View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 23rd, 2014, 10:32 am

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 I wish we had a Boomstick... 
Post I wish we had a Boomstick...
Or any other unique Stadium food at ANY of our stadiums... Our concessions stands are junk...

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-big-l ... 01862.html

Quote:
$26 Hot dog! Texas Rangers to serve 2-foot, 1-pound wiener

Team president Nolan Ryan did not mince words with ESPN Radio in Dallas regarding the Texas Rangers most recent acquisition — a 2-foot long, 1-pound gourmet hot dog that feeds three or four fans and costs $26:

"It has to be a tremendous wiener. And then we're getting some kind of exotic bread flown in from France. And I don't know what kind of condiments you put on that. But I do want to look at it.

"That's a wild dog."

Holy StrasBurgers! Everything really is bigger in Texas. A result of the work of Rangers Ballpark chef Cristobal Vasquez, the dog is a Coney Island-style wiener that will be topped with shredded cheese, chili and sauteed onions. Not to mention the bun, apparently made of "exotic bread flown in from France" — which might be the most Nolan Ryan thing that Nolan Ryan has ever said.

But there seems to be a conflict as to what to call this monster weenie.

Brad Newton/Texas RangersIt all depends on where fans purchase it. If they dine at the Captain Morgan Club, they'll be buying a "Champion Dog." Kind of a lame name considering the effort to construct it and the peril in which fans will be putting their waistlines. However, concession stands throughout Rangers Ballpark will also be selling the schnitzel, and there it will be known as the "Boomstick." (It'll cost the same.)

Boomstick is perfect, not only because it will make your intestines go "boom" but because it's a nickname for Rangers slugger Nelson Cruz — or at least for his bats. When he hits a home run, you see, Cruz has lowered the Boomstick.

Why the Rangers marketing department is having trouble with this and using two names, I'm not sure. "Champion Dog" has little ingenuity. And the Rangers are just "champions" of the AL until further notice, not to open old wounds. "Boomstick," while silly ... it just makes sense. Having two names also sets up a kind of class warfare among Rangers fans.

"Oh, the high-society folks in the club dine on Champion Dogs, while the unwashed masses in the grandstands chomp down on Boomsticks."

There's no reason the cattle barons and oil magnates in the Capt. Morgan Club can't just eat a Boomstick like the derrick workers and cowboys (because it's Texas) do in the rest of the ballpark. And they ain't callin' it no "Champion Dog" out in the bleachers. Of course, they also might not be able to afford it in the bleachers, either.

March 24th, 2012, 3:04 pm
RIP Killer

Post Re: I wish we had a Boomstick...
Everything is bigger in Texas, even the wieners!

March 26th, 2012, 2:35 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

Only the cooked ones though...

March 26th, 2012, 3:28 pm
RIP Killer

Wjb, 5/3 park in GR has that monster 5/3 burger that puts any hot dog to shame

March 26th, 2012, 3:29 pm
conversion02 wrote:
Wjb, 5/3 park in GR has that monster 5/3 burger that puts any hot dog to shame

Never been out there. I wish our major stadiums had SOMETHING "special" or even "well done" about them. The closet we have is the food court at Copa - where you can get a phuckin' CHICAGO dog (which I'm sure isn't as good as they are in Chicago...)... It's annoying... Now, you can get a "Detroit style coney" there too, but that's just silly. Everyone puts chilli on a coney.

I got an amazing pulled pork sandwich at the Superdome, which was way better than any food that I've had in any of our major stadiums. It puts Charlie Sander's grill to shame. It's like they intentionally screw you here... super annoying. I mean, my sandwich at the Superdome was $9, but at least it was filling. At Sander's BBQ you get like two ribs, a piece of corn bread, and potato salad, it sucks, costs $14, and you're STILL hungry.

I don't mind paying, but you should get at least get something if they're going to rake you over the coals.

March 26th, 2012, 3:44 pm
RIP Killer

That's why I eat at the new Parthenon before any game. The pastitso is crazy awesome, way better than any ballpark food I've ever seen.

March 26th, 2012, 4:02 pm
conversion02 wrote:
That's why I eat at the new Parthenon before any game. The pastitso is crazy awesome, way better than any ballpark food I've ever seen.

New Parthenon is pretty good. Their octopus is amazing. I like the stuffed peppers at Pegasus too, but Golden Fleece has my favorite generic greek food (souvaki with rice, gyros, etc.). I'm just a foodie though. I like to eat every couple of hours and I LOVE great tasting snacks. It just bothers me that we can't get any quality food, regardless of price, at any of our stadiums. The best food, honestly, is at the palace. If you sit in the first 25 rows or so you get a waiter/waitress and a separate little menu with actual decent food on it.

March 26th, 2012, 5:26 pm
League MVP

the bucharest is also pretty damn good, sometimes i go to games just so i can stop there before AND after

March 26th, 2012, 5:35 pm
The Legend wrote:
the bucharest is also pretty damn good, sometimes i go to games just so i can stop there before AND after

Bucharest is AMAZING. Their chicken sharomas for $4.50 or whatever the hell they cost are a great buy! Their hummus is very good too. A little bit of a walk from the Greek town area, but for Tiger's games its a great spot. Park Bar is a great bar too.

March 26th, 2012, 5:40 pm
Modmin Dude

Did someone say Boomstick?

March 27th, 2012, 1:43 pm
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]