View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 23rd, 2014, 12:37 pm

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 Sometimes, there is just more to the story. 
Modmin Dude

Post Sometimes, there is just more to the story.
MLive wrote:
Detroit Lions staff members and local reporters prove there is always more to the story
Published: Monday, February 27, 2012, 6:00 PM
Anwar S. Richardson | arichar2@mlive.com

Many times those associated with the Detroit Lions are criticized for things they say or do.

I arrived at the NFL Scouting Combine in Indianapolis last Wednesday with full intentions of covering that event until Sunday. I looked forward to updating everybody on the contract situations of Calvin Johnson, Cliff Avril, Eric Wright and anything else to come from that event. I also could not wait to speak with potential NFL prospects. It is always fun to hear about their college careers and figure out Detroit's interest in each player.

Then I received a phone call Thursday night from my pregnant wife.

She believed we were starting to lose our first baby two months into pregnancy.

I caught the first flight home on Friday morning. The people at Delta Air Lines were kind enough to waive all of my fees, so I could be with her. We have no family in Michigan, so knowing she spent Thursday night in Beaumont Hospital, Royal Oak, alone was beyond heartbreaking for me.

Then people showed their true colors.

Philip Zaroo, my coworker, began writing stories about the combine from home to cover me. Bill Emkow, my boss and friend, told me to take as much time off as I need. Justin Rogers took time away from his other assignments to step in for me.

Sure, coworkers are supposed to step up for each other. That being said, we all have worked with coworkers not known for doing the "right" thing.

What those guys did was special.

Then the unexpected happened.

I received a phone call from Detroit Free Press writer Dave Birkett offering his encouragement. Detroit Lions writer Tim Twentyman contacted me to offer his support. CBSSports writer John Kreger made sure he was in constant contact with me. Associated Press writer Larry Lage sports writer encouraged me through e-mail. Lions writer Chrissie Wywrot took over Kreger's cell phone during the combine to send me a heart-felt text message.

Technically, all of them are my competitors.

Instead, they were my comforters.

Detroit Lions President Tom Lewand and general manager Martin Mayhew contacted me. Both let me know they were praying for my family. Bill Keenist, the team's Senior Vice-President of Communications, constantly encouraged me throughout the weekend.

Many times I receive a "no comment" from them.

Instead, they spoke when it was important.

My wife and I named our baby Angel Richardson. It was too early determine if the baby was a boy or girl. We both believed it was a girl. Now she is with the angels.

No need to feel bad for me.

We did not lose our baby.

Anybody in heaven is not lost.

However, I discovered something.

Those who work for the Detroit Lions, or cover this team, have tremendous hearts.

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/20 ... rs_an.html

Thoughts & prayers to Mr & Mrs Richardson.

February 29th, 2012, 2:38 pm
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

Post Re: Sometimes, there is just more to the story.
Thanks wags....what a heart warming read......which brings me to my good news. NEW THREAD IS STARTING! lol

March 1st, 2012, 6:06 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]