View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently August 21st, 2014, 4:26 am

Reply to topic  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Tigers sign Prince Fielder to nine-year, $214 million deal 
Heisman Winner

Post Re: Tigers sign Prince Fielder to nine-year, $214 million de
The Legend wrote:
signing fielder = good idea and trying to move cabrera to third and play fielder at first = good idea with a high likelihood to ultimately fail. if cabrera doesnt hold up there its not an epic failure of a signing by adjusting and putting inge or kelly back at third. the failure would be continuing to play cabrera at 3b despite repeated incompetence there. i dont have a problem with them trying this experiment but Im just curious to see how stubborn they are going to be trying to make this work.

That's just it I don't think Leland will be stubborn about this move, he has a full on man crush on Inge and will try to get him in the game any way possible.

February 2nd, 2012, 8:46 am
Veteran General Manager

Cabrera played 3rd Base for the Marlins. True, he never won/never will win a gold glove award. But, the fact is he was ranked 20th in 3rd base defense. That means there were 10 players who were worse.

I think a whole lot of people are spazzing out over nothing. When he came to the Tigers and moved to 1st base, it was a rough transition. But, you know what? The man busted his butt to learn how to play 1st base and he gradually improved.

He will bust his butt to improve defensively at 3rd. And like I said earlier in this thread, there is a small percentage of balls that even get hit to 3rd base in the 1st place. Of those balls, he is going field at least 75% of those cleanly.

The vast majority of ground balls on the infield go to 2nd Base and SS. Pretty much the only ground balls he will have to field are the bunts that will come his way. The rest are the scortchers that his natural self defense reflexes will take care of for him.

He's a corner infielder. He doesn't need to be a gold glove winner, if we are strong defensively at 2nd and SS.

February 2nd, 2012, 10:00 am
League MVP

billy i just gave you the defensive stats man, its not that cabrera cant field the ball when its hit to him - he can do that. its more about how many balls will he get to. when inge was in his prime defensively on avg he was getting to 140 balls more per season at 3b than cabrera was - thats a ridiculous number. inge isnt that good anymore (remember cabrera is older and probably worse at 3b than when he was 23 also) but looking at there career averages its closer to 100 balls/season which cabrera can make up for at the plate but shouldnt Cabby or Fielder be DHing instead of Delmon Young and put someone at 3b that can get to those balls - even Kelly or Worth it doesnt have to be Inge? We should use Cabrera at 3b in spurts this season and start the transition - mostly interleague and get him ready there in case we make the world series but unless VMart or some other true stud is DH I dont see the urgency to do this full time. its not really an advantage to have cabrera at 3b until vmart is back

February 3rd, 2012, 2:01 am
Veteran General Manager

Post Re: Tigers sign Prince Fielder to nine-year, $214 million
BillySims wrote:
conversion02 wrote:
Its just too bad the defense will be so atrocious.

Miggy at 3B = awful
Peralta at SS = average at best
Raburn at 2B = horrendous

Worst defensive infield in baseball and quite possibly the most power at the plate lol

Mr I is going all in, that's for sure. Now trade that liability in Young for a 2B and sign Cespedes to man LF

If we can get good defensively at SS and 2nd, we can get by with Fielder and Cabrera at the corners.

So, Inge could become our new 2nd Baseman. 2nd Basemen are notoriously bad hitters. So, he fits the role. Inge's defense is great at every position he plays.

So, either we are going with the DH by committee, or, we are still looking for a DH.

Did I call that move or what?

Quote:
Tigers Look to Inge at Second Base: Fan Reaction

By D. Benjamin Satkowiak, Yahoo! Contributor Network 9 hours, 4 minutes ago
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ycn-10978134

February 17th, 2012, 6:29 pm
Post Re: Tigers sign Prince Fielder to nine-year, $214 million
BillySims wrote:
BillySims wrote:
conversion02 wrote:
Its just too bad the defense will be so atrocious.

Miggy at 3B = awful
Peralta at SS = average at best
Raburn at 2B = horrendous

Worst defensive infield in baseball and quite possibly the most power at the plate lol

Mr I is going all in, that's for sure. Now trade that liability in Young for a 2B and sign Cespedes to man LF

If we can get good defensively at SS and 2nd, we can get by with Fielder and Cabrera at the corners.

So, Inge could become our new 2nd Baseman. 2nd Basemen are notoriously bad hitters. So, he fits the role. Inge's defense is great at every position he plays.

So, either we are going with the DH by committee, or, we are still looking for a DH.

Did I call that move or what?

Quote:
Tigers Look to Inge at Second Base: Fan Reaction

By D. Benjamin Satkowiak, Yahoo! Contributor Network 9 hours, 4 minutes ago
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ycn-10978134

Honestly, I would rather play Peralta at 2nd base and Inge at SS if they are able. Prince is a pretty decent 1st baseman, but I have my doubts about Miggy's range playing 3rd. If someone is going to cover for someone I'd rather Inge cover for Miggy than for Prince. Miggy will need more help.

February 17th, 2012, 6:42 pm
Team MVP

Inge at 2nd..sounds good to me.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

February 18th, 2012, 2:27 pm
Heisman Winner

Not sure if this is the best spot to post this but I was reading an article on MLB.com regarding Prince arriving to Lakeland for camp and reading the comments and found this well thought out comment.

Quote:
genoblitz 26 minutes ago
Prince will make Miguel.... KING!

The disaster that is about to unfold at 3B for the Tigers this season.....has happened before!

Having a THIRD BASEMAN who only fields in the .950's% has spelled the end of many careers in the past.
All you guys out there who rip Detroit for moving Cabrera and signing Fielder....are RIGHT!!!

Just look at this list of FAILURES & LOSERS who played 3B with a lifetime FLD% in the .950's......
(some of you may want to ask your kids to leave the room...it's that bad)

The list of losers starts in...........COOPERSTOWN NEW YORK
HALL OF FAMER - Eddie Mathews .956%.............
HALL OF FAMER - Mike Schmidt .955%.............
HALL OF FAMER - Ron Santo .954%.............
HALL OF FAMER - George Brett .951%.............
HALL OF FAMER - Harmon Killabrew .940%.............

It gets sicker......Look at the pathetic and vile list of non HOF failures below.....Disgusting........

Ken Boyer .952% (MVP Winner & 5 Gold Gloves)
Bill Madlock .948% (4 Time Batting Crowns & WS Championship)
Chipper Jones .954% (MVP Winner & WS Championship)

The list could go on & on & on & on........

So by looking at this sad, sad grupe of Third Base UnderAchievers.....we are in for a long season!!!

I mean, how are we going to win games with a 3B-Man that has the same FLD% as George Brett?

A long, long season indeed...........CUZ WE'LL BE PLAYING IN LATE OCTOBER....... :)

It's not all doom and gloom regarding the move to 3rd for Miggy.

February 20th, 2012, 10:41 pm
Team MVP

Im not worried one bit.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

February 21st, 2012, 6:31 pm
League MVP

again fielding percentage doesnt tell the whole story. it tells you nothing about range. cabrera has good hands, thats not in doubt. the information presented in this article misses the point. why would you have a guy play 3b when there is room for him to DH? VMart wont be back until spring training 2013 at the earliest.

February 22nd, 2012, 1:55 am
The Legend wrote:
again fielding percentage doesnt tell the whole story. it tells you nothing about range. cabrera has good hands, thats not in doubt. the information presented in this article misses the point. why would you have a guy play 3b when there is room for him to DH? VMart wont be back until spring training 2013 at the earliest.

Screw you and your reason, Miggy is 100x better at 3rd than George Brett....

Bunch of morons...

February 22nd, 2012, 2:33 am
Heisman Winner

wjb21ndtown wrote:
The Legend wrote:

Bunch of morons...

Nice, because that's exactly what the point of the post I quoted. It had nothing to do with helping people understand fielding percentage doesn't always point to a bad defensive player but actually saying Miguel is the best 3rd basemen to have ever played professional baseball.

As for range issue, I really don't think the Tigers have a better opinion to put their that would make that much of a difference offensively and defensively. Inge is way past his prime (which was very short lived) and no free agents are available that would be a major upgrade to Miggy. Also it would be hard to argue anything regarding range since there isn't a stat that measure range in a statistical fashion.

February 22nd, 2012, 8:09 pm
Veteran General Manager

aManNamedSuh wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
The Legend wrote:

Bunch of morons...

Nice, because that's exactly what the point of the post I quoted. It had nothing to do with helping people understand fielding percentage doesn't always point to a bad defensive player but actually saying Miguel is the best 3rd basemen to have ever played professional baseball.

As for range issue, I really don't think the Tigers have a better opinion to put their that would make that much of a difference offensively and defensively. Inge is way past his prime (which was very short lived) and no free agents are available that would be a major upgrade to Miggy. Also it would be hard to argue anything regarding range since there isn't a stat that measure range in a statistical fashion.

To the bolded part.

WRONG. I just bought a new gas range and it was rated 1000 BTU's. LOL.

February 22nd, 2012, 8:19 pm
Heisman Winner

BillySims wrote:
aManNamedSuh wrote:

To the bolded part.

WRONG. I just bought a new gas range and it was rated 1000 BTU's. LOL.

You got me there.

February 22nd, 2012, 8:27 pm
League MVP

Quote:
The Legend wrote:

Quote:
wjb wrote:

Bunch of morons
right back at you and whoever wrote that article.

george brett won a gold glove, ron santo won 5, and schmidt won 10 of them. 3/5 listed in that blurb won gold gloves. nuff said

February 24th, 2012, 8:57 pm
The Legend wrote:
Quote:
The Legend wrote:

Quote:
wjb wrote:

Bunch of morons
right back at you and whoever wrote that article.

george brett won a gold glove, ron santo won 5, and schmidt won 10 of them. 3/5 listed in that blurb won gold gloves. nuff said

You do realize that my post was sarcastic, right? We've been on the same side of this debate since it started.

February 24th, 2012, 10:37 pm
Reply to topic   [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next