View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 23rd, 2014, 3:18 pm

Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Kandahar massacre 
Afghan Allstar

Post Re: Kandahar massacre
Murtyle wrote:
Blueskies wrote:
. I think they should institute a law that on the date of our 5th year at war government must implement the draft...

I don't think the draft is the answer. Too many social issues to deal with. I like what Israel does. Everyone out of High School serves 2 years minimum. After that if you want to stay, fine. If not, walk away and move on with your life.

March 14th, 2012, 2:05 pm
QB Coach

I have long thought that to be a viable option, mainly because its beneficial in both ways. Kids get a chance to mature through the normal process of military training, and they also get access to the GI Bill, for time served. This would be a tremendous start to many a misguided, unmotivated youth of today.

2 Chronicles 10:14, "if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land."

March 14th, 2012, 3:50 pm
RIP Killer

WarEr4Christ wrote:
I have long thought that to be a viable option, mainly because its beneficial in both ways. Kids get a chance to mature through the normal process of military training, and they also get access to the GI Bill, for time served. This would be a tremendous start to many a misguided, unmotivated youth of today.

And to all the well-guided, motivated youth? I guess we can throw individual freedom out the door and go to a mandatory draft? Are you cool with your daughter serving two years or does this just apply to boys? Do you really want to increase the size of gov't even more an ballon the deficit?

Israel is a small country completely surrounded by enemies of different religious in a volatile region . We are surrounded by the Atlantic, Pacific, Mexico and Canada - pretty tough to compare.

FYI - are we doing so well with our Military here that we want to expand it to all kids? I mean this soldier is from the Joint Base Lewis-McChord in Washington and just from that one base recently we have this freak who killed 16 civilians, Sgt. Brandon Barrett who was killed when firing at police in Salt Lake in full armor with his AR-15 rifle, the "kill team" accused of killing Afgans for sport, the dad who was water boarding his son, the solidier who put lighter fluid on his wifes legs and set her on fire, the 24-year-old who killed the Ranger at Mount Rainier National Park, and 12 suicides in the last year alone.

Again, this is just one base I'm talking about here (there have been some pretty horrible things going on in some bases here in Texas as well like the Fort Hood shooting spree). As for my two boys - no thank you!!!

March 14th, 2012, 4:04 pm
Profile WWW
Mr. Irrelevant

buell17 wrote:
Murtyle wrote:
Blueskies wrote:
. I think they should institute a law that on the date of our 5th year at war government must implement the draft...

I don't think the draft is the answer. Too many social issues to deal with. I like what Israel does. Everyone out of High School serves 2 years minimum. After that if you want to stay, fine. If not, walk away and move on with your life.

If anyone seriously threatened a draft, IMO, these wars would have been over a long time ago... Its like you have to remind people here that we are at war... That should never be... If there was a threat that people's own loved ones would have to go, they'd think long and hard about the the costs of war... Now it's just an afterthought and war that is an afterthought isn't one worth fighting...

I say keep the voluntary army... You get much better service men if people volunteer to go... But if these conflicts absolutely need to go on into perpetuity, it is time more Americans stepped up to the plate... I think if this was our policy, we would miraculously find that its not worth it to remain in conflict this long...

March 14th, 2012, 5:49 pm
QB Coach

Pablo: you raise some good points, and no I would not have a problem with my daughter going into the service, in fact, I would do my absolute best to ensure that she went into the best job listing possible for her abilities, and along the lines of her desires.

These horror stories that you mention could quite possibly be prevented by a number of different interventions. First of all, it's my understanding that Military Code of Ethics has changed since I ran around in boots and utes. Psych evals used to be a regular occurrence for special units, or units deployed to special areas, not sure if this is still the same.

As for the expansion of government, I would not mind to see it expanded in this way, instead of 30,000 IRS agents who are just waiting to throw my butt in Federal Prison because I refuse to purchase their mandatory, illegal healthcare system. I say ILLEGAL, because we were lied to from day one. It will now cost 1.7 TRILLION dollars, and was supposed be under a trillion. Illegal because it was not supposed to have funding for abortions by Presidential Mandate, but that was overturned in less than 6 mos. by Sebilis and the State of Pennsylvania. I say Illegal, because we were told by the most Ethical House Speaker that we are supposed to trust those appointed over us, and therefore vote for a 2700 page piece of legislation that no one knew what it included. Or how about the expansion of government, because there are now MILLIONS of people on welfare, because our President won't remove restrictions that will jump start the economy, open up the richest supply of oil, UNDER SPECULATED to last for 60 years at current consumption, but actual numbers are stating that what we have with current levels of technology will allow us to operate at CURRENT CONSUMPTION levels, for the next 200 years. Hmmm, how much advancement in technology and energy can happen in that time, that can help us phase out fossil fuels, and quit funding terrorist funding governments?

Back on topic: Many of these troops suffer from PTSD, or TBI, stemming from time in service in country. There is NO easy answer for this, but there is treatment. In jumping back to the Healthscare Legislation, I want you to konw that having lived 8 years of my life as a government employee, I KNOW the middle of the road care that's received. I'm sure it's advanced and gotten better with the recent conflicts, but VA medical care was always substandard, especially when most of your doctors were FOREIGN nationals, doing their residency and getting their practice on American servicemen.

I double dog dare you to volunteer in Ft. Sam Houston's VA med. center and see how AWESOME the care is for these men who've given their bodies, minds, and sometimes spirit for the sake of this country. Battle Creek has a VA center that will scare you, or at least it used to the last time I was there. They were fully phsych, and had a lot of WWII and Vietnam Vets who'd lost it, and they were allowed free wandering. It was very disconcerting to be around some of these men, who couldn't help what they've become because of the things they've seen or had to do in the name of country.

I often question whether or not enough counseling is going on, and the counseling that I've taken part in is a complete JOKE! Actually sat in one class where I was instructed on how to develop a mantra, so that I could get in touch with my inner peace, and yadda yadda yadda. Made me mad enough to want to be violent on the instructor.

Anyway, I've given you enough ammo to chew on I think! And do me a favor and chekc your fb messages please!

2 Chronicles 10:14, "if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land."

March 14th, 2012, 7:20 pm
Rookie Player of the Year

Quote:
No one asked their names
By Qais Azimy in
Asia
on Mon, 2012-03-19 14:23.
Nine of the 16 victims were children [AFP]

In the days following the rogue US soldier’s shooting spree in Kandahar, most of the media, us included, focused on the “backlash” and how it might further strain the relations with the US.

Many mainstream media outlets channelled a significant amount of energy into uncovering the slightest detail about the accused soldier – now identified as Staff Sergeant Robert Bales. We even know where his wife wanted to go for vacation, or what she said on her personal blog.

But the victims became a footnote, an anonymous footnote. Just the number 16. No one bothered to ask their ages, their hobbies, their aspirations. Worst of all, no one bothered to ask their names.

In honoring their memory, I write their names below, and the little we know about them: that nine of them were children, three were women.

The dead:
Mohamed Dawood son of Abdullah
Khudaydad son of Mohamed Juma
Nazar Mohamed
Payendo
Robeena
Shatarina daughter of Sultan Mohamed
Zahra daughter of Abdul Hamid
Nazia daughter of Dost Mohamed
Masooma daughter of Mohamed Wazir
Farida daughter of Mohamed Wazir
Palwasha daughter of Mohamed Wazir