View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently July 25th, 2014, 7:06 pm

Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 Colts to release Peyton Manning 
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Post Re: Colts to release Peyton Manning
Blueskies wrote:
If he was dead set on another ring, he would've went to SF. I think it's clear that there were other things on his mind.

Agreed--apparently future ownership of the team was in play with the Titans and that's one of the reasons negotiations broke down. He's probably looking to make enough money to buy a team down the line.

March 20th, 2012, 8:59 am
RIP Killer

To dis
m2karateman wrote:
Blueskies wrote:
Denver went further in the playoffs than the Lions did with one of the worst starting QBs in the league.

I think they way overacheived, and frankly were quite lucky, but they aren't a garbage team.

Manning is 36 years old, he already has a ring, he's one the best QBs in NFL history. If he was going to play again, he's going to be the head honcho on offense. I think John Elway understood this.

I understand what Denver did. But I also understand that they got there mostly on emotion, strangely enough from Tebow. Their roster is not real impressive, particularly on defense. I understand that a teams success can largely be tied to the quarterback play, but let's be quite frank here. Manning has been out of football for over a year. He may never be back to the player he was. He'll be playing in a cold weather environment late in the season, which isn't a great thing for his condition.

Demaryius Thomas is a good receiver, but certainly is not a Marvin Harrison or Reggie Wayne quality guy. Eric Decker was a pleasant surprise for them, but it remains to be seen if he can repeat that performance. They lost Eddie Royal, lost their best blocking TE, and if they trade Tebow, who the Hell is the backup to Manning if he gets hurt again?

Sorry, but this is a high risk, high cost proposition that may pay dividends for them. I understand the move, I truly do. And on the surface, one might say 'look how far they got with Tebow, imagine what they'll do with Manning'. But that entire offense has to learn the offense Manning wants to run, and that won't be a walk in the park.

When one looks at the involved teams; Miami, Tennessee, San Francisco, Denver and Seattle; can you honestly tell me that Denver was the best option for him to win a Super Bowl in the next couple seasons? I think it came down to the fact that Denver does have that much cap space, which means he gets as much money as he wants. And I also think it comes down to Elway allowing Manning full control over the offense and basically skewering the Denver OC right in the nuts.

In the end, those who said Manning was going to Denver were right. Congrats. But I'll go on record as saying that he never sniffs the SB again with them.

I think there are a number of factors at play but when it comes right down to it he felt the most comfortable in Denver. He likes Elway, he like the AFC, he likes the division they play in, he likes the coach, he likes the team, and he likes the money.

Now, you say San Fran gave him the best chance to win. Do you think he felt comfortable with Jim Harbaugh? Me thinks not. The guy has a serious ego and so does Manning. Would you want to finish your career with someone you clashed with every day? They are also in the NFC with Green Bay, New Orleans and a host of other talented teams including his brothers.

I could go through the same sort of ruling out process on each of the other teams you mentioned, but bottom line is that Denver felt like the best overall fit for Manning and at this point in his carrer who can argue with that?

March 20th, 2012, 10:18 am
Profile WWW
Varsity Captain

Great. Just great.

Manning was quoted in saying that he didn't want to feel pressured to win a Super Bowl as the reason he didn't choose SF. If that's the case, then good riddance, but I find that hard to believe. There is an under-lying motive, and control over the offense was probably it. Manning has a huge ego too, and he probably thinks he can win with anyone.... and hell, he might be right. Since Denver has money, they can make moves to help get talent. He didn't make a bad choice imo... not yet anyway.

But that means we gotta go with Alex Smith again. Smith is average, maybe above average with Harbaugh. We had one of the worst WR cores in the league and Smith put up decent numbers. That said, I'm sick of the Smith experiment and really wanted to see a new QB under center. Now it appears he's the only option. Then again, we were only a muffed punt away from a Super Bowl. So all is not lost.

PS- He won't go to Miami. He may not even start there (sad thought). He'd be one-and-done, and would be replaced with a rookie the following year. The 49ers know this, and will re-offer the same amount. If he wants to walk, they'll let him walk. The 49ers have a long history of offering a contract and not willing to pay a penny more. Harbaugh last year, for example, was offered more money to coach the Dolphins. His agent told the 49ers this, they said "take our offer or leave it", and he took it. They'll do the same again to Smith. He'll be a 49er. I'll just have to HOPE that he'll throw the ball with more confidence.

March 20th, 2012, 12:46 pm
Player of the Year - Defense

That organization has thrown him under the bus more times than I can count. And going after Manning after he didn't take the initial offer is a bigger shun than most want to acknowledge. He has the 9ers bent over a barrel. Who else are they going to get? They're going to have to pay top $ for Smith or he'll walk. That "no penny more" approach doesn't work when there's no one else out there.

March 20th, 2012, 1:16 pm
Modmin Dude

njroar wrote:
That organization has thrown him under the bus more times than I can count. And going after Manning after he didn't take the initial offer is a bigger shun than most want to acknowledge. He has the 9ers bent over a barrel. Who else are they going to get? They're going to have to pay top $ for Smith or he'll walk. That "no penny more" approach doesn't work when there's no one else out there.

Heh, maybe Harbaugh will come out of retirement..... :wink:

March 20th, 2012, 1:28 pm
RIP Killer

done deal, 5 years and $96M and he will get to wear #18 despite it having been retired.

March 20th, 2012, 2:33 pm
Profile WWW
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

If I were Manning, I would have selected Denver without question. They have a solid defense and of the finalists, Denver's coach is the most experienced (including Super Bowl experience). Miami is a complete mess and I agree that egos would have clashed in SF. I imagine Tennessee would have been my second choice but Denver offers a better chance of making the playoffs and winning a Super Bowl.

March 20th, 2012, 3:10 pm
Pablo wrote:
done deal, 5 years and $96M and he will get to wear #18 despite it having been retired.

Not too bad of a deal... He had to pass a ton of physicals to earn his roster bonuses, and to have his salary guaranteed.

March 20th, 2012, 3:33 pm
RIP Killer

mwill2 wrote:
If I were Manning, I would have selected Denver without question. They have a solid defense and of the finalists, Denver's coach is the most experienced (including Super Bowl experience). Miami is a complete mess and I agree that egos would have clashed in SF. I imagine Tennessee would have been my second choice but Denver offers a better chance of making the playoffs and winning a Super Bowl.

Speaking of Mr. Ego in SF - do you remember what rookie replaced him as the starter in Indy back in 1998? Do you think he harboured a little resentment after all these years? Chest bump that Jimbo!

March 20th, 2012, 4:05 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

mwill2 wrote:

Denver's defense is not solid. Not by a long shot. They have good defensive ends, but their defensive tackles are just ordinary, at best. Good linebackers, but their secondary is not looking too good. Champ isn't the player he once was. They have a couple good young safeties...but they are young and inexperienced. And who the Hell is starting opposite Champ? Still Andre Goodman? Both of those guys are well on the wrong side of 30, and their back ups are less than stellar.

I had heard that part of the issue was future considerations for Peyton as being part of the organization after he retires. Someone said something about ownership, but I have doubts about that. I definitely think it has to do with offensive control...control that Harbaugh likely would not have handed over so easily.

As for pressure to win a Super Bowl...you always hope your QB has that pressure coming from within.

March 20th, 2012, 10:20 pm
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

m2karateman wrote:
mwill2 wrote:

Denver's defense is not solid. Not by a long shot. They have good defensive ends, but their defensive tackles are just ordinary, at best. Good linebackers, but their secondary is not looking too good. Champ isn't the player he once was. They have a couple good young safeties...but they are young and inexperienced. And who the Hell is starting opposite Champ? Still Andre Goodman? Both of those guys are well on the wrong side of 30, and their back ups are less than stellar.

I guess you're right...I was really thinking of their pass rush, which is top-10. Unfortunately for them, they don't do much else very well on defense. Still, I'd choose Denver over the other options if I was Manning based on the head coaches alone.

March 20th, 2012, 11:33 pm
Varsity Captain

Denver also has room to add people if they wanted, even make trades for higher priced players. They have something to work with. I wonder how the altitude and weather will affect Manning, if at all.

Alex Smith will sign his original contract offer today... 3 years at 8 mil a year, which is what I guessed would happen previously. Smith needs the 49ers as much as the 49ers need Smith. The price won't go up or down because it can't. By comparison, Kolb makes more, and Brady/Manning make over twice that. Seems good to me.

njroar wrote:
That organization has thrown him under the bus more times than I can count

Fans too. Coaches have called him out. Team mates. Players from other teams. Even Jerry Rice and Steve Young have taken shots. That's one thing that I admire about Smith. He keeps taking punches, but gets right back up and fights hard. I could never do what he does.

I'll never forget the game that he played on Sunday night about 2 years ago against the Eagles. The team was bad because of Smith for 3 solid quarters. Singletary stuck with him that entire time, even though the crowd was chanting "WE WANT CARR!" (rofl). Sing was about to pull him, but Smith said "NO I CAN DO IT" and went back into the game in the 4th. And I'll be damned if he didn't fight and bring us back from 14 down to tie the game or get close... can't remember which. We all loved him... then he fumbled the ball away at the end to lose the game 27-24, and we hated him again.

We have a great D. Good O-line. Great RBs. Great special teams. Great coaches now. OK receivers now.... last piece man... last piece.... If we have another 2012 like we did 2011 but with better WRs... we'll be good to go.

March 21st, 2012, 10:41 am
RIP Killer

March 24th, 2012, 9:16 pm
Reply to topic   [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5