View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 24th, 2014, 8:03 pm

Reply to topic  [ 144 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Cornerbacks 
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Post Re: Cornerbacks
[quote]Top cornerback prospect Claiborne reportedly bombs Wonderlic test

I read a 2nd article about this yesterday that had interesting info.

1 Site did a 3 year test to see if there was a correlation between Wondeerlic scores and On-Field results based on position. They analyzed every player in the 02,03.04 draft.

They found No Correlation between High Scores and Success amoung any position that was at all significant. In fact the Only Significant correlation they found at all had to do with the CB Position specifically, where those with Lower scores significantly outperformed those with Higher scores.. a very suprising finding.

It may make sense if you think about the position itself, and what is more important.. Analytic Thought during a Game (which can slow you down in some cases) or Reaction Speed/Instincts. Ill see if I can find the article.

April 4th, 2012, 2:58 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Hall of Fame Player

ESPN.com wrote:
Memo warns teams on score leaks

Updated: April 5, 2012, 2:23 PM ET
ESPN.com news services

Morris Claiborne Scored 4 On Wonderlic Test

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell has sent a memo to all 32 teams threatening "significant discipline" to anyone caught leaking confidential information gathered on draft prospects to the public.

The Associated Press obtained the memo, which was sent on Wednesday night after reports that LSU defensive back Morris Claiborne allegedly scored poorly on the Wonderlic test. The exam is used by NFL teams to try to gauge a prospect's intelligence, problem-solving ability and cognitive skills.

Claiborne scored a 4 out of 50 on the test administered at the NFL scouting combine in February, sources confirmed to ESPN.

League rules prohibit officials from disclosing the results, but scores have routinely been leaked for years, both of the very poor and very high variety.

In his memo, Goodell stresses that Wonderlic scores, personal and family histories and drug tests are to be kept strictly confidential.

"You should be reminded that disclosure of inappropriate private or confidential information concerning draft-eligible players is conduct detrimental to the league and will be met with significant discipline when a violation can be established," Goodell wrote.

Much of the information is collected at the annual combine in February. But every year, as the draft gets closer, some teams and officials leak certain information in part to possibly influence how the draft plays out. A poor Wonderlic score or a failed drug test could significantly hurt a player's stock and change the perception of that player with the fan base of the team that chooses him.

"Bear in mind that the publicly disclosed information is frequently inaccurate, incomplete or misleading, and often results from an effort of an individual to advance a self-interested goal," Goodell wrote.

"What is lost in the pursuit of that goal is concern for the reputation and well-being of the young men who have worked so hard to reach their own goal of becoming an NFL player and concern for the reputation of the NFL and our game."

The first round of the NFL draft will be held this year on Thursday, April 26, with the draft continuing through Friday and Saturday. Now that the calendar has turned to April, the smokescreens, negotiations and subterfuge are only expected to heat up.

The players' union, players and some agents have been irked by the lack of discretion in the past, which can be difficult to police. Goodell felt it necessary to send a reminder of the rules that are in place.

"Disclosing this confidential information about draft-eligible players to the public can be extremely damaging to players, clubs, and the league," he wrote.

Claiborne's score is the lowest reported result of a draft prospect since Iowa State running back Darren Davis reportedly received a 4 in 2000.

In 2006, quarterback Vince Young, who was the third overall pick by the Tennessee Titans, reportedly scored a 6 on his initial test before retaking it and scoring a 16. Quarterback Dan Marino also scored a 16 and went on to a Hall of Fame career with the Miami Dolphins.

Claiborne's agent, Bus Cook, said Tuesday that he hadn't heard about Claiborne's test score.

"I haven't talked to anybody about it. All I know is that (Claiborne) was from a complicated defensive system and he flourished in it. I've never seen any sort of deficiency in him," Cook told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter. "I'm sitting here in shock at what you're telling me. And if it is true, how does that get out? I thought the commissioner was going to put safeguards on this information and there would be severe discipline if it ever did get out.

"I don't know if he scored a 4 or a 40. All I know is he's a great kid, he's smart, and I've been thoroughly impressed with everything about him."

An LSU source told ESPN's Joe Schad that Claiborne is a "visual learner."

"Mo has a high football IQ," the source said. "He just learns in a different way. He's a visual learner. He can handle playbook and scheme in the NFL."

So let me get this straight: Goodell doesn't want this data leaked because it changes the perception of the fans towards the player. :question:

All the teams have access to the same data, so understandably, that might influence their decisions as to where to draft a particular player. However, the last I checked teams generally keep it quiet as to who they're going to draft and they make those choices independent of what fans think anyway. So why bother?

I understand Goodell wanting to protect the player from embarrassment but it just seems that he's over reaching on this issue.

Sooner or later - even if it's after a player is declared a bust and leaves the NFL - this data comes out. Then the fans have only the team to blame for drafting a moron who ended up as a wasted pick.

Besides, ultimately it's the fans who are paying all the bills! Why is it fair for us to be kept in the dark?

April 6th, 2012, 5:57 am
Profile WWW

that is a low score even if you guessed C for everything

April 6th, 2012, 2:32 pm

Killwill25 wrote:
that is a low score even if you guessed C for everything

From when I took it I dont remember the wonderlic being multiple choice. Then again that was in 99.

I scored a 36, and im no genius, so it is pretty frickin scary seeing how some future millionaires score.

April 6th, 2012, 5:22 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
QB Coach

http://www.freep.com/article/20120407/S ... is-Round-1

It's tough to gauge what to do in this situation. He is described as the best cover corner in the draft and could fill a huge need for us if he has his head on straight. But once he gets paid I think he'll probably fall back into old habits. I think he ends up in Cincy.

April 8th, 2012, 10:24 am
RIP Killer

If Jenkins falls out of the first round, he won't get past Minnesota in the second round. And both the Rams and Colts could use him as well. Struggling teams will sometimes overlook character concerns to gain pure talent, particularly once they are past the first round.

I have a gut feeling that Jenkins isn't going to be Pacman Part 2. I think he's going to be like a Randy Moss...all those concerns about him, but he'll come into the league and play like a man possessed. It won't be until later that he starts to implode.

April 8th, 2012, 10:32 am
Team MVP

m2karateman wrote:
If Jenkins falls out of the first round, he won't get past Minnesota in the second round. And both the Rams and Colts could use him as well. Struggling teams will sometimes overlook character concerns to gain pure talent, particularly once they are past the first round.

I have a gut feeling that Jenkins isn't going to be Pacman Part 2. I think he's going to be like a Randy Moss...all those concerns about him, but he'll come into the league and play like a man possessed. It won't be until later that he starts to implode.

I agree. I am fairly confident he really is done with his BS. Though he isn't my FIRST choice, I think he would be a solid addition to our defense and would be an upgrade.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

April 8th, 2012, 2:30 pm
m2karateman wrote:

I agree... Like I said, I just don't buy that the kid "grew up" in less than a year. Great short term talent, but I think his career will mimic Pacman's...

April 8th, 2012, 2:51 pm
Modmin Dude

FWIW:
PFT wrote:
Report: Lions unlikely to take Janoris Jenkins in first round
Posted by Josh Alper on April 8, 2012, 8:11 AM EDT

North Alabama cornerback Janoris Jenkins would fill a pretty big need on the Lions defense if they took him with the 23rd overall pick in the draft.

And that creates a problem for the Lions. The biggest reason Jenkins could be available at that point in the draft is because he was arrested twice on marijuana-related charges in three months while playing for the University of Florida. That led to his dismissal from the school and, added to some other character issues, has led to Jenkins getting knocked down boards below where the draft’s most talented cover corner usually winds up.

The Lions are dealing with a bunch of headaches right now thanks to three members of their 2011 draft class getting arrested on charges related to marijuana and that’s making them gunshy about rolling the dice on character for a second year in a row. Dave Birkett of the Detroit Free Press reports that a team source told him there’s a slim chance that the Lions will draft Jenkins in the first round because of the red flags in his past.

That’s what we call a 180 degree turn in thinking when it comes to character issues in the draft and it is one that seems unlikely to be a smokescreen to make sure Jenkins falls to them. There aren’t likely to be too many teams looking to trade up above the Lions to take a risk on Jenkins whether or not they think Detroit is going to select him.

Whichever way the Lions go with Jenkins will be a risk. They just have to choose if they prefer risking losing out on a talented player for a safer one or if they like things the other way around. They went with talent last time and the results appear to be pushing them toward safety.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... rst-round/

April 9th, 2012, 10:48 am
Mr. Irrelevant

Get that dude fitted for a bengal's uniform. They love players who get in trouble with the law.

April 9th, 2012, 8:48 pm
Heisman Winner

TheRealWags wrote:
FWIW:
PFT wrote:

North Alabama cornerback Janoris Jenkins would fill a pretty big need on the Lions defense if they took him with the 23rd overall pick in the draft.

And that creates a problem for the Lions. The biggest reason Jenkins could be available at that point in the draft is because he was arrested twice on marijuana-related charges in three months while playing for the University of Florida. That led to his dismissal from the school and, added to some other character issues, has led to Jenkins getting knocked down boards below where the draft’s most talented cover corner usually winds up.

The Lions are dealing with a bunch of headaches right now thanks to three members of their 2011 draft class getting arrested on charges related to marijuana and that’s making them gunshy about rolling the dice on character for a second year in a row. Dave Birkett of the Detroit Free Press reports that a team source told him there’s a slim chance that the Lions will draft Jenkins in the first round because of the red flags in his past.

That’s what we call a 180 degree turn in thinking when it comes to character issues in the draft and it is one that seems unlikely to be a smokescreen to make sure Jenkins falls to them. There aren’t likely to be too many teams looking to trade up above the Lions to take a risk on Jenkins whether or not they think Detroit is going to select him.

Whichever way the Lions go with Jenkins will be a risk. They just have to choose if they prefer risking losing out on a talented player for a safer one or if they like things the other way around. They went with talent last time and the results appear to be pushing them toward safety.

Who's the third, I think I missed one.

April 9th, 2012, 9:03 pm
Team MVP

TheRealWags wrote:
FWIW:
PFT wrote:

I LOVE how these writers think they know this stuff. I mean, how do THEY know that Detroit wont take Jenkins? Its different if that individual person thinks it isnt likely, but to say "Detroit is unlikely to take Jenkins"..come on.

Are these writers in the Lions organization? NOPE.

Have they talked to Mayhew about Janoris Jenkins and how they feel about him and how he would fit with their team/scheme? NOPE

Do they know how Detroits draft board is shaped out? NOPE

I highly doubt Martin Mayhew as told ANY reporter that "its unlikely we'll take Jenkins".

I find most reports about what the Lions will and will not do a bunch of BS.

You mean to tell me that because Kirkpatrick had concerns about weed that the Lions wouldnt take him if he fell? Give me a break.

Im not saying they WILL take Jenkins, but i would not be surprised if they did. Off the field concerns or not, the dude can play football very well.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

April 9th, 2012, 9:05 pm
Team MVP

Culbreath

April 9th, 2012, 9:05 pm
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

kdsberman wrote:
TheRealWags wrote:
FWIW:
PFT wrote:

I LOVE how these writers think they know this stuff. I mean, how do THEY know that Detroit wont take Jenkins? Its different if that individual person thinks it isnt likely, but to say "Detroit is unlikely to take Jenkins"..come on.

Are these writers in the Lions organization? NOPE.

Have they talked to Mayhew about Janoris Jenkins and how they feel about him and how he would fit with their team/scheme? NOPE

Do they know how Detroits draft board is shaped out? NOPE

I highly doubt Martin Mayhew as told ANY reporter that "its unlikely we'll take Jenkins".

I find most reports about what the Lions will and will not do a bunch of BS.

You mean to tell me that because Kirkpatrick had concerns about weed that the Lions wouldnt take him if he fell? Give me a break.

Im not saying they WILL take Jenkins, but i would not be surprised if they did. Off the field concerns or not, the dude can play football very well.

As indicated in bold, the information originated from someone within the Lions' organization--not from a writer. This source presumably has access to the Lions draft board (or else Dave Birkett wouldn't be using the person as a source in the first place). With that said, one should note the specific language used in the article: "slim chance." Nobody has stated that the Lions "definitely won't" draft Jenkins. Birkett simply got word that there's a "slim chance" that Jenkins would be the choice at #23.

If the article said Jenkins "definitely won't" be the choice or if the article said Jenkins is "completely off the draft board," it would be much more news worthy.

April 10th, 2012, 10:39 am
RIP Killer

I think if Jenkins can somehow explain what happened recently with the whole changing agents thing, he may start to climb some boards. It still comes down to the fact that this kid has undeniable football talent, and has made mistakes off the field. According to allenslions, the Lions prefer Kirkpatrick over Jenkins. But he didn't say the Lions ruled out Jenkins entirely. There are opposing stories regarding what happened with the agent. Jenkins camp says they switched to be with a smaller agency to get more personal attention. That is understandable to me. His (former) agent, Ben Dogra, hasn't explained anything other than to say that they decided to not represent Jenkins. Personally, I find that EXTREMELY hard to believe, and think he's trying to save face.

Many analysts consider Jenkins THE best pure shutdown corner in the draft. That is a talent the Lions absolutely could use. However, with recent events involving LeShoure, Fairley and Culbreath one has to wonder if the Lions want an additional (possible) headache to deal with and the proverbial PR black eye that would come with it if Jenkins relapses.

As I said in a previous post, I think Jenkins will keep his nose clean, at least for a small amount of time, if for nothing else than to know that he'd be under the microscope from both the team and the league. Given his situation, I would imagine the team signing him would have some language built into the contract concerning them being able to void remaining years based on his off-field actions. I could foresee that team limiting his guaranteed money based on that.

I would hate to see the Lions take him, and have him be another Pacman. Then again, I'd hate to see them pass on him and have him go to another team only to become a perennial Pro Bowl CB that keeps his nose clean.

April 10th, 2012, 2:47 pm
Reply to topic   [ 144 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next