View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 25th, 2014, 3:09 am



Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Randy Moss as a Lion 
Author Message
Heisman Winner
User avatar

Joined: March 28th, 2005, 7:50 pm
Posts: 805
Location: Burbs of De-town
Post Re: Randy Moss as a Lion
I just don't see any upside. If Belicheat don't want you anymore, there's a reason for it. He's certainly the type that would be in it just to get a paycheck again.


February 17th, 2012, 7:13 pm
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: October 20th, 2004, 4:16 pm
Posts: 9891
Location: Where ever I'm at now
Post Re: Randy Moss as a Lion
allenslions wrote:
No way would i touch him.and replace stovall who is a big part of our special teams.no way u think moss would even think about tackling somebody.


Based on how poorly our special teams were this season, I don't know that your argument holds much water......but I understand your point. If Moss were to be signed as a fourth receiver then it would be an extremely stupid move. I think what most are looking at is the idea of replacing Burleson with Moss. I wouldn't mind seeing the Lions get a better second receiver, but at 35 years old and a known headcase, I don't think Moss is the guy I'd single out as the one to be the guy for the job.

_________________
Driver of the 'we need a coaching change' bandwagon. Climb aboard.


February 20th, 2012, 1:51 pm
Profile
Post Re: Randy Moss as a Lion
m2karateman wrote:
allenslions wrote:
No way would i touch him.and replace stovall who is a big part of our special teams.no way u think moss would even think about tackling somebody.


Based on how poorly our special teams were this season, I don't know that your argument holds much water......but I understand your point. If Moss were to be signed as a fourth receiver then it would be an extremely stupid move. I think what most are looking at is the idea of replacing Burleson with Moss. I wouldn't mind seeing the Lions get a better second receiver, but at 35 years old and a known headcase, I don't think Moss is the guy I'd single out as the one to be the guy for the job.


I understand your point, but if we gave the guy a two year deal with a $1 mill SB vet minimum salary this year, $2.5-4 million dollar salary next year (remember, this number really doesn't mean anything, we could cut him and not be out any of it), we would put ourselves in a low-risk, high reward situation.

I understand the risks of Randy's lockerroom troubles, but most of them came when he was a younger, more firey guy. After he grew up most of his teammates really liked him, until he was blackballed in NE, and he became a dick. Now, I don't know what the market for Moss is going to be. He may have multiple suitors and he may get a $3-5 mill SB and a decent contract, especially with teams like Chicago, St. Louis, etc. with dire needs at WR. But if we can bring him in for a reasonable wage (and possibly allow us to cut Nate and get out of his godforsaken deal), I'm all for it.


February 21st, 2012, 2:20 pm
1st Round Pick
User avatar

Joined: May 8th, 2010, 4:25 pm
Posts: 1292
Location: Cloudy Town, Minnesota. 763.18 miles from Ford Field
Post Re: Randy Moss as a Lion
wjb21ndtown wrote:
m2karateman wrote:
allenslions wrote:
No way would i touch him.and replace stovall who is a big part of our special teams.no way u think moss would even think about tackling somebody.


Based on how poorly our special teams were this season, I don't know that your argument holds much water......but I understand your point. If Moss were to be signed as a fourth receiver then it would be an extremely stupid move. I think what most are looking at is the idea of replacing Burleson with Moss. I wouldn't mind seeing the Lions get a better second receiver, but at 35 years old and a known headcase, I don't think Moss is the guy I'd single out as the one to be the guy for the job.


I understand your point, but if we gave the guy a two year deal with a $1 mill SB vet minimum salary this year, $2.5-4 million dollar salary next year (remember, this number really doesn't mean anything, we could cut him and not be out any of it), we would put ourselves in a low-risk, high reward situation.

I understand the risks of Randy's lockerroom troubles, but most of them came when he was a younger, more firey guy. After he grew up most of his teammates really liked him, until he was blackballed in NE, and he became a dick. Now, I don't know what the market for Moss is going to be. He may have multiple suitors and he may get a $3-5 mill SB and a decent contract, especially with teams like Chicago, St. Louis, etc. with dire needs at WR. But if we can bring him in for a reasonable wage (and possibly allow us to cut Nate and get out of his godforsaken deal), I'm all for it.


With the year Nate had, I would be all for Moss. Probably be just a one year deal only.

_________________
Image

Follow me on Twitter: @W2G4U


February 21st, 2012, 2:28 pm
Profile WWW
Post Re: Randy Moss as a Lion
Lions2SB2 wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
m2karateman wrote:
allenslions wrote:
No way would i touch him.and replace stovall who is a big part of our special teams.no way u think moss would even think about tackling somebody.


Based on how poorly our special teams were this season, I don't know that your argument holds much water......but I understand your point. If Moss were to be signed as a fourth receiver then it would be an extremely stupid move. I think what most are looking at is the idea of replacing Burleson with Moss. I wouldn't mind seeing the Lions get a better second receiver, but at 35 years old and a known headcase, I don't think Moss is the guy I'd single out as the one to be the guy for the job.


I understand your point, but if we gave the guy a two year deal with a $1 mill SB vet minimum salary this year, $2.5-4 million dollar salary next year (remember, this number really doesn't mean anything, we could cut him and not be out any of it), we would put ourselves in a low-risk, high reward situation.

I understand the risks of Randy's lockerroom troubles, but most of them came when he was a younger, more firey guy. After he grew up most of his teammates really liked him, until he was blackballed in NE, and he became a dick. Now, I don't know what the market for Moss is going to be. He may have multiple suitors and he may get a $3-5 mill SB and a decent contract, especially with teams like Chicago, St. Louis, etc. with dire needs at WR. But if we can bring him in for a reasonable wage (and possibly allow us to cut Nate and get out of his godforsaken deal), I'm all for it.


With the year Nate had, I would be all for Moss. Probably be just a one year deal only.



One year deal doesn't make sense. It doesn't allow us to spread out his SB, and it doesn't allow us to give him the "carrot" of the big payday next year if he plays well. Further, why wouldn't you want a more or less "opt out year" for us next year? If Moss comes in and IS the "eraser" that Nate was supposed to be, and if Moss comes in and plays like he once did at NE, why wouldn't you want to give him $4.0 million? That's what Nate would make next year anyhow.

Randy Moss playing like Randy Moss is well worth $4.0 million dollars, Nate B., not so much. Nate's contract was horrible and its part of what is holding this team back. This move (if it worked out this way) allows us to correct a problem, AND get better talent.


February 21st, 2012, 2:33 pm
1st Round Pick
User avatar

Joined: May 8th, 2010, 4:25 pm
Posts: 1292
Location: Cloudy Town, Minnesota. 763.18 miles from Ford Field
Post Re: Randy Moss as a Lion
wjb21ndtown wrote:
Lions2SB2 wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
m2karateman wrote:
allenslions wrote:
No way would i touch him.and replace stovall who is a big part of our special teams.no way u think moss would even think about tackling somebody.


Based on how poorly our special teams were this season, I don't know that your argument holds much water......but I understand your point. If Moss were to be signed as a fourth receiver then it would be an extremely stupid move. I think what most are looking at is the idea of replacing Burleson with Moss. I wouldn't mind seeing the Lions get a better second receiver, but at 35 years old and a known headcase, I don't think Moss is the guy I'd single out as the one to be the guy for the job.


I understand your point, but if we gave the guy a two year deal with a $1 mill SB vet minimum salary this year, $2.5-4 million dollar salary next year (remember, this number really doesn't mean anything, we could cut him and not be out any of it), we would put ourselves in a low-risk, high reward situation.

I understand the risks of Randy's lockerroom troubles, but most of them came when he was a younger, more firey guy. After he grew up most of his teammates really liked him, until he was blackballed in NE, and he became a dick. Now, I don't know what the market for Moss is going to be. He may have multiple suitors and he may get a $3-5 mill SB and a decent contract, especially with teams like Chicago, St. Louis, etc. with dire needs at WR. But if we can bring him in for a reasonable wage (and possibly allow us to cut Nate and get out of his godforsaken deal), I'm all for it.


With the year Nate had, I would be all for Moss. Probably be just a one year deal only.



One year deal doesn't make sense. It doesn't allow us to spread out his SB, and it doesn't allow us to give him the "carrot" of the big payday next year if he plays well. Further, why wouldn't you want a more or less "opt out year" for us next year? If Moss comes in and IS the "eraser" that Nate was supposed to be, and if Moss comes in and plays like he once did at NE, why wouldn't you want to give him $4.0 million? That's what Nate would make next year anyhow.

Randy Moss playing like Randy Moss is well worth $4.0 million dollars, Nate B., not so much. Nate's contract was horrible and its part of what is holding this team back. This move (if it worked out this way) allows us to correct a problem, AND get better talent.


That's the thing though if Moss plays like Moss then he is, your taking a gamble with him. Although I think if he wants to come out of retirement, then he does really want to be apart of a team.

_________________
Image

Follow me on Twitter: @W2G4U


February 24th, 2012, 11:03 am
Profile WWW
Post Re: Randy Moss as a Lion
Lions2SB2 wrote:
That's the thing though if Moss plays like Moss then he is, your taking a gamble with him. Although I think if he wants to come out of retirement, then he does really want to be apart of a team.


I really don't understand what you're trying to say. Under my proposed scenario, we really wouldn't be taking any risk whatsoever. Randy has never really had a problem with "not wanting to be part of the team," all of his issues more or less came from not being wanted. However, even those subsided after Oakland, aside for when he was literally blackballed from NE. He didn't do well with it, and he didn't deserve it, IMO. They brought in Chad Johnson to replace him, and Randy Moss right now could do more for them than Chad Johnson, hands down.


February 24th, 2012, 3:33 pm
League MVP

Joined: February 11th, 2005, 3:01 pm
Posts: 3698
Location: WSU
Post Re: Randy Moss as a Lion
randy moss? really? the same guy that went through 3 teams in 2010 - did anyone pay attention to what happened to the Titans after they picked him up? 6 catches for moss and a 1-7 finish after a 5-3 start. no thanks.

no surprise that wjb wants him though. hates stafford's attitude somehow but is ok with moss. go figure.


February 24th, 2012, 9:11 pm
Profile
Post Re: Randy Moss as a Lion
The Legend wrote:
randy moss? really? the same guy that went through 3 teams in 2010 - did anyone pay attention to what happened to the Titans after they picked him up? 6 catches for moss and a 1-7 finish after a 5-3 start. no thanks.

no surprise that wjb wants him though. hates stafford's attitude somehow but is ok with moss. go figure.



Legend, I'm proposing a no-lose situation for the Lions. We can't lose if we're giving him a vet min., with a larger salary later, and a fairly cheap signing bonus. We can cut the guy at ANY TIME and send the team a disciplinary message if we need to. He won't be able to negatively effect the atmosphere of the locker-room. If anything he'll be used as a pawn to keep guys on their toes.

And, like I said, I would be just as happy with Chad Johnson. Now, with Chad Johnson, you can criticize his production, but you really can't gripe about his locker-room presence, his ability to be a teammate, or his off the field issues. I think Moss' issues are behind him, but Johnson really doesn't have any. The ONLY thing that anyone had to say bad about him in New England is that he's a poor study and he's just not that smart. We don't exactly run an offense that contends with nuclear physics, and I think he can grasp what we have going on. He obviously couldn't in NE, but who cares, again, no risk, high reward.

Also, I've stated over and over that I would like to see us draft a rookie WR at some point. I really like Junior Hemmingway and Cunningham both, about equally. I want someone that can come in and push our guys. That group (our WRs) seems to have gotten lazy and unfocused. They're too complacent. The only one fighting for more time, more reps, and a better roster spot was Titus, and he's the only one not named Calvin that was worth a damn, IMO.


February 28th, 2012, 5:34 pm
Player of the Year - Defense

Joined: September 25th, 2007, 3:20 am
Posts: 2795
Post Re: Randy Moss as a Lion
Randy can't run routes. He's limited to a deep routes only and he's lost a step, so he can't separate from even mediocre corners now. All you have to do is watch tape of his last few games in NE and then Minnesota and Tennessee. He's not worth the vet minimum anymore. Johnson was even worse. The reason he didn't really get into the offense in NE is he couldn't be strict on his routes. He didn't break when he was supposed too and you could see the result every time he was targeted. Johnson can still be effective in an offense that doesn't have strict timing routes like NE does, but neither are better options than Nate at this point in time. The only way Nate gets replaced is if we draft a WR in round 1, otherwise his known leadership skills with the receivers is better than the unknowns you have with Moss and Johnson.


February 28th, 2012, 6:49 pm
Profile
Team MVP
User avatar

Joined: February 20th, 2007, 10:51 pm
Posts: 3362
Location: Saginaw, MI
Post Re: Randy Moss as a Lion
wjb21ndtown wrote:
The Legend wrote:
randy moss? really? the same guy that went through 3 teams in 2010 - did anyone pay attention to what happened to the Titans after they picked him up? 6 catches for moss and a 1-7 finish after a 5-3 start. no thanks.

no surprise that wjb wants him though. hates stafford's attitude somehow but is ok with moss. go figure.



Legend, I'm proposing a no-lose situation for the Lions. We can't lose if we're giving him a vet min., with a larger salary later, and a fairly cheap signing bonus. We can cut the guy at ANY TIME and send the team a disciplinary message if we need to. He won't be able to negatively effect the atmosphere of the locker-room. If anything he'll be used as a pawn to keep guys on their toes.

And, like I said, I would be just as happy with Chad Johnson. Now, with Chad Johnson, you can criticize his production, but you really can't gripe about his locker-room presence, his ability to be a teammate, or his off the field issues. I think Moss' issues are behind him, but Johnson really doesn't have any. The ONLY thing that anyone had to say bad about him in New England is that he's a poor study and he's just not that smart. We don't exactly run an offense that contends with nuclear physics, and I think he can grasp what we have going on. He obviously couldn't in NE, but who cares, again, no risk, high reward.

Also, I've stated over and over that I would like to see us draft a rookie WR at some point. I really like Junior Hemmingway and Cunningham both, about equally. I want someone that can come in and push our guys. That group (our WRs) seems to have gotten lazy and unfocused. They're too complacent. The only one fighting for more time, more reps, and a better roster spot was Titus, and he's the only one not named Calvin that was worth a damn, IMO.


Woah Woah Woah.....Im curious as to how you (or any other fan) knows what "kind" of offense a team runs, or how hard their playbook is? I dont know about you, but ive never been part of any NFL teams huddle or classroom sessions. No offense.

_________________
April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.


Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011


February 28th, 2012, 8:58 pm
Profile
League MVP

Joined: February 11th, 2005, 3:01 pm
Posts: 3698
Location: WSU
Post Re: Randy Moss as a Lion
Quote:
That group (our WRs) seems to have gotten lazy and unfocused. They're too complacent. The only one fighting for more time, more reps, and a better roster spot was Titus, and he's the only one not named Calvin that was worth a damn, IMO
.

im not sure i agree with this. titus showed some emotion on the field but he also made a lot of mental mistakes. i wouldnt qualify burleson as lazy. he seems to interact with fans a little more than most but i dont know that he s made mental mistakes that would make me think he is unfocused. i dont question stovall or davis effort - they dont offer much as wideouts but i wouldnt use any of the adjective you listed to describe them. i could see calling pettigrew unfocused or lazy at times with his blocking.

agree with what you wrote about ochocinco but Moss and TO are a different breed that I dont want any part regardless of how small of a financial risk it may be.


February 28th, 2012, 9:37 pm
Profile
Hall of Fame Player
User avatar

Joined: April 5th, 2005, 7:03 am
Posts: 7411
Location: Ford Field - 35 yard line / Row 32
Post Re: Randy Moss as a Lion
No Moss.

_________________
Image


February 29th, 2012, 8:23 am
Profile WWW
Stadium Announcer

Joined: December 6th, 2005, 10:44 am
Posts: 73
Post Re: Randy Moss as a Lion
Capital, HELL NO!!!
We already have one of the best WR cores in the NFL. When we get best smith and leshore back it will give matt a couple more dump pass options. With Titus being in his second year and how strong he looked last year. Name me a better recieving corps other than GB.
Calvin
Titus
Burleson
Pett
Smith
Leshore
Best
...
I feel pretty good bout that. lets focus on DBs and OL please no more WRs.

_________________
We need Joey back...Jk but seriously.


February 29th, 2012, 3:32 pm
Profile
Heisman Winner
User avatar

Joined: July 14th, 2005, 11:58 am
Posts: 789
Post Re: Randy Moss as a Lion
wjb21ndtown wrote:
Legend, I'm proposing a no-lose situation for the Lions. We can't lose if we're giving him a vet min., with a larger salary later, and a fairly cheap signing bonus. We can cut the guy at ANY TIME and send the team a disciplinary message if we need to. He won't be able to negatively effect the atmosphere of the locker-room. If anything he'll be used as a pawn to keep guys on their toes.

And, like I said, I would be just as happy with Chad Johnson. Now, with Chad Johnson, you can criticize his production, but you really can't gripe about his locker-room presence, his ability to be a teammate, or his off the field issues. I think Moss' issues are behind him, but Johnson really doesn't have any. The ONLY thing that anyone had to say bad about him in New England is that he's a poor study and he's just not that smart. We don't exactly run an offense that contends with nuclear physics, and I think he can grasp what we have going on. He obviously couldn't in NE, but who cares, again, no risk, high reward.

Also, I've stated over and over that I would like to see us draft a rookie WR at some point. I really like Junior Hemmingway and Cunningham both, about equally. I want someone that can come in and push our guys. That group (our WRs) seems to have gotten lazy and unfocused. They're too complacent. The only one fighting for more time, more reps, and a better roster spot was Titus, and he's the only one not named Calvin that was worth a damn, IMO.


It's not a no-lose situation though, we lose a roster spot on a washed up WR who wouldn't play for 3 teams in '10 and couldn't find a job in '11.


February 29th, 2012, 4:45 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.