View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 16th, 2014, 1:29 pm

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Cortland Finnegan 
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Post Re: Cortland Finnegan
Footsoldier32 wrote:
F. I have to believe that if we can get Calvin's contract restructured that Finnegan will be a target. I'd rather get a corner in the draft and let someone else overpay Finnegan.

+1

NEVER GIVE UP!

March 2nd, 2012, 3:27 pm
Footsoldier32 wrote:
F. I have to believe that if we can get Calvin's contract restructured that Finnegan will be a target. I'd rather get a corner in the draft and let someone else overpay Finnegan.

I'd rather get tracy porter, save a first round draft pick, and steal a player from a rival.

March 2nd, 2012, 5:02 pm

wjb21ndtown wrote:
Footsoldier32 wrote:

I'd rather get tracy porter, save a first round draft pick, and steal a player from a rival.

I don't really care for either of these little munchkins.

March 3rd, 2012, 6:36 pm
Color Commentator - John Madden

profootballtalk.com wrote:
Rams do five-year, $50 million deal with Cortland Finnegan
Posted by Evan Silva on March 13, 2012, 9:59 PM EDT

FOX Sports’ Alex Marvez reports that the St. Louis Rams “have a deal in place” with cornerback Cortland Finnegan worth roughly $50 million over five years. It sounds like Finnegan will sign the contract, officially, during his Friday visit to Rams headquarters.

One of the most versatile cornerbacks in football, Finnegan played right corner in Tennessee’s base defense and kicked inside to cover the slot in the nickel. Though not blessed with prototypical size — Finnegan is generously listed at 5-foot-10, 188 — he is a physical defensive back with playmaking ability.

He’s piled up 14 interceptions, three forced fumbles, and six sacks over his first six NFL seasons.

Finnegan, who turned 28 in February, will quickly assume No. 1 cornerback duties in St. Louis based on his fat paycheck and knowledge of Jeff Fisher’s schemes.

Finnegan was the No. 1 cornerback on PFT’s Hot 100 Free Agency list.

Next up is Brandon Carr, who was in Dallas on Tuesday night visiting the Cowboys.

March 13th, 2012, 10:09 pm

I'll bet im not the only 1 who just breathed a sigh of relief. Never been a Finnegan fan, especially with his attitude. Don't think he is nearly as good as that money says either. Extremely glad hes not even on our radar anymore.

March 13th, 2012, 10:28 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Mr. Irrelevant

DJ-B wrote:
I'll bet im not the only 1 who just breathed a sigh of relief. Never been a Finnegan fan, especially with his attitude. Don't think he is nearly as good as that money says either. Extremely glad hes not even on our radar anymore.

That is correct, sir.

March 13th, 2012, 11:39 pm
Hall of Fame Player

Footsoldier32 wrote:
DJ-B wrote:

That is correct, sir.

+ 1.

It's hard to be excited about a 5'9" CB.

March 14th, 2012, 6:02 am
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

LionFan57 wrote:
Footsoldier32 wrote:
DJ-B wrote:

That is correct, sir.

+ 1.

It's hard to be excited about a 5'9" CB.

+2

Also hard to be excited about a CB who is pretty much an a**hole. Glad we didn't overpay for him.

March 14th, 2012, 11:40 am
Hall of Fame Player

BillySims wrote:
I would like to see the Lions sign Finnegan. But, I don't think it will happen. The Rams have more cap space than the Lions. And Jeff Fisher is gonna want a familiar face to set the tone for the Rams new defense. Just like Schwartz did with KVB.

I called this one back on Feb 17. It was just soooooooo obvious.

March 14th, 2012, 11:46 pm

BillySims wrote:
BillySims wrote:
I would like to see the Lions sign Finnegan. But, I don't think it will happen. The Rams have more cap space than the Lions. And Jeff Fisher is gonna want a familiar face to set the tone for the Rams new defense. Just like Schwartz did with KVB.

Nicely played

March 15th, 2012, 12:28 am
BillySims wrote:
BillySims wrote:

Nice job Billy... Those Tenn boys sure seem to stick together.

I wish we could land Porter or Ross, get Tulloch re-signed, and get Avril traded...

March 19th, 2012, 12:09 pm
Hall of Fame Player

wjb21ndtown wrote:
BillySims wrote:
BillySims wrote:

I wish we could land Porter or Ross, get Tulloch re-signed, and get Avril traded...

Just curious. Did Cliff Avril Rape your wife and molest your children or something? You are hell bent to get him a bus ticket out of town.

Yes, he will make a lot of cash on the Franchise tag. But, just because the Lions tagged him does not mean that they can't continue to work on a long term deal that is cap friendly for the next 2 years.

And if a 2nd round rookie can produce 11.5 sacks, then why couldn't KVB? He is far better than anything your going to find in the 2nd round.

Simple fact is that Avril is the guy that got 11.5 sacks by his effort. He still had to beat his guy(s) and the QB's didn't give any Favre gift wrapped sacks to him. I don't care what you argue back with. You cannot say that a rookie is going to give you 10+ sacks. The History of rookie D-linemen belies your claim. Maybe 1 out of every hundred rookie D-linemen will get you 10+ sacks.

March 20th, 2012, 5:34 pm
RIP Killer

BillySims wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
BillySims wrote:
BillySims wrote:

Just curious. Did Cliff Avril Rape your wife and molest your children or something? You are hell bent to get him a bus ticket out of town.

Yes, he will make a lot of cash on the Franchise tag. But, just because the Lions tagged him does not mean that they can't continue to work on a long term deal that is cap friendly for the next 2 years.

And if a 2nd round rookie can produce 11.5 sacks, then why couldn't KVB? He is far better than anything your going to find in the 2nd round.

Simple fact is that Avril is the guy that got 11.5 sacks by his effort. He still had to beat his guy(s) and the QB's didn't give any Favre gift wrapped sacks to him. I don't care what you argue back with. You cannot say that a rookie is going to give you 10+ sacks. The History of rookie D-linemen belies your claim. Maybe 1 out of every hundred rookie D-linemen will get you 10+ sacks.

Yes, Avril got his 11.5 sacks by his effort, and he deserves to be paid FAIRLY as a result. But let's face facts here Billy. He didn't do all that well until just last season, and now he wants a lucrative long term deal. My understanding is that the two sides aren't even close, and the Lions basically walked away from the table. That tells me something about his contract demands. He is scheduled to be paid 10.6 million this season on the tag. Do you think he deserves that much? I personally don't. I'd cap him out at about $8.5M per season over five years. So if the Lions are offering him $42.5M over a five year deal, with about $20M to $25M guaranteed, he should sign the damn contract. I like Avril, and don't necessarily want to see him traded. But I don't think that if the Lions trade him away we'll see that much drop off from Willie Young. He isn't as stout against the run, but in the Wide 9 technique, he doesn't have to be.

And KVB faced the left tackle all season. You know, the BETTER tackles on each team. The better PASS BLOCKING tackles on each team. That probably has something to do with the fact that KVB didn't quite get as many sacks as Avril. That, and the fact that KVB is older. But then again, KVB isn't asking for nearly a million per sack on a new contract is he? And he's not making that demand after just ONE good season.

March 20th, 2012, 9:37 pm
Hall of Fame Player

m2karateman wrote:
BillySims wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
BillySims wrote:
BillySims wrote:

Yes, Avril got his 11.5 sacks by his effort, and he deserves to be paid FAIRLY as a result. But let's face facts here Billy. He didn't do all that well until just last season, and now he wants a lucrative long term deal. My understanding is that the two sides aren't even close, and the Lions basically walked away from the table. That tells me something about his contract demands. He is scheduled to be paid 10.6 million this season on the tag. Do you think he deserves that much? I personally don't. I'd cap him out at about $8.5M per season over five years. So if the Lions are offering him $42.5M over a five year deal, with about $20M to $25M guaranteed, he should sign the damn contract. I like Avril, and don't necessarily want to see him traded. But I don't think that if the Lions trade him away we'll see that much drop off from Willie Young. He isn't as stout against the run, but in the Wide 9 technique, he doesn't have to be.

And KVB faced the left tackle all season. You know, the BETTER tackles on each team. The better PASS BLOCKING tackles on each team. That probably has something to do with the fact that KVB didn't quite get as many sacks as Avril. That, and the fact that KVB is older. But then again, KVB isn't asking for nearly a million per sack on a new contract is he? And he's not making that demand after just ONE good season.

I don't disagree about how much we all want him to be paid. But, I am also not in any hurry to drive him out of town either. I think Mayhew is taking the right approach and having patience. Reality will sink in with Avril and he will eventually agree to terms with the Lions on a reasonable contract. Too many people are impatient and just want to run him out of town at the drop of a hat. While he has only had 1 awesome season, the signs of growth as a DE were there from his 1st year to his 2nd year and on to his 3rd year. He was progressing well before we got the rest of our current D-line. And just how is it that he is the benefactor of us having Suh and the rest of the D-line. But, he never gets credit that, maybe, he was part of the reason Suh had such a phenomenal rookie season?

March 20th, 2012, 9:55 pm
RIP Killer

BillySims wrote:

I don't disagree about how much we all want him to be paid. But, I am also not in any hurry to drive him out of town either. I think Mayhew is taking the right approach and having patience. Reality will sink in with Avril and he will eventually agree to terms with the Lions on a reasonable contract. Too many people are impatient and just want to run him out of town at the drop of a hat. While he has only had 1 awesome season, the signs of growth as a DE were there from his 1st year to his 2nd year and on to his 3rd year. He was progressing well before we got the rest of our current D-line. And just how is it that he is the benefactor of us having Suh and the rest of the D-line. But, he never gets credit that, maybe, he was part of the reason Suh had such a phenomenal rookie season?

Well, in my case I would want him to be traded (if they can't come to terms) before the draft, so that we know exactly what we are getting in return, and we can possibly draft his replacement. In the one article posted recently on here, the statement is made that Avril is looking for "Charles Johnson" money (6 years, $72M with $30M guaranteed). No way. No freakin' way. I don't care if the Panthers over paid, or that Avril did better than Johnson last season. The Lions can't afford it, and he must come to accept that. If he wants that kind of money, and is worth it, why hasn't any other team come to him with an offer sheet? Because he simply is not worth that much coin.

March 20th, 2012, 10:05 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next