View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 23rd, 2014, 4:37 pm

Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Cap Space 
RIP Killer

Post Re: Cap Space
conversion02 wrote:
Corey restructured last year. Avril can't sniff CJs jock and tulloch took much less than he was "demanding"

So yes, avril is hurting the team by this disillusioned thought that he's worth $10M+

Corey can restructure again, so what's your point? He's counting as $6M against the cap. That is too high for him.

And if this is a TEAM, and you want to complain about Avril wanting to be paid so much, then you have to point out all of those who are already getting paid a bunch. Remember, they are then hurting the TEAM as well with what they are counting against the cap.

I don't like the situation. I don't think Avril is worth $10M per year. But the business end of the NFL has absolutely NOTHING to do with what's in the best interests of the teams financial issues. The business end is about the individual. That's my point. No player negotiates a new deal to simply help his team. Not one.

April 1st, 2012, 8:30 am
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

m2karateman wrote:
conversion02 wrote:
Corey restructured last year. Avril can't sniff CJs jock and tulloch took much less than he was "demanding"

So yes, avril is hurting the team by this disillusioned thought that he's worth $10M+

Corey can restructure again, so what's your point? He's counting as $6M against the cap. That is too high for him.

And if this is a TEAM, and you want to complain about Avril wanting to be paid so much, then you have to point out all of those who are already getting paid a bunch. Remember, they are then hurting the TEAM as well with what they are counting against the cap.

I don't like the situation. I don't think Avril is worth $10M per year. But the business end of the NFL has absolutely NOTHING to do with what's in the best interests of the teams financial issues. The business end is about the individual. That's my point. No player negotiates a new deal to simply help his team. Not one.

At least we agree that he's not worth 10mil+ a season.

NEVER GIVE UP!

April 2nd, 2012, 8:12 am
Varsity Captain

Haven't heared from Sly or Net Rat so this is the best info I could find on my own. Including Avril at the franchise number, we are currently at $4.5m available cap space.
Now, I am assuming that this figure is already taking into account the rookie pool and all valid contracts to this date(I know that CJ's and Tulloch's numbers are included). If I am wrong on any point please enlighten me.

$4.5m is more than enough cash to bring in 1 or 2 solid players. Or one player and an emergency fund in case of injury. It seems as if we have put everything on hold waiting to hear from Cliff and his people. There are alot of quality players still out there waiting for teams to recalculate their cap numbers. Everyday 1 or 2 of those guys get snapped up.

We need to move on. Either we leave Cliff at his current number and look to fill a position of need. If we can get Cliff signed in time to pickup a couple of players at positions of need, we will have much better flexability come draft time.

I know this is largely a rant but if I have missed on any point please tell me so I can make sense of what is going on at this point.

April 2nd, 2012, 12:48 pm

I 100% believe it's Avril's contract status that is prohibiting the Lions on making any solid roster additions via FA.

NEVER GIVE UP!

April 2nd, 2012, 1:13 pm
Player of the Year - Defense

Why do you assume everything is on hold? We brought back 21 of 22 starters, and signed Lacey to replace Wright. We're now in draft mode. They're negotiating with Cliff, but there's no rush. He's not holding up anything. If they need to make a signing, they can cut players, or make sure whoever they sign doesn't change the $ amount of the top 51, which can be tough at times, but not impossible.

The team is in good shape and ready for the draft in 23 days. Getting Cliff to a longer-term deal would free up some room, but they aren't looking at it as a priority right now. Regardless of some poster's desires to trade him, the team wants Cliff here.

IF they suddenly freed up money, who exactly is out there that would upgrade our team, that fits the system? I'm curious where people see major upgrades out there.

April 2nd, 2012, 1:19 pm
njroar wrote:
Why do you assume everything is on hold? We brought back 21 of 22 starters, and signed Lacey to replace Wright. We're now in draft mode. They're negotiating with Cliff, but there's no rush. He's not holding up anything. If they need to make a signing, they can cut players, or make sure whoever they sign doesn't change the $ amount of the top 51, which can be tough at times, but not impossible.

The team is in good shape and ready for the draft in 23 days. Getting Cliff to a longer-term deal would free up some room, but they aren't looking at it as a priority right now. Regardless of some poster's desires to trade him, the team wants Cliff here.

IF they suddenly freed up money, who exactly is out there that would upgrade our team, that fits the system? I'm curious where people see major upgrades out there.

Michael Bush, Tracey Porter and an extra first or second round pick would have helped this team much more than Avril alone, and that's what we could have been looking at had we traded him.

April 2nd, 2012, 1:30 pm
Varsity Captain

njroar wrote:

When I said everything was on hold I was talking about FA. Yes the team wants Avril but at what cost? There is alot more to consider than how much money Cliff gets. He is tying up cap space that could make the team even more ready by allowing them to sign a FA that can fill a hole that would otherwise have to be filled with a draft pick.

Whom is out there? LB David Hawthorne, quality MLB willing to move outside. Too many OTs and OGs that would be upgrades over a couple that we currently have. WRs, RBs, Ss, Dlinemen and Dbackfield players. There is not one team in the NFL that couldn't better themselves with the players currently available and there will be even more after the draft.

Not only is Avril deprieving the Lions of the certanty of the length of his services, he is also dangling the opportunity of getting 1 or 2 more solid players in the fold before the draft which would make us even more draft ready, if there even is such a thing.

Go ahead let me have it. Just be polite or thankful......j/k.

Last edited by Boz on April 2nd, 2012, 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

April 2nd, 2012, 1:36 pm
Player of the Year - Defense

wjb21ndtown wrote:
njroar wrote:

Michael Bush, Tracey Porter and an extra first or second round pick would have helped this team much more than Avril alone, and that's what we could have been looking at had we traded him.

We could have afforded Bush or Porter, so again, Cliff's tag didn't hurt us in pursuing them. They're players you think would help us, but the front office obviously didn't think so. Also, you have to assume that a team that wants a DE, isn't in position to draft one for cheaper. The offers could come in after or during the draft once they see how things play out.

April 2nd, 2012, 1:45 pm
RIP Killer

http://blogs.nfl.com/2012/03/30/salary- ... each-team/

NFL.com wrote:
Detroit Lions
Current contracts: 47
Previous year carryover: $1,364,071.00
Adjustments: $2,802,484.00
Adjusted cap: $124,766,555.00
Team cap: $120,246,822.00
Cap room: $4,519,733.00
Team cash: $117,573,300.00

April 2nd, 2012, 1:51 pm
Profile WWW
wjb21ndtown wrote:
njroar wrote:

We'll never know what the offers are. Mayhew won't put that information out there, because it allows fans to second guess him. Any team picking after 15 or so that needs a DE would be silly to pass up Avril for a draft pick, IMO.

While we could afford Bush (or?) Porter (I don't think we have an extra $8 mill with Avrils $10.6 on the books) it would have put us in jeopardy signing our draft picks. Additionally, we've been trying to workout something long-term with Avril, so a reduced cap hit from Avril would cause us to not be able to afford EITHER Bush or Porter WITH our draft picks, to the best of my knowledge. I think we would have been better dumping him.

We could have afforded Bush or Porter, so again, Cliff's tag didn't hurt us in pursuing them. They're players you think would help us, but the front office obviously didn't think so. Also, you have to assume that a team that wants a DE, isn't in position to draft one for cheaper. The offers could come in after or during the draft once they see how things play out.

The above posts proves my point perfectly.

April 2nd, 2012, 1:52 pm
Varsity Captain

Thanks Pablo, that's the closest to being right that I have ever been, except for predicting that CRog was not using PE drugs......lmao :cheers:

The $4.5 that is.

April 2nd, 2012, 2:33 pm

wjb21ndtown wrote:
njroar wrote:

Doesn't happen often, but I am with wjb on this one.

NEVER GIVE UP!

April 2nd, 2012, 2:34 pm
Varsity Captain

Trying to catch up on the typing. Avril's number did not prevent us from persuing FAs but it did limit the ones we could sign(in hindsight). Kinda like dating the captain of the science club or the prom queen.

The Lions will keep a percentage of their remaining cap space for a rainy day fund(injuries or sucky players)

Moves that a team can make during FA will always have an effect on their draft strategy

While I can't fault for Avril for going after all he can get, there comes a point where you have to decide if you want to be a million dollar baby or a very well paid member of a very good team. JMHO.

April 2nd, 2012, 2:49 pm
RIP Killer

The Lions can afford to wait it out for now. Just remember, after the draft there are players on other rosters who get cut, mostly due to a younger, cheaper replacement having just been drafted by their team. In particular, it's during the roster cutdowns that some pretty good deals can be had. Teams shed some pretty good players at that time, and those players are anxious to get signed to a deal before the start of the season to guarantee their deal for the entire season, so they are motivated to sign for lesser money.

I don't understand the incredible love for Michael Bush. He's really not been anything special in the league. While he could have brought some stability to the position, his contract is ridiculously high. Tracy Porter being signed for a year would have been nice, but as pointed out earlier, Avril hasn't been standing in the way of that deal being offered by Detroit.

And like I said in another thread, the business side of football is about the individual, not the team. I haven't heard exactly what Avril is demanding, nor what the Lions are offering. Either way, I prefer that, at this point in the season, the Lions concern themselves with the draft and getting that right.

April 2nd, 2012, 2:55 pm

m2karateman wrote:
The Lions can afford to wait it out for now. Just remember, after the draft there are players on other rosters who get cut, mostly due to a younger, cheaper replacement having just been drafted by their team. In particular, it's during the roster cutdowns that some pretty good deals can be had. Teams shed some pretty good players at that time, and those players are anxious to get signed to a deal before the start of the season to guarantee their deal for the entire season, so they are motivated to sign for lesser money.

I don't understand the incredible love for Michael Bush. He's really not been anything special in the league. While he could have brought some stability to the position, his contract is ridiculously high. Tracy Porter being signed for a year would have been nice, but as pointed out earlier, Avril hasn't been standing in the way of that deal being offered by Detroit.

And like I said in another thread, the business side of football is about the individual, not the team. I haven't heard exactly what Avril is demanding, nor what the Lions are offering. Either way, I prefer that, at this point in the season, the Lions concern themselves with the draft and getting that right.

Yes, I'd like them to get the draft right as well. While I see Avril has a solid player and can possibly continue to become a better player. I'm just having a hard time personally tying up all that money on him, when I can see it better spend elsewhere like the secondary as an example or shoot even the o-line.

As far as the business side goes, I understand where Avril is coming from.. he feels he's earned top pay money but as a friend of mine discussed over the weekend.. there are factors one has to consider when he comes to his level of play.

1, was he a product of the talent around him?
2, was the new scheme(wide 9) a reason for his success?
3, we all know players go all out during their contract year.. could the same be said for Avril?

Those reasons above is why I personally have a hard time seeing how the Lions can't go and get a 3rd-4th rd. DE in this years draft that can come in and help with the rotation. Shoot, we still have Willie Young, LoJack, KVB and we re-signed Fluellen who can play both DT/DE to a 1 yr deal. Also, as mentioned there could be a solid FA DE that could be cut loose and would like to come play with the studs we have on the DL already. Also, how difficult would it be on passing downs to roll Suh out to DE and have Williams/Fairley play DT and KVB or his backup in there getting after the QB?

All this is stuff I had been thinking about discussing with a friend and all reasons why I think the Lions should get what they can get for Avril and spend that money elsewhere.

NEVER GIVE UP!

April 2nd, 2012, 3:26 pm
Reply to topic   [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next