View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 19th, 2014, 10:02 pm

Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 1st Round Pick 

Who do you like?
Janoris Jenkins-CB 6%  6%  [ 2 ]
Nick Perry-DE 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
Luke Kuechly-LB 9%  9%  [ 3 ]
Cordy Glenn-G/T 12%  12%  [ 4 ]
Peter Konz-C/G 39%  39%  [ 13 ]
Mike Adams-T 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Mark Barron-S 30%  30%  [ 10 ]
Total votes : 33

1st Round Pick 
5th Round Pick - Traded

Post Re: 1st Round Pick
The more I look at this years Safety class, the more underwhelmed I get. Barron being a question mark because of the injury. Maybe the Lions best bet will be a FA, if they can afford one.

February 22nd, 2012, 6:29 pm
Hall of Fame Player

I can't vote. I would be happy with any 1 of them except Adams.

If all of them are still on the board at 23, we could trade down 6 spots and still get 1 of them and gain picks in the process.

February 22nd, 2012, 8:47 pm
Varsity Captain

you couldnt pay me to touch jenkens.arrests aside the kid is a head case with overratted cover skills.

February 22nd, 2012, 11:40 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Think we'd finally bring in Jarrad Page at S, or would that be too much like admitting guilt? He's with the Vikings currently, but he'll be an UFA.

February 26th, 2012, 7:17 am
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

At this point if he is there I think I could go Nick Perry.

February 27th, 2012, 9:09 pm
League MVP

perry had some impressive workouts, i dont remember seeing him much during the season but he certainly didnt hurt himself at the combine

February 27th, 2012, 10:15 pm
RIP Killer

And here we go.....fans jumping from one bandwagon to another based on Combine workouts. Perry was likely going to be a top 20 pick even before these workouts. Everyone knew he had really good athletic talents. It's about how he applies them on the field. How much did you hear about Perry during the season? Probably not much. Same thing with people now oooohing and aaaahing over David Molk and his 41 reps. He's a decent center, but he certainly isn't as technically sound as Konz. Centers don't bench press DTs. Without proper leverage, balance and hand quickness a center can do 60 reps on the bench press and it won't matter.

The things to look for at the Combines are not in the 40 yard dash, or the bench press, or the broad jump, or vertical jump. It's a combination of all those, and how those players make use of those talents on the field. Watch the drills and see a players ease of movement, fluidity, quickness and body positions during all that. Some players run a slow 40 time, but when you watch them during drills you marvel at their speed and quickness. THAT is what scouts and coaches are looking for. And the only thing that does for the scouts and coaches is make them go back and look at game tapes of that particular player to see if they missed something in previous reviews of that guy.

I've heard it time and again from many coaches and scouts. The Combines do little for the top level players, but it does help some lower level players who have solid workouts. They might not otherwise get noticed or looked at. Most teams have their top players on their big boards, and now are looking at late round prospects who stand out. I agree that some players make money at the Combines because a team will over react to their workouts. I think in the first round, Dontari Poe made money because those teams that saw him as strictly a 34 NT will now see him as a viable 43 DT that can wreak some havoc. Perry did help himself, because he showed the athleticism and strength to be either a 34 OLB or a 43 DE. But in his case, I think most teams felt he could do either.

February 28th, 2012, 12:10 am

I'm not a fan of Perry for a couple of reasons. The first being he looks like he pulled a Merriman and put on about twenty pounds of muscle in a short time period. The second is that when I watch him in a game he is a one trick pony and those guys usually struggle when they get to the NFL. When you watch him he either sets the edge if he's not rushing the QB or he is looking to beat the tackle to the outside for the sack. I've barely seen a counter move if any at all and that is just going to allow NFL OTs to ride him out of the play. His upside is huge, but does he have the ability to expand his pass rush repetoire and does he have the drive and want to work at being better?

February 28th, 2012, 7:52 am
RIP Killer

sweetd20 wrote:
I'm not a fan of Perry for a couple of reasons. The first being he looks like he pulled a Merriman and put on about twenty pounds of muscle in a short time period. The second is that when I watch him in a game he is a one trick pony and those guys usually struggle when they get to the NFL. When you watch him he either sets the edge if he's not rushing the QB or he is looking to beat the tackle to the outside for the sack. I've barely seen a counter move if any at all and that is just going to allow NFL OTs to ride him out of the play. His upside is huge, but does he have the ability to expand his pass rush repetoire and does he have the drive and want to work at being better?

Good observations, even better questions..... :cheers:

February 28th, 2012, 9:55 am
5th Round Pick - Traded

m2karateman wrote:
And here we go.....fans jumping from one bandwagon to another based on Combine workouts. Perry was likely going to be a top 20 pick even before these workouts. Everyone knew he had really good athletic talents. It's about how he applies them on the field. How much did you hear about Perry during the season? Probably not much. Same thing with people now oooohing and aaaahing over David Molk and his 41 reps. He's a decent center, but he certainly isn't as technically sound as Konz. Centers don't bench press DTs. Without proper leverage, balance and hand quickness a center can do 60 reps on the bench press and it won't matter.

The things to look for at the Combines are not in the 40 yard dash, or the bench press, or the broad jump, or vertical jump. It's a combination of all those, and how those players make use of those talents on the field. Watch the drills and see a players ease of movement, fluidity, quickness and body positions during all that. Some players run a slow 40 time, but when you watch them during drills you marvel at their speed and quickness. THAT is what scouts and coaches are looking for. And the only thing that does for the scouts and coaches is make them go back and look at game tapes of that particular player to see if they missed something in previous reviews of that guy.

I've heard it time and again from many coaches and scouts. The Combines do little for the top level players, but it does help some lower level players who have solid workouts. They might not otherwise get noticed or looked at. Most teams have their top players on their big boards, and now are looking at late round prospects who stand out. I agree that some players make money at the Combines because a team will over react to their workouts. I think in the first round, Dontari Poe made money because those teams that saw him as strictly a 34 NT will now see him as a viable 43 DT that can wreak some havoc. Perry did help himself, because he showed the athleticism and strength to be either a 34 OLB or a 43 DE. But in his case, I think most teams felt he could do either.

m2k, I believe the key thing you mentioned is fluidity, or their ease of movement. Especially when changing direction. Lots of these kids you see look muscled-up, have good bench press numbers, run a great 40, then when there in movement drills they struggle to breakdown and change direction.
So, for me a kid that doesn't necessarily have as a good of 40 time, but has that natural fluidity and flow to his movements is one of the things I look for on the combine show. I like to pay special attention to the linebackers, and just to name a few that stood out to me.
Tank Carder didn't have a great 40 (4.69) but looked smooth in his change of direction. Demario Davis looked good in his drills and also had a good 40 and bp numbers. Luke Kuechly looks like the total package, great work-out and has the tape that proves he's probably the real deal. I realize he will probably be gone at 23, and the Lions might not choose him even if he was there. Sorry to dwell on LB's, but feel the Lions linebacking unit leaves alot to be desired.

February 28th, 2012, 10:48 am
RIP Killer

Completely agree. I have been watching some of the d-backs drills, and some players that stood out to me:

Justin Bethel - This kid looks like he's got it all together. Small school player (Presbyterian) who has the physical skills. Fluid hips, nice size, good hands.

Terrence Frederick - has quick hips and runs well. Very fluid in change of direction from what I saw.

Casey Hayward - stays low during backpedal and has quick feet during same. Some players backpedal seems in slow motion. Not this guy.

George Iloka - I'd love to see the Lions be able to grab him in round two. I think he's a perfect compliment to Delmas. Has great size, but is very fluid in his motions.

Asa Jackson, Janzen Jackson and Trumaine Johnson were all other guys who showed the same traits: low backpedal, good ball skills, nice change of direction ability. Trumaine Johnson is definitely someone teams will be looking at further. With his size and skills, most teams will find a spot for him in their secondary at either CB or FS. Both Jacksons should be really good development prospects, and could go mid round or higher.

February 28th, 2012, 11:59 am
Hall of Fame Player

Is Trumaine Johnson a JR. by any chance? Because I think I remember a Trumaine Johnson that started in the USFL and then went to the NFL after the USFL folded.

February 28th, 2012, 3:09 pm

After the combine, I am a believer in Kuechly but what are the odds that he falls in our lap?

February 28th, 2012, 4:10 pm
RIP Killer

Killwill25 wrote:
After the combine, I am a believer in Kuechly but what are the odds that he falls in our lap?

In my mind, simply won't happen. I have high doubts he gets past Philly, but also might be taken as high as Miami (if they are out of the running for a QB) or KC if they strike out on getting an OL.

He can play inside or outside, so his versatility is appealing for any team looking for an OLB in a 43, or an ILB in any defense.

February 28th, 2012, 4:37 pm
m2karateman wrote:
Killwill25 wrote:

In my mind, simply won't happen. I have high doubts he gets past Philly, but also might be taken as high as Miami (if they are out of the running for a QB) or KC if they strike out on getting an OL.

He can play inside or outside, so his versatility is appealing for any team looking for an OLB in a 43, or an ILB in any defense.

Kuechly and Dre Kirpatrick are, IMO, pipe-dreams. IMO there's no way that either of those guys will be there when we pick.

February 28th, 2012, 4:46 pm
Reply to topic   [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next