View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 23rd, 2014, 7:22 am

Reply to topic  [ 132 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
 rumor has it 
Team MVP

Post Re: rumor has it
allenslions wrote:
As I said a few weeks ago they loved josh norman.he is set for a private workout in allenpark in a few days.also on a side note cb brandon carr let it slip that he would love to play in front of his home town again.and as you know he is a flint native and former grandvalley state player.could be a nice inside tract for mayhew. :arrow: :arrow:

That wouldnt be bad, and I bet that would be at a pretty reasonable price too.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

March 14th, 2012, 7:38 am
5th Round Pick - Traded

kdsberman wrote:
allenslions wrote:
As I said a few weeks ago they loved josh norman.he is set for a private workout in allenpark in a few days.also on a side note cb brandon carr let it slip that he would love to play in front of his home town again.and as you know he is a flint native and former grandvalley state player.could be a nice inside tract for mayhew. :arrow: :arrow:

That wouldnt be bad, and I bet that would be at a pretty reasonable price too.

Maybe that's why they let Wright get away. Had other players in mind.

March 14th, 2012, 8:42 am
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

I hope they didn't let Wright go to TB based solely on signing Carr as a replacement. Carr is in Dallas right now and they'll probably lock him in the building until he signs a contract. We'll see how that turns out soon enough. Richard Marshall and Tracy Porter are both still out there, I think.

Regarding the trade proposal allenslions mentioned, that kind of deal rarely happens before draft day. The Rams are probably shopping their two 2nd round picks with the hope of landing a particular player in round 1. They probably won't pull the trigger on that deal unless they know for sure that their target will be available--in other words, if the Lions make this deal, we probably won't know about it until the Lions are on the clock.

I'm surprised, by the way, that the Redskins traded up to #2 overall this early. What if the player they want suffers a serious injury between now and the draft? I know they were racing with Cleveland to make a deal but the move was risky. They did the same thing a few years ago with Jason Campbell--they traded up into the first round long before the draft and everyone knew they were targeting Campbell. What if someone had traded up one spot ahead of them to grab Campbell? Risky.

March 14th, 2012, 11:56 am
RIP Killer

Getting back on track, I agree with the notion that I wouldn't do a deal until the draft to see who falls to us. I wouldn't want the Lions to pass on possibly getting a top notch player, in favor of two lesser players.

I also think the Lions would have to give up their current third round pick, at worst, to make the deal happen. So the Lions would get the 33 and 39 picks in exchange for the 23 and 86 picks.

If St. Louis offers the two second rounders straight up for the #23, it would be highway robbery on Mayhews part. I can't imagine another team wouldn't jump at that chance..particularly the Bengals or Browns, who will have already made picks in the first round by the time they get to #21 and #22 respectively.

Also, I think Chicago would be willing to make that deal, since they already got their top receiver in a trade, and would probably like to move back and get a pick back in their hands.

March 14th, 2012, 11:57 am
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

Quote:
I think its in there best interest .they could have there pick of sttarting quality corners.chase minnifield would be my choice.then bobbie massie who I feel could start at either tackle position and doug martin who I compare to emmitt smith.we need to get tulloch resigned by releasing cory williams or trading him fo a late round pick.then offer brandon Carr 6 million a year with the 9 mill we just cleared.I also think we could save another 5 mill cutting hanson and bringing back dave rayner who we could pick up cheap.I also think they could pick up glen dorsey cheap when he gets cut. The lions need to be harsh this coffseason and not hold onto aging big money players

i feel like cutting corey williams is a bad idea. he plays at a high level and in some ways is better than suh ie beating double teams. i feel like sammie lee hill made strides but while i love fairley's talent i hate his foot injury and think it will recur. so if you lose hill u run a high chance of having only suh and hill at DT - we know they love the idea of having interchangeable parts and keeping guys fresh on that line. i highly doubt corey williams is heading anywhere unless we draft another high DT.

also i have a hard time seeing carr sign for less than what eric wright just got. i might be wrong but wright played at a high level early in the year and then really got rattled and abused later in the season. carr to me seems like a more consistent player week in and out but if we are able to draft a corner high that at least saves us on having to overpay to keep houston a year from now.

i dont like the idea of downgrading at kicker, it might be smart to save the money but i think thats a big drop off. if anything we need to upgrade the special teams - KR/PR and Punter. Downgrading at kicker just adds to the special teams weakness we had last season.

March 14th, 2012, 5:26 pm
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

Wait and see. I do not think it is unreasonable to think a player like Jon Martin could fall to us.

March 14th, 2012, 8:07 pm
Hall of Fame Player

allenslions wrote:

Must have been a very short inside track. He signed with Dallas.

March 14th, 2012, 11:42 pm
Varsity Captain

Hey money talks.I think ttherre being a little to lax in there aproach.

March 15th, 2012, 4:26 am
Rookie Player of the Year

allenslions wrote:

Seems like with the exception of Nate and KVB, when they had to improve the team quickly and bring in veteran leadership, they're taking the GB/Ted Thompson approach. I'm cool with it.

March 15th, 2012, 9:49 am
RIP Killer

allenslions wrote:

I'm sorry, but gonna have to disagree this time. What Eric Wright got paid, Cortland Finnegan got paid and Brandon Carr just got paid is way too much, if you ask me. I think the Lions are waiting until the initial feeding frenzy dies down, and the agents and players begin to come back down to Earth.

I am all for getting a quality CB on the team, but not at the cost of allowing some of our other players to walk and cash strapping us so that we can't sign other players. Due diligence can pay big dividends. Even now, as teams are signing high priced free agents, they are releasing others to remain below the cap. And there are some pretty decent players getting released, looking for a new home.

March 15th, 2012, 11:36 am
5th Round Pick - Traded

Seems to me, this is just typical Mayhew. Patience, then sign primarily second or third tier FA's to fill the holes, and build thru the draft. That's the smart play i.e. Steelers, Patriots, Packers. I would be all in favor of signing a top tier FA if we were closer to achieving a championship.

March 15th, 2012, 11:51 am
All State

Gonna agree with M2 and Liontrax here. Spending that much on Finnegan, Wright, or Carr would have been foolish. That being said I hope they have Porter or Aaron Ross on the radar now because Marshall is gone too. Who knows though, they might have a Houston or Wright guy in mind that is still out there. Someone with tangible skill and athleticism that was a solid college player but regressed a bit recently and it drops their preceived value. Hell, Wright was getting death threats from fans in 2010 and now he's cashing in? I'll be concerned if we don't land Porter or Ross but I trust Mayhew still.

March 15th, 2012, 1:17 pm
RIP Killer

The Legend wrote:
Quote:
I think its in there best interest .they could have there pick of sttarting quality corners.chase minnifield would be my choice.then bobbie massie who I feel could start at either tackle position and doug martin who I compare to emmitt smith.we need to get tulloch resigned by releasing cory williams or trading him fo a late round pick.then offer brandon Carr 6 million a year with the 9 mill we just cleared.I also think we could save another 5 mill cutting hanson and bringing back dave rayner who we could pick up cheap.I also think they could pick up glen dorsey cheap when he gets cut. The lions need to be harsh this coffseason and not hold onto aging big money players

i feel like cutting corey williams is a bad idea. he plays at a high level and in some ways is better than suh ie beating double teams. i feel like sammie lee hill made strides but while i love fairley's talent i hate his foot injury and think it will recur. so if you lose hill u run a high chance of having only suh and hill at DT - we know they love the idea of having interchangeable parts and keeping guys fresh on that line. i highly doubt corey williams is heading anywhere unless we draft another high DT.

Fact is, Corey Williams wasn't as effective as Sammie Lee Hill last season. I like Corey, and I don't mind the Lions retaining him. However, he's not worth a $6M contract for the season. He should be willing to renegotiate that down, or take a walk. The Lions shouldn't have that much money tied into the DT position. With Suh and Fairley being well paid, it is time to lower his cap number. If Cory wants to stay, he'll do it. Not necessarily take a pay cut, but at least do some restructuring to lower his hit for the cap. With Fairley, Suh and Hill we have three guys that other teams would love to have in their ranks. Williams is icing on the cake, but not necessary at that cost. Just my opinion.

March 15th, 2012, 5:51 pm
Team MVP

m2karateman wrote:
The Legend wrote:
Quote:

Fact is, Corey Williams wasn't as effective as Sammie Lee Hill last season. I like Corey, and I don't mind the Lions retaining him. However, he's not worth a $6M contract for the season. He should be willing to renegotiate that down, or take a walk. The Lions shouldn't have that much money tied into the DT position. With Suh and Fairley being well paid, it is time to lower his cap number. If Cory wants to stay, he'll do it. Not necessarily take a pay cut, but at least do some restructuring to lower his hit for the cap. With Fairley, Suh and Hill we have three guys that other teams would love to have in their ranks. Williams is icing on the cake, but not necessary at that cost. Just my opinion.

I agree. I think its great having Cory Williams on the team, but $6 million is a good chunk of money for this year.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

March 15th, 2012, 6:06 pm
Varsity Captain

Looks like landry will be offered a contract when he shows up to allenpark.also if mcneil passes his exam with our med staff look for him to get a 1 year offer to prove he can stay healthy.its a risk but if he does its a huge upgrade.also the lions are now looking hard at cb kirpatrickk with him kinda falling a bit.and with major players ahhead of us in thee draft getting them in freeagency.the draft is gettig interesting.also gilmore who I thought was much smoother in the drills then kirpatrick is climing pretty quick.no matter how they fall its about an 80% chance they go corner with there first pick followed with a running back.also the lions are r gonna wait out tulloch like last year.he didn't get tthe big offer last year and he won't this year.because he is a good mlber he doesn't wow people.

March 15th, 2012, 11:02 pm
Reply to topic   [ 132 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next