View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently July 24th, 2014, 1:55 pm

Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Mikel LeShoure Arrested 
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

Post Re: Mikel LeShoure Arrested
The Legend wrote:
something i read on this says he faces a felony indictment. im not sure how accurate that is but it is very disappointing that he is doing this when there are people counting on him to be returning from and rehabbing a career threatening injury. not a good sign by any means.

There would have to be a pretty big amount for MJ to be a felony indictment...

April 2nd, 2012, 5:44 pm
RIP Killer

Showing how classy he is by chewing down a dime bag...

He really doesn't want the rest of his money, does he?

April 2nd, 2012, 8:26 pm
League MVP

regularjoe12 wrote:
The Legend wrote:
something i read on this says he faces a felony indictment. im not sure how accurate that is but it is very disappointing that he is doing this when there are people counting on him to be returning from and rehabbing a career threatening injury. not a good sign by any means.

There would have to be a pretty big amount for MJ to be a felony indictment...

nevertheless headline on freep.com says felony

http://www.freep.com/article/20120402/S ... |FRONTPAGE

April 2nd, 2012, 9:33 pm
Player of the Year - Defense

The mistake by freep on that isn't that the possession/2nd offense is a felony, its that he was only charged with use of marijuana last time, so its not a 2nd offense of possession.

April 2nd, 2012, 10:02 pm
League MVP

mlive reporting that he also no showed for his arraignment

April 2nd, 2012, 11:40 pm
QB Coach

Was totally disappointed when I read this. Last year I was excited by getting him and hoping the promise he showed early on in camp before the injury would translate to the field this year. Now it's looking like he'll face a 4 game suspension and possibly worse consequences from the judicial system especially due to the failure to show up for his arraignment, which will now be Wednesday.

April 3rd, 2012, 1:50 am
3rd Round Selection

Caught once - forgivable. Caught a second time - stupid. Caught twice whilst trying to establish a career in the NFL whilst not having even seen the field yet - incredibly stupid.

Whether you agree with the law or not (I'd prefer decriminalisation myself), he knows what the law is and knows what the NFL's rules are.

April 3rd, 2012, 4:52 am
Hall of Fame Player

The Detroit News wrote:
April 2, 2012 at 1:00 am
Drug charge another hurdle for Lions RB Mikel Leshoure
By Chris McCosky
The Detroit News

Mikel Leshoure rushed for 1,697 yards and 17 TDs at Illinois in 2010. (Daniel Mears / Detroit News)

Allen Park — For a young man who was born in a prison and spent most of his young life trying to outrun the former lifestyle of his parents, the Lions' Mikel Leshoure has hit another bump in the road.

The running back was arrested twice in less than a month on marijuana possession charges — first, on Feb. 18 in Benton Township and again on March 12 in Baroda Lake Township, both in southwest Michigan.

He accepted a lesser charge of marijuana use on the first arrest and paid a $485 fine. He was scheduled for a walk-in arraignment Monday on a possession charge in Berrien County court on the second.

He was supposed to have his arraignment between 2 and 4 p.m. According to court personnel, he did not appear during that two-hour window. Court personnel said it's not unusual for defendants to get some leeway in misdemeanor cases and another arraignment date could be scheduled. Ultimately though, a warrant will be issued for his arrest if he fails to appear.

"We are aware of the reports," said Lions spokesperson Bill Keenist. "We are gathering more information and have no further comment at this time."

Leshoure, who failed a drug test at Illinois in 2009, was the Lions' second-round pick in 2011. He missed his rookie season after tearing his Achilles tendon early in training camp. All reports about his rehabilitation have been positive.

Coach Jim Schwartz, at the NFL league meetings last week, said of Leshoure, "I never put timetables on these things but I would be surprised if he wasn't ready before (training camp)."

The Lions are supposed to begin offseason workouts the week of April 16.

A misdemeanor possession charge generally doesn't carry jail time, though Leshoure is likely to face probation and a stiffer fine. Once the legal action is complete, he also is likely to face punishment from the league.

According to the NFL's personal conduct policy, Leshoure could face a fine and/or suspension.

Both of Leshoure's arrests came after traffic stops. He was driving the first time and was a passenger the second time. Presumably, he was driving back and forth from his workouts at the Lions' facility in Allen Park to his home in Champaign, Ill.

On March 12, Baroda Lake Township police pulled over a 2012 Mitsubishi SUV driving west on I-94. Officers observed Leshoure in the passenger side "chewing marijuana," according to the police report. The officer also saw some weed spilled down the front of his shirt.

"He was cooperative," said Baroda Lake chief of police Gary Ruhl. "We told him to spit (the weed) out so he wouldn't get sick and he did."

According to the report, the amount of marijuana found in the car was minimal, just enough for personal use.

Leshoure, who turned 22 last Friday, was born inside Dwight Correctional Center in downstate Illinois, where his mother Jacqueline Frasier-Jones was serving time on a narcotics conviction. His father, too, was a drug addict and incarcerated.

Both were clean and present on draft day in 2011 when the Lions took Leshoure with the 57th pick. Leshoure has that date — 4-29-11 — tattooed on his left forearm.

"This is the date of the draft and it's never going to change," Leshoure said. "This is the biggest day of my life, by far. I have accomplished a lot of things in my life, but to be drafted by the Lions was the biggest step."

Leshoure is the second member of the Lions' 2011 draft class to get arrested this offseason. Offensive lineman Johnny Culbreath, also on injured reserve last season, was charged with marijuana possession in South Carolina.

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2012 ... z1qyXRo2Yi

And...

ESPN.com wrote:
Mikel Leshoure and the NFL's drug policy

April, 2, 2012 / 3:04 PM ET
By Kevin Seifert

We learned through Detroit-area reports Monday that Detroit Lions running back Mikel Leshoure has been cited twice this offseason for marijuana possession. The first came on Feb. 18, according to Dave Birkett of the Detroit Free Press, and the second was March 12. Leshoure paid a fine for this first citation, but was scheduled to be arraigned Monday for the second after he attempted to eat the marijuana to avoid a charge when stopped by police, according to the Free Press.

No, that final line is not a typo. But it's not as relevant as it seems as we consider the most important question raised by these episodes. Namely: How will they impact Leshoure's standing with the team and/or eligibility with the NFL?

No matter what you think of marijuana use, the NFL's policies tend to be less forgiving than the United States legal system. A player's status within the substance-abuse policy is confidential, but it is within the realm of its structure for Leshoure's first citation to have entered him into the program as a "Stage One" violator. The second citation could make him a "Stage Two" violator, which comes with an unpaid four-game suspension.

(Discipline through the NFL's personal conduct policy seems less likely given that neither citation resulted in an arrest.)

The Lions acknowledged the reports, but didn't comment beyond that. They have been counting on Leshoure's return from a ruptured Achilles tendon to help round out their backfield in 2012. They probably have too much invested in him to part ways over two marijuana citations, but they'll have to hope Leshoure hasn't pushed himself too far into the NFL's substance-abuse program in the past month. Stay tuned.

I'm very disappointed in this! Especially after the comments Schwartz made about him and his progress at the town hall meeting. I don't think it's to much to ask to not get high during your NFL career and I could give a rats pooper that he was born in jail. That just means he should know to stay out of trouble.

This just causes the Lions to find another RB; whether in the draft or in FA. It's not as if we couldn't have used the resources in another way.

As I said before; this just sounds so much like Charles Rogers. What a fricken idiot!!!

April 3rd, 2012, 7:35 am
Profile WWW
97.1 said it's two misdemeanors, which is probably what it would be pled down to even if he were charged with a felony, unless it is massive quantity.

FWIW the law is generally easier on "stupid"people that get caught twice in a short period of time. Most judges feel like there's a greater chance that the person just ran into a rough patch or had some bad luck when stuff like this happens. The dumb thing is this moron could have gotten his pot card and not been in any trouble whatsoever...

That said.97.1 also touched on a separate issue. T. Foster reported that he's a giant fatass.

Brandon Jacobs would be looking pretty good right about now...

April 3rd, 2012, 8:21 am
Team MVP

wjb21ndtown wrote:
97.1 said it's two misdemeanors, which is probably what it would be pled down to even if he were charged with a felony, unless it is massive quantity.

FWIW the law is generally easier on "stupid"people that get caught twice in a short period of time. Most judges feel like there's a greater chance that the person just ran into a rough patch or had some bad luck when stuff like this happens. The dumb thing is this moron could have gotten his pot card and not been in any trouble whatsoever...

That said.97.1 also touched on a separate issue. T. Foster reported that he's a giant fatass.

I smell RB in round 1...

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

April 3rd, 2012, 9:00 am
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

kdsberman wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:

I smell RB in round 1...

Trent Richardson?

NEVER GIVE UP!

April 3rd, 2012, 9:01 am
Hall of Fame Player

kdsberman wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:

I smell RB in round 1...

Not a chance! Richardson will be gone by the time #23 rolls around. Regardless, we need the help at OL & CB even more!

However, I could see a 2nd or 3rd round pick going to RB.

April 3rd, 2012, 9:06 am
Profile WWW
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

LionFan57 wrote:
kdsberman wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:

I smell RB in round 1...

Not a chance! Richardson will be gone by the time #23 rolls around. Regardless, we need the help at OL & CB even more!

I don't foresee Richardson being there @ #23.. however I didn't expect Fairley to be there @ 13 last year... just saying.

NEVER GIVE UP!

April 3rd, 2012, 10:24 am
RIP Killer

Can we bring in Ricky Williams as an insurance policy? hat36.gif

April 3rd, 2012, 10:28 am
Profile WWW
Team MVP

LionFan57 wrote:
kdsberman wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:

I smell RB in round 1...

Of course we do. But so did we last year when we drafted Titus and Mikel, and the year before when we traded up for Best.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

April 3rd, 2012, 10:49 am
Reply to topic   [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next