View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently August 22nd, 2014, 3:59 am

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 US Burns Korans; Muslims Go Nuts! 
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

Post US Burns Korans; Muslims Go Nuts!
This certainly isn't the first time and won't be the last:
AP wrote:
Feb 23, 4:00 PM EST
Obama apologizes as Afghan Quran protests rage

By DEB RIECHMANN and AMIR SHAH
Associated Press

KABUL, Afghanistan (AP) -- President Barack Obama apologized to Afghans on Thursday for the burning of Qurans at a U.S. military base, trying to assuage rising anti-American sentiment as an Afghan soldier gunned down two American troops during another day of angry protests.

The U.S.-led military coalition says the Muslim holy books were sent by mistake to a garbage burn pit at Bagram Air Field and the case is under investigation. The explanation and multiple apologies from U.S. officials have yet to calm outrage over the incident, which has also heightened tension between international troops and their Afghan partners.

Thousands of protesters, some shouting "Long live Islam!" and "Death to America!" staged demonstrations across Afghanistan for a third day. Protesters climbed the walls of a U.S. base in the east, threw stones inside and adorned an outside wall with the Taliban's trademark white flag.

At other sites, demonstrators burned tires or American flags. Afghan police and international troops fired guns in the air to disperse the crowds.

The protests sparked clashes with Afghan security forces that left at least five demonstrators dead. A Norwegian soldier was wounded by a hand grenade hurled into a coalition compound.

On Wednesday, six people died in protests in Kabul and three other provinces.

The civil unrest comes at a time when Afghan President Hamid Karzai is trying to negotiate a long-term partnership agreement with the United States to govern the activities of U.S. forces in Afghanistan after 2014, when most foreign combat troops will have left or taken on support roles.

Karzai called for calm until an investigation is completed, but the incident highlighted the fitful and often strained relationship of the two nations.

White House press secretary Jay Carney told reporters aboard Air Force One that Obama's apology to Karzai was "appropriate given the sensitivity" of the issue. He said the apology was part of a three-page letter to the Afghan leader. Presidential apologies are rare, but he noted that former White House press secretary Dana Perino apologized on behalf of President George W. Bush in 2008 after a U.S. serviceman shot a Quran.

Tommy Vietor, a spokesman for the National Security Council at the White House, said Obama's letter, which addressed issues being negotiated in the partnership document, was delivered by Ryan Crocker, the U.S. ambassador to Afghanistan. In the letter, Obama expressed "regret and apologies over the incident in which religious materials were unintentionally mishandled." Vietor said

Karzai met Thursday with parliamentarians - many of whom had been particularly vitriolic Wednesday in calling for Afghans to wage a holy war against international forces. The Afghan president told the lawmakers they were right to raise their voices against the desecration of Islam's holy book, but said a government investigation was the appropriate way to handle the case, according to a statement issued by his office.

The statement said Karzai told the lawmakers that a U.S. officer responsible for the burning "didn't understand" what he was doing and that the United States had "accepted the mistake of its officer."

The coalition said the investigation is still under way.

The unrest started Tuesday when Afghan workers at the sprawling American base north of Kabul noticed that Qurans and other Islamic texts were in the trash that coalition troops dumped into a pit where garbage is burned. Some Afghan workers burned their fingers as they tried to salvage some of the books. Afghan government officials said initial reports indicated four Qurans were burned.

The materials had been taken from a library at Parwan Detention Facility, which adjoins the base, because they contained extremist messages or inscriptions. Writing inside a Quran is forbidden in the Islamic faith, and it is unclear whether the handwritten messages were found in the holy book or other reading materials.

A military official said it appeared that detainees at the prison were exchanging messages by making notations in the texts.

A delegation of Afghan religious leaders, lawmakers and government representatives visited Bagram as part of the investigation. They issued a statement late Thursday calling for an end to protests and accused insurgents of infiltrating the gatherings to foment violence. They said they expected those responsible for the Quran burning to be prosecuted through the U.S. military court system.

The Taliban used the opportunity to incite more attacks on foreign forces. In a statement, Taliban spokesman Zabiullah Mujahid described the burning as an "unforgivable crime." He urged Afghan army and police to become "real sons of the nation" by turning their guns on coalition forces.

Afghan authorities said demonstrations were staged inside the capital and in seven of Afghanistan's 34 provinces.

The deadliest was held outside an American base in the Khogyani district of Nangarhar province in eastern Afghanistan. Two protesters were killed by Afghan police and an Afghan soldier turned his gun on American troops, killing two.

It was the latest in a rising spate of incidents where Afghan soldiers or police or militants wearing their uniforms, have shot and killed U.S. and NATO service members.

District chief Mohammad Hassan said the two Americans were shot by a member of the Afghan National Army stationed at the base. Pentagon press secretary George Little later confirmed the two U.S. troops had died.

In northern Afghanistan, more than 10,000 people demonstrated at four locations in Baghlan, the capital of Baghlan province. Sayed Zamanuddin, deputy provincial police chief, said protesters tried to burn down a police office and then fired at police. He said the police returned fire. One person was killed.

In the south, two people were killed in Dihrawud district of Uruzgan province, said Fareed Ayal, a spokesman for the provincial police. He said insurgents infiltrated the demonstration and shooting broke out between the police and those in the crowd of about 2,000.

Also in the north, protesters hurled rocks and tried to remove the razor wire from the perimeter of a U.S. base in Mehterlam, the capital of Laghman province.

"The burning of Quran broke our hearts," protester Mohammad Issa said.

Police broke up the demonstration by using water cannon, batons and by firing above the heads of the demonstrators.

Hundreds of other Afghans protested peacefully on the eastern outskirts of Kabul, outside Bagram Air Field, in Jalalabad in the east, in Faryab province in the west and in Khoshi district of Logar province, where demonstrators burned a U.S. flag.

"Apologies are not enough," declared Mohammad Qasim Sediqi, leader of the Khoshi district council. The culprits "have to be put on trial and culprits should face the law."

link

First of all, I want to know why Karzai hasn't apologized for an Afghan soldier killing two of our troops yet? Sarah and Newt have already spoken out about this and if Obama had any spine, he should demand an apology as well. What's more important? A book or soldiers' lives?

Does anyone else remember over a year ago when the US military burned hundreds of bibles in Afghanistan because they could be used to convert Muslims to Christianity? Isn't this a double standard? Also, does anyone else remember thousands of Christians protesting that act by rioting, killing, and burning down buildings? Yea, me neither. Some Religion of Peace. :roll:

February 23rd, 2012, 9:37 pm
RIP Killer

Post Re: US Burns Korans; Muslims Go Nuts!
First, name a "Religion of Peace" and I can give you example after example of horrible things done in the name of their God. Second, if you are really concerned about our troops then you realize why Obama has to apoligize for this stupid act - to save potential lives.

February 24th, 2012, 1:14 pm
Profile WWW
Pablo wrote:
First, name a "Religion of Peace" and I can give you example after example of horrible things done in the name of their God. Second, if you are really concerned about our troops then you realize why Obama has to apoligize for this stupid act - to save potential lives.

Can you name "horrible things that have been done in the name of their God in the last 100 years"? With Muslims, you can name horrible things that happened in the name of their God YESTERDAY.

I realize that most, if not all religions have had a dark past. Perhaps the recent peace in Christianity comes from its relative power and success. If they were the weak ones losing ground (as Muslim's appear to be), perhaps they would be just as violent, but I really don't think so.

February 24th, 2012, 3:35 pm
Modmin Dude

wjb21ndtown wrote:
Can you name "horrible things that have been done in the name of their God in the last 100 years"?
According to some posters, US law was based on Christian law, therefore I would say the following could fit into this description:

Slavery
Civil rights
Women's rights
Gay rights

Just for starters....

February 24th, 2012, 3:41 pm
TheRealWags wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
Can you name "horrible things that have been done in the name of their God in the last 100 years"?
According to some posters, US law was based on Christian law, therefore I would say the following could fit into this description:

Slavery
Civil rights
Women's rights
Gay rights

Just for starters....

Slavery was more than 150 years ago, sorry.

To the last few, if you want to compare denying gay marriage to killing people, go for it, it is a typical Liberal response. One that Sly would call Libretarded...

February 24th, 2012, 3:43 pm
Player of the Year - Defense

wjb21ndtown wrote:
Pablo wrote:

Can you name "horrible things that have been done in the name of their God in the last 100 years"? With Muslims, you can name horrible things that happened in the name of their God YESTERDAY.

I realize that most, if not all religions have had a dark past. Perhaps the recent peace in Christianity comes from its relative power and success. If they were the weak ones losing ground (as Muslim's appear to be), perhaps they would be just as violent, but I really don't think so.

To the bolded... They aren't losing power or ground. They're growing in population every day. They're already 25% of the world's population. That's not losing ground. They're not killing christians in a growing fashion because they're losing ground, its because they're growing stronger.

Power is based on a bunch of factors, but the population issue is one that will one get worse. And double that with the fact that we have been stunting our population growth while they encourage to populate as often as possible, and then we won't be able to prevent them from taking over every political office and force Islam on everyone country by country. Just look at how they're starting to do it in Europe. They're going to execute a preacher because his father was muslim, so even though he never practiced, him being a christian was viewed as abandoning Islam and requires death by their law. Who else do they view as a Muslim because their father was a muslim? Hint -- Now you know why he won't take action against our enemies and allows them to freely overthrow our friends. Its their agenda he's pushing.

As to Civil rights, women's rights, and gay rights being the violence of christianity, you obviously don't pay attention to history unless it suits your views. Civil rights was heavily backed by the church. It was the democrats that continually blocked it. Women's rights wasn't a church issue either. And gay rights were dealt with in the 80's with the anti-discrimination laws. The church might not agree with homosexuality, but they haven't been prevented from doing anything except changing the laws of the definition of marriage which would then force churches to perform the same ceremonies they disagree with. That's not a gay rights issue, that's a religious freedom issue. Civil unions already carry the same rights except on a federal level, so you can say that government is preventing the full rights of gays, not the church, since the church has backed giving all the same rights under civil unions.

Back to the story topic... The same Qu'rans were written in and used to pass fundamental messages between prisoners and were already destroyed according to their beliefs. They couldn't be redistributed, so it was a lose-lose scenario. If they gave them back they'd cause a riot for giving them defamed Qu'rans and if they burned them they'd riot for destroying the Qu'ran. Apologizing for that is idiotic.

February 24th, 2012, 4:01 pm
Modmin Dude

wjb21ndtown wrote:
My mistake.
wjb21ndtown wrote:
To the last few, if you want to compare denying gay marriage to killing people, go for it, it is a typical Liberal response. One that Sly would call Libretarded...
You asked for "horrible things" and I gave them to you; unless you're saying that Civil & Women's Rights issues weren't horrible things.... Are they equivalent to murder? No and I don't think I said that anywhere, if I did perhaps you could show me where I did.
Quote:
it is a typical Liberal response. One that Sly would call Libretarded...
And these are typical robot, non-thinker responses that, as I've said before, make you look not only childish, but foolish. Not too mention they accomplish absolutely nothing.

February 24th, 2012, 5:16 pm
TheRealWags wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
My mistake.
wjb21ndtown wrote:
You asked for "horrible things" and I gave them to you; unless you're saying that Civil & Women's Rights issues weren't horrible things.

I'm saying that the Church didn't get in the way of any of that, aside from the gay marriage issue.

February 24th, 2012, 5:22 pm
Modmin Dude

wjb21ndtown wrote:
TheRealWags wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
My mistake.
wjb21ndtown wrote:
You asked for "horrible things" and I gave them to you; unless you're saying that Civil & Women's Rights issues weren't horrible things.

I'm saying that the Church didn't get in the way of any of that, aside from the gay marriage issue.

Quote:

What part of that do you not understand??? ](*,)

February 24th, 2012, 5:26 pm
TheRealWags wrote:
Quote:

That is quite possibly the most ridiculous statement ever made on this board. I guess the Church also condones the death penalty and abortion too then right? Make some damn sense, and stop posting ridiculous bullsh!t Liberal fallacious arguments and spurious conclusions.

Last edited by wjb21ndtown on February 24th, 2012, 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

February 24th, 2012, 5:29 pm

Doesn't look like the apology has gone over very well:
CNS News wrote:
Taliban's Response to Obama's Apology: 'Kill Them, Beat Them, Take Them as Prisoners'
By Patrick Goodenough
February 24, 2012

(CNSNews.com) – In the wake of President Barack Obama sending a three-page letter to Afghan President Hamid Kharzai, apologizing for U.S. forces having mistakenly burned some Qur'ans at a U.S. air base in Afghanistan, the Taliban is calling on Muslims to kill Americans or beat them and take them as prisoners.

The call for violence against U.S. troops in Afghanistan came as Muslims in South Asia and elsewhere prepared for Friday prayers--a potentially volatile time.

Islamist groups in Pakistan, meanwhile, drummed up protests against the burning of the Qur’ans, with some leaders appealing for jihad against the United States.

Echoing incendiary calls by the Taliban for Muslims to react violently to the mishandling of the religious texts, militant leaders charged that the incident was a deliberate plot against Muslims.

Two U.S. troops and at least seven Afghans have been killed in three days of rioting in Afghanistan.

“We should not be satisfied with mere protests and empty slogans but the military bases of the invaders, their military convoys and their troops should become a target of our courageous attacks,” spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid said in a statement directed to Taliban fighters and the “zealous and faithful people of Afghanistan.”

“Kill them, beat them, take them as prisoners and teach them such a lesson that they never summon the courage to abuse the Holy Qur’an again,” he said.

Mujahid said the Taliban called on the world’s Muslims to condemn the incident, "both practically and verbally and back the legitimate struggle of the Muslim Afghans” against the “American aggressors.”

At least one demonstration was planned in Kabul on Friday, and the U.S. Embassy warned American citizens there may be more, possibly violent protests after the end of Friday prayers.

While President Hamid Karzai and Afghan government officials called for calm and encouraged provincial and religious leaders to do likewise, there was no comparable appeal from the Organization of Islamic Cooperation (OIC), a bloc of the world’s Muslim nations.

OIC Secretary-General Ekmeleddin Ihsanoglu issued a statement condemning the Qur’an incident but saying nothing about the deadly reaction or the various groups’ calls for violence.

The OIC said Ihsanoglu described the incident at the Bagram military base as “a deplorable act of incitement and called on the concerned authorities to take swift and appropriate disciplinary action against those responsible.”

“The OIC secretary-general said that the act was contrary to the the common efforts of the OIC and that of the international community including the United States government, to combat intolerance, and incitement to hatred based on religion and belief,” the statement said.

It said Ihsanoglu welcomed the apologies from Defense Secretary Leon Panetta and International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) commander Gen. John Allen and their assurances that the incident would be investigated and not be allowed to happen again.

The independent Daily Outlook Afghanistan reports that the Afghanistan Ulema Council, a body of top religious scholars, declared in a statement that apologies were not sufficient, and that “those behind the tragic incident must be punished and sent to jail.”

One militant cleric had a more dire fate in mind for those responsible. “Several times the foreign troops have desecrated the sacred book and then got away with mere apologies,” Maulvi Nasrullah told the Pajhwok Afghan News service, demanding that the culprits be sentenced to death.

‘Conspiracy’

In the Pakistani city of Quetta, the pro-Taliban Islamist group Jamiat-ul Ulema-e-Islam organized a rally Thursday which police said drew some 500 people.

“The burning of Qur’ans is a conspiracy to hurt the feelings of Muslims,” radical cleric Fazal Muhammad told the protestors. He urged Muslims to wage jihad against the U.S. “so they don’t even dare invading any other Muslim country in future,” the Karachi-based daily Dawn reported.

Other groups taking part in the protest included the Islamist political party Jamaat-e-Islami (JI) and Jamaat ud-Dawa (JuD), an ostensibly charitable group which the State Department calls a “front operation” for the terrorist organization Lashkar-e-Toiba.

In Lahore, members of the JI’s student wing – the largest student group in Pakistan – also protested, with the group’s leader declaring that JI would not permit the Pakistani government to reopen supply lines to the ISAF forces in Afghanistan.

Last spring, Islamist organizations and media in Pakistan played a key role in fueling anger both in that country and neighboring Afghanistan after the pastor of a small Florida church burned a copy of the Qur’an.

For almost two weeks after Terry Jones’ March 20 stunt the incident received little media coverage in the Islamic world – with the exception of Pakistan, where groups like JI and JuD issued fiery denunciations and organized protest rallies.

Protests then spread to Afghanistan, where – after Friday prayers on April 1 – Muslims roused by imams’ unfounded claims that hundreds of Qur’ans had been burned in the U.S. stormed a U.N. compound, in an attack that left seven foreign U.N. workers and four Afghan civilians dead. Another 12 people were killed during two further days of rioting.

In other reaction to this week’s incident at Bagram, the Lebanese Shi’ite militant group Hezbollah said “the action of the foreign troops is a new crime that reveals U.S.-Zionist desecration of Islamic sanctities and ridicules the feelings of more than one billion Muslims.”

http://cnsnews.com/news/article/talibans-response-obamas-apology-kill-them-beat-them-take-them-prisoners
In case any of you didn't know, Joe Biden gave a speech about a month ago where he said the Taliban weren't our enemy. Oh really? From their statements above, I guess they didn't get the memo.

And I'm still waiting for Karzai to apologize for an Afghan soldier killing two US soldiers. I'm not going to be holding my breath though.

February 24th, 2012, 5:30 pm

Kinda off topic, but for those who suggest that Sharia Law doesn't exist in the US:
Human Events wrote:
US Judge rules Muslims have a right to assault people who offend them. Unbelievable. Yes, this happened HERE
by John Hayward 02/24/2012

People who are concerned about the spread of Muslim sharia law into American jurisprudence used to be dismissed as alarmists. That won’t happen again for a while, thanks to a Pennsylvania judge who just dismissed assault charges against a Muslim who was videotaped attacking a man dressed as “Zombie Muhammad” during a Halloween parade.

The judge, who is a Muslim, didn’t even care to see the videotape, because the assault was entirely justified under sharia law, so the First Amendment doesn’t apply. In fact, the beaten Zombie Muhammad should just be thankful he wasn’t killed, because that’s what would have happened in a Muslim country.

The astonishing details, from Opposing Views:

The Pennsylvania State Director of American Atheists, Inc., Mr. Ernest Perce V., was assaulted by a Muslim while participating in a Halloween parade. Along with a Zombie Pope, Ernest was costumed as Zombie Muhammad. The assault was caught on video, the Muslim man admitted to his crime and charges were filed in what should have been an open-and-shut case. That’s not what happened, though.

The defendant is an immigrant and claims he did not know his actions were illegal, or that it was legal in this country to represent Muhammad in any form. To add insult to injury, he also testified that his 9 year old son was present, and the man said he felt he needed to show his young son that he was willing to fight for his Prophet.

Muslim judge Mark Martin ruled in favor of the assailant… and insulted the defendant for good measure.

Martin offered the court a little lesson in Islamic theology, which he believes transcends that silly First Amendment free-speech stuff in the U.S. Constitution:

Having had the benefit of having spent over 2 and a half years in predominantly Muslim countries I think I know a little bit about the faith of Islam. In fact I have a copy of the Koran here and I challenge you sir to show me where it says in the Koran that Mohammad arose and walked among the dead. I think you misinterpreted things. Before you start mocking someone else’s religion you may want to find out a little bit more about it it makes you look like a dufus and Mr. (Defendant) is correct. In many Arabic speaking countries something like this is definitely against the law there. In their society in fact it can be punishable by death and it frequently is in their society.

Islam is not just a religion, it’s their culture, their culture. It’s their very essence their very being. They pray five times a day towards Mecca to be a good Muslim, before you die you have to make a pilgrimage to Mecca unless you are otherwise told you can not because you are too ill too elderly, whatever but you must make the attempt. Their greetings wa-laikum as-Salâm (is answered by voice) may god be with you. Whenever, it’s very common when speaking to each other it’s very common for them to say uh this will happen it’s it they are so immersed in it.

Since Islam is, therefore, at the very center of a Muslim’s being, speech they find objectionable – such as depicting the Prophet in any form, much less as an extra from The Walking Dead – “trashes their essence, their being,” and violence is justified, especially from a recent immigrant accustomed to living in countries properly governed by sharia law.

As Al Stefanelli notes at Opposing Views, the judge didn’t even pretend to understand what the First Amendment means, never mind pondering the laws against physical harassment:

The Judge neglected to address the fact that the ignorance of the law does not justify an assault and that it was the responsibility of the defendant to familiarize himself with our laws. This is to say nothing of the judge counseling the defendant that it is also not acceptable for him to teach his children that it is acceptable to use violence in the defense of religious beliefs. Instead, the judge gives Mr. Perce a lesson in Sharia law and drones on about the Muslim faith, inform everyone in the court room how strongly he embraces Islam, that the first amendment does not allow anyone ”to piss off other people and other cultures” and he was also insulted by Mr. Perce’s portrayal of Mohammed and the sign he carried.

Martin went on to call the plaintiff a “doofus.”

In other news, enraged Catholics reacted to the sight of an atheist parading around as the Zombie Pope by stifling yawns.

http://www.humanevents.com/article.php?id=49740

February 24th, 2012, 5:34 pm
RIP Killer

Horrible things done by the church, sure. Look at the uproar over the incidents at Penn State in the past few months and think just how many times this has happened and been covered up by the church.

As for "YESTERDAY", Priest George Ansel Smith went to court in Philly to face 24 new counts on top of the 38 counts he was already facing.

Also "YESTERDAY", Priest Christopher Wenthe of St. Paul had to face a judge for failing to "cooperate" with his parole officer after being convicted of "criminal sexual conduct".

There are plenty more from just yesterday (2/23/12) alone. And lets be clear, I'm only talking about horrible things done by Priest themselves, not their members/believers, and only limiting it to this country. Now, would you like to open it up to all believers all across the world?

February 24th, 2012, 5:55 pm
Profile WWW
Modmin Dude

wjb21ndtown wrote:
TheRealWags wrote:
Quote:

I guess the Church also condones the death penalty and abortion too then right? Make some damn sense, and stop posting ridiculous bullsh!t Liberal fallacious arguments and spurious conclusions.
So which part is fallacy? The part about US Law being Christian in its foundation? Or that posters here believe that to be the case?

I know you know what the meaning of "could" is, so don't try to make it seem that it was a fact.

RIF

February 24th, 2012, 6:04 pm
Pablo wrote:
Horrible things done by the church, sure. Look at the uproar over the incidents at Penn State in the past few months and think just how many times this has happened and been covered up by the church.

As for "YESTERDAY", Priest George Ansel Smith went to court in Philly to face 24 new counts on top of the 38 counts he was already facing.

Also "YESTERDAY", Priest Christopher Wenthe of St. Paul had to face a judge for failing to "cooperate" with his parole officer after being convicted of "criminal sexual conduct".

There are plenty more from just yesterday (2/23/12) alone. And lets be clear, I'm only talking about horrible things done by Priest themselves, not their members/believers, and only limiting it to this country. Now, would you like to open it up to all believers all across the world?

Pablo, you make a good point with the pedophelia crap. The Church really did do a horrible job not condemning the acts that we're brought against a large number of priests.

That said, these things really weren't "sanctioned" by the Church, or done in the Church's name.

Wags, you really disagree that our founding fathers had Christian roots, and that their Christianity had a role in shaping our legal system?

Regarding the "law" supporting otherwise immoral ends, it's ridiculous to say to that Christianity speaks through the law, just because the law was founded, in part on Christianity. Just as I mentioned to TDJ, once something becomes law it is nothing more than law. It's not an endorsement of a particular religion and it's not an endorsement of a particular moral code. It's nothing more than a legislated code that the soceity has chosen to live by. Religion isn't the only aspect of society that has shaped our laws. Necessity, twisted societal ends, financial concerns, medical concerns, etc. have all had roles in shaping our laws.

You made a bullsh!t argument, and you know it. Lately you've shown yourself to be a closed-minded, nitpicky, whiny, typical Liberal that uses bullsh!t talking points with little to no rationality behind them, that really have no point whatsoever, other than to cast dispersions on numerous things not Liberal at all costs with no other end. It's ridiculous.

From calling Fox out for "lying" about a story, or accusing them of poor fact checking after reporting the nearest major metropolis as a location for an event, to this nonsense here you've been ridiculous lately.

February 24th, 2012, 6:22 pm
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next