View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 21st, 2014, 10:09 am

Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 A question for all u konz guys 
Post Re: A question for all u konz guys
DJ-B wrote:
DisgruntledFan wrote:
In an ideal outcome thought thought of McNiel, Winston, and Konz all joining the OL has me drolling right now! How great would that be to see a nearly full Oline revamp like we've been begging for for YEARS?!

The problem with that is OLs take time to Gell, and with a whole new set of players (even with more talent) you could actually see regression from last years performance. Id like to see 1 more bonafide trusted Starter in FA (Think Rob Sims when we brought him in) and 1-2 High (1st-3rd round) Draft Pick to push a starter/replace them this year or by next at the latest. If they only get 0-1 in rd 1-3 then 1 more developmental guy would be nice as well, but when you try and replace 3+ starters in 1 season on the OL you are just asking for issues.

I agree 100%. That's why I was so high on Konz in the first place. He's big enough and good enough to come in and play OG his rookie year, and I like the idea of giving him a year in the NFL before replacing Dom. If Culbreath is as good as advertised, perhaps he can play RT and we can "fix" the OL, less Backus, this year with one pick. Not to mention, we could keep the continuity on the OL next year by replacing Dom with Konz and MAYBE fix LT by drafting, grooming, or finding one in FA, and replacing one OG. IMO it just seems like the best case scenario.

That said, I would also be happy with drafting a C like Jones later in the draft and a project LT in the 3rd-5th rounds. I think Jones would be able to push Peterman for a starting gig this year (he's 30lbs heavier and most likely stronger than Peterman right now), and he could hopefully get some playing time in this year and replace Dom next year. That's not my preference, but I understand if the FO thinks we HAVE to go CB in the first round. I would have preferred Tracy Porter to drafting a CB though. I just think it's silly to draft a question mark, the most likely of which has a ton of character issues, when we could have Porter for around $5-6 mill per year, and save that first round draft pick.

March 20th, 2012, 3:38 pm
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

I don't entirely understand the Konz fascination. His hands seem to get out in front of him, causing him to lose balance--he ends up on the turf a lot. In watching Wisconsin games, I was much more impressed with Kevin Zeitler, who lined up next to Konz at RG and seems much more powerful and has better feet. I'm not suggesting Konz can't play--he is certainly one of the best centers in the draft. However, if you draft an interior OL player in round one, he's got to be a dominating player--I just don't see that with Konz.

Personally, I think Ben Jones might be the best center in the draft. He has good power and good balance; it looks to me that he could play either RG or LG, so that would create some competition for Raiola and/or Peterman AND provides extra depth at LG should something (god forbid) happen to Sims. I've seen him projected as a 3rd-4th rounder, so he'd be a better value than Konz in my opinion.

March 22nd, 2012, 5:08 pm
mwill2 wrote:
I don't entirely understand the Konz fascination. His hands seem to get out in front of him, causing him to lose balance--he ends up on the turf a lot. In watching Wisconsin games, I was much more impressed with Kevin Zeitler, who lined up next to Konz at RG and seems much more powerful and has better feet. I'm not suggesting Konz can't play--he is certainly one of the best centers in the draft. However, if you draft an interior OL player in round one, he's got to be a dominating player--I just don't see that with Konz.

Personally, I think Ben Jones might be the best center in the draft. He has good power and good balance; it looks to me that he could play either RG or LG, so that would create some competition for Raiola and/or Peterman AND provides extra depth at LG should something (god forbid) happen to Sims. I've seen him projected as a 3rd-4th rounder, so he'd be a better value than Konz in my opinion.

I like Ben Jones a lot as well, and I've stated before that he may be a better value than Konz later in the draft. I'm not saying "draft Konz at all costs," what I advocate is "draft him if he really is what the experts say he is." My love affair with Konz has to do with the value (his draft value is right around where we pick), position (OL - OG/OC), immediate upgrade (replacing Peterman), and veteran replacement of Raiola allowing us to keep continuity on our OL. IMO the last part is HUGE. We're going to need to replace Backus and Raiola in the next two years, and RT and RG. IMO we NEED to start getting long-term guys (someone like Alex Mack... grrhhh) that can be staples of the OL for years to come, that ALLOW us to mix in some 3rd-5th rounders later and play well.

That said, I also like Zeitler as well as Kelechi Osemele and Brandon Brooks (in that order).

March 22nd, 2012, 5:29 pm

Yeah, I agree with all the reasons why drafting that kind of player would be a good idea. I just don't think Konz is really that kind of player. On a related note, I saw similar leverage/balance issues with David DeCastro.

March 22nd, 2012, 5:47 pm
Heisman Winner

allenslions wrote:
I cant begin to tell you guys how high i am on jackson.i remember a few years back when he was a sophmore telling another scout how he was out playing eric berry.and if the kid got better coaching he could be another nnamdi.

Any chance someone can tell me who this guy is and where he goes to school? Tenesee maybe?

never mind. I did find it eventually. sounds risky. Later rd guy Like A L has him pegged I'd say. Probably not a secret though...

Last edited by jrd66 on April 19th, 2012, 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

April 19th, 2012, 12:14 am

jrd66 wrote:
allenslions wrote:
I cant begin to tell you guys how high i am on jackson.i remember a few years back when he was a sophmore telling another scout how he was out playing eric berry.and if the kid got better coaching he could be another nnamdi.

Any chance someone can tell me who this guy is and where he goes to school? Tenesee maybe?

He played for Tennessee but ran into some trouble there; he had some kind of involvement in a robbery. He was suspended from the team but charges against him were dropped and he was allowed back on the team. Something else happened--rumored to be failed drug tests--and he was dismissed from Tennessee--this time for good. He ended up at McNeese State.

Like Janoris Jenkins, he's a talented player with a checkered history.

April 19th, 2012, 12:21 am
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

A question for all u konz guys:

WHAT THE F**K WERE YOU THINKING?

:D

April 27th, 2012, 5:58 am
RIP Killer

thelomasbrowns wrote:

Steven Wisniewski was considered a late first round talent a couple seasons ago, then Oakland took him in round two?

I don't think they have any regrets. And by all accounts, he's outperformed some of the players selected ahead of him.

So....I'm thinking he may not have gone in the first round, but that doesn't mean he's not worthy of having been taken there.

April 27th, 2012, 6:47 am

m2karateman wrote:
thelomasbrowns wrote:

Steven Wisniewski was considered a late first round talent a couple seasons ago, then Oakland took him in round two?

I don't think they have any regrets. And by all accounts, he's outperformed some of the players selected ahead of him.

So....I'm thinking he may not have gone in the first round, but that doesn't mean he's not worthy of having been taken there.

I know, I'm just fooling around. He'd be a great pick (like Wisniewski) in the second. I think it's telling though that the other Wisconsin guard went before him.

April 27th, 2012, 6:53 am
RIP Killer

thelomasbrowns wrote:
m2karateman wrote:
thelomasbrowns wrote:

I know, I'm just fooling around. He'd be a great pick (like Wisniewski) in the second. I think it's telling though that the other Wisconsin guard went before him.

I know you were....but some other people might not.

I'm not really too surprised he fell out of the first round, even though I expected San Francisco to take him in round one. But, he won't last long.

April 27th, 2012, 6:55 am
Color Commentator - John Madden

It'll be interesting if Baltimore kicks the tires on Konz. Matt Birk is so old he farts dust. He's back for a year but he could be the pick.

April 27th, 2012, 11:05 am

Can I point out that Konz got called out during the Atlanta game for basically being weak and for his area on the line being a major area of concern? Something tells me we won't be hearing a mea culpa from our resident draft expert.

December 24th, 2012, 8:15 am
Team MVP

thelomasbrowns wrote:
Can I point out that Konz got called out during the Atlanta game for basically being weak and for his area on the line being a major area of concern? Something tells me we won't be hearing a mea culpa from our resident draft expert.

=D>

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

December 24th, 2012, 3:29 pm
thelomasbrowns wrote:

Are you serious? I already commented on Kontz in the Falcons game thread, but what mistake is there to admit? You're saying that Broyles, a guy that we drafted two rounds early, that had injury concerns, that is now on IR was a better pick?

Kontz is weak, for a RG, and everyone knew that. What's the surprise? He should be playing OC, and probably will be playing OC for Atlanta next year.

December 24th, 2012, 7:37 pm

wjb21ndtown wrote:
thelomasbrowns wrote:

Are you serious? I already commented on Kontz in the Falcons game thread, but what mistake is there to admit? You're saying that Broyles, a guy that we drafted two rounds early, that had injury concerns, that is now on IR was a better pick?

Kontz is weak, for a RG, and everyone knew that. What's the surprise? He should be playing OC, and probably will be playing OC for Atlanta next year.

Broyles was looking awesome, but then hurt his other knee. By that logic, the Steelers wasted a pick on your boy DeCastro. But like I said, I wasn't expecting a mea culpa. Your guys are always awesome and everybody else is a wasted pick.

December 24th, 2012, 9:59 pm
Reply to topic   [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next