View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently July 30th, 2014, 5:27 am

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 Teams are starting to emulate us? 
Veteran General Manager

Post Teams are starting to emulate us?
Quote:
For the first time in a long time, teams are trying to emulate the Lions

By Tim Twentyman

Posted Mar 27, 2012

Palm Beach, Fla. -- Three years ago, could anyone associated with the Lions imagine a time when other teams around the NFL would be studying Lions game film to try and replicate things they were doing on the football field?

It's been just three seasons since their historic 0-16 run, but Texans coach Gary Kubiak told Detroitlions.com Tuesday at the NFL league meetings in Florida that he studied the Lions offense this offseason to see if he could implement some of its concepts into his own offense in Houston.

"I mean, you guys moved the hell out of the ball and we studied you guys because you were so successful moving the ball," Kubiak said. "We go back and pick a few teams that we think are doing things exceptional and see if maybe there are some things we can add to what we do offensively.

"We've both been through the same process building a football team and working our way up and I am very impressed (with the Lions). I know coach Schwartz very well from Tennessee. I think he wanted a more physical football team and I think (offensive coordinator) Scott Linehan has done a great job offensively.

The Lions had the league's fourth-ranked offense last season and fourth-best passing attack. The Texans ranked 10th overall on offense and 18th in passing.

It just so happens the Lions will host the Texans at Ford Field this season.

But Kubiak isn't the only head coach around the league impressed with the Lions' transformation into a playoff contender.

"I just think coach Schwartz and that staff have done a great job in the draft with the players they've added," said new Colts head coach Chuck Pagano, who will also play the Lions this upcoming season.

"They've done a great job with the organization and they have talent all over the place now. They built a defense and built an offense, they got the quarterback and they have a wide receiver no one can cover. My hat's off to Schwartz and his whole staff and that whole organization for what they've done there."

Titans coach Mike Munchak summed up the Lions' new image around the NFL best, though, when he said: "Most people know who's on that team now and that's a team that, for a lot of years (to come), people are going to pay attention to."

March 30th, 2012, 2:22 pm
All State

Post Re: Teams are starting to emulate us?
Thats what happens when you start to succeed ,we're a great young team on the rise, and man does it sure feel good. The things that the Lions offense did last year were remarkable , but you cant copy Calvin, so in the end they lose ...

March 30th, 2012, 6:51 pm
Junior Varsity

I know the coaching fraternity is tight, but this is nice praise, the kind we haven't had in a long time. Some of us on here can be kind of critical of the offense at times, especially the running game (me included, even though I don't post much), but last year was really a breakthrough and I look forward to watching this offense with some confidence under their belt from the start of the season.

March 31st, 2012, 12:40 am
Varsity Benchwarmer

having MEGATRON to toss the rock to is great, i'm more impressed with our gunslinging QB. If we can give the guy 5 seconds or more to sit back and pick teams apart it will be all GRAVY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

April 1st, 2012, 7:12 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

jedi~outcast wrote:
having MEGATRON to toss the rock to is great, i'm more impressed with our gunslinging QB. If we can give the guy 5 seconds or more to sit back and pick teams apart it will be all GRAVY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

it is a joy to watch Stafford run the offense. no one realizes but he is CLUTCH AS HELL. but Scott Linehan and Gunther Cunningham were awesome hires by the luke skywalker of coaching. I just hope they dont take other jobs anytime soon. We are creeping on that division only 3 years after being the worst team in history so other coaches notice cuz whatever our strategy is its working. we had our issues but there were times we destroyed teams so we would be a good to emulate. i dont think many teams are copying our wide 9 tho

April 2nd, 2012, 4:26 am
Veteran General Manager

Killwill25 wrote:
jedi~outcast wrote:

it is a joy to watch Stafford run the offense. no one realizes but he is CLUTCH AS HELL. but Scott Linehan and Gunther Cunningham were awesome hires by the luke skywalker of coaching. I just hope they dont take other jobs anytime soon. We are creeping on that division only 3 years after being the worst team in history so other coaches notice cuz whatever our strategy is its working. we had our issues but there were times we destroyed teams so we would be a good to emulate. i dont think many teams are copying our wide 9 tho

Actually, I think Philly copied it last year.

April 2nd, 2012, 5:50 pm

BillySims wrote:

...with their first year DC who spent a lifetime as an O-line coach. :?

April 3rd, 2012, 10:18 am

thelomasbrowns wrote:
BillySims wrote:

...with their first year DC who spent a lifetime as an O-line coach. :?

And how did it work out for them......

April 4th, 2012, 4:08 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
RIP Killer

Quote:

You mean they are all smoking dope now?

April 4th, 2012, 5:56 pm
Profile WWW
Veteran General Manager

Pablo wrote:
Quote:

You mean they are all smoking dope now?

Well, I'm Fairley LeShoure that smoking/eating Dope will give you Culbreath. LOL.

April 5th, 2012, 9:27 am
RIP Killer

One has to wonder how these recent arrests will affect the way the Lions approach the draft, particularly in regards to Janoris Jenkins and Dre Kirkpatrick?

With all the negative press coming from this now, and the claims that there was some concern about the Lions having taken these players with "character" issues, I have to imagine Mayhew and Schwartz are starting to re-evaluate their dismissal of character issues in the face of recent events.

If either Kirkpatrick or Jenkins is still on the board when the Lions pick, do they pull the trigger on one of them, or pass and take another "safer" player?

April 5th, 2012, 11:51 am
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]