View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently July 28th, 2014, 12:21 am

Reply to topic  [ 132 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next
 rumor has it 
League MVP

Post Re: rumor has it
good points. as i understand it we are 13mill under, 4 mill of which needs to be saved for the incoming rookies. then we have the restricted free agents- are they already counted on the cap? lets assume yes, that leaves us at 9 million - ill take tulloch at ur 4.5 mill cap number so we re at 4.5 mill - i dont see how we could still add landry, mcneil, and ross (who will be somewhere bw eric wright and brandon carr's contract demands?)

March 17th, 2012, 6:24 pm
RIP Killer

The Legend wrote:
good points. as i understand it we are 13mill under, 4 mill of which needs to be saved for the incoming rookies. then we have the restricted free agents- are they already counted on the cap? lets assume yes, that leaves us at 9 million - ill take tulloch at ur 4.5 mill cap number so we re at 4.5 mill - i dont see how we could still add landry, mcneil, and ross (who will be somewhere bw eric wright and brandon carr's contract demands?)

Aside from signing Avril long term, the Lions still have some moves they can make to open up some cap space. They need to start talking to Cory Williams about lowering his cap number this season. I'm sure there are some other moves that can be made to open some space as well.

March 17th, 2012, 9:16 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

kdsberman wrote:
allenslions wrote:
Looks like mcneil passes his med exams and was offered a 1 year deal similar to tullochs last year.his agent is keeping on the table but will continue shopping for a longer term deal.like tulloch no one is gonna offer one.he will be a lion.mayhew is slick

Good news. Hopefully the Chiefs and Falcons dont offer him more.

Think McNeil wanted too much?

March 17th, 2012, 9:16 pm
Varsity Captain

Looks like they offered jeff the same deal and he jumped on it.also they were 21million under the cap before. Jeff resigned and hill reuped.it also pretty much a done deal for corner jacob lacey he should be signed pretty soon.now for my take on today.let's face it mayhew panicked when mcneil wanted to shop around for a better deal.they offered jeff the same deal and he jumped all over it cause he knew he was never gonna see starter money from anyone else.they just don't see jeff as a problem.I,m gonna give my buddy a call and see what happened.

March 17th, 2012, 10:36 pm
Bubbles the Lion

allenslions wrote:
Looks like they offered jeff the same deal and he jumped on it.also they were 21million under the cap before. Jeff resigned and hill reuped.it also pretty much a done deal for corner jacob lacey he should be signed pretty soon.now for my take on today.let's face it mayhew panicked when mcneil wanted to shop around for a better deal.they offered jeff the same deal and he jumped all over it cause he knew he was never gonna see starter money from anyone else.they just don't see jeff as a problem.I,m gonna give my buddy a call and see what happened.

Is McNeil really going to get more than 1 year from someone? I think teams will be crazy to give out even 2 years with his history. But whatever, I was always hoping for Backus to come back(at a little less than his deal) so I am happy.

I don't recognize the name Jacob Lacey. Any details you can give that I won't find on google in the next 5 minutes? Is he an Eric Wright type signing where he is coming here for a year to prove he can play?

March 18th, 2012, 12:56 am
Player of the Year - Defense

LioneeR wrote:
allenslions wrote:

Is McNeil really going to get more than 1 year from someone? I think teams will be crazy to give out even 2 years with his history. But whatever, I was always hoping for Backus to come back(at a little less than his deal) so I am happy.

I don't recognize the name Jacob Lacey. Any details you can give that I won't find on google in the next 5 minutes? Is he an Eric Wright type signing where he is coming here for a year to prove he can play?

With McNeil's spinal issues, his injuries only going to get worse, so he's a high risk signing. Rather go with the reliability of Backus compared to the possibility that McNeil remains healthy. I'd rather they put more money into the right side of the line, so hopefully Schwartz is picked up to replace Gos, then draft a G/C.

Lacey had a horrible first half, then decent second half of the season, so yeah would be a temporary filler until they signed someone else or if they draft a corner #1 to start.

March 18th, 2012, 2:09 am
League MVP

Quote:
Aside from signing Avril long term, the Lions still have some moves they can make to open up some cap space. They need to start talking to Cory Williams about lowering his cap number this season. I'm sure there are some other moves that can be made to open some space as well.

i doubt they would lower corey's contract. he s a better player than backus and only getting paid a lil more. i dont see them asking him to take less and i dont see him accepting that. there depth at DT is nice on paper but fairley wont be more than a 20 play player bc of his foot injuries - they cant project him as a starter and thus need williams.

March 18th, 2012, 7:34 am
Team MVP

The Legend wrote:
Quote:

i doubt they would lower corey's contract. he s a better player than backus and only getting paid a lil more. i dont see them asking him to take less and i dont see him accepting that. there depth at DT is nice on paper but fairley wont be more than a 20 play player bc of his foot injuries - they cant project him as a starter and thus need williams.

Hey Legend, we must be the only crazy ones to lurk around here at this time in the morning lol...im just getting off midnights myself.

Anyway...my only comment is they better get Avril going long term if they want to make any more moves this year.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

March 18th, 2012, 7:37 am
5th Round Pick - Traded

Why not pay Avril the one year franchise tag money to see if he can duplicate last years performance?

March 18th, 2012, 9:27 am
Varsity Captain

If we pay Avril what, $10mil, that would stop us from signing at least 1 upper tier FA or even two good ones.

I'm sure Mayhew knows this but damn, the man's has more patence than I ever will.

March 18th, 2012, 10:33 am
RIP Killer

The Legend wrote:
Quote:

First off, we have two highly paid DTs that will see more playing time in 2012 than Williams. Backus, like him or not, has not missed a game in his career, and rarely misses a single offensive snap. We are paying Williams $6M per year to be a rotational player. And I'm sorry, but Cory just wasn't that effective last season. Teams focused on Suh, and Williams didn't pick up the slack at all. Not one iota. There were times he was being taken completely out of the play by a single blocker. That isn't what he's being paid for. If the Lions were to release Cory Williams today, do you think another team will pay him $6M per season? I don't. Particularly since he proved he can't play the 5 technique for a team running a 34, and isn't a threat as an interior pass rusher for the 43. He is limited in his scope of play. Sammie Lee Hill is a better all around DT than Cory Williams. He needs to reduce his cap number.

March 18th, 2012, 11:56 am
Team MVP

m2karateman wrote:
The Legend wrote:
Quote:

First off, we have two highly paid DTs that will see more playing time in 2012 than Williams. Backus, like him or not, has not missed a game in his career, and rarely misses a single offensive snap. We are paying Williams $6M per year to be a rotational player. And I'm sorry, but Cory just wasn't that effective last season. Teams focused on Suh, and Williams didn't pick up the slack at all. Not one iota. There were times he was being taken completely out of the play by a single blocker. That isn't what he's being paid for. If the Lions were to release Cory Williams today, do you think another team will pay him $6M per season? I don't. Particularly since he proved he can't play the 5 technique for a team running a 34, and isn't a threat as an interior pass rusher for the 43. He is limited in his scope of play. Sammie Lee Hill is a better all around DT than Cory Williams. He needs to reduce his cap number.

And younger..which is usually a good thing.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

March 18th, 2012, 2:34 pm
League MVP

Quote:

hmmm fairley is on a 4 yr/10 mill deal - i dont consider that highly paid. further nobody wants to talk about the reality that his foot injury is going to be a chronic problem - he ll be a great player in spurts but push him past 20-25 plays consistently and that 5th metatarsal will break again and again. as for williams and hill - you cannot be serious. i like hill, he is a hard working tough player but he doesnt have the lateral agility, quickness, and athleticism that williams has and is nowhere near as good using his hands or reading blocks. 2011 was a big season for him but i doubt he will EVER be as good as Williams has been the past two seasons. finally when williams was traded to detroit his contract was essentially restructured to 3 yrs/12.5 mill (2.7/4.9/4.9) and i dont believe his signing bonus money counts against detroit as cleveland is the team that gave it to him. if williams were to leave i could see another team giving him a 3 yr/12 mill deal with a 4 mill signing bonus and 2/3/3 which would be more than the 4.9 mill he ll make this year in detroit so yes i do think he could make more on the market.

ur comments on backus - i wasnt dissing backus. im well aware of the iron man streak but im also well aware of the fact that he s ruptured two tendons in the past year. that in no way is a good sign that the streak is going to make it 32 more games and im sure mayhew knows that - its clear to me mayhew wants this team to keep its veterans and its leadership until the younger guys show a little more maturity. KVB/Corey/Backus/Raiola/Burleson fit that profile.

finally on the age issue - i think its only relevant if you look at the age and the end of the contract. if the player looks like he s going to be washed up when ur paying him a lot then age is relevant. corey will be in his contract year at age 32 - thats something im comfortable with. age wont be an issue with him unless we plan on extending him more than 2 years. as for fairley and hill being younger. its true but i wonder how relevant it is. lets say hill plays great on his RFA tender contract this season - then all of a sudden he s an Unrestricted FA and you have to decide if ur going to overpay to keep him or let him walk. Hill and Williams both only have a year left, the age isnt really relevant until it comes time to make a decision on if you will bring them back and for how long. both should be productive in the time left on there contracts.

March 18th, 2012, 9:37 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

The Legend wrote:
Quote:

hmmm fairley is on a 4 yr/10 mill deal - i dont consider that highly paid. further nobody wants to talk about the reality that his foot injury is going to be a chronic problem - he ll be a great player in spurts but push him past 20-25 plays consistently and that 5th metatarsal will break again and again. as for williams and hill - you cannot be serious. i like hill, he is a hard working tough player but he doesnt have the lateral agility, quickness, and athleticism that williams has and is nowhere near as good using his hands or reading blocks. 2011 was a big season for him but i doubt he will EVER be as good as Williams has been the past two seasons. finally when williams was traded to detroit his contract was essentially restructured to 3 yrs/12.5 mill (2.7/4.9/4.9) and i dont believe his signing bonus money counts against detroit as cleveland is the team that gave it to him. if williams were to leave i could see another team giving him a 3 yr/12 mill deal with a 4 mill signing bonus and 2/3/3 which would be more than the 4.9 mill he ll make this year in detroit so yes i do think he could make more on the market.

ur comments on backus - i wasnt dissing backus. im well aware of the iron man streak but im also well aware of the fact that he s ruptured two tendons in the past year. that in no way is a good sign that the streak is going to make it 32 more games and im sure mayhew knows that - its clear to me mayhew wants this team to keep its veterans and its leadership until the younger guys show a little more maturity. KVB/Corey/Backus/Raiola/Burleson fit that profile.

finally on the age issue - i think its only relevant if you look at the age and the end of the contract. if the player looks like he s going to be washed up when ur paying him a lot then age is relevant. corey will be in his contract year at age 32 - thats something im comfortable with. age wont be an issue with him unless we plan on extending him more than 2 years. as for fairley and hill being younger. its true but i wonder how relevant it is. lets say hill plays great on his RFA tender contract this season - then all of a sudden he s an Unrestricted FA and you have to decide if ur going to overpay to keep him or let him walk. Hill and Williams both only have a year left, the age isnt really relevant until it comes time to make a decision on if you will bring them back and for how long. both should be productive in the time left on there contracts.

I'm all for getting younger and building through the draft, but IMO it's possible to overdo it. All these people calling for the heads of Burleson, KVB, and C Williams are overlooking Tampa Bay last season. They were supposedly the 'youngriest' team around, but as soon as they hit a rough spot, their season entered a death spiral--I'd argue it's because they didn't have the right veteran leadership.

March 18th, 2012, 9:49 pm
Team MVP

thelomasbrowns wrote:
The Legend wrote:
Quote:

I'm all for getting younger and building through the draft, but IMO it's possible to overdo it. All these people calling for the heads of Burleson, KVB, and C Williams are overlooking Tampa Bay last season. They were supposedly the 'youngriest' team around, but as soon as they hit a rough spot, their season entered a death spiral--I'd argue it's because they didn't have the right veteran leadership.

I'd blame their horrible coach more than anything.

March 18th, 2012, 11:09 pm
Reply to topic   [ 132 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next