View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently July 25th, 2014, 4:01 pm

Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Offensive Tackles 
Veteran General Manager

Post Offensive Tackles
I have heard people mention Mike Adams, OT, Ohio State as a possible pick at #23.

Well, he is proving to be a waist bender with bad footwork and no punch at the Senior Bowl practices this week. In other words, he is Gosder Cherilus. Don't waste the pick.

January 26th, 2012, 9:35 pm
Team MVP

Post Re: Offensive Tackles
I agree Billy. Everything Ive read about him at the senior bowl isn't good. I'm sure his stock has fallen unless he delivers on Saturday.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

January 27th, 2012, 2:06 am
RIP Killer

kdsberman wrote:
I agree Billy. Everything Ive read about him at the senior bowl isn't good. I'm sure his stock has fallen unless he delivers on Saturday.

I don't know which sites you guys are reading, but on the couple sites I've looked at, they show Mike Adams as being pretty strong at practice, having stonewalled a number of good defensive ends on a consistent basis, and showing very agile feet for a guy his size. Yes, he bends too much at the waist. That was mentioned. But at a legitimate 6'7", that can be expected.

I don't know that I want the Lions to pick him, but I'm just pointing out that there's contradicting statements made.

I still would like to see the Lions go with Peter Konz. However, Cordy Glenn would be pretty solid as well. He's had a pretty good Senior Bowl week, and showed he can play LT in a pinch, but definitely could be a replacement for either Peterman or Cherilus.

Nice problem to have...if they are still on the board that late.

January 27th, 2012, 2:45 pm
Team MVP

m2karateman wrote:
kdsberman wrote:

I don't know which sites you guys are reading, but on the couple sites I've looked at, they show Mike Adams as being pretty strong at practice, having stonewalled a number of good defensive ends on a consistent basis, and showing very agile feet for a guy his size. Yes, he bends too much at the waist. That was mentioned. But at a legitimate 6'7", that can be expected.

I don't know that I want the Lions to pick him, but I'm just pointing out that there's contradicting statements made.

I still would like to see the Lions go with Peter Konz. However, Cordy Glenn would be pretty solid as well. He's had a pretty good Senior Bowl week, and showed he can play LT in a pinch, but definitely could be a replacement for either Peterman or Cherilus.

I got my info from NationalFootballPost.com

As far as Konz goes, i am still 100% with you and probably will never change my mind about Konz. Hes number one on my list for Lions picks at 23 and hope to God they take him.

From what ive read about Cordy Glenn, he really has looked good. Some question his weight and how he handles it, but the guy flat out takes defenders out of the play. I havent had much of a chance to see him on passing plays, but Ive impressed with his run blocking. According to what I've read, hes really looked good in pass protection.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

January 27th, 2012, 5:36 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

I'm getting the vibe that some O-lineman who most people thought would be long gone is going to fall into our laps at 23. Seems like are too many good ones and too many teams with other needs.

January 27th, 2012, 10:51 pm
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

It seems Mike Adams has been inconsistant at best..not something I want protecting the franchise QB. Unless we are securing Reiff or Khalil via trade I woudl have wait on a OT.

January 27th, 2012, 11:36 pm
5th Round Pick - Traded

kdsberman wrote:
m2karateman wrote:
kdsberman wrote:

As far as Konz goes, i am still 100% with you and probably will never change my mind about Konz. Hes number one on my list for Lions picks at 23 and hope to God they take him.

From what ive read about Cordy Glenn, he really has looked good. Some question his weight and how he handles it, but the guy flat out takes defenders out of the play. I havent had much of a chance to see him on passing plays, but Ive impressed with his run blocking. According to what I've read, hes really looked good in pass protection.

Have watched the Senior Bowl practices on NFL Network all week. Glenn has been the most impressive O-lineman in drills, and has Mayock gushing about his ability to play 4 positions on the offensive line. Flat out dominating at guard, and when playing left tackle was most impressive their as well. we'll see on game day because that will be the best barometer.
My only reservations about Konz is that he's had injuries every year for the last 3 seasons. Is that a propensity? Makes me wonder. I wouldn't be surprised to see him fall to the later part of the 1st, if not the 2nd round.

January 28th, 2012, 10:10 am
Veteran General Manager

kdsberman wrote:
m2karateman wrote:
kdsberman wrote:

I got my info from Sirius XM's NFL channel. Tim Ryan and Pat Kirwan have been at the Senior Bowl all week. If we go O-line, Cordy Glenn is my guy.

January 28th, 2012, 11:44 am
Team MVP

BillySims wrote:
kdsberman wrote:
m2karateman wrote:
kdsberman wrote:

I got my info from Sirius XM's NFL channel. Tim Ryan and Pat Kirwan have been at the Senior Bowl all week. If we go O-line, Cordy Glenn is my guy.

I wouldnt be opposed to that. Where would you want him playing, guard or LT (if he can handle it)?

January 28th, 2012, 4:23 pm
Veteran General Manager

kdsberman wrote:
BillySims wrote:
kdsberman wrote:
m2karateman wrote:
kdsberman wrote:

I wouldnt be opposed to that. Where would you want him playing, guard or LT (if he can handle it)?

I would not advocate drafting a Guard in the 1st round. I would resign Backus for 3 year at a reasonable contract and play Glenn at RT for a year and see how he handles that. If he does well, I swap Backus and Glenn the next year on the understanding that if Glenn gets overwhelmed, they can be switched right back. Lot's of preseason cross training.

January 29th, 2012, 10:51 pm
Varsity Captain

I dont want Mike Adams!! too many off field situations..
Cordy Glenn seems better to me.
who knows where mayhew picks though, im guessing he takes another DT. or a punter.
we need someone to keep stafford off his back foot...
i wish they showed the combine here:(

February 23rd, 2012, 11:59 am
Team MVP

If they do go O-line at #23, I wish it would be guard because past Riley Reiff I dont like any of the OTs, at least to play LT. Heck, if they can move up the past 2 years, I kinda wish they move up this year and take DeCastro..but that probably isnt the best idea and probably wont happen. Sure would make all us Lions fans jump off our seat though when the big TRADE word comes on the screen and shows the Lions!

February 23rd, 2012, 1:22 pm
QB Coach

Someone will probably totally disprove me with stuff like facts and examples, but I feel it's easier to get a quality guard later in the draft than it is to get a quality LT. I don't like some of what I'm hearing about Adams, but one guy I've been somewhat intrigued by is Jon Martin. I just don't know what to think of the guy overall though, plus he'll likely be gone in the teens.

February 23rd, 2012, 2:19 pm
RIP Killer

inheritedlionsfan wrote:
Someone will probably totally disprove me with stuff like facts and examples, but I feel it's easier to get a quality guard later in the draft than it is to get a quality LT. I don't like some of what I'm hearing about Adams, but one guy I've been somewhat intrigued by is Jon Martin. I just don't know what to think of the guy overall though, plus he'll likely be gone in the teens.

Guards are, as a general rule, typically drafted in mid-level rounds. So most of your "quality" guards will come from there. Yes, occasionally a team will burn a first round pick on a guard in round one. Usually those players do turn out to be better than your average guards. Guys like Logan Mankins and Steve Hutchinson went in round one.

Since franchise left tackles are so highly prized, that's where teams usually shop for them, in round one. Not all quality tackles have to be selected there, but most come from there simply because teams value them as such.

Jon Martin is loved by some, not so much by others. I saw one analyst who stated he felt Martin was the best left tackle prospect in this draft, including Matt Kalil, to be an immediate starter. He felt Martin was more polished and had a better overall set of skills. However, he did acknowledge that Kalil has more upside and could ultimately be one of the best in the business. He just felt that for a team that needs an immediate starter, Martin was the better choice. There are still others I've seen who feel Martin is no better than Mike Adams, and have him ranked lower than Adams. Some of them feel Martin was the beneficiary of having DeCastro next to him. Maybe they are right, but who knows?

February 23rd, 2012, 3:00 pm
Genn will never play OT in the NFL, period. He is a pure OG, which is why I would rather draft Kontz, and you have to remember, when you're drafting Kontz you're not drafting an OG, you're drafting an OC, and great ones usually come at a premium. In addition, you're drafting an excellent solution to replacing Raiola. This move allows us to play Kontz next to Raiola this year, learn the offense, bulk up, mature, and learn the speed of the game) and then cut Raiola next year and save something like $3.0 million dollars of much needed cap space. That's huge. Drafting Kontz is also getting a $3 million dollar bonus of cap space next year.

Again, no-brainer.

February 23rd, 2012, 4:33 pm
Reply to topic   [ 54 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next