View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 2nd, 2014, 4:39 am

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Washington & Dallas LOSE Cap Space! (Must Read) 
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Post Re: Washington & Dallas LOSE Cap Space! (Must Read)
Here's an example of what these teams were up to:

Quote:
Cowboys take full advantage of the uncapped year
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... pped-year/
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on September 11, 2010, 12:10 AM EDT
After an offseason in which many teams used the management-friendly rules of the uncapped year to restrict spending, the Dallas Cowboys quietly have taken full advantage of the absence of a spending limit in 2010 to give lots of money to the team’s players.

As reported by the Fort Worth Star-Telegram, receiver Miles Austin’s 2010 base salary has been increased to $17 million as part of his new contract.

The only problem with this approach is that it gives the Cowboys no protection against Austin deciding to hold out or retire in the future. A signing bonus in that amount would represent advance compensation for future services, and if he doesn’t provide those services much of the money would be recoverable. In Austin’s case, when he’s making only $1.5 million for the entire season in 2012, he’ll have no incentive (other than training-camp fines) to continue playing. With a base salary in 2011 of $8.5 million, Austin could simply decide, if he so chooses, to retire after the next two seasons with $25 million in his pockets — and no obligation to pay any of the money back if he calls it quits.

But the Cowboys are willing to take that risk, primarily since it gives the team a way to splurge on multiple players during what may be the only year without a salary cap. The Cowboys didn’t spend heavily on new free agents early in the offseason because past contracts pushed significant salary obligations into 2010. As we pointed out in March, the Cowboys had more than $153 million committed to the current year.

The move also implies that the team believes there’s a good chance a cap will return in the future. Otherwise, the Cowboys would have spread that money out in order to give Austin a greater incentive to keep playing.

March 13th, 2012, 3:26 pm
Hall of Fame Player

Pablo wrote:
Seems a bit harsh to me, I man what does the term "uncapped" mean? Also, every contract must be league approved - so the league approved these contracts and is now punishing teams for something they themselves approved. In addition, they are putting out these punishments the same day as FA begins - nice notice NFL.

Roger Goodell is ruining the NFL on multiple levels. Under his "leadership" it has become impossible to play defense without getting yourself fined into bankruptcy court.

And I can not understand how he could punish Dallas and Washington for doing what they did when the League "itself" approved the contracts. Goodell is a loose canon that is getting far too full of himself.

March 13th, 2012, 5:52 pm
RIP Killer

kdsberman wrote:
Can someone explain to me what an "uncapped" year is? Doesnt every year have a cap? I know..rookie question.

The Collective Bargaining Agreement is what essentially creates and controls the cap for the teams. It is based on various factors, mostly on revenue from TV contracts, merchandising, etc.

In the 2010 season, the NFL was not operating with a CBA in place, since it had expired. As such, it was considered an "uncapped" year, since the CBA was no longer in place to create said cap. As such, teams could sign a player to a "front loaded" contract, like the one given Miles Austin. It paid him an exhorbitant amount of money in that year, which is something Dallas would never have done if there was a salary cap in place. Most NFL contracts of that magnitude are "back loaded", since the cap limit rises each year due to the ever increasing popularity of the NFL, and increasing TV deals.

When the CBA was ratified by the players last season, a new cap formula was put in place. Teams now have to operate under that cap.

Hope that answers your question.

March 14th, 2012, 12:31 pm
Player of the Year - Defense

BillySims wrote:
Pablo wrote:
Seems a bit harsh to me, I man what does the term "uncapped" mean? Also, every contract must be league approved - so the league approved these contracts and is now punishing teams for something they themselves approved. In addition, they are putting out these punishments the same day as FA begins - nice notice NFL.

Roger Goodell is ruining the NFL on multiple levels. Under his "leadership" it has become impossible to play defense without getting yourself fined into bankruptcy court.

And I can not understand how he could punish Dallas and Washington for doing what they did when the League "itself" approved the contracts. Goodell is a loose canon that is getting far too full of himself.

This wasn't Goodell's call. The League and NFLPA were working together to get cap to 120.6 number. To reach that, the NFLPA got Washington and Dallas penalized for abusing the system and making those penalties shared among remaining teams. The contracts happened in 2010. They were able to look back and see exactly what they did and they abused it. NO and Oakland did it too, but to a far less degree, so they lose money but they just forfeited the right to their share.

Goodell has pushed the league in his own way, but this wasn't his actions alone. This is the process working, with both sides having their hands in it.

March 14th, 2012, 12:58 pm
Team MVP

Thanks M2.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

March 14th, 2012, 2:28 pm
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2