View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 1st, 2014, 3:50 am

Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Jahvid Best gets OK to work out 
Post Re: Jahvid Best gets OK to work out
I really don't think there's anything left to "find out" concerning Best's ability to play a significant role in our running game. Whether or not he can be a good slot receiver, or receiver out of the backfield, or whether or not he can have a dual role carrying the ball a handful of times and being thrown to a handful of times, IMO is all that's left in the realm of possibility for him to have an NFL career.

Another main difference between Best and Stafford, is that Stafford has proven that he has the toughness to play through injuries, and Stafford can be effective while injured. The same isn't true for Best.

He is what he is. We don't need to "see" more to know that he's not going to be a productive reliable runner for us, ever. If he can have a limited role this year and be effective, great. If not, part ways. It's as simple as that.

March 9th, 2012, 2:10 pm
RIP Killer

UK Lion wrote:
I like Best, I never want to see an NFL player suffer a debilitating injury that could have been avoided. So please don't take anything I said in my first post as callous towards the risk of injury - I'm not. The way I see it, though, is the risks are either small enough for him to play football (I say small enough as every player, no matter how thick skulled, is at risk of concussion) - in which case I say play him as any other player. Or they are too big for him to play football - in which case, I think he should retire from the game (and be looked after financially by the game).

Never crossed my mind, UK. You are a class act on this forum. I know better than to believe you would be that heartless.

March 9th, 2012, 11:22 pm
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

Best is not going to be cut. As wjb alluded to earlier, it would cost the Lions more in cap space to release him than it would to keep him. Of course, they could designate him as a June 1st cut and delay the pain until next year, but I don't see that happening either. While I never liked the Lions picking him because of his injury history (which has proven to be legitimate), Best has demonstrated that he is a threat. I'd personally like to see Leshoure become the primary back (assuming that he's healthy) with Best being used as a change of pace back next season.

March 10th, 2012, 11:17 pm
Hall of Fame Player

slybri19 wrote:
Best is not going to be cut. As wjb alluded to earlier, it would cost the Lions more in cap space to release him than it would to keep him. Of course, they could designate him as a June 1st cut and delay the pain until next year, but I don't see that happening either. While I never liked the Lions picking him because of his injury history (which has proven to be legitimate), Best has demonstrated that he is a threat. I'd personally like to see Leshoure become the primary back (assuming that he's healthy) with Best being used as a change of pace back next season.

Agreed!

March 11th, 2012, 10:32 pm
Profile WWW
5th Round Pick - Traded

Best hasn't proven all that effective. Yeah, he is a threat because of his speed, but we don't have the type of offensive line that makes he a real worrisome threat. As for his injury prone condition, the jury is still out on that, but there is probably only one of two hold outs. Another concussion and he is done.

The jury is still out on Stafford also. He has had one year and while the numbers are impressive, I wasn't nearly as impressed with Stafford himself. Personally, I believe this team is more CJ's than Stafford's. We lack a running game. If CJ goes down for any length of time I think Stafford is going to look like Culpepper post-Moss.

Right now my main hope is Mayhew drafts an offensive lineman and LeShoure pans out. Drafting a MLB would be nice, too.

March 12th, 2012, 10:52 am
RIP Killer

Jafo wrote:
The jury is still out on Stafford also. He has had one year and while the numbers are impressive, I wasn't nearly as impressed with Stafford himself. Personally, I believe this team is more CJ's than Stafford's. We lack a running game. If CJ goes down for any length of time I think Stafford is going to look like Culpepper post-Moss.

Wow, that is a little bit harsh. CJ may be the most talented player on the team, but the offense belongs to Stafford. He is the leader, despite his age (just turned 24). The kid has shown he has the leadership, arm and moxie to lead this team.

If any team lost CJ it would be a huge blow, but Staff spreads the ball around well enough.

But how do you call this team CJ's?

March 12th, 2012, 11:42 am
Profile WWW
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Jafo wrote:
Best hasn't proven all that effective. Yeah, he is a threat because of his speed, but we don't have the type of offensive line that makes he a real worrisome threat. As for his injury prone condition, the jury is still out on that, but there is probably only one of two hold outs. Another concussion and he is done.

Right now my main hope is Mayhew drafts an offensive lineman and LeShoure pans out. Drafting a MLB would be nice, too.

You know we did have Culpepper here with CJ right? You are a fool if you don't think this is Stafford's team. CJ had a career year but Pett, Titus, and Nate were all around the 700 yrd mark. The guy threw for 5000 yards and 41 TDs at 23 years of age.

March 12th, 2012, 3:31 pm
Hall of Fame Player

Jafo wrote:

#-o
WOW! I need a sedative.

March 12th, 2012, 6:07 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

LionFan57 wrote:
Jafo wrote:

#-o
WOW! I need a sedative.

I think you can get one from Jafo, because obviously he's on some pretty strong drugs.

Jafo, you're entitled to your opinion, but that's just ridiculous. He threw for over 5000 yards, but that didn't impress you? WTF does he have to do to impress you?

March 12th, 2012, 9:13 pm
Team MVP

m2karateman wrote:
LionFan57 wrote:
Jafo wrote:

#-o
WOW! I need a sedative.

I think you can get one from Jafo, because obviously he's on some pretty strong drugs.

Jafo, you're entitled to your opinion, but that's just ridiculous. He threw for over 5000 yards, but that didn't impress you? WTF does he have to do to impress you?

I've learned that no matter what milestones a Lions player or team achieves, to some people it just isnt good enough. I believe there is no jury on Stafford anymore. He has proved what kind of player he is. A 5000-yard, 41 TD season is no where near a fluke.

Give me a dang break. :roll:

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

March 12th, 2012, 9:45 pm

In Fairness he may have just meant that hes not sure Staff wont get injured again.

If he has any other issue with Staff, thats just insane.

5000yds and 41 TDs isnt just a good season, its 1 in the best in the History of the NFL..... From a 23year old..... Who Had only started what, 13 games before this last season.

Yeah...lol

March 13th, 2012, 10:32 pm
Profile ICQ WWW

Lets all just pretend Jafo was never born. jk

March 13th, 2012, 11:55 pm
Varsity Captain

Jafo has been listening to a tape of Marshall Faulk...lol

March 14th, 2012, 12:00 am
RIP Killer

DJ-B wrote:
In Fairness he may have just meant that hes not sure Staff wont get injured again.

If he has any other issue with Staff, thats just insane.

5000yds and 41 TDs isnt just a good season, its 1 in the best in the History of the NFL..... From a 23year old..... Who Had only started what, 13 games before this last season.

Yeah...lol

It's not what he said. He said he wasn't impressed with Stafford himself. No injury issues mentioned. As for the team being more CJ's than Stafford's, I won't debate that point. I personally don't think it's either of theirs. Calvin is the more recognized player, but is not a team spokesman. Stafford does more interviews, but hasn't been widely accepted as a "wow" type player yet. He doesn't command attention like Rodgers, Brees, or Peyton, or even Cam Newton. If he has another year in 2012 like he did this past season, I think then Stafford will be in high demand and people will see this as his team.

March 14th, 2012, 11:48 am
Pablo wrote:
Jafo wrote:

Wow, that is a little bit harsh. CJ may be the most talented player on the team, but the offense belongs to Stafford. He is the leader, despite his age (just turned 24). The kid has shown he has the leadership, arm and moxie to lead this team.

If any team lost CJ it would be a huge blow, but Staff spreads the ball around well enough.

But how do you call this team CJ's?

I have to agree. Everyone knows that I have been critical of Stafford, our drafting him, and our approach to team building when we took him, but I have given him his due plenty of times throughout last season and praised him this offseason. He did a great job last year. The number that impressed me the most from his was his accuracy. He's NEVER thrown for that kind of accuracy in his entire career, and that's always been my gripe with him. That said, with what he did with the rest of his receiving corps minus CJ is impressive enough to win me over. If Nate could actually get some separation, and Pett would stop dropping balls all over the place, his numbers would have been amazing.

Also, IMO Staff is a great field general. He motivates, doesn't cry about drops, congratulates and gets people going. CJ is more a Barry Sanders quiet type. I really don't see how anyone can say that this isn't Staff's offense.

March 19th, 2012, 12:18 pm
Reply to topic   [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next