View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently July 28th, 2014, 2:49 pm

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 Recommend Books 
Pro Bowl Player

Post Recommend Books
I'm looking for more books to dig into. I feel like I'm pretty well-read, but perhaps you guys can give me some new ideas. Here is the short list of the most amazing books I've ever read. I would appreciate if others added theirs to this topic. (Please do not include the Bible, that is a given)

How to Win Friends and Influence People Dale Carnegie
The 48 Laws of Power Robert Greene
The Game Neil Strauss
Atlas Shrugged Ayn Rand
The Black Swan Nassim Taleb

March 19th, 2012, 11:30 pm
Afghan Allstar

Post Re: Recommend Books
I actually just finished reading On Writing, by Stephen King. If you have ever thought about getting into writing, it would be a great book to read. Even if you're not interested in trying to be a writer, like me, it was still very interesting to get some insight into the process from one of the great Horror writers of our time.

March 19th, 2012, 11:44 pm
QB Coach

It's not the Bible, but here are some very good books along with their topic

Wild at Heart: John Eldredge (why do we men act and think as we do)

Case for Christ: Lee Strobel. (Lee was an avid atheist and an investigative reporter. He explains how he became a Christian and is strongly recommended for Avid Atheists who have all of the God questions.)

Historical Fiction (non-religious)

Agincourt: Bernard Cornwell (1st one I read, based upon historic battle)
Saxon Series: Bernard Cornwell (based upon a English boy captured by the Danes, very good)
Grail Quest Series: Bernard Corwell (A man's quest for the Holy Grail, based upon his families history with it.)

I've read 6 of these in the last 6 weeks. Bernard is an excellent writer, and really draws you in.

2 Chronicles 10:14, "if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land."

March 20th, 2012, 8:24 am
3rd Round Selection

WarEr4Christ wrote:

Saxon Series: Bernard Cornwell (based upon a English boy captured by the Danes, very good)
Grail Quest Series: Bernard Corwell (A man's quest for the Holy Grail, based upon his families history with it.)

I've read 6 of these in the last 6 weeks. Bernard is an excellent writer, and really draws you in.

If you like those, you might also like Conn Iggulden's series on Julius Ceaser and Genghis Khan. They're slightly different to Cornwell's approach, in that Cornwell takes a genuine historical setting and inserts a fictional character/hero whereas Iggulden writes about historical characters, but I enjoyed both - probably preferring Iggulden's stuff.

Blueskies - a couple of non-fiction books I enjoyed recently were Guns, Germs and Steel by Jared Diamond and 1493 by Charles C Mann. I can highly recommend them - both are fairly academic works, but written in a style that keeps your interest and avoids getting dry at any point.

March 20th, 2012, 9:53 am
Afghan Allstar

WarEr4Christ wrote:
It's not the Bible, but here are some very good books along with their topic

Wild at Heart: John Eldredge (why do we men act and think as we do)

Case for Christ: Lee Strobel. (Lee was an avid atheist and an investigative reporter. He explains how he became a Christian and is strongly recommended for Avid Atheists who have all of the God questions.)

Can[t speak for the others, but Agincourt is an awesome book. I'd read it again.

March 20th, 2012, 2:05 pm
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

some old favs of mine are

Catch 22 (total mind bender!)
Winds of War (best war book I've ever read.)

for the dorks of the house.....The heir to the empire series of star wars books are incredible. and as much of a dork as it makes me to say it...the Harry Potter books were an adictive read as well.

March 23rd, 2012, 9:05 am
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

Guns, Germs, and Steel is great.

Some other books I enjoyed are the following:
Strangers from another shore (about immigrants from the Orient)
War without Mercy (about World War II in the Pacific)
American Caesar (a biography of Douglas MacArthur)
Patton: A Genius for War (Biography of George S. Patton Jr.)
Bitter Victory (about Operation Husky)
Benevolent Assimilation (about the Philippine-American War)

March 26th, 2012, 10:46 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Deep Trouble-R.L. Stine
Night of the Living Dummy(1,2,&3)-R.L. Stine
Dear Diary, I'm Dead

pretty much anything Goosebumps \:D/

March 30th, 2012, 3:38 am
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

seriously tho, Black Lizard's Big book of Pulps is pretty good. I like offbeat media though

March 30th, 2012, 3:39 am
QB Coach

Read almost anything by Christoper Moore. His books are hilarious and absolutely insane.

If you like fiction/spy kinda stuff, the John Rain series by Barry Eisler is really good.

Also, I hate to admit this but if you're looking for an easy fairly entertaining read, I just finished the Hunger Games series. Clearly they're meant for the younger crowd, but I read through them quick and was entertained.

March 30th, 2012, 1:25 pm
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

Just read "How to ARCHER". Laughed my tail off the entire time i was reading. If you are a fan of the show Archer, you MUST read this (mini) Book!!!!!

April 2nd, 2012, 4:06 pm
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]