View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 24th, 2014, 9:46 pm



Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Nick Fairley Busted for Pot 
Author Message
Team MVP
User avatar

Joined: February 20th, 2007, 10:51 pm
Posts: 3362
Location: Saginaw, MI
Post Re: Nick Fairley Busted for Pot
thelomasbrowns wrote:
kdsberman wrote:
thelomasbrowns wrote:
People seem to be neglecting the fact that 2011 was the first draft class that didn't go through a real off-season program in their rookie year. Just as with the high number of injuries on the Lions and other teams in training camp/preseason last year, I don't think this is a coincidence.


Oh....So that gives them the right to posess drugs????

My theory: You get caught, go to jail. Simple.


Not condoning what they did, just offering up a potential explanation.


I understand what you're saying.

But in my opinion, there is NO excuse. None. Pot is illegal, therefore you CANNOT HAVE IT. They are supposed to be professionals, meaning they have to make sacrifices. But if they consider not having drugs a sacrifice, why the hell are they on this team? Unbelievable.

_________________
April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.


Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011


April 4th, 2012, 10:00 am
Profile
Modmin Dude
User avatar

Joined: December 31st, 2004, 9:55 am
Posts: 12141
Post Re: Nick Fairley Busted for Pot
kdsberman wrote:
thelomasbrowns wrote:
kdsberman wrote:
thelomasbrowns wrote:
People seem to be neglecting the fact that 2011 was the first draft class that didn't go through a real off-season program in their rookie year. Just as with the high number of injuries on the Lions and other teams in training camp/preseason last year, I don't think this is a coincidence.


Oh....So that gives them the right to posess drugs????

My theory: You get caught, go to jail. Simple.


Not condoning what they did, just offering up a potential explanation.


I understand what you're saying.

But in my opinion, there is NO excuse. None. Pot is illegal, therefore you CANNOT HAVE IT. They are supposed to be professionals, meaning they have to make sacrifices. But if they consider not having drugs a sacrifice, why the hell are they on this team? Unbelievable.
By your reasoning, considering as speeding is also illegal, therefore you CANNOT DO IT, then Suh should be dumped along with Fairely and LeShoure, right?

_________________
Quote:
Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right....


April 4th, 2012, 11:38 am
Profile
Team MVP
User avatar

Joined: February 20th, 2007, 10:51 pm
Posts: 3362
Location: Saginaw, MI
Post Re: Nick Fairley Busted for Pot
TheRealWags wrote:
kdsberman wrote:
thelomasbrowns wrote:
kdsberman wrote:
thelomasbrowns wrote:
People seem to be neglecting the fact that 2011 was the first draft class that didn't go through a real off-season program in their rookie year. Just as with the high number of injuries on the Lions and other teams in training camp/preseason last year, I don't think this is a coincidence.


Oh....So that gives them the right to posess drugs????

My theory: You get caught, go to jail. Simple.


Not condoning what they did, just offering up a potential explanation.


I understand what you're saying.

But in my opinion, there is NO excuse. None. Pot is illegal, therefore you CANNOT HAVE IT. They are supposed to be professionals, meaning they have to make sacrifices. But if they consider not having drugs a sacrifice, why the hell are they on this team? Unbelievable.
By your reasoning, considering as speeding is also illegal, therefore you CANNOT DO IT, then Suh should be dumped along with Fairely and LeShoure, right?


Dont start getting technical, Wags. You know I said drugs. Sure everyone does SOMETHING illegal here and there, but speeding vs doing drugs? Give me a break. Quit defending guys like this. If not, then I guess start comparing Suh to Sam Hurd.

_________________
April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.


Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011


April 4th, 2012, 12:01 pm
Profile
Player of the Year - Defense

Joined: September 25th, 2007, 3:20 am
Posts: 2795
Post Re: Nick Fairley Busted for Pot
TheRealWags wrote:
kdsberman wrote:
thelomasbrowns wrote:
kdsberman wrote:
thelomasbrowns wrote:
People seem to be neglecting the fact that 2011 was the first draft class that didn't go through a real off-season program in their rookie year. Just as with the high number of injuries on the Lions and other teams in training camp/preseason last year, I don't think this is a coincidence.


Oh....So that gives them the right to posess drugs????

My theory: You get caught, go to jail. Simple.


Not condoning what they did, just offering up a potential explanation.


I understand what you're saying.

But in my opinion, there is NO excuse. None. Pot is illegal, therefore you CANNOT HAVE IT. They are supposed to be professionals, meaning they have to make sacrifices. But if they consider not having drugs a sacrifice, why the hell are they on this team? Unbelievable.
By your reasoning, considering as speeding is also illegal, therefore you CANNOT DO IT, then Suh should be dumped along with Fairely and LeShoure, right?


The League doesn't have a policy against everything illegal, but they do have a policy against drug use. These players are wrong because they broke the law AND NFL policy. Even if it was legal, they're breaking a league rule.


April 4th, 2012, 1:00 pm
Profile
Team MVP
User avatar

Joined: February 20th, 2007, 10:51 pm
Posts: 3362
Location: Saginaw, MI
Post Re: Nick Fairley Busted for Pot
Well said njroar.

Thats why its so frustrating and no one should be defending them or coming up with excuses for them.

_________________
April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.


Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011


April 4th, 2012, 1:07 pm
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: October 20th, 2004, 4:16 pm
Posts: 9891
Location: Where ever I'm at now
Post Re: Nick Fairley Busted for Pot
kdsberman wrote:
Well said njroar.

Thats why its so frustrating and no one should be defending them or coming up with excuses for them.


+1

Sorry, but if you are defending LeShoure or Fairley for their possession/use of pot, you are a damn fool. It doesn't matter if marijuana use SHOULD be legal or not. Doesn't. Matter. FACT: It IS illegal, and it IS against NFL policy.

If your job was one in which you could be suspended or fired for smoking pot, and it paid you MILLIONS of dollars, would you take the risk of smoking pot?

I know these guys are young (kids, really), but in the same breath they want to be referred to as "men" and "professionals".

Then dammit, act like a "professional man" who has responsibilities and whose job is on the line.

People want to gripe about Avril hurting the team with his contract demands. Acts like THESE is what really hurts the team.

_________________
Driver of the 'we need a coaching change' bandwagon. Climb aboard.


April 4th, 2012, 1:15 pm
Profile
Modmin Dude
User avatar

Joined: December 31st, 2004, 9:55 am
Posts: 12141
Post Re: Nick Fairley Busted for Pot
kdsberman wrote:
Dont start getting technical, Wags. You know I said drugs. Sure everyone does SOMETHING illegal here and there, but speeding vs doing drugs? Give me a break.
Illegal is illegal, is it not? What you are doing is 'grading' the level of illegality, and that is natural as peeps don't like to think of themselves as law breakers.
kdsberman wrote:
Quit defending guys like this. If not, then I guess start comparing Suh to Sam Hurd.
Where am I defending anyone? I'm pointing out yours and others inconsistency is all.
njroar wrote:
The League doesn't have a policy against everything illegal, but they do have a policy against drug use. These players are wrong because they broke the law AND NFL policy. Even if it was legal, they're breaking a league rule.
Now this is the correct way to go about it. Again, all I ask for is consistency.
m2karateman wrote:
If your job was one in which you could be suspended or fired for smoking pot, and it paid you MILLIONS of dollars, would you take the risk of smoking pot?
You do realize that a large percentage, perhaps even a majority, of football players use cannabis, right? The only real difference between them and these guys is that they haven't been caught. If you're going to chastise these Lion's players, then make sure you chastise ALL athletes that use cannabis and other drugs illegally.

_________________
Quote:
Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right....


April 4th, 2012, 2:32 pm
Profile
Post Re: Nick Fairley Busted for Pot
TheRealWags wrote:
kdsberman wrote:
Dont start getting technical, Wags. You know I said drugs. Sure everyone does SOMETHING illegal here and there, but speeding vs doing drugs? Give me a break.
Illegal is illegal, is it not? What you are doing is 'grading' the level of illegality, and that is natural as peeps don't like to think of themselves as law breakers.
kdsberman wrote:
Quit defending guys like this. If not, then I guess start comparing Suh to Sam Hurd.
Where am I defending anyone? I'm pointing out yours and others inconsistency is all.
njroar wrote:
The League doesn't have a policy against everything illegal, but they do have a policy against drug use. These players are wrong because they broke the law AND NFL policy. Even if it was legal, they're breaking a league rule.
Now this is the correct way to go about it. Again, all I ask for is consistency.
m2karateman wrote:
If your job was one in which you could be suspended or fired for smoking pot, and it paid you MILLIONS of dollars, would you take the risk of smoking pot?
You do realize that a large percentage, perhaps even a majority, of football players use cannabis, right? The only real difference between them and these guys is that they haven't been caught. If you're going to chastise these Lion's players, then make sure you chastise ALL athletes that use cannabis and other drugs illegally.



You really can't tell the difference between a civil infraction or a misdemeanor? You DON'T think he should be punished for it, should he then not be punished for murder? Stupid argument, if you ask me... The fact of the matter is that there IS a "level of illegal activity" and its set fourth by the law. That's why speeding is a civil infraction punishable by a fine not greater than $250, and possessing marijuana is a misdemeanor punishable by a prison sentence not greater than 1 year, and murder is a felony punishable by life in prison. It's not that "everyone" does illegal stuff and "we" (non-law breakers) have to feel like we're abiding by the rules when no one does, it's that THE LAW ITSELF grades these actions and some are in fact worse than others.

I agree that a large percentage of NFL (and NBA) players use cannibus, but that doesn't make it right.


April 4th, 2012, 2:39 pm
Team MVP
User avatar

Joined: February 20th, 2007, 10:51 pm
Posts: 3362
Location: Saginaw, MI
Post Re: Nick Fairley Busted for Pot
TheRealWags wrote:
Where am I defending anyone? I'm pointing out yours and others inconsistency is all



Ok....so what did you accomplish by doing that?

Remember...im not the guy who just got busted for weed.

_________________
April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.


Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011


April 4th, 2012, 2:55 pm
Profile
Modmin Dude
User avatar

Joined: December 31st, 2004, 9:55 am
Posts: 12141
Post Re: Nick Fairley Busted for Pot
wjb21ndtown wrote:
You really can't tell the difference between a civil infraction or a misdemeanor? You DON'T think he should be punished for it, should he then not be punished for murder? Stupid argument, if you ask me... The fact of the matter is that there IS a "level of illegal activity" and its set fourth by the law. That's why speeding is a civil infraction punishable by a fine not greater than $250, and possessing marijuana is a misdemeanor punishable by a prison sentence not greater than 1 year, and murder is a felony punishable by life in prison. It's not that "everyone" does illegal stuff and "we" (non-law breakers) have to feel like we're abiding by the rules when no one does, it's that THE LAW ITSELF grades these actions and some are in fact worse than others.

I agree that a large percentage of NFL (and NBA) players use cannibus, but that doesn't make it right.
Just for argument's sake, check out what I found about Oregon's speeding laws (where I believe Suh was sited):
Quote:
Speeding Laws

A driver in Oregon is in violation of the basic speeding rule if they drive on a highway that exceeds what's posted or what's necessary in the event of weather, traffic or lack of visibility. Violation of this law is a Class B felony in Oregon.

Overall, if you go up to ten miles over the speed limit, it's a Class D felony. Up to 20 miles over the limit is a Class C felony, up to 30 miles over the limit a Class B felony and speeding more than 30 miles over the limit is a Class A felony. A Class A felony happens sooner if the speed limit is 65 mph on a highway and you go 20 miles over that limit. If you exceed 100 mph, you may get a $1,000 fine and suspension of driving privileges up to 90 days.


Read more: Oregon Traffic Laws | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/list_7455448_oregon ... z1r6CE26lJ
Granted, in your jurisdiction it may be a civil infraction, but apparently in Oregon its a felony. Looks like Suh did in fact commit a felony. So, again, should he be dropped like you're all wanting to do with Fairely & LeShoure? Consistency.

and btw, there is no such thing as a "non-law breaker". There are so many laws on the books it is virtually impossible for someone to go an entire day without breaking at least one of them; as a lawyer, I think you know that.

_________________
Quote:
Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right....


April 4th, 2012, 2:56 pm
Profile
Modmin Dude
User avatar

Joined: December 31st, 2004, 9:55 am
Posts: 12141
Post Re: Nick Fairley Busted for Pot
kdsberman wrote:
TheRealWags wrote:
Where am I defending anyone? I'm pointing out yours and others inconsistency is all
Ok....so what did you accomplish by doing that?

Remember...im not the guy who just got busted for weed.
More deflection? Nice. You accused me of defending someone and I asked for proof. Considering as you're not able to provide the proof, you come off, at minimum, as someone with an agenda.

Look, I understand peeps getting their panties in a bunch over this stuff. Its the off-season and we're all excited to see what our beloved Leos can and will do this year. That coupled with the CRog debacle, it is completely understandable, but let's try not to jump to any conclusions. I find it amusing how people like to pass judgement in most any scenario without knowing all of the facts. Could these be simple cut-and-dry instances? Of course, but personally, I'll choose to wait for all of the facts to come out.

Is it draft time yet? 8)

_________________
Quote:
Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right....


April 4th, 2012, 3:04 pm
Profile
Team MVP
User avatar

Joined: February 20th, 2007, 10:51 pm
Posts: 3362
Location: Saginaw, MI
Post Re: Nick Fairley Busted for Pot
TheRealWags wrote:

Is it draft time yet? 8)


I wish.

_________________
April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.


Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011


April 4th, 2012, 3:06 pm
Profile
QB Coach

Joined: January 13th, 2006, 4:18 am
Posts: 3216
Location: Maryland
Post Re: Nick Fairley Busted for Pot
LionsFan4Life wrote:
http://www.freep.com/article/20120403/SPORTS01/120403049/nick-fairley-detroit-lions-marijuana-arrest?odyssey=nav|head

That's 2 high draft picks in 2 days. WTF?!


Nice choice of words there. Two "high" draft picks.

Schwartz needs to reign these guys in. Hopefully they don't have any more issues. Wonder if they're gonna get suspended


April 4th, 2012, 3:19 pm
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: October 20th, 2004, 4:16 pm
Posts: 9891
Location: Where ever I'm at now
Post Re: Nick Fairley Busted for Pot
TheRealWags wrote:
m2karateman wrote:
If your job was one in which you could be suspended or fired for smoking pot, and it paid you MILLIONS of dollars, would you take the risk of smoking pot?
You do realize that a large percentage, perhaps even a majority, of football players use cannabis, right? The only real difference between them and these guys is that they haven't been caught. If you're going to chastise these Lion's players, then make sure you chastise ALL athletes that use cannabis and other drugs illegally.


First off, rarely do I defend any professional athlete for drug use. When Culbreath got busted, people were calling for him to be released and I said that it's no big deal because most NFL players smoke weed. I know this. It still doesn't make it right. And for the record, I have not said that LeShoure or Fairley should be released because of these recent events.

However, in all three cases, there is cause for concern. And especially so for LeShoure, who apparently not only didn't learn his lesson the first time, but also seems to not have taken care of himself in the off-season.

I could care less if every member of all the other 31 teams in the NFL smoke pot on an hourly basis. I don't care if they are flying it in by the ton from all over the world so they can sit at home and throw kilos of it into their fireplace and get high constantly. THEY AREN'T A MEMBER OF THE DETROIT LIONS! My reason for criticizing these guys, and for calling them out is based solely on who they currently have a contract with.

If a player from another teams gets busted for pot and released, do you get upset about it?

_________________
Driver of the 'we need a coaching change' bandwagon. Climb aboard.


April 4th, 2012, 3:27 pm
Profile
Post Re: Nick Fairley Busted for Pot
TheRealWags wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
You really can't tell the difference between a civil infraction or a misdemeanor? You DON'T think he should be punished for it, should he then not be punished for murder? Stupid argument, if you ask me... The fact of the matter is that there IS a "level of illegal activity" and its set fourth by the law. That's why speeding is a civil infraction punishable by a fine not greater than $250, and possessing marijuana is a misdemeanor punishable by a prison sentence not greater than 1 year, and murder is a felony punishable by life in prison. It's not that "everyone" does illegal stuff and "we" (non-law breakers) have to feel like we're abiding by the rules when no one does, it's that THE LAW ITSELF grades these actions and some are in fact worse than others.

I agree that a large percentage of NFL (and NBA) players use cannibus, but that doesn't make it right.
Just for argument's sake, check out what I found about Oregon's speeding laws (where I believe Suh was sited):
Quote:
Speeding Laws

A driver in Oregon is in violation of the basic speeding rule if they drive on a highway that exceeds what's posted or what's necessary in the event of weather, traffic or lack of visibility. Violation of this law is a Class B felony in Oregon.

Overall, if you go up to ten miles over the speed limit, it's a Class D felony. Up to 20 miles over the limit is a Class C felony, up to 30 miles over the limit a Class B felony and speeding more than 30 miles over the limit is a Class A felony. A Class A felony happens sooner if the speed limit is 65 mph on a highway and you go 20 miles over that limit. If you exceed 100 mph, you may get a $1,000 fine and suspension of driving privileges up to 90 days.


Read more: Oregon Traffic Laws | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/list_7455448_oregon ... z1r6CE26lJ
Granted, in your jurisdiction it may be a civil infraction, but apparently in Oregon its a felony. Looks like Suh did in fact commit a felony. So, again, should he be dropped like you're all wanting to do with Fairely & LeShoure? Consistency.

and btw, there is no such thing as a "non-law breaker". There are so many laws on the books it is virtually impossible for someone to go an entire day without breaking at least one of them; as a lawyer, I think you know that.



Uhmmm no... You're wrong... Even reckless driving in Oregon is just a "Class A MISDEMEANOR."
http://www.myoregondefenselawyer.com/cr ... s-driving/


Drug possession is a class "class B felony," even in Oregon.
http://www.myoregondefenselawyer.com/cr ... ossession/

I don't know where "e-how" allegedly got their information from, but that was flat out ridiculous.


April 4th, 2012, 3:42 pm
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Detroit_LIons, Falkes, Yahoo [Bot] and 8 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.