View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 24th, 2014, 2:45 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 shout out from indy 
Post Re: shout out from indy
Killwill25 wrote:
WarEr4Christ wrote:
Actually I'm a huge NATE fan. I love what he does for the receiving corps by building up those around him. He knows his role and plays it, and provides the veteran leadership. I think he is a huge bonus for the team.

I like him too. He isn't perfect but he's not the one who missed every tackle in our most important game. And his teammates love him.

I don't get where all of this Nate love comes from. Is he a great guy? Sure. Does he have a good personality? Sure. Should you over pay someone by about $2.5 million dollars per year because they're nice? HELL NO!

I also don't get where all this "Nate is a great leader crap comes from." Sure, he's vocal, he says the right things, and he "stays positive," but what about his production on the field? IMO Good leaders lead by example, and IMO the lackadaisical demeanor he has on the field when he's dropping balls sucks, and his crying and whining over REAL offensive pass interference calls going against him is infectious. I think that POOR behavior had an effect on Titus and his going off, and on the whole team's demeanor and approach to that game. If dropping balls, whining about calls that go against you, and having a piss poor "woe is me" attitude on the field is your idea of a great leader, you can have him.

m2karateman wrote:
mwill2 wrote:
WarEr4Christ wrote:
Actually I'm a huge NATE fan. I love what he does for the receiving corps by building up those around him. He knows his role and plays it, and provides the veteran leadership. I think he is a huge bonus for the team.

+1. I don't understand the anth-Nate sentiment at all.

Nate is set to make $4M this year. As a second receiver, I just don't think his value is that high. Yes, he is a great team mate. But players are accustomed to seeing team mate leave all the time. His production as far as catches is well below what it should be. He doesn't even begin to draw focus away from Calvin. And while I understand that few, if any, would take focus off of CJ, Nate doesn't scare the opposition at all. He's a slot guy being paid as a #2 receiver, and a well paid #2 receiver at that. I would say that if Nate loves it here so much, he needs to agree to either a pay cut or to restructure his deal so that his cap hit is greatly reduced and allows the Lions to add some additional talent because of it. If he won't agree to that, cut him, because he's just proven he's not really about the team afterall.

I agree 100%. I would take Moss and his attitude at a cost savings even with his baggage, BECAUSE he brings value on the field with production and ability to take pressure off of CJ. Taking pressure off of CJ is ultimately what we brought Nate in here to do, and he flat out can't do it. He's NOT GETTING HIS JOB DONE. He's getting paid for one task, and quite nicely paid for one task (taking pressure off of CJ), and he's performing at least two levels below his pay grade. If he's a "great leader" and if he "loves it here" then he should do the right thing.

The bottom line is Titus is a better #2 WR right now. Right now Titus is the better of the two, and makes about 1/4 of what Nate makes. We can draft a slot guy pretty much anywhere in the draft that will play the slot role at least as well as Nate does and save nearly his entire $4 million. That's almost Tulloch's salary (I realize that Tulloch will likely want closer to $6million).

March 5th, 2012, 4:45 pm
Jonathan Martin
Kendal Wright
Dre Kirkpatrick
Cordy Glenn
Peter Konz

Are pretty much the only guys that I would be happy with. I would shake my head and be frustrated with, but understand if we picked David Wilson.

I prefer Konz over Glenn because of his versatility and ability to play OC. Konz, IMO solves an issue that Glenn doesn't - the ability to make our OL almost 10 years younger by replacing Raiola the following season. I personally wouldn't ever want to go into a draft and come out with a rookie OC and plan on starting him that year. I think it is a mistake. Further, if we have to give Raiola yet ANOTHER contract, we're going to have to over-pay him, again, and he's likely going to want to stretch it out to a point where he's no longer going to be effective (players do this all the time, it's almost common place), and we're not going to be in a position to say "no." I fear that if we don't take Knoz we're going to be looking at Raiola for another 3 years, and I think that will greatly hamper this team.

I would be happy with Glenn, but he doesn't solve the OC problem. I just don't see a pure OG as that big of a need when LT and OC are glaring needs, I think that's it is much easier to find a pure OG in the draft next year, and I think it is much safer to start a rookie OG than a rookie OC. For that reason I would rather we draft Konz, and get our OG next year if we really think it is that big of a need.

Martin is the only OT that I want that could possibly be there when we pick (but I think he's going to be gone). I can't stand Mike Adams, his off field issues, his technique problems, and his injury history. If we draft Mike Adams and don't re-sign Backus, IMO our LT play is going to suffer, and it will suffer for years. I think that Mike Adams is an LT in the Jeff Backus mold, and I don't think he will have as good of a career as Backus (length, reliability, and performance). It really disgusts me, because I think Adams is going to be the pick, and I think we're going to regret it for the next 3-4 years.

Dre Kirkpatrick, IMO, is a pipe dream to be there when we pick, but people are talking about him, so I will to. I like him, I think he's a good talent, and I think he will have a good career. I just think he's not going to be there when we pick.

Kendal Wright - go ahead and cry about "getting another WR" and cry about being "Matt Millenesqu", but the fact of the matter is Wright is better than Nate, he's more of a true #2 (and he could be a #1), and he allows us to cut or trade Nate and save $$$ this season and next. This team is in some pretty serious cap trouble, and saving $2.5 million dollars this year (approximately 1/2 of Tullochs salary, and possibly ALL of Tulloch's salary depending on how they structure his contract). At the end of the day drafting someone like Kendal Wright or Peter Konz, players that actually SAVE us cap space by allowing us to cut their veteran counter parts, could grant us the ability to keep someone like Tulloch. It would kind of be a 2 for 1 deal, and a true #2 WR may help this offense more than any other single position.

March 5th, 2012, 5:10 pm
Team MVP

I wouldn't mind the other picks, but spending a 1st round pick for a #3 receiver is crazy.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

March 5th, 2012, 6:16 pm
RIP Killer

kdsberman wrote:
I wouldn't mind the other picks, but spending a 1st round pick for a #3 receiver is crazy.

I wouldn't buy into the Kendall Wright pick at all, and I like the kid. But the fact is, there is some decent depth at WR in this draft, and some damn good talent could be there in round three. Plus, I want the Lions to get another big receiver, and Wright is under six foot. I would be very happy with Tommy Streeter or Brian Quick. Both six foot three or more, and both have good deep speed. Keep Titus in the slot and let him further develop. Run more three receiver, one TE sets and less two receiver, two TE sets.

March 5th, 2012, 7:57 pm
Mr. Irrelevant

If the Lions take a receiver at 23, then he must be BPA. I would have no problem with that. These guys seem to know what there doing, most of the time. Have to agree with m2k, I wouldn't want another small wide-out. Would prefer Michael Floyd or Stephen Hill, receivers with size.

March 5th, 2012, 10:16 pm
Team MVP

m2karateman wrote:
kdsberman wrote:

I wouldn't buy into the Kendall Wright pick at all, and I like the kid. But the fact is, there is some decent depth at WR in this draft, and some damn good talent could be there in round three. Plus, I want the Lions to get another big receiver, and Wright is under six foot. I would be very happy with Tommy Streeter or Brian Quick. Both six foot three or more, and both have good deep speed. Keep Titus in the slot and let him further develop. Run more three receiver, one TE sets and less two receiver, two TE sets.

I like Brian Quick.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

March 5th, 2012, 10:50 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

liontrax wrote:
If the Lions take a receiver at 23, then he must be BPA. I would have no problem with that. These guys seem to know what there doing, most of the time. Have to agree with m2k, I wouldn't want another small wide-out. Would prefer Michael Floyd or Stephen Hill, receivers with size.

Not a fan of WR in Rd 1, but I could see Floyd. Always respected his size, hands and effort.

EDIT: Paging Allenslions... would love to see your take after the combine.

March 6th, 2012, 5:12 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Veteran General Manager

m2karateman wrote:
kdsberman wrote:

Plus Brian Quick is the son of former Eagles WR Mike Quick. So, you know he has been bred and raised to be an NFL WR. At the very least, it's some good genetics for the position. LOL.

March 6th, 2012, 10:41 pm
Varsity 1st Team

Sorry guys for my delay in posting but its crazy for me right now.as for konz he has fallen for me and jones looks to me the better run blocker.i,m still on the barron to detroit bandwagon.i,m also not sold on any corners in the late 1rd.

March 8th, 2012, 11:00 am
Varsity 1st Team

Also on a side note.dont fall for all the burfect bullcrap.i have scouted him for 2 years and he is one of the best mlb prospects i have seen in a while.his instincts are off the charts.the 40 in his case throw out the window.he is a football player

March 8th, 2012, 11:55 am
Team MVP

Thanks for the update allenslions.
I would very much Love to draft Barron at 23, but I'd be a little leary of Burfict at that spot. Second round I would. But I definitely take ur word every time. The times I've watched Burfict, you're right..he is a great football player no doubt. I hope he's just stupid when it comes to talking.

I watched Jones in the MSU vs Georgia bowl game and he didn't really stand out to me. Then again that was one game.

March 8th, 2012, 2:28 pm
Mr. Irrelevant

I wouldn't touch Burfict in the first 2 rounds, that's just me. Imo, we don't need anymore dummies that can't keep it together. If the Lions are really interested and he's there in the 3rd, what the heck, I'm all for taking a gamble now and then, so is Mayhew obviously, he took Spievay in the 3rd.
As for the centers, from what I've been reading, it is a very poor class of centers this year. Maybe we just wait till next year.

March 8th, 2012, 3:43 pm
I agree, screw Burfict. I like Luke Kuechly if we go MLB, but I wouldn't be surprised if he's gone.

I wouldn't mind Jones at all, but he's definitely not worth a first round pick. I think Jones could also play OG for his first year, and should be there when we pick in the 2nd round.

I just can't stand that we're likely to end up with Mike Adams in the first round. I hate that pick. I think it screws us at LT for the next 4-5 years, and I think it makes this team worse in 2012. I'd rather get Jones or Konz to play OG and move to OC the following year. I think Cordy Glenn will be the best OLman available when we pick, but I wouldn't want to take him. I worry about his weight issues.

I also can't stand the Barron pick. We don't need another SS that can't cover. If we get a safety I would rather it be someone like George Iloka from Boise. I want someone that can cover!

March 8th, 2012, 4:06 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Why do you think Barron can't cover?

March 8th, 2012, 5:55 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Team MVP

DJ-B wrote:
Why do you think Barron can't cover?

I agree.

And also wjb, why on earth do u mention your mike Adams feelings in every thread? And why is it that u are 100% sure we will draft him? Did u have lunch with mayhew the other day and discuss this? And what makes u think Adams will even be there at 23?

March 8th, 2012, 6:08 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next