View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently July 23rd, 2014, 4:29 pm

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Finley Signed 
QB Coach

Post Finley Signed
The Pack and Finley have agreed to a 2 year $15M deal.

Come on guys lets get Avril signed

February 22nd, 2012, 10:44 pm
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

Post Re: Finley Signed
That's a good deal for Finley. He has a ton of potential but was rather disappointing this year. I should know since I had him on 2 fantasy teams. :lol:

February 23rd, 2012, 1:34 am
RIP Killer

slybri19 wrote:
That's a good deal for Finley. He has a ton of potential but was rather disappointing this year. I should know since I had him on 2 fantasy teams. :lol:

55 receptions with 14 recorded drops....but according to a certain someone on this forum Finley is a better TE than Pettigrew. :twisted:

February 23rd, 2012, 3:02 pm
Team MVP

m2karateman wrote:
slybri19 wrote:

55 receptions with 14 recorded drops....but according to a certain someone on this forum Finley is a better TE than Pettigrew. :twisted:

THOUGHT THE SAME THING

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

February 23rd, 2012, 3:03 pm
kdsberman wrote:
m2karateman wrote:
slybri19 wrote:

THOUGHT THE SAME THING

Finley had three more TDs than Pett (what a TE is SUPPOSED TO DO, pick up tough, hard yards, and not drop the damn ball when it matters), he was hurt for most of 2010, and he was hampered by injury this year.

IMO the Packers over-paid for his services, but I would take Finley over Pett any day of the week.

Further, there is every reason to believe that Finley will get back to his old sure-handed ways:

Top 10 TEs in terms of drop percentage
Quote:
1 Joel Dreessen 3.95%
2 Greg Olsen CHI 4.19%
3 Jason Witten 4.39%
4 Owen Daniels 4.52%
5 Heath Miller PIT 5.10%
6 Tony Gonzalez 5.32%
7 Kellen Winslow 6.15%
8 Jermichael Finley 6.38%
9 Chris Cooley 6.44%
10 Jeremy Shockey 6.92%

But Pett has ALWAYS had this problem since coming into the NFL:
Bottom 10 TEs in terms of drop percentage:
Quote:
25 Kevin Boss 11.72%
26 Donald Lee GB 12.12%
27 Ben Watson CLV 12.41%
28 Vernon Davis 13.16%
29 Randy McMichael 13.33%
30 Martellus Bennett DAL 13.41%
31 Marcedes Lewis JAX 13.82%
32 Daniel Graham DEN 14.29%
33 Brandon Pettigrew 15.00%
34 Fred Davis 15.29%

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2 ... ight-ends/

Take that nonsense somewhere else.

February 23rd, 2012, 4:22 pm
RIP Killer

Couple things, wjb:

You are showing 2010 stats. The NFL, in case you haven't noticed, is a what-have-you-done-for-me-lately business. 2010 might as well be 1910.

Finley's knee injury is an excuse for his drops? OK...... :?

And lastly....yes, Finley had more TDs than Pett in 2011. That's it.

As to what a TE is for, that is ENTIRELY dependent on the OC. Any player who is a TE for Mike Martz is going to suffer statistically. His idea of how to use a tight end is far different than that of many other OCs. The question is, how much is Pettigrew targeted in the Red Zone compared to how much Finley is? Since the Lions have Calvin Johnson, I'd say he's their priority target instead of Pettigrew. However, for Green Bay I think Finley is their go-to guy. Not because Finley is more reliable, but because of his size advantage.

But...whatever. You can keep slapping down the Pettigrew pick and his role in this offense. All I know is that the Lions seem pretty damn happy with him, and that's all that matters right now.

February 23rd, 2012, 5:04 pm
m2karateman wrote:
Couple things, wjb:

You are showing 2010 stats. The NFL, in case you haven't noticed, is a what-have-you-done-for-me-lately business. 2010 might as well be 1910.

Finley's knee injury is an excuse for his drops? OK...... :?

And lastly....yes, Finley had more TDs than Pett in 2011. That's it.

As to what a TE is for, that is ENTIRELY dependent on the OC. Any player who is a TE for Mike Martz is going to suffer statistically. His idea of how to use a tight end is far different than that of many other OCs. The question is, how much is Pettigrew targeted in the Red Zone compared to how much Finley is? Since the Lions have Calvin Johnson, I'd say he's their priority target instead of Pettigrew. However, for Green Bay I think Finley is their go-to guy. Not because Finley is more reliable, but because of his size advantage.

But...whatever. You can keep slapping down the Pettigrew pick and his role in this offense. All I know is that the Lions seem pretty damn happy with him, and that's all that matters right now.

Finley had a hurt ankle last year that hampered him for multiple weeks, even though he played through it, and yes, I do think that effected his drops.

IMO we would "go-to" Pett more IF he was more effective. The fact of the matter is, HE'S NOT. He drops a good portion of those balls, doesn't seem to catch the ball well in traffic, and drops it when he's hit while trying to make the catch. I do think Stafford's inexperience is part of the reason that we don't go to Pett more in the redzone (you have to be a LOT more careful throwing to a TE over the middle than a WR running a slant or fade), but I think the majority of it has to do with Pett himself, his ability to get separation, and his ability to reel in the catch.

You tend to think things are more "scheme" related, I have the mind-set that these guys are NFL professionals that want to succeed, and they'll make minor adjustments IF they're working. I tend to think that if they're not going to someone in the red zone it's not because the coordinator doesn't want to be successful, it's because they don't think the team or the player is capable.

And I'll add... In the almost 30 additional receptions that Pett had over Finley, guess how many extra YARDS he got. 10... 10 whole whopping phucking yards out of 30 catches... Yea... You're boy is a superstar!!!

I'd take Finley's stats last year over Petts any day. Finley averaged 5 more yards per catch, and had three more TDs.

February 23rd, 2012, 5:25 pm
RIP Killer

wjb, i thought you actually watched the games.

Anyway, it was painfully obvious to even the most retarded fan, that the balls to Pett were short in general. He didn't catch a lot of 20+ yard passes, because that's not how the plays were drawn up for him. Not the same for Finley, who HAD to be a bigger part of the deep passing game, whereas Pett didn't here.

February 24th, 2012, 9:16 am
Veteran General Manager

What this signing does is that Green Gay can now throw the franchise tag on Flynn and trade him instead of watching him walk away in FA.

February 24th, 2012, 9:26 am
conversion02 wrote:
wjb, i thought you actually watched the games.

Anyway, it was painfully obvious to even the most retarded fan, that the balls to Pett were short in general. He didn't catch a lot of 20+ yard passes, because that's not how the plays were drawn up for him. Not the same for Finley, who HAD to be a bigger part of the deep passing game, whereas Pett didn't here.

Why is that? On a team that is STRUGGLING for someone to take pressure off of CJ, why do we NEVER send Pett deep? IMO, it's because HE CAN'T! You can claim that "it's not how the plays are drawn up for him," but do we not draw up those plays because we're idiots and short-sighted, or because he's not effective in that manner? IMO, it's the latter. We're DYING for someone to come in and take pressure off of CJ. If Pett was capable, we'd be asking him to do it. He either doesn't have the athleticism, or doesn't have the hands - you pick.

February 24th, 2012, 3:47 pm
BillySims wrote:
What this signing does is that Green Gay can now throw the franchise tag on Flynn and trade him instead of watching him walk away in FA.

Hell no... There's no way that GB can FT Flynn. He would get top 10 Qb money as a backup Qb. Everyone in the NFL would be laughing at them. They would know that they "need" to drop the tag before the season, so why give up much? It would give GB a little bargaining time to trade Flynn, but I really can't see them using this measure.

February 24th, 2012, 3:48 pm
Veteran General Manager

wjb21ndtown wrote:
BillySims wrote:

Hell no... There's no way that GB can FT Flynn. He would get top 10 Qb money as a backup Qb. Everyone in the NFL would be laughing at them. They would know that they "need" to drop the tag before the season, so why give up much? It would give GB a little bargaining time to trade Flynn, but I really can't see them using this measure.

They said NE wouldn't franchise Cassell also.

February 25th, 2012, 12:03 am
RIP Killer

wjb21ndtown wrote:
BillySims wrote:

Sorry wjb, but that's exactly what the signing does. GB will tag Flynn and trade him. He will go to a team that wants him as a starter, and as such that team will pay him starter money. Ted Thompson has already been at the Combines talking about how Flynn is a starter in waiting, singing his praises. You think he's not doing that for a reason?

February 25th, 2012, 2:12 pm
RIP Killer

wjb21ndtown wrote:
Finley had a hurt ankle last year that hampered him for multiple weeks, even though he played through it, and yes, I do think that effected his drops.

Of course. I can see where a bad ankle causes your hands to malfunction. :roll:

If it was Pettigrew with the bad ankle and someone tried that excuse, you'd go ballistic.

wjb21ndtown wrote:
IMO we would "go-to" Pett more IF he was more effective. The fact of the matter is, HE'S NOT. He drops a good portion of those balls, doesn't seem to catch the ball well in traffic, and drops it when he's hit while trying to make the catch. I do think Stafford's inexperience is part of the reason that we don't go to Pett more in the redzone (you have to be a LOT more careful throwing to a TE over the middle than a WR running a slant or fade), but I think the majority of it has to do with Pett himself, his ability to get separation, and his ability to reel in the catch.

I don't disagree that Pettigrew had dropped passes in the end zone. Name a Lions player that hasn't. But the fact is, the jump ball to Calvin is used because it's effective. Pettigrew, in case you haven't noticed, is quite often either off the field (4 or 5 receiver spread set) or when on the field is used to block in those situations rather than send him out.

wjb21ndtown wrote:
You tend to think things are more "scheme" related, I have the mind-set that these guys are NFL professionals that want to succeed, and they'll make minor adjustments IF they're working. I tend to think that if they're not going to someone in the red zone it's not because the coordinator doesn't want to be successful, it's because they don't think the team or the player is capable.

So the scheme has nothing to do with the routes the players run, or how they are used? As a professional who wants to succeed, his job is to do what's asked of him, not freelance and run whatever route he feels like running.

wjb21ndtown wrote:
And I'll add... In the almost 30 additional receptions that Pett had over Finley, guess how many extra YARDS he got. 10... 10 whole whopping phucking yards out of 30 catches... Yea... You're boy is a superstar!!!

Well, when you are running only 5 and 6 yard routes because that's what's asked of you, chances are you won't get the same amount of yards that a TE running deeper routes will get. And those 30 additional receptions help keep drives alive, don't they?

wjb21ndtown wrote:
I'd take Finley's stats last year over Petts any day. Finley averaged 5 more yards per catch, and had three more TDs.

That's fine. You can take his $7.5M contract and 14 drops out of 55 catches as well (and because of a bad ankle, no less). You forget, I'm not the one who said Finley was not productive or a good pick. Your claim is that Pettigrew was a wasted pick, and that we should have taken someone else. My response was simply that Pettigrew has been a productive player since he was chosen, and we could have done a lot worse. You won't acknowledge that Pettigrew has been one of the most productive TEs in the league the past two seasons.

Keep ignoring the evidence.

February 25th, 2012, 2:25 pm
m2karateman wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:

Of course. I can see where a bad ankle causes your hands to malfunction. :roll:

If it was Pettigrew with the bad ankle and someone tried that excuse, you'd go ballistic.

wjb21ndtown wrote:

I don't disagree that Pettigrew had dropped passes in the end zone. Name a Lions player that hasn't. But the fact is, the jump ball to Calvin is used because it's effective. Pettigrew, in case you haven't noticed, is quite often either off the field (4 or 5 receiver spread set) or when on the field is used to block in those situations rather than send him out.

wjb21ndtown wrote:

So the scheme has nothing to do with the routes the players run, or how they are used? As a professional who wants to succeed, his job is to do what's asked of him, not freelance and run whatever route he feels like running.

wjb21ndtown wrote:

Well, when you are running only 5 and 6 yard routes because that's what's asked of you, chances are you won't get the same amount of yards that a TE running deeper routes will get. And those 30 additional receptions help keep drives alive, don't they?

wjb21ndtown wrote:

That's fine. You can take his $7.5M contract and 14 drops out of 55 catches as well (and because of a bad ankle, no less). You forget, I'm not the one who said Finley was not productive or a good pick. Your claim is that Pettigrew was a wasted pick, and that we should have taken someone else. My response was simply that Pettigrew has been a productive player since he was chosen, and we could have done a lot worse. You won't acknowledge that Pettigrew has been one of the most productive TEs in the league the past two seasons.

Keep ignoring the evidence.

Didn't I just say that the Packers just over-paid for Finely? I never said that Pett was a "wasted pick" I say that he was picked too high, and we haven't seen the production out of a first round TE that you would expect. You can cite his receptions as a significant contribution, but like I said, he drops too many balls, he can't block as well as we were led to believe, and his yardage sucks.

The Pack have a "jump ball to Finely," why don't we keep Pett in on goal line situations or red zone situations? BECAUSE HE'S NOT EFFECTIVE!!!

February 28th, 2012, 11:30 am
Reply to topic   [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next