View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently August 22nd, 2014, 7:47 pm

Reply to topic  [ 112 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Cost To Drive a Volt 
Post Cost To Drive a Volt
This was from an email, so it may be fuzzy math, but I'd like for people that "know" to pick it apart if they can. I've never driven a Volt and I know nothing about them. I just found the figures staggering:

Quote:
Cost to operate a Chevy Volt - Things are not what we are led to believe.

Eric Bolling (Fox Business Channel's Follow the Money) test drove the Chevy Volt at the invitation of General Motors.

For four days in a row, the fully charged battery lasted only 25 miles before the Volt switched to the reserve gasoline engine.
Eric calculated the car got 30 mpg including the 25 miles it ran on the battery. So, the range including the 9 gallon gas tank and the 16 kwh battery is approximately 270 miles. It will take you 4 1/2 hours to drive 270 miles at 60 mph. Then add 10 hours to charge the battery and you have a total trip time of 14.5 hours. In a typical road trip your average speed (including charging time) would be 20 mph.
According to General Motors, the Volt battery hold 16 kwh of electricity. It takes a full 10 hours to charge a drained battery.

The cost for the electricity to charge the Volt is never mentioned so I looked up what I pay for electricity.

I pay approximately (it varies with amount used and the seasons) $1.16 per kwh.

16 kwh x $1.16 per kwh = $18.56 to charge the battery.

$18.56 per charge divided by 25 miles = $0.74 per mile to operate the Volt using the battery.

Compare this to a similar size car with a gasoline engine only that gets 32 mpg.

$3.19 per gallon divided by 32 mpg = $0.10 per mile.

The gasoline powered car cost about $15,000 while the Volt costs $46,000.

So Obama wants us to pay 3 times as much for a car that costs more than 7 time as much to run and takes 3 times as long to drive across country.

February 21st, 2012, 3:41 pm
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

Post Re: Cost To Drive a Volt
That doesn't surprise me at all and that's why I call them Volts For Dolts! :D

Also, I'd like to add that Comrade Maobama's budget calls for the subsidy for electric cars to increase from $7500 to $10,000. Fortunately, most Americans are against this.
Rasmussen wrote:
29% Favor $10,000 Subsidies for Electric Car Buyers
Tuesday, February 21, 2012

President Obama in his latest budget has proposed $10,000 subsidies to encourage the purchase of electric cars with his goal of having one million of the vehicles on the road by 2015. But voters by a two-to-one margin oppose taxpayer-funded subsidies for this purpose.

Just 29% of Likely U.S. Voters favor $10,000 government subsidies to encourage the purchase of electric cars, according to the latest Rasmussen Reports national telephone survey. Fifty-eight percent (58%) are opposed to such subsidies. Thirteen percent (13%) are undecided. (To see survey question wording, click here.)

The survey of 1,000 Likely Voters was conducted on February 18-19, 2012 by Rasmussen Reports. The margin of sampling error is +/- 3 percentage points with a 95% level of confidence. Field work for all Rasmussen Reports surveys is conducted by Pulse Opinion Research, LLC. See methodology.

link

February 21st, 2012, 4:08 pm
Player of the Year - Defense

The volt was a stupid idea. The leaf is much better. It doesn't make any sense to buy them now, just like it didn't make sense to buy Blu-Ray players when they cost $1000 or HD TVs when they cost $10,000. But one day it will. I like that businesses are laying the groundwork for the future, but I don't think the government should get involved.

February 21st, 2012, 9:04 pm

February 22nd, 2012, 12:33 am
RIP Killer

It's funny, because I had a volt as a loaner car for a weekend. Battery was damn near dead - 4 hour charge. What kind of goofy rectum trickle charge was this guy using? So call it stupid, sly can slurp down the hater-aid, but it's just more people rambling about something they know very little about

The leaf is hideous and it has a REAL range of 75 miles at best. Most people get about 60-75. Wow. (sarcastic). So much for that advertised 100 mile range. Yes, the volt is way, way over priced and was a belly flop for all the years of hype it got, but it's still got potential based on the concept and has actually gotten more love in the engineering and science world than the leaf.

FYI - the leaf is nearly $35K...hardly worth it.

The message here - don't believe all the garbage out there on the Internet, because most of it is in fact, garbage.

February 22nd, 2012, 12:38 am
RIP Killer

Hey sly, where's your anti-Nissan picture? If your going to hate, hate fairly and hate on all electric car manufacturers. We're not going to let hypocrisy get in the way, are we?

February 22nd, 2012, 12:43 am

While I don't like the Leaf either, I don't have any funny pictures of it at the moment. Sorry, dude. Besides, it costs less, isn't built by Government Motors, doesn't catch on fire for no reason, and is listed as the 3rd greenest car, while the Volt isn't in the top 12. Don't Hate! Appreciate!
http://www.greenercars.org/highlights_greenest.htm

February 22nd, 2012, 12:58 am
RIP Killer

That's funny, because the gas engine alone in the volt gets better mileage than the rollerskate...err...yaris and the cr-z. Hell, even the so highly ranked civic. Where's the elantra? It gets much better mileage than the civic. Wow, looks like pretty trashy numbers...

February 22nd, 2012, 1:12 am

You could be right about the rankings. I simply don't know. I just remembered seeing that list this morning and decided to post it after your comment. Since the name of the site is greenercars.org, one can only assume that it's run by a bunch of EnviroNazis and we all know their record of telling the truth isn't the greatest, so..... :D

February 22nd, 2012, 1:23 am
conversion02 wrote:
It's funny, because I had a volt as a loaner car for a weekend. Battery was damn near dead - 4 hour charge. What kind of goofy rectum trickle charge was this guy using? So call it stupid, sly can slurp down the hater-aid, but it's just more people rambling about something they know very little about

The leaf is hideous and it has a REAL range of 75 miles at best. Most people get about 60-75. Wow. (sarcastic). So much for that advertised 100 mile range. Yes, the volt is way, way over priced and was a belly flop for all the years of hype it got, but it's still got potential based on the concept and has actually gotten more love in the engineering and science world than the leaf.

FYI - the leaf is nearly $35K...hardly worth it.

The message here - don't believe all the garbage out there on the Internet, because most of it is in fact, garbage.

I see you refuting Sly's bashing of the leaf, but where is your argument against the proposed fact that the Volt costs 700xs more to operate than a traditional fuel efficient vehicle?

February 22nd, 2012, 2:47 am
QB Coach

So how many Volts does Al Gore own?

If they keep this up they will have a reVolt on their hands.

2 Chronicles 10:14, "if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land."

February 22nd, 2012, 9:19 am
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

I get all of my information from email forwards, so I really don't see the problem here. I try not to google " [Email Subject Matter] snopes" too often because let's face it, dealing with facts is such a downer.

February 22nd, 2012, 9:57 am
Player of the Year - Defense

I think the reason people aren't bashing the leaf in comparison to the volt is that it didn't take subsidized tax payer dollars to build the leaf where it directly went to the volt. And the leaf getting 75miles to the charge is better than 25 miles to a charge. The point is that you don't need huge handouts from the government to develop superior technology. Will the technology get better over the years? Yes, but in the meantime they're giving out billions to get results that are 1/4 of the performance of those not getting the handouts.

February 22nd, 2012, 11:45 am
thelomasbrowns wrote:
I get all of my information from email forwards, so I really don't see the problem here. I try not to google " [Email Subject Matter] snopes" too often because let's face it, dealing with facts is such a downer.

IDK - I have found Snopes to be biased and bullsh!t in the past. I would rather post on here and have one of the engineers on the site, or someone with real experience with the Volt post stuff. Conversion is great at breaking down factual stuff like this, and I trust him a lot more than a website.

February 22nd, 2012, 2:54 pm
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

where does the Tesla rate? does anyone know? Thats a company that I've been eyeballing since Steens brought it to my attention.

February 22nd, 2012, 5:15 pm
Reply to topic   [ 112 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next