View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 18th, 2014, 12:31 pm

Reply to topic  [ 114 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 ***Bounty-Gate*** 
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

Post Re: NFL finds that Saints violated “bounty rule”
Killwill25 wrote:
CMWSR wrote:
I personally think the media has blown this clear out of proportion. This kind of thing has been happening since the beginning of football. Now the big question becomes whether or not the "bonuses" were for illegal plays?

But now there as big an emphasis on safety than ever before. The leauge investegated them for about 3 years, it sounds like they already know exactly what the bonuses were for.I hope after they punished by the NFL, they are also punished on the field and get screwed on more calls than we do.
Goodell's statement today indicated that this case is "particularly troubling" because it specifically rewarded players for causing injury. "Pay for play" incentives are common, according to the plethora of players-turned-analysts who have discussed the issue on air today. "Pay for injury" is another matter altogether. With that said, I'm not going to get judgmental about it--I wouldn't be surprised if the Lions do this too.

I do like that the Saints' dirty play is getting exposed. The Lions were a whipping boy for dirty play last year but the Saints were probably even more aggressive.

March 3rd, 2012, 12:54 am
RIP Killer

mwill2 wrote:
Killwill25 wrote:
CMWSR wrote:
I personally think the media has blown this clear out of proportion. This kind of thing has been happening since the beginning of football. Now the big question becomes whether or not the "bonuses" were for illegal plays?

But now there as big an emphasis on safety than ever before. The leauge investegated them for about 3 years, it sounds like they already know exactly what the bonuses were for.I hope after they punished by the NFL, they are also punished on the field and get screwed on more calls than we do.
Goodell's statement today indicated that this case is "particularly troubling" because it specifically rewarded players for causing injury. "Pay for play" incentives are common, according to the plethora of players-turned-analysts who have discussed the issue on air today. "Pay for injury" is another matter altogether. With that said, I'm not going to get judgmental about it--I wouldn't be surprised if the Lions do this too.

I do like that the Saints' dirty play is getting exposed. The Lions were a whipping boy for dirty play last year but the Saints were probably even more aggressive.

Particularly when you take into account some of the stuff that was happening during the regular season meeting between the Lions and Saints, with the Lions getting flagged 90% of the time, even though the Saints were starting most of it and getting away with freakin' murder. And this dimwit ref comes out and says that Suh wasn't getting targeted. Right. Go sell that story to Readers Digest. Better yet, sell it to the National Enquirer. They enjoy printing lies.

March 3rd, 2012, 1:31 am
Team MVP

m2karateman wrote:
mwill2 wrote:
Killwill25 wrote:
CMWSR wrote:

Particularly when you take into account some of the stuff that was happening during the regular season meeting between the Lions and Saints, with the Lions getting flagged 90% of the time, even though the Saints were starting most of it and getting away with freakin' murder. And this dimwit ref comes out and says that Suh wasn't getting targeted. Right. Go sell that story to Readers Digest. Better yet, sell it to the National Enquirer. They enjoy printing lies.

I agree.

Hate to say it, but it KINDA makes you wonder if their is/was a "Pay-to-Flag" incentive going on. Doubt it, but still.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

March 3rd, 2012, 5:58 am
QB Coach

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/20 ... ayers.html

March 3rd, 2012, 10:42 am
Hall of Fame Player

Pablo wrote:
TheRealWags wrote:
It will interesting to see how this plays out. IMO if Goodell remains consistent, the Saints could see coaches, front office personnel as well as players all suspended; Not too mention fines being levied and the loss of draft picks. Me thinks this is just the beginning; this story could, and prolly will, last until training camp.

Thoughts?

And the Saints vs. Lions was seen as Good vs. Evil? Heck, at last we don't need no incentive to stomp on your head! :roll:

I agree Pablo! This is just outrageous!!

In fact, this entire thing just sickens me. Not just because of the Saints / Lions ramifications but that any coach would be so low class as to even support such a program. As far as I'm concerned there is no punishment for Payton or Wilson (or the Saints franchise) that is to harsh. If they suspended Payton for a season and terminated Wilson from the NFL permanently I'd be fine with that; but they never will.

49ers wrote:
I'm sure they are not the only team.

Sadly, that's probably true. But it would stop real quick if a message was sent in the form of a punishment that I just outlined.

March 3rd, 2012, 3:07 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

Pablo wrote:
TheRealWags wrote:
It will interesting to see how this plays out. IMO if Goodell remains consistent, the Saints could see coaches, front office personnel as well as players all suspended; Not too mention fines being levied and the loss of draft picks. Me thinks this is just the beginning; this story could, and prolly will, last until training camp.

Thoughts?

And the Saints vs. Lions was seen as Good vs. Evil? Heck, at last we don't need no incentive to stomp on your head! :roll:

I thought it was the Denver vs. Detroit game that was seen as Good vs. Evil? No matter. I agree with LF57, any punishment given won't be enough. Gregg Williams should be suspended for an entire season, at least. Sean Payton should get 4 games, minimum. And they should be losing some HIGH draft picks. If the Lions got slapped for two lower picks for the DC just mentioning a player, then this should be considered FAR more severe. They need to lose their second rounder this year (they don't have a first rounder) and they should lose their first round pick in 2013.

March 3rd, 2012, 5:05 pm
Player of the Year - Defense

m2karateman wrote:
Pablo wrote:
TheRealWags wrote:

Thoughts?

I thought it was the Denver vs. Detroit game that was seen as Good vs. Evil? No matter. I agree with LF57, any punishment given won't be enough. Gregg Williams should be suspended for an entire season, at least. Sean Payton should get 4 games, minimum. And they should be losing some HIGH draft picks. If the Lions got slapped for two lower picks for the DC just mentioning a player, then this should be considered FAR more severe. They need to lose their second rounder this year (they don't have a first rounder) and they should lose their first round pick in 2013.

The speculation right now I hear going around is 2nd and 3rd this years since they don't have a 1st and next years 1st.

March 3rd, 2012, 8:19 pm
Position Coach

I'm not sure, but weren't the Saints in the top 10 least penalized teams. Goodell should re-evaluate officiating too. They were out to injure other teams and the refs didn't notice?...

March 3rd, 2012, 9:24 pm
Team MVP

Killwill25 wrote:
I'm not sure, but weren't the Saints in the top 10 least penalized teams. Goodell should re-evaluate officiating too. They were out to injure other teams and the refs didn't notice?...

Great point. Im convinced the officials make the calls they WANT TO MAKE. We as fans can see holding, PI, roughing the passer, etc...from the stands or mostly the views from TV, yet the refs who are standing right there cant see any of it? Well, except for when its against the Lions that is.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

March 3rd, 2012, 9:38 pm
Veteran General Manager

CMWSR wrote:

Gregg Williams has admitted it. He even said that they all knew it was wrong. This is far beyond, " I'll buy you a beer if you tackle so and so behind their 20 yard line."

Yes they were for illegal plays. The bonuses were for "Taking guys out" as in "on a cart".

March 4th, 2012, 9:26 am
Veteran General Manager

49ers wrote:
I'm sure they are not the only team.

They are the only team with over 10,000 pages of documented evidence. It's example setting time.

March 4th, 2012, 9:29 am
Veteran General Manager

inheritedlionsfan wrote:
http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2012/03/did_new_orleans_saints_players.html

Interesting article.
Does anyone have a link to the video of the play right before Pettigrew shoved away from the official?
I remember this play. I even posted about it on this site. The guy that was defending against Pettigrew intentionally, stomped on Pettigrew's junk/Privates/family jewels right in front of the official while he was watching. Yet the bozo didn't see fit to throw the flag. I posted that if I were Pettigrew, I would have knocked that ref's block off.

March 4th, 2012, 9:41 am
Veteran General Manager

Killwill25 wrote:

I agree with this.

March 4th, 2012, 9:44 am
QB Coach

I'm honestly not surprised about this at all. I think most teams have this, they just have managed to keep it under wraps. Already I'm seeing headlines that there may be something similar coming out of Washington. I think we're going to see that many, many teams have things like this.

One telling thing is that most players who have commented on it have basically said that it's not news to them. I think it's sports media people and fans of other teams who are outraged/shocked about this. The people involved basically know it goes on and I don't think it should be a surprise.

That said, they still should be punished because it is a violation of the "spirit" of the game.

http://www.11points.com/Books/11_Things ... _Do_Anyway

LET'S GO DUKE!

If you don't like gay marriage, don't get one.

March 4th, 2012, 3:58 pm
Player of the Year - Defense

Touchdown Jesus wrote:
I'm honestly not surprised about this at all. I think most teams have this, they just have managed to keep it under wraps. Already I'm seeing headlines that there may be something similar coming out of Washington. I think we're going to see that many, many teams have things like this.

One telling thing is that most players who have commented on it have basically said that it's not news to them. I think it's sports media people and fans of other teams who are outraged/shocked about this. The people involved basically know it goes on and I don't think it should be a surprise.

That said, they still should be punished because it is a violation of the "spirit" of the game.

The reports out of Washington were when Williams was DC there from 2004-2007 and also while he was in Buffalo.

And the thing to remember is this wasn't just a pay for play for big hits that most teams readily admit too, it was the specific bonuses for knocking players out of the game for a play or the entire game. Most people are throwing the two together, but there's a big difference between pay players for a big hit and paying players for intentionally hurting other players.

March 4th, 2012, 4:04 pm
Reply to topic   [ 114 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next