View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 2nd, 2014, 10:59 am

Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Jahvid Best gets OK to work out 
Hall of Fame Player

Post Jahvid Best gets OK to work out
ESPN.com wrote:
Updated: March 6, 2012, 8:33 PM ET

Source: Jahvid Best gets OK to work out

By Adam Schefter

Detroit Lions running back Jahvid Best, who sat out the final 10 games last season after suffering another concussion, has been cleared to work out, according to a source familiar with the situation.

The source said Best will be able to take part in the Detroit's OTAs, minicamps and training camp. While Best hasn't been cleared to return to football yet, the source would be "shocked" if Best isn't able to fully participate.

Best suffered his latest concussion on Oct. 16, when the Lions lost to San Francisco, and was placed on injured reserve in November.

Best also missed time during this preseason because of a concussion, and when he was a college player at California, he missed a few games after a fall knocked him out and sent him to the hospital with a concussion and sore back.

The Lions drafted Best in the first round in 2010. He ran for 555 yards as a rookie last season and caught 58 passes despite toe problems.

He started the first six games of this season, running for 390 yards on 84 carries. Lions coach Jim Schwartz said he started experiencing "concussion-like symptoms" after the loss to San Francisco.

I'm not sure how to interpret this yet. It sounds like Best is on the road to recovery but at the same time it would seem he's placing himself in a dangerous situation. He seems more concussion prone than most (if there is such a thing) and it just feels like one more would end his career if not really damage his health.

March 7th, 2012, 12:25 am
Profile WWW
Post Re: Jahvid Best gets OK to work out
I wish the guy would just retire (doesn't that get him out from under us with no cap hit?), but if he is going to take up a roster spot Schwartz brr learn that Best is more of a slot WR/RB tweener that should only be used for about 10-15 snaps per game.

March 7th, 2012, 12:28 am
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

He should'nt get more than 15 touches a game

March 7th, 2012, 1:21 am
Modmin Dude

Um, wasn't he cleared to work out / return to the team shortly after being placed on IR last year? :confused:

March 7th, 2012, 10:22 am
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

Killwill25 wrote:

That's all he's been getting as a Lion. 15.4 touches per game (including receptions) as a career average. With that said, I don't think either of his injuries (concussions and turf toe) can be attributed to his workload.

March 7th, 2012, 11:28 am
Player of the Year - Defense

TheRealWags wrote:
Um, wasn't he cleared to work out / return to the team shortly after being placed on IR last year? :confused:

This is just news that he's just been cleared to work out with the team. He's been working out since early december.

March 7th, 2012, 12:52 pm
Killwill25 wrote:

I don't think he should ever come close to 15 carries per game. I think he should get 5-6 at best, and a few catches, and that's about it. 15 snaps, not 15 carries/catches/tackles.

From what I understand it would cost us about $2 million to cut Best right now (salary $640k + roster bonus $580 = $1.202 million in savings this year to cut him - $1 mill SB prorated over 3 years ($3 million) = $1.8 million dollar cap hit. That's about the only reason I don't think we should cut the guy and walk away right now. Next year it is budget/cap neutral to cut him. If he doesn't perform this year, I expect him to be gone next year. That said, I would like to limit his time on the field to an amount where he could POSSIBLY stay healthy for an entire year, as difficult as that's going to be.

March 7th, 2012, 2:44 pm
Modmin Dude

A little info on Leshoure as well..........
PFT wrote:
Lions running backs are getting healthier
Posted by Josh Alper on March 7, 2012, 10:51 AM EST

The Lions are hoping for better health from their running backs in 2012 after they got just six games out of the Jahvid Best/Mikel Leshoure tandem during the 2011 season.

All of those games belonged to Best, who missed the rest of the campaign after suffering a concussion against the 49ers. Best had a history of concussions dating back to his college days at Cal and he wasn’t able to do much of anything physically after getting hurt last year. Adam Schefter of ESPN reports that Best has finally gotten clearance to start working out. Schefter’s source tells him that he would be “shocked” if Best wasn’t able to fully participate in OTAs and training camp.

Leshoure tore his left Achilles tendon during an August practice, ending his rookie season before it had a chance to really start. He’s been rehabbing at the Lions facility and feels like he’s making good progress toward a return to the field.

“I’m feeling pretty good when I run,” Leshoure said to Tim Twentyman of the Lions website. “I have no soreness or anything like that – no pain. I’m not full-speed sprints or cuts or anything like that, but just jogging in laps and half-gassers across the field and stuff. It’s building up slowly and I can definitely see progress. I’m 100-percent sure I’ll be ready for the season.”

While that’s good news for the Lions on both fronts, they’ll need to make sure they have insurance in the backfield this season. Kevin Smith had some good moments last season and his return would provide them with a player who will take some of the workload away from both of the rehabbing players.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... healthier/

March 7th, 2012, 3:59 pm
Hall of Fame Player

wjb21ndtown wrote:
Killwill25 wrote:

I don't think he should ever come close to 15 carries per game. I think he should get 5-6 at best, and a few catches, and that's about it. 15 snaps, not 15 carries/catches/tackles.

From what I understand it would cost us about $2 million to cut Best right now (salary $640k + roster bonus $580 = $1.202 million in savings this year to cut him - $1 mill SB prorated over 3 years ($3 million) = $1.8 million dollar cap hit. That's about the only reason I don't think we should cut the guy and walk away right now. Next year it is budget/cap neutral to cut him. If he doesn't perform this year, I expect him to be gone next year. That said, I would like to limit his time on the field to an amount where he could POSSIBLY stay healthy for an entire year, as difficult as that's going to be.

Admit it WJB, You won't be happy until Best gets ZERO TOUCHES per game. You haven't liked him since we drafted him.

March 9th, 2012, 8:15 am
Hall of Fame Player

I would certainly hope that the Lions make Best wear all the latest technology to prevent Concussions.

March 9th, 2012, 8:18 am
BillySims wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
Killwill25 wrote:

Admit it WJB, You won't be happy until Best gets ZERO TOUCHES per game. You haven't liked him since we drafted him.

Javid Best is exactly what I said he was when we drafted him - an injury prone 3rd down back that should have been drafted in the 3rd round. You were wrong about him, and apparently you can't handle it. Now we're over-paying this jackass and he's lousing up one of the most important positions on offense with his unreliability. Cutting him this year isn't very smart. It simply isn't "cap friendly." We would LOSE cap space if we cut him. (I don't know what happens if he retires. I thought retirees are cap neutral, but I could be wrong)

I would like to see him play as much as he can play AND be reliable. If that's two carries and 10 routes ran, it's two carries and 10 routes ran. The kid is a china doll that is one hit away from retirement IF he comes back at all. I don't want this nonsense scramble to find his replacement after he goes down in week 6-8. I'd like to see him make the entire season, even if it means playing him less.

I have no vendetta for the player. I wish he would have turned into an invincible superstar, but the fact remains, he never was that and he'll never be that. He's always been injury prone and its not going to change. I just want what's best for the team.

March 9th, 2012, 12:04 pm
RIP Killer

BillySims wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
Killwill25 wrote:

In defense of wjb, he wasn't the only person not a big fan of the Lions selection of Best in round one, let alone their deal to move up to get him. I am firmly in that wagon as well. I didn't like the trade, even though we really didn't give up much to get him. What was worse, is that Best is exactly what most of the detractors of the deal said he was....a speed back with OK vision and an injury problem. The Lions took a gamble, and it backfired. Not every pick works out. But it's unfair to get down on wjb when, in fact, his prediction that this player wouldn't pan out comes to fruition.

Much like the Lions front office, sometimes we are right about a prospect, sometimes we are wrong. The big issue is that when the Lions FO is wrong, it hurts the team.

March 9th, 2012, 12:12 pm
3rd Round Selection

If not for the injury thing, I think it would be fair to say Best was giving us decent value for the pick. He created a run game out of pretty poor blocking, IMO, in the early part of last season. Yes, it wasn't consistent yards, but when he broke one he usually broke a big one. And he played well as a receiver out of the backfield.

Personally, I'd prefer we keep him with a decent load and find out if he can cut it in the NFL and the injuries were unlucky, or whether he can't because the injuries are just a fact of life for him. Look at Stafford - is he the "china doll" of the first couple of seasons or does last season show he just got unlucky?

March 9th, 2012, 1:13 pm
RIP Killer

UK Lion wrote:
If not for the injury thing, I think it would be fair to say Best was giving us decent value for the pick. He created a run game out of pretty poor blocking, IMO, in the early part of last season. Yes, it wasn't consistent yards, but when he broke one he usually broke a big one. And he played well as a receiver out of the backfield.

Personally, I'd prefer we keep him with a decent load and find out if he can cut it in the NFL and the injuries were unlucky, or whether he can't because the injuries are just a fact of life for him. Look at Stafford - is he the "china doll" of the first couple of seasons or does last season show he just got unlucky?

However, UKL, you are missing something. Stafford's injury history was not apparent in college. He didn't get hurt like that at Georgia. Best had a history, and everyone knew it. It was said that some teams took Best completely off their draft board because of that.

And besides, comparing a shoulder injury to multiple concusions is hardly a fair comparison. You can do surgery to repair the shoulder. Concussions get progressively worse. Their effects still aren't fully known, particularly long term effects. And it's already been proven that a person who suffers a concussion is more apt to suffer another, and another.

Saying that you want to give him a decent load and see if he can cut it in the NFL....I think the Lions HAVE done that, and he's shown he can't handle the pounding. The hit he took at Cal that gave him his most notorious concussion was brutal. However, the hits he's taken as a Lion that concussed him weren't nearly as bad. Another one of a brutal nature could be devastating for him, and not only put him out of football, but create a life-long condition which could be degenerative for the coming years. Years which he should be enjoying as a young man, getting married, having children, etc. Not that it WILL happen that way, but he's definitely of a higher risk of that than most.

I'd hate to think that the Detroit organization is more worried about getting their money out of Best and basically paying off the medical staff to clear him to play, but I have to wonder if there isn't some funny business going on. With all the recent focus on the impact of concussions on players in the long term, and for how long Best suffered from concussion like symptoms, is it possible the Lions are gambling with this kids life over money? I'd really hate to think so.

March 9th, 2012, 1:50 pm
3rd Round Selection

m2karateman wrote:
However, UKL, you are missing something. Stafford's injury history was not apparent in college. He didn't get hurt like that at Georgia. Best had a history, and everyone knew it. It was said that some teams took Best completely off their draft board because of that.

And besides, comparing a shoulder injury to multiple concusions is hardly a fair comparison. You can do surgery to repair the shoulder. Concussions get progressively worse. Their effects still aren't fully known, particularly long term effects. And it's already been proven that a person who suffers a concussion is more apt to suffer another, and another.

I agree - the chances that Best's been unlucky and that this won't be a recurring thing are significantly lower than they were for Stafford. Still, I think there's a chance and there's only one way we are going to find out ...

m2karateman wrote:
Saying that you want to give him a decent load and see if he can cut it in the NFL....I think the Lions HAVE done that, and he's shown he can't handle the pounding. The hit he took at Cal that gave him his most notorious concussion was brutal. However, the hits he's taken as a Lion that concussed him weren't nearly as bad. Another one of a brutal nature could be devastating for him, and not only put him out of football, but create a life-long condition which could be degenerative for the coming years. Years which he should be enjoying as a young man, getting married, having children, etc. Not that it WILL happen that way, but he's definitely of a higher risk of that than most.

If that's the case, he shouldn't play and should retire from football. There is no way I want to see the guy end up with a debilitating injury as a result of playing.

Getting 5 touches a game might reduce the chances he gets this kind of injury, but it could be one of those five that result in him having it. If the medical evidence suggests he's at a significantly higher risk than the average football player to have that kind of injury, his touches should be zero.

m2karateman wrote:
I'd hate to think that the Detroit organization is more worried about getting their money out of Best and basically paying off the medical staff to clear him to play, but I have to wonder if there isn't some funny business going on. With all the recent focus on the impact of concussions on players in the long term, and for how long Best suffered from concussion like symptoms, is it possible the Lions are gambling with this kids life over money? I'd really hate to think so.

Me too - that would be awful. But if he does retire, aren't his numbers cleared for cap purposes? So isn't the incentive for the Lions organisation to do this very small if not non-existant?

I equally hope that Best isn't gambling with his health over money - basically ignoring the risks and playing on because his pay check will be massively greater than any injury settlement he would receive from the NFL. I understood that part of the new CBA was to improve the injury settlement for players - the more that this is done, the better IMO.

I like Best, I never want to see an NFL player suffer a debilitating injury that could have been avoided. So please don't take anything I said in my first post as callous towards the risk of injury - I'm not. The way I see it, though, is the risks are either small enough for him to play football (I say small enough as every player, no matter how thick skulled, is at risk of concussion) - in which case I say play him as any other player. Or they are too big for him to play football - in which case, I think he should retire from the game (and be looked after financially by the game).

March 9th, 2012, 2:01 pm
Reply to topic   [ 49 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next