View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 17th, 2014, 5:49 pm

Reply to topic  [ 144 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10  Next
 Cornerbacks 
Modmin Dude

Post Re: Cornerbacks
Wonder how this could effect the draft:
PFT wrote:
Top cornerback prospect Claiborne needs wrist surgery
Posted by Evan Silva on March 22, 2012, 4:30 PM EDT
Morris Claiborne AP

Morris Claiborne of LSU is the consensus top cornerback in the 2012 draft. An unexpected medical issue may give some teams pause about drafting him in the top five.

According to the New Orleans Times-Picayune, Claiborne revealed after the Tigers’ Thursday Pro Day that he will undergo wrist surgery on Friday. The procedure will repair a torn ligament in Claiborne’s left wrist.

He suffered the injury in LSU’s 9-6 regular-season overtime win against Alabama, but played through torn ligament the rest of the way. Claiborne had an interception against the Crimson Tide, and two more in the Tigers’ final five games.

Assuming the surgery isn’t serious, we ultimately wouldn’t expect Claiborne’s draft stock to be affected. Claiborne was the No. 4 overall pick in PFT’s first 2012 mock draft.

In other Claiborne news, he ran a 4.39 at LSU’s Pro Day, which was a big improvement on his 4.50 from last month’s Scouting Combine.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... t-surgery/

Why would he wait so long to get the operation??? :confused:

Joe Fauria, MVP!

March 22nd, 2012, 4:35 pm
I would guess he wanted to work out and get his pro-day done first. You can't really lift or run properly with your wrist in a cast, but apparently it wasn't bad enough to hold him out of drills or even to keep him from playing. I would be willing to bet this doesn't hurt him much, if at all, and he'll be ready to go by pre-season.

March 22nd, 2012, 4:38 pm
Pop Warner Rookie

TheRealWags wrote:
Wonder how this could effect the draft:
PFT wrote:
Top cornerback prospect Claiborne needs wrist surgery
Posted by Evan Silva on March 22, 2012, 4:30 PM EDT
Morris Claiborne AP

Morris Claiborne of LSU is the consensus top cornerback in the 2012 draft. An unexpected medical issue may give some teams pause about drafting him in the top five.

According to the New Orleans Times-Picayune, Claiborne revealed after the Tigers’ Thursday Pro Day that he will undergo wrist surgery on Friday. The procedure will repair a torn ligament in Claiborne’s left wrist.

He suffered the injury in LSU’s 9-6 regular-season overtime win against Alabama, but played through torn ligament the rest of the way. Claiborne had an interception against the Crimson Tide, and two more in the Tigers’ final five games.

Assuming the surgery isn’t serious, we ultimately wouldn’t expect Claiborne’s draft stock to be affected. Claiborne was the No. 4 overall pick in PFT’s first 2012 mock draft.

In other Claiborne news, he ran a 4.39 at LSU’s Pro Day, which was a big improvement on his 4.50 from last month’s Scouting Combine.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... t-surgery/

Why would he wait so long to get the operation??? :confused:

Its minor and he will be ready for Camp

March 25th, 2012, 11:17 am
Pop Warner Rookie

If the Lions take a CB at 23 I think its going to be Stephan Gilmore, here is my evaluation:

Positives:
Athlectic, tall, solidly built corner - a true Playmaker
- natural on an Island
- physical nature to his game
impressive lateral quickness in mirroring
- Combine #'s 3.94 shuttle and 6.61 3-cone are above average
good initial burst when asked to turn and run
keeps his base down and under body for excellant balance
uses length well to work an arm bar toward the sideline
fluid in his hips
- cleanly out of his backpedal and gets up to speed quickly
Good straight-line speed for his size
- Combine # 4.4 for size is NFL starter quiality
makes it tough on defenders to separate vertically
ability to re-route because of his size, length and quickness
strength off the line when asked to press
a good closing burst on the football
Reliable hands
"Plus" tackler
- 79 tackles in 2010, 3 sacks, 3 TFL
Quality run defender
good range in the deep half with above-average ball skills in space
- Former QB and WR
- understands the game
Durable
Experienced starter
- played in SC pres-bail/off-coverage
- best near line of scrimmage
- Understands zone concepts and landmarks
Upside - could line up at Safety at times if needed

Negatives:
Not a Wrap up tackler - low cut tackles
Inconsistent
- 2011 was an off year
- tendency to want to get upright and open up his hips prematurely
gives up far too much cushion underneath
Isn't nearly as balanced in off/zone concepts
Needs to be more patient in his drop
forced to get overextended with his footwork in order to click and close
- athletic ability shows he can improve in this area
doesn't always trust what he sees - a bit tentative at times
Gambles

March 25th, 2012, 11:24 am
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

Meechigan89 wrote:
If the Lions take a CB at 23 I think its going to be Stephan Gilmore, here is my evaluation:

Positives:
Athlectic, tall, solidly built corner - a true Playmaker
- natural on an Island
- physical nature to his game
impressive lateral quickness in mirroring
- Combine #'s 3.94 shuttle and 6.61 3-cone are above average
good initial burst when asked to turn and run
keeps his base down and under body for excellant balance
uses length well to work an arm bar toward the sideline
fluid in his hips
- cleanly out of his backpedal and gets up to speed quickly
Good straight-line speed for his size
- Combine # 4.4 for size is NFL starter quiality
makes it tough on defenders to separate vertically
ability to re-route because of his size, length and quickness
strength off the line when asked to press
a good closing burst on the football
Reliable hands
"Plus" tackler
- 79 tackles in 2010, 3 sacks, 3 TFL
Quality run defender
good range in the deep half with above-average ball skills in space
- Former QB and WR
- understands the game
Durable
Experienced starter
- played in SC pres-bail/off-coverage
- best near line of scrimmage
- Understands zone concepts and landmarks
Upside - could line up at Safety at times if needed

Negatives:
Not a Wrap up tackler - low cut tackles
Inconsistent
- 2011 was an off year
- tendency to want to get upright and open up his hips prematurely
gives up far too much cushion underneath
Isn't nearly as balanced in off/zone concepts
Needs to be more patient in his drop
forced to get overextended with his footwork in order to click and close
- athletic ability shows he can improve in this area
doesn't always trust what he sees - a bit tentative at times
Gambles

:roll:
http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/college_big_board_scouting_reports.html&position=cb

Quote:
Scouting Report:
A tall, solidly built corner with a physical nature to his game. Plays in mostly pres-bail/off-coverage at South Carolina and is at his best when he's near the line of scrimmage. For his size showcases impressive lateral quickness in order to mirror. Can keep his base down and under himself initially, but his base level rises the longer he's asked to sit into his drop. However, collects himself quickly and showcases a good initial burst when asked to turn and run. Uses his length well to work an arm bar toward the sideline. Is fluid in his hips, cleanly out of his backpedal and gets up to speed quickly. Exhibits good straight-line speed for his size (played like a mid 4.4 guy) and made it tough on defenders to separate vertically. Showcases some strength off the line when asked to press, has the ability to re-route because of his size, length and quickness, but needs to continue to improve his footwork in order to stay more compact/balanced.

Isn't nearly as balanced in off/zone concepts. Has a tendency to want to get upright and open up his hips prematurely. Doesn't feel the routes of receivers overly well, at times he gives up far too much cushion underneath and struggles to get back out of his breaks. Will get caught with his hips locked prematurely with his back to the sideline and is forced to get overextended with his footwork in order to click and close or simply bail out of his drop and turn his back to the receiver in order to loop around toward the football. Needs to do a better job being more patient in his drop, sitting lower and staying more compact with his footwork. However, he is the kind of athlete that can improve in this area. He showcases natural bend, quickness and fluidity to his game. When he does set his feet, showcases a good closing burst on the football. Exhibits good range in the deep half with above-average ball skills in space.

Will even line-up at safety at times. Does a nice job reading the action in front of him and getting early jumps on the ball. However, doesn't always trust what he sees when asked to close and can get a bit tentative at times. Nevertheless, is a "plus" tackler at the position who isn't afraid to come up near the line of scrimmage and throw his weight around. Is a strong kid who generates a pop on contact and will wrap on the play. At times gets a bit lazy wrapping, but has the skill set and length to fend off blocks on the edge and breakdown on the ball carrier.

Impression: Is a "plus" sized corner with good quickness and fluidity. Needs to clean up his footwork in off/zone concepts, but has skill set to play near the line, check receivers and turn and run. Should be able to fight for a starting role during his rookie year in more of a zone scheme.

March 25th, 2012, 2:16 pm
Team MVP

I was gonna say..

HIS evaluation of Glenn and Gilmore? Give me a break.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

March 25th, 2012, 5:52 pm
Varsity 1st Team

Somebody trying to take my spot as board scout.lol :mrgreen:

March 25th, 2012, 9:09 pm
Mr. Irrelevant

Believe the chances of Gilmore being gone by 23 are increasing. Wouldn't be surprised to see him taken before Dre Kirkpatrick, and he could be gone by our pick as well. So if the Lions want a corner in the 1st, they might be stuck with Janoris Jenkins, unless they trade up.

March 27th, 2012, 8:07 am
Team MVP

liontrax wrote:
Believe the chances of Gilmore being gone by 23 are increasing. Wouldn't be surprised to see him taken before Dre Kirkpatrick, and he could be gone by our pick as well. So if the Lions want a corner in the 1st, they might be stuck with Janoris Jenkins, unless they trade up.

Being "stuck with Jenkins" isn't necessarily a bad thing.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

March 27th, 2012, 10:58 am
RIP Killer

kdsberman wrote:
liontrax wrote:

Hell no, it's not a bad thing. I was against the Lions taking him after the college season ended, but all indications are that he's ditched his old lifestyle and friends and is now focused on football. He was impressive at the Senior Bowl, and had solid workouts in the Combines. If the Lions "ended up" with him, it's entirely possible he's considered a steal a year or two from now.

March 27th, 2012, 11:16 am
m2karateman wrote:
kdsberman wrote:
liontrax wrote:

Hell no, it's not a bad thing. I was against the Lions taking him after the college season ended, but all indications are that he's ditched his old lifestyle and friends and is now focused on football. He was impressive at the Senior Bowl, and had solid workouts in the Combines. If the Lions "ended up" with him, it's entirely possible he's considered a steal a year or two from now.

It's also entirely possible that he tries to bring the "hood" along with him (a la Mike Vick, Pacman Jones). He's a coin flip, that's what I don't like about him. Great upside, huge downside. Worthy pick, no doubt, but there are others that are less risky and will help the team just as much, or more.

March 27th, 2012, 3:54 pm
Mr. Irrelevant

kdsberman wrote:
liontrax wrote:

Yea, I wasn't trying to imply it was a bad thing, just saying. In fact he is possibly the most polished corner on the board. But the others might have more upside, and have better size.

March 27th, 2012, 6:19 pm
Team MVP

liontrax wrote:
kdsberman wrote:
liontrax wrote:

Yea, I wasn't trying to imply it was a bad thing, just saying. In fact he is possibly the most polished corner on the board. But the others might have more upside, and have better size.

True, he is somewhat small. BUT, apparently this hasnt affected him one bit.

The way I look at it is whichever CB we draft (highly assuming we draft one early), they have to practice against Calvin, and that instantly should make that corner that much better.

March 27th, 2012, 8:41 pm
RIP Killer

wjb21ndtown wrote:
m2karateman wrote:
kdsberman wrote:
liontrax wrote:

It's also entirely possible that he tries to bring the "hood" along with him (a la Mike Vick, Pacman Jones). He's a coin flip, that's what I don't like about him. Great upside, huge downside. Worthy pick, no doubt, but there are others that are less risky and will help the team just as much, or more.

I think if the Lions have any inkling that Jenkins is still hanging out with that same crowd, they will pass over him. My understanding is that Jenkins interviewed very well, but Kirkpatrick is the one that struggled during the interview process at the Combines. I would hope that the front office knows what they're doing and can see past any smokescreens put up by Jenkins or Kirkpatrick.

March 27th, 2012, 10:07 pm
3rd Round Selection

I'm worried about Jenkins. Anyone who hasn't learnt, after his third unplanned kid with a third different woman, that contraception is perhaps a good idea is someone who just can't be that smart IMO. (I am right in recalling he has 4 kids by 4 different women at age 20, or something?)

March 28th, 2012, 5:33 am
Reply to topic   [ 144 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10  Next