View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 25th, 2014, 1:43 am



Reply to topic  [ 232 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
 Thoughts on Santorum 
Author Message
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: August 6th, 2004, 9:21 am
Posts: 9494
Location: Dallas
Post Re: Thoughts on Santorum
WarEr4Christ wrote:
I find it laughable that people of faith, especially those in the spotlight, are put up on a pedastal and then discredited when the fall.


Then you want it both ways. Because of their faith we seem to label them as having high morals and being of good character. We are all judged by the labels we are given, or give ourselves. If you choose to put yourself in the spotlight, like running for president, you are going to be held to a higher standard regardless.

BTW - reread the article and please tell me the reference to his faith. I seemed to miss it. I also look for any reference to faith in the following posts but missed it there as well. IMO it was irrelevant to this discussion. The fact is he is a man running for president, and "swearing" doesn't seem very presidential in the court of public opinion.

_________________
Image
LB Tweet


March 27th, 2012, 10:11 am
Profile WWW
Player of the Year - Defense

Joined: September 25th, 2007, 3:20 am
Posts: 2795
Post Re: Thoughts on Santorum
WarEr4Christ wrote:
I find it laughable that people of faith, especially those in the spotlight, are put up on a pedastal and then discredited when the fall.


He put himself on he pedestal. And his faith has nothing to do with it. He's cracking due to frustration and its showing. Cursing at a reporter isn't a Presidential thing to do, regardless of faith. I don't mind him fighting back, I actually think its a good thing, but that still doesn't take away from the fact that even when he's winning, he's not gaining any ground.


March 27th, 2012, 11:09 am
Profile
QB Coach
User avatar

Joined: October 26th, 2005, 11:48 pm
Posts: 3039
Location: Elkhart, In.
Post Re: Thoughts on Santorum
As to the Bulls*it comment, it wouldn't be bad for any of the other candidates, but for Santorum it goes against everything he's said he believes in. He's cracking to the pressure.

When will I ever learn? :roll:

It wasn't a very big jump, actually more like a step, but it seemed fairly obvious that this referenced his faith. Maybe it was the word "believed." As for wanting it both ways, no that's not true at all. I would hope with all my heart that a person of faith would be able to withstand the pressures of society, and the agenda of a world gone mad, and still lead with integrity. But in an arena like this where every word, and every action is scrutinized looking for dirt, you're bound to find something. MY hope would be that a level of understanding would be made known that we are all fallible and so can fall at any time. Having said that, anyone who steps out into the spot light and professes to have faith, needs to double all efforts to surround themselves with people of integrity, and create boundaries which help to prevent falling. Tough to do, but VITAL to integrity. That's all I was saying.

I'm curious Pablo is VP Biden's repeated language considered Vice-Presidential to you? I'm assuming not, but see anything posted. Or how about a President and his wife who are dictating through policy what we and our children can eat, but yet he smokes! Is that hypocrisy? Sounds like do as I say not as I do to me...

_________________
2 Chronicles 10:14, "if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land."


March 27th, 2012, 1:16 pm
Profile
Hall of Fame Player
User avatar

Joined: April 5th, 2005, 7:03 am
Posts: 7411
Location: Ford Field - 35 yard line / Row 32
Post Re: Thoughts on Santorum
Personally, I don't blame Santorum for being pissed. Not one little bit. The reporter did ask the question out of the context that it was meant (as they often do) and he did it on purpose to invoke a response.

I've watched the media closely during this campaign and I'm thoroughly disgusted by what I've seen. This episode was just one more well planned distraction from the real issues that face our nation. Unfortunately Santorum took the bait and cracked under the pressure.

Having said that, Santorum lost all credibility weeks ago when he wouldn't stop attacking Romney while Romney was focused on the real opponent; Obama. Santorum stands zero chance for the nomination at this point and just needs to step aside.

_________________
Image


March 27th, 2012, 1:21 pm
Profile WWW
Player of the Year - Defense

Joined: September 25th, 2007, 3:20 am
Posts: 2795
Post Re: Thoughts on Santorum
WarEr4Christ wrote:
As to the Bulls*it comment, it wouldn't be bad for any of the other candidates, but for Santorum it goes against everything he's said he believes in. He's cracking to the pressure.

When will I ever learn? :roll:

It wasn't a very big jump, actually more like a step, but it seemed fairly obvious that this referenced his faith. Maybe it was the word "believed." As for wanting it both ways, no that's not true at all. I would hope with all my heart that a person of faith would be able to withstand the pressures of society, and the agenda of a world gone mad, and still lead with integrity. But in an arena like this where every word, and every action is scrutinized looking for dirt, you're bound to find something. MY hope would be that a level of understanding would be made known that we are all fallible and so can fall at any time. Having said that, anyone who steps out into the spot light and professes to have faith, needs to double all efforts to surround themselves with people of integrity, and create boundaries which help to prevent falling. Tough to do, but VITAL to integrity. That's all I was saying.

I'm curious Pablo is VP Biden's repeated language considered Vice-Presidential to you? I'm assuming not, but see anything posted. Or how about a President and his wife who are dictating through policy what we and our children can eat, but yet he smokes! Is that hypocrisy? Sounds like do as I say not as I do to me...


In our personal lives, cursing or sinning isn't a big deal to the news cycle. If you put faith out there as a reason you have your beliefs, you are going to be held to a higher standard than most. Its no different than politicians that speak out against homosexuality than turn out gay themselves. Stepping out of line isn't big unless you speak out so loudly against it. Is that ideal of standards limited to faith? No, but faith is what Santorum put up on the pedestal. So he's not being knocked because of his faith, but the hypocrisy in it.


March 27th, 2012, 1:28 pm
Profile
QB Coach
User avatar

Joined: October 26th, 2005, 11:48 pm
Posts: 3039
Location: Elkhart, In.
Post Re: Thoughts on Santorum
I understand what y'all are saying, I really do, and I agree with you. But what I was trying to suggest is that we the people need to realize, or be reminded that even stepping out in faith, and on a platform there of, is NOT a license for perfection. There is not a person who walks this Earth, that will be able to maintain that standard. It doesn't make us hypocritical unless we get a do as I say not as I do attitude. But if mistakes are made, we acknowledge the mistake, seek forgiveness and then move on, we should all do just that. Move on. But we who live in glass houses, are too quick to chuk rocks in my opinion.

_________________
2 Chronicles 10:14, "if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land."


March 27th, 2012, 1:57 pm
Profile
Post Re: Thoughts on Santorum
LionFan57 wrote:
Personally, I don't blame Santorum for being pissed. Not one little bit. The reporter did ask the question out of the context that it was meant (as they often do) and he did it on purpose to invoke a response.

I've watched the media closely during this campaign and I'm thoroughly disgusted by what I've seen. This episode was just one more well planned distraction from the real issues that face our nation. Unfortunately Santorum took the bait and cracked under the pressure.

Having said that, Santorum lost all credibility weeks ago when he wouldn't stop attacking Romney while Romney was focused on the real opponent; Obama. Santorum stands zero chance for the nomination at this point and just needs to step aside.



Best case scenario is that they all stay in, all steal votes from eachother, and this thing goes to the Republican Convention. That's the best chance we have to get a real candidate to oppose Obama. Romney is NOT the answer.


March 27th, 2012, 3:39 pm
Player of the Year - Defense

Joined: September 25th, 2007, 3:20 am
Posts: 2795
Post Re: Thoughts on Santorum
The longer the thing draws out, the less chances Obama has to go on the offensive against a candidate.


March 27th, 2012, 3:47 pm
Profile
Post Re: Thoughts on Santorum
njroar wrote:
The longer the thing draws out, the less chances Obama has to go on the offensive against a candidate.



Doesn't matter... Getting the right candidate is MUCH better than going forward with the wrong candidate - Romney. PLUS that candidate can be said to have the "support of the entire Republican Party," which is saying something, even if Democrats will nitpick at the selection process.


March 27th, 2012, 3:51 pm
Player of the Year - Defense

Joined: September 25th, 2007, 3:20 am
Posts: 2795
Post Re: Thoughts on Santorum
Even at a brokered convention, they can't just pick whoever they want. Someone else would have to step forward, which isn't going to happen. And at a brokered convention with the current candidates, it will go to Romney. Once a nominee is selected, the entire party will stand behind him, because they sure as hell aren't going to support Obama.


March 27th, 2012, 3:54 pm
Profile
Post Re: Thoughts on Santorum
njroar wrote:
Even at a brokered convention, they can't just pick whoever they want. Someone else would have to step forward, which isn't going to happen. And at a brokered convention with the current candidates, it will go to Romney. Once a nominee is selected, the entire party will stand behind him, because they sure as hell aren't going to support Obama.


Not true. At the brokered convention the leaders of the party elect the nominee. They can elect whomever they want, and Romney did HORRIBLE at the last convention. He's NOT the favorite amongst true conservatives. Sarah Palin backs Gingrich, along with others, and Santorum gets a ton of support. You could also see someone entirely new, but that's not likely.


March 27th, 2012, 3:58 pm
Player of the Year - Defense

Joined: September 25th, 2007, 3:20 am
Posts: 2795
Post Re: Thoughts on Santorum
The delegates revote, the leaders don't just select. Its possible they could vote in a different direction, but given the % currently, its highly unlikely.


March 27th, 2012, 4:04 pm
Profile
Post Re: Thoughts on Santorum
njroar wrote:
The delegates revote, the leaders don't just select. Its possible they could vote in a different direction, but given the % currently, its highly unlikely.


From what I understand they "re-vote" but not according to popular vote in the states, it's to THEIR PREFERENCE. So the fact that Santorum won FL or Romney won states X,Y, and Z doesn't matter. Essentially, the prior votes go out the window.


March 27th, 2012, 4:05 pm
Player of the Year - Defense

Joined: September 25th, 2007, 3:20 am
Posts: 2795
Post Re: Thoughts on Santorum
Yes, but the delegates are from the States party. They still have to go home and answer to the states that they live in. If a state that voted heavy for Santorum suddenly voted for Ron Paul at the convention, they'd be returning home to angry neighbors. Throughout history, there hasn't been many surprises except when someone had a sudden surge of popularity. Paul, Gingrich and Santorum saw slight surges but were too early in the process. We'll see if anything surprising happens over the summer.


March 27th, 2012, 4:12 pm
Profile
Hall of Fame Player
User avatar

Joined: April 5th, 2005, 7:03 am
Posts: 7411
Location: Ford Field - 35 yard line / Row 32
Post Re: Thoughts on Santorum
wjb21ndtown wrote:
LionFan57 wrote:
Personally, I don't blame Santorum for being pissed. Not one little bit. The reporter did ask the question out of the context that it was meant (as they often do) and he did it on purpose to invoke a response.

I've watched the media closely during this campaign and I'm thoroughly disgusted by what I've seen. This episode was just one more well planned distraction from the real issues that face our nation. Unfortunately Santorum took the bait and cracked under the pressure.

Having said that, Santorum lost all credibility weeks ago when he wouldn't stop attacking Romney while Romney was focused on the real opponent; Obama. Santorum stands zero chance for the nomination at this point and just needs to step aside.



Best case scenario is that they all stay in, all steal votes from eachother, and this thing goes to the Republican Convention. That's the best chance we have to get a real candidate to oppose Obama. Romney is NOT the answer.


Sadly, neither is Santorum.

_________________
Image


March 28th, 2012, 4:41 pm
Profile WWW
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 232 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.