View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently July 28th, 2014, 10:36 pm

Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Draft Predictions. 
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Post Re: Draft Predictions.
Right on Billy. But I seriously get most of my info about other teams from you guys. I had no idea the Raiders only had 2 picks. I'm with you on the CB thing but assuming you don't want one(You seem to like Burfict) in rd 1, who do you have in mind later?

February 22nd, 2012, 10:01 pm
Veteran General Manager

Killwill25 wrote:
Right on Billy. But I seriously get most of my info about other teams from you guys. I had no idea the Raiders only had 2 picks. I'm with you on the CB thing but assuming you don't want one(You seem to like Burfict) in rd 1, who do you have in mind later?

I am seriously thinking about switching over to getting a LT in the 1st round. I'm hoping the Stanford kid is still on the board. I have a strong feeling the Bears are going after Mario Williams to bookend him with Julius Peppers. That would destroy our O-line.

I do like Burfict. But, we can get a good LB later. And, if we can bolster the DB's, we can get by with weaker LBers. Because they won't have to help the DB's as much, they can spend more time playing the run and shutting down the TE's.

February 22nd, 2012, 10:31 pm
Team MVP

kdsberman wrote:
Depending on how FA works out, I predict Washington to be the team to trade up for RGIII, not Cleveland. And I also predict my mock draft to be more accurate than Mel Kipers once again. :D

Let me add...Im predicting the Lions will move up in the first round. They wanted to last year, what makes you think they wouldnt do it again?

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

February 23rd, 2012, 1:23 pm
RIP Killer

kdsberman wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
I think there will be at least one safety (Barron) taken before the 45th pick, and maybe three depending on where NFL teams want to play players like Lavonte David and Dre Kirkpatrick. On every prospect ranking I've seen Barron is at least in the top 30, and there are plenty of teams that need safety help. I'm not fond of his coverage skills, so I'd prefer we pass on him, but that's just me. He'll I'd even take him at 34-36 (about where we took Delmas, who, IMO isn't as good).

That said, I think we're going to draft Mike Adams if he's available. I really don't see us getting Gaither, and I see us doing something dumb like letting Backus go and starting Adams his first year. I find this move dumb because it's going to make the team WORSE in the short-term, and IMO that's exactly what we don't need. We need to polish the team we have as much as possible, make our run, and revamp our attempt (not rebuild, just revamp) if it doesn't work out. We need to make a strong push with this squad to actually go all-in and try to win a SB, and NOT "plan for the future" right now. It's maddening, because Kontz allows us to do both (plan for the future AND get better), but I can't seem to convince people of that.

I'm not a huge Adams fan. I think he can be good, but I think he's going to make rookie mistakes and get abused by Peppers and others. I think he's going to open the door to getting Stafford killed. I was hoping for a LT prospect to groom last year, and I don't think Corey Hilliard or Culbreath are going to be able to step in and play effectively. I'm pissed off about the mismanagement of our offensive line, but apparently its just me. Everyone else thinks its "peachy" and we should draft a CB or DE.IMO we should re-sign Backus, as much as I hate to say it. If we can get Gaither, that's great, but I don't like our chances - cap problems and other suitors will preclude our involvement, IMO. Fix the interior of the OL, and draft a LT in the 3rd-5th round to groom for next year.

Im curious as to who on this board has ever stated they want CB or DE?

I think he was referring to everyone, as in the front office and coaching staff, and some of the fans. Not necessarily the people posting on this forum.

As for Gaither, I doubt he hits the open market. San Diego seems ready to let Marcus McNeill go and have Gaither be their LT now. With McNeill having his medical issues, it seems that's the likely course of action out there.

February 23rd, 2012, 1:53 pm
RIP Killer

kdsberman wrote:
kdsberman wrote:
Depending on how FA works out, I predict Washington to be the team to trade up for RGIII, not Cleveland. And I also predict my mock draft to be more accurate than Mel Kipers once again. :D

Let me add...Im predicting the Lions will move up in the first round. They wanted to last year, what makes you think they wouldnt do it again?

They wanted to last year because they had a particular player in mind to draft. And they didn't move up. Ask yourself why.

You first need a willing trade partner, and then they have to accept the conditions of the trade. Some teams simply won't trade, period. Unfortunately for the Lions last year, the very same player they wanted is the player Arizona wanted. As such, the Cards were asking for way too much in return.

All that said, what player do you feel the Lions should try and move up to get, and at what spot if he is still available?

February 23rd, 2012, 1:59 pm
Team MVP

m2karateman wrote:
kdsberman wrote:
kdsberman wrote:

They wanted to last year because they had a particular player in mind to draft. And they didn't move up. Ask yourself why.

You first need a willing trade partner, and then they have to accept the conditions of the trade. Some teams simply won't trade, period. Unfortunately for the Lions last year, the very same player they wanted is the player Arizona wanted. As such, the Cards were asking for way too much in return.

All that said, what player do you feel the Lions should try and move up to get, and at what spot if he is still available?

I agree thats why they wanted to move up.

As far as my prediction, id say its about 95% gut feeling. Last year I had no idea they wanted Peterson that bad, i dont think anyone did.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

February 23rd, 2012, 3:08 pm
m2karateman wrote:
kdsberman wrote:
kdsberman wrote:

The only player that I can see them moving up for is Matt Kalil if we don't bring Backus back, or Morris Claiborn, and I think both would be a mistake.

Why would we want to add MORE high-priced talent on this team that we can't afford? And sacrifice reasonable, cost effective talent elsewhere (by giving up later draft picks). That just doesn't make sense to me.

You could make a case for Decastro, but IMO he's not light-years ahead of Kontz, and he doesn't have the same utility on the OL to come in and replace Raiola. It doesn't make sense for us to give up picks to go up and get DeCastro when Kontz is likely going to be there.

February 23rd, 2012, 4:38 pm
RIP Killer

wjb21ndtown wrote:
m2karateman wrote:
kdsberman wrote:
kdsberman wrote:

The only player that I can see them moving up for is Matt Kalil if we don't bring Backus back, or Morris Claiborn, and I think both would be a mistake.

Why would we want to add MORE high-priced talent on this team that we can't afford? And sacrifice reasonable, cost effective talent elsewhere (by giving up later draft picks). That just doesn't make sense to me.

You could make a case for Decastro, but IMO he's not light-years ahead of Kontz, and he doesn't have the same utility on the OL to come in and replace Raiola. It doesn't make sense for us to give up picks to go up and get DeCastro when Kontz is likely going to be there.

You seem very confident that Kontz WILL be there at #23. Me? Not so much. I can see him being taken as early as #15 to Philly. I don't think they will, but I wouldn't be shocked if they did take him. However, I more likely see either San Diego or Tennessee as strong possibilities for teams likely to select him. San Diego may or may not want Hardwick back. They also have concerns at OG. Same thing with Tennessee. Their OTs are OK, but their interior line is sub-standard and they can use a good pivot man to boost their running game with Chris Johnson. Even the Bengals may want Kontz ahead of the Lions, since their interior line isn't that tremendous. AND, with the Colts likely to watch Jeff Saturday leave, is it possible they try to move ahead of Detroit to land Kontz?

After watching the last few drafts, and seeing the top player at the position being taken between 15 and 21, I think it's a VERY good possibility that the Lions will miss out if they stand pat.

Worse yet.....somehow I feel if Kontz IS on the board, the Lions aren't going to select him. It pains me to say, but I think this to be true.

February 23rd, 2012, 4:49 pm
m2karateman wrote:
Worse yet.....somehow I feel if Kontz IS on the board, the Lions aren't going to select him. It pains me to say, but I think this to be true.

That's my biggest worry. I really feel that Mike Adams is on top of the board at OL, and I hate it. As I've outlined in other threads, I think it makes us worse and not better for the upcoming season, and that is NOT what this team needs.

I am pretty confident that Kontz will be there. Looking at where Alex Mack and Nickmangold were selected, coupled by the talent above us, I think we're safe if we stand pat. There are enough offensive skill players and defensive skill players that are traditionally paid more and "valued" more above us that I think Kontz will fall.

In no detailed order, but somewhat organized I think these guys will all be gone when we pick:
Quote:
Andrew Luck
Robert Griffin III
Matt Kalil
Morris Claiborne
Justin Blackmon
Trent Richardson
Riley Reiff
Michael Brockers
David DeCastro
Devon Still DT
Janoris Jenkins
Michael Floyd
Jonathan Martin
Melvin Ingram
Courtney Upshaw
Dre Kirkpatrick
Luke Kuechly
Quinton Coples

IMO those are 18 guarantees to be gone before we pick. Kendall Wright, Fletcher Cox, Ryan Tannehill are also all strong possibilities. Alfonzo Dennard, Nick Perry, Dont'a Hightower, Mark Barron, and Whitney Mercilus are other good possiblities as well.

Remember, CBs and DEs are at a particularly high premium right now. Players like Dennard and Whitney Mercilus that have gotten some hype are not long shots in the 15-22 range.

February 23rd, 2012, 5:16 pm
Team MVP

I really like/want Konz, but I too believe he will be gone. I have him being selected by Tennessee in my 1.0 Mock(which means nothing, I know). Mike Munchak has already stated that its the O-lines fault for Chris Johnsons lack of production and needs to be addressed.

February 23rd, 2012, 5:39 pm
RIP Killer

kdsberman wrote:
I really like/want Konz, but I too believe he will be gone. I have him being selected by Tennessee in my 1.0 Mock(which means nothing, I know). Mike Munchak has already stated that its the O-lines fault for Chris Johnsons lack of production and needs to be addressed.

And not to piss in anyones Cheerios, but another possibility is that a team like Baltimore or Green Bay moves ahead of Detroit to land Kontz, since both of them are facing the possibility of losing their starting center this off-season. Denver is a long shot, but they too are facing the same dilemma as the Ravens and Packers.

And there's the outside shot of Dallas moving back, but staying ahead of Detroit and using their pick on Kontz, since they have an issue at center themselves.

More teams than you think are in the market for a starting center. Free agency will definitely clear up some of this. But there's still the possibility he's off the board.

And I still think even if he's on the board, the Lions pass on him and deeply regret it in the future.

February 24th, 2012, 1:52 pm
Color Commentator - John Madden

Mike Adams did 19 reps on the bench today. I don't want to get too caught up in combine numbers, but this is a little disconcerting. I understand he's got technique, but getting a push in the run game might not be his strength, and if he's to replace Backus, who was never an outstanding run blocker, then it would be more of the same.

February 24th, 2012, 3:41 pm
RIP Killer

Wayne Fontes wrote:
Mike Adams did 19 reps on the bench today. I don't want to get too caught up in combine numbers, but this is a little disconcerting. I understand he's got technique, but getting a push in the run game might not be his strength, and if he's to replace Backus, who was never an outstanding run blocker, then it would be more of the same.

That doesn't matter. Teams won't really take him off their board, or adjust their boards based on that. Guys with long arms, like Adams, won't do as many reps as some other guys. Teams are more interested in the players having the long arms in the first place. You can get stronger, but you can't make your arms grow longer. With proper hand quickness and technique, that upper body strength doesn't mean much.

February 24th, 2012, 3:54 pm
Wayne Fontes wrote:

I agree... He may be faster and have better feet, and he may have more "fire" (IMO one of Backus' problems is that he was always a timid pussy), but he's not going to be as good as Backus this year (meaning, the TEAM is going to get WORSE with this draft pick) and his ceiling is about the same as what we had. It would be more or less like shaving 5 years off of JB - NO THANKS.

M2 - I understand teams dire needs at OC, but most of those teams have other more pressing needs, and IMO Kontz is a reach at pick 15-20, when top tier players at CB, LB, WR and DE are still on the board. Maybe someone swoops in at 21 or so and grabs him, but if they do someone will have fallen to us.

February 24th, 2012, 3:56 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Most guys with longer arms usually put up lower numbers in the bench press, to me it's the most useless number that comes from the combine.

February 24th, 2012, 9:50 pm
Reply to topic   [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next