View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently July 31st, 2014, 1:48 pm

Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 1st Round Pick 

Who do you like?
Janoris Jenkins-CB 6%  6%  [ 2 ]
Nick Perry-DE 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
Luke Kuechly-LB 9%  9%  [ 3 ]
Cordy Glenn-G/T 12%  12%  [ 4 ]
Peter Konz-C/G 39%  39%  [ 13 ]
Mike Adams-T 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Mark Barron-S 30%  30%  [ 10 ]
Total votes : 33

1st Round Pick 
5th Round Pick - Traded

Post 1st Round Pick
Based on current big board rankings, looks to me that these could be the potential options for the Lions in the 1st.

February 22nd, 2012, 8:45 am
Varsity Captain

Post Re: 1st Round Pick
already into a very busy day

February 22nd, 2012, 11:06 am
Team MVP

I've been campaigning for Konz since any draft talk started, and now the option is there on a poll and I cannot answer lol. My choice is between Konz, Jenkins, and Barron. I see the sense in all 3 picks. I like Konz as an immediate starter IMO, and eventual replacement at Center. I think he would be an upgrade to our running game and our interior line that needs a big upgrade.

I LOVE the talent level of Jenkins. Obviously the off-the-field stuff is a concern, but you simply cannot ignore his potential. I think it would be hard to argue the fact that he could probably start day 1 on our team.

Barron would most likely fill arguably the biggest need on our defense, and thats SS. Hes a good tackler, can cover TEs well, and is instinctive.

With that said, I do believe if Wright is re-signed that our CBs are good enough (at least for another year), but think our S position is the weakest of our defensive positions. And as much as I like Konz, our offense can already score a lot of points even though our running game isnt that good. One can argue that we HAVE to start upgrading our weak and aging O-line, and I believe that is very true. BUT, to win games now I think our defense has to be able to stop other teams from scoring. Someone (I believe it was M2karateman), had some VERY good points that he backed up with statistics and accurate information about the top teams that were able to stop other teams from scoring, and i have to say it was very hard not to agree with that. I think adding Mark Barron would go the farthest in terms of that.

If we drafted any of those 3, I would be very happy, but I think I would narrow my selection down to Konz and Barron, then finally having to opt to go with Barron.

Edited: I would like to add that even though those are my top 3, I would be happy with any of those guys.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

February 22nd, 2012, 11:40 am
RIP Killer

I am very much on the Peter Konz band wagon right now. I think his selection would solve both short term and long term issues. Cut Peterman now, replace Raiola next year. He's far and away the best center available. The second best (Ben Jones) isn't even close.

I was completely against Janoris Jenkins, and still have my apprehensions. However, if the Lions were to select him (if Konz is taken before) I would be OK with it. But, I really think some other team ahead of the Lions will be taking Jenkins. I'd be somewhat surprised if he lasts that long, especially if he performs well at the Combines.

Cordy Glenn is another player I wouldn't mind them taking at 23 if Konz is already off the board. I am very much an advocate of the idea of upgrading our offensive line, even though I realize the defense is the weaker of the two units. Mark Barron, I feel, is a reach at 23 since I don't consider him a real strong coverage player, which is what I feel we need next to Delmas. If the Lions could move down a few spots, then I'd feel more comfortable with that pick.

Mike Adams is another player I feel will be taken ahead of our pick. I have mixed emotions about him. Love his potential, but he's inconsistent as hell. Some folks hate Backus, but you can't say he wasn't consistent. At least we knew what we had from day to day, play to play. If he's on the board, Konz and Glenn are gone, and the Lions lost Backus in FA and didn't sign a replacement, I guess we'd have no choice.

February 22nd, 2012, 1:22 pm
m2karateman wrote:
I am very much on the Peter Konz band wagon right now. I think his selection would solve both short term and long term issues. Cut Peterman now, replace Raiola next year. He's far and away the best center available. The second best (Ben Jones) isn't even close.

I was completely against Janoris Jenkins, and still have my apprehensions. However, if the Lions were to select him (if Konz is taken before) I would be OK with it. But, I really think some other team ahead of the Lions will be taking Jenkins. I'd be somewhat surprised if he lasts that long, especially if he performs well at the Combines.

Cordy Glenn is another player I wouldn't mind them taking at 23 if Konz is already off the board. I am very much an advocate of the idea of upgrading our offensive line, even though I realize the defense is the weaker of the two units. Mark Barron, I feel, is a reach at 23 since I don't consider him a real strong coverage player, which is what I feel we need next to Delmas. If the Lions could move down a few spots, then I'd feel more comfortable with that pick.

Mike Adams is another player I feel will be taken ahead of our pick. I have mixed emotions about him. Love his potential, but he's inconsistent as hell. Some folks hate Backus, but you can't say he wasn't consistent. At least we knew what we had from day to day, play to play. If he's on the board, Konz and Glenn are gone, and the Lions lost Backus in FA and didn't sign a replacement, I guess we'd have no choice.

I feel like Adams is going to be the pick, and I hate it. I mention this in another thread, but I think we're going to do something dumb, like not bring back Backus, draft Adams, and go into next season with Adams as our starting LT, and not much to back him up. I think Adams' inconsistent play is going to make the team worse, not better this year, and I think that's a huge mistake. While Adams has the potential to be a great LT, and he may well turn into that, IMO this team needs to make a run with what we have, while we have it. Playoffs two years in a row will help us keep our talent and attract future FAs, and going further in the playoffs would be a huge bonus. If we draft Mike Adams, IMO, we hurt our chances of that.

I think our FO is looking at Adams OVER Kontz, meaning, if both are there, Adams is the pick, and I hate it. Kontz is basically the only player that I see there that unarguably makes this team better THIS YEAR. On top of that, he frees up cap room. Drafting Kontz allows us to cut EITHER Gos or Peterman, he would be a cheaper replacement, and he would be a significant upgrade. He would shave 7 years off of our OL (replacing Peterman), he adds size, strength, and he should be able to help out Dom's weak rectum at OC. Replacing Dom at OC next year saves something like $2 million dollars, much needed cap space. I like Glenn as well (he's probably a better pure OG), but he lacks the ability to move to OC and replace Dom. That's a huge luxury that's not to be over-looked. Not having to go into any season with an inexperienced OC would be awesome.

February 22nd, 2012, 4:01 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

wjb21ndtown wrote:
m2karateman wrote:

I feel like Adams is going to be the pick, and I hate it. I mention this in another thread, but I think we're going to do something dumb, like not bring back Backus, draft Adams, and go into next season with Adams as our starting LT, and not much to back him up. I think Adams' inconsistent play is going to make the team worse, not better this year, and I think that's a huge mistake. While Adams has the potential to be a great LT, and he may well turn into that, IMO this team needs to make a run with what we have, while we have it. Playoffs two years in a row will help us keep our talent and attract future FAs, and going further in the playoffs would be a huge bonus. If we draft Mike Adams, IMO, we hurt our chances of that.

I think our FO is looking at Adams OVER Kontz, meaning, if both are there, Adams is the pick, and I hate it. Kontz is basically the only player that I see there that unarguably makes this team better THIS YEAR. On top of that, he frees up cap room. Drafting Kontz allows us to cut EITHER Gos or Peterman, he would be a cheaper replacement, and he would be a significant upgrade. He would shave 7 years off of our OL (replacing Peterman), he adds size, strength, and he should be able to help out Dom's weak rectum at OC. Replacing Dom at OC next year saves something like $2 million dollars, much needed cap space. I like Glenn as well (he's probably a better pure OG), but he lacks the ability to move to OC and replace Dom. That's a huge luxury that's not to be over-looked. Not having to go into any season with an inexperienced OC would be awesome.

Why not draft Adams and install him at RT, cut Gos, and then move him over after a year or two?

February 22nd, 2012, 4:04 pm
Then what? Re-sign Backus? Allegedly Culbreath is going to be our RT next year - we'll see I guess. I just wouldn't want to burn a first rounder replacing someone that isn't all that bad (I don't like Gos, but he's servicable). As long as his escalator isn't too big I think we should keep him around for depth (inside and outside), even if Culbreath is going to be our starter. Maybe we can trade Gos for a 2nd-3rd round pick to someone that wants to use him as an OG?

February 22nd, 2012, 4:07 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

wjb21ndtown wrote:
Then what? Re-sign Backus? Allegedly Culbreath is going to be our RT next year - we'll see I guess. I just wouldn't want to burn a first rounder replacing someone that isn't all that bad (I don't like Gos, but he's servicable). As long as his escalator isn't too big I think we should keep him around for depth (inside and outside), even if Culbreath is going to be our starter. Maybe we can trade Gos for a 2nd-3rd round pick to someone that wants to use him as an OG?

Yeah, you would have to re-sign Backus in that scenario. I doubt Gos would have much trade value, unfortunately.

February 22nd, 2012, 4:09 pm
Team MVP

thelomasbrowns wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:

Yeah, you would have to re-sign Backus in that scenario. I doubt Gos would have much trade value, unfortunately.

Definetely not a 2nd rounder, and doubt even a 3rd.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

February 22nd, 2012, 4:21 pm
thelomasbrowns wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:

Swapping Gos (a stronger more mature player) for Adams (an inexperienced, probably more intelligent player), seems kind of like a wash to me. It doesn't allow us to get any younger, or really any better, IMO. It may give us our "RT for the future" or possibly allows us to groom Adams at RT to be able to move him to LT next year, but then it leaves us another hole at RT next year. It just seems like a lot of movement to me, on a unit that is supposed to gain strength by being cohesive.

February 22nd, 2012, 4:27 pm
RIP Killer

First choice = Konz, second choice = Glenn.

I think this area in the draft is a sweet spot for OL most years and this doesn't look to be an exception. I realize defense is our weak spot, however, you have to look at value still and those players both project well to the Lions spot.

That said, I'm not going to fall in love with either because Mayhew is all about value and players are going to be falling as they always do. It will be particularly interesting when a couple of CBs and/or LBs fall to 23 (or DE if we don't resign Avril).

Also, at quick glance it does look like there may be some CB, interior OL and LB (lots of LB) options with our pick at 54.

February 22nd, 2012, 5:08 pm
Profile WWW
Team MVP

Pablo wrote:
First choice = Konz, second choice = Glenn.

I think this area in the draft is a sweet spot for OL most years and this doesn't look to be an exception. I realize defense is our weak spot, however, you have to look at value still and those players both project well to the Lions spot.

That said, I'm not going to fall in love with either because Mayhew is all about value and players are going to be falling as they always do. It will be particularly interesting when a couple of CBs and/or LBs fall to 23 (or DE if we don't resign Avril).

Also, at quick glance it does look like there may be some CB, interior OL and LB (lots of LB) options with our pick at 54.

This post and a few before this kinda made me realize that I probably should switch my choice of Konz/Barron around (not that what I think really means anything). I still really like Barron, but as some may say, he might be a reach at this point. I probably should know better that you dont always base your draft pick on NEED. The thing with Konz is that his position(s) (Center/guard) ARE a need, and the draft pick of Konz is of great value also.

If we picked Barron, i would be happy, but the more I think about it there is a reason ive been a supporter of drafting Konz this whole time.

(Does anyone find it a little strange that some so called draft analysts think Konz will last til the 2nd round?)

February 22nd, 2012, 5:45 pm
5th Round Pick - Traded

My choice was Kuechly. As Pablo pointed out Mayhew is all about value, and some higher rated players will fall to us. Additionally, his observation " at quick glance it does look like there may be some CB, interior OL and LB (lots of LB) options with our pick at 54 " has me continuing to hope for a trade back.

February 22nd, 2012, 6:05 pm
RIP Killer

As for Barron, I have him rated below the two interior OL. I would, however, rank safety as perhaps our single biggest need. That said, we need safeties who are strong in coverage (although he seems to have decent ball skills) and not pure strong safeties. Also, I would have like to see him at the combine but he won't attend due to his double-hernia surgery - ouch! (He also had a torn pectoral muscle last year which is probably why he didn't come out as a JR).

He is a big hitter of which we have plenty, and I really would have liked to see his 40 time cause he didn't look all that fast to me when I saw Alabama play although he wasn't particularly slow either.

If we already had a solid coverage corner he might be a good choice but I don't see that as the case.

February 22nd, 2012, 6:14 pm
Profile WWW
Pablo wrote:
As for Barron, I have him rated below the two interior OL. I would, however, rank safety as perhaps our single biggest need. That said, we need safeties who are strong in coverage (although he seems to have decent ball skills) and not pure strong safeties. Also, I would have like to see him at the combine but he won't attend due to his double-hernia surgery - ouch! (He also had a torn pectoral muscle last year which is probably why he didn't come out as a JR).

He is a big hitter of which we have plenty, and I really would have liked to see his 40 time cause he didn't look all that fast to me when I saw Alabama play although he wasn't particularly slow either.

If we already had a solid coverage corner he might be a good choice but I don't see that as the case.

M2, what do you think the chances are that Dre Kirpatrick, Levonte David, or Stephen Gilmore will be asked to play FS/SS in the NFL?

February 22nd, 2012, 6:25 pm
Reply to topic   [ 79 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next