View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently July 29th, 2014, 7:02 pm

Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Fairely and LeShoure? Bus Tickets out of town? 
RIP Killer

Post Re: Fairely and LeShoure? Bus Tickets out of town?
allenslions wrote:
Ok this stuff about pot is so overblown.half the league smokes.I would rather have a player who smokes pot then one slaming beer.

While I agree somewhat, I'd rather they didn't have a player so stupid he ignores an arrest on possession and just continues to keep smoking. I don't consider that level of stupidity overblown. It's a serious concern.

I realize these players are young, suddenly having tremendous wealth bestowed upon them when many of them came from little to nothing during their childhood. That type of adjustment overnight can overwhelm even the most grounded and mature of men. But the NFL is supposed to have a great system of support and advice put into place. Just as these players have become rich overnight, they had better grow up and become smart overnight. This is their job, and it should be an honor for them to play in the NFL and fulfill the childhood dreams of the majority of men in the United States. Throwing that away for some mj seems extremely stupid and selfish.

April 7th, 2012, 10:25 pm
Hall of Fame Player

allenslions wrote:
Ok this stuff about pot is so overblown.half the league smokes.I would rather have a player who smokes pot then one slaming beer.

I really don't care that grass is their drug of choice either, save for the fact that it's illegal. The reality is that if these clowns were sitting in their living room getting high we wouldn't be having this conversation. The problem is, they took it out of the house and drove around with it. I'm certain many players in the NFL smoke but they aren't stupid enough to get caught.

Fairley & LeShoure both could have had their peeps carry for them or even bought it for them. There where 99 things they could have done to not get caught but they made a choice not to do any. To M2K's point; probably because they thought they were above it and didn't need to. That was stupid.

As to the point of this thread; they're not going anywhere because of the drug busts. No one else will take them for a reasonable draft pick or player trade. However, if the rumors are true that LeShore is fat, out of shape and not ready to play football; then that's a different story. Cut him and move on! If he looks like crap in practice - cut your losses and get rid of him.

April 8th, 2012, 6:17 am
Profile WWW
Varsity Captain

I agree getting caught with it in there cars while driving is compltely stupid on there parts.and as for lashoure the rumors are way off base he works out at the allenpark facility daily and is in great shape. :idea:

April 8th, 2012, 8:14 am
Veteran General Manager

All these posts. And no-one answered the question. If Fairely were in THIS DRAFT, WOULD HE BE THE 1ST DT PICKED?

April 8th, 2012, 9:30 am
League MVP

before or after his foot injury and weed possession citation?

before: i would say yes
after: no

April 8th, 2012, 9:48 am
Pro Bowl Player

Quote:

You have to be an idiot to get busted with pot just as a normal, middle class person. With the money/resources these guys have available to them there is no excuse for them to get in trouble beyond their own stupidity.

April 8th, 2012, 7:45 pm
Modmin Dude

Seifert wrote:
BBAO: Lions players to get another chance
April, 10, 2012
By Kevin Seifert | ESPN.com

We're Black and Blue All Over:

Detroit Lions president Tom Lewand spoke extensively during a Monday radio interview about three members of the 2011 draft class who have experienced legal entanglements related to marijuana in the past three months. Lewand indicated that all three -- running back Mikel Leshoure, defensive tackle Nick Fairley and offensive lineman Johnny Culbreath -- will be given opportunities to repair their standing with the franchise.

Via the Lions' website, Lewand said: "We expressed disappointment last week and I continue to express disappointment that guys put themselves in the position where they have to have an unpleasant interaction with law enforcement. That is something that should be avoided. But as we all know from life's experiences, it happens, people make mistakes, and you want to give guys opportunities to correct those mistakes, learn from them and move forward."

That's only fair, for as Lewand himself noted, the organization gave him a similar opportunity after a 2010 drunken driving arrest. The NFL suspended him 30 days and fined him $100,000 but Lewand retained his post atop the Lions' front office.

"You are held to a high standard," Lewand said. "I know that firsthand and I've learned that lesson myself. That's a lesson we all have to learn and we have to take it to heart when that adversity is there and when we make mistakes we've got to learn from them and grow as human beings."

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_ ... her-chance

April 10th, 2012, 10:34 am
Hall of Fame Player

TheRealWags wrote:
Seifert wrote:
BBAO: Lions players to get another chance
April, 10, 2012
By Kevin Seifert | ESPN.com

We're Black and Blue All Over:

Detroit Lions president Tom Lewand spoke extensively during a Monday radio interview about three members of the 2011 draft class who have experienced legal entanglements related to marijuana in the past three months. Lewand indicated that all three -- running back Mikel Leshoure, defensive tackle Nick Fairley and offensive lineman Johnny Culbreath -- will be given opportunities to repair their standing with the franchise.

Via the Lions' website, Lewand said: "We expressed disappointment last week and I continue to express disappointment that guys put themselves in the position where they have to have an unpleasant interaction with law enforcement. That is something that should be avoided. But as we all know from life's experiences, it happens, people make mistakes, and you want to give guys opportunities to correct those mistakes, learn from them and move forward."

That's only fair, for as Lewand himself noted, the organization gave him a similar opportunity after a 2010 drunken driving arrest. The NFL suspended him 30 days and fined him $100,000 but Lewand retained his post atop the Lions' front office.

"You are held to a high standard," Lewand said. "I know that firsthand and I've learned that lesson myself. That's a lesson we all have to learn and we have to take it to heart when that adversity is there and when we make mistakes we've got to learn from them and grow as human beings."

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_ ... her-chance

I see this as very fair and classy. Especially in that it's coming from Lewand who was also the beneficiary of the franchise willing to give someone a second chance.

In contrast, I think back to the Rod Marinelli days when Mike Williams was fined for being fat and late to practice and the drunk naked coach in Wendy's late at night was let off with a hand slap. To this day I contend that the double standard created a rift in the locker room and was the beginning of the end for Marinelli. The team lost any respect it had for him and gave up.

I would hope that these players see a very different way of doing business and treating people. I see this as a good move all around.

April 10th, 2012, 12:18 pm
Profile WWW
Modmin Dude

PFT wrote:
Nate Burleson will lay down some law to arrested Lions
Posted by Josh Alper on April 13, 2012, 10:15 AM EDT

The three members of last year’s Lions draft class that have been arrested on marijuana charges since the end of the regular season should clear some space on their calendar.

Wide receiver Nate Burleson wants to have a discussion with the trio — defensive tackle Nick Fairley, running back Mikel Leshoure and offensive tackle Johnny Culbreath — about running afoul of the law this year. Burleson thinks the Lions have come too far to let off-field things retard their progress and plans to share those thoughts with the players in private conversations.

“I’m a little bit different, I don’t want to put people on blast in front of the team,” Burleson said, via Dave Birkett of the Detroit Free-Press. “Sometimes you’re going to need to do that. Or a certain guy, certain situations, they need to feel that embarrassment of everybody looking down on them. But some of these guys that we saw on the board, these are good young men and I know that they’re passionate about being professional athletes, it’s just that they make mistakes.”

There were red flags about the possibility of those mistakes before the Lions added the players to the organization, but they chose to ignore them. They’ve gotten burnt by that this offseason, but if Burleson and other veterans can get everyone in line the fallout should have minimal impact on the year to come.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... ted-lions/
Great display of leadership, Nate! Glad to have you on board!

April 13th, 2012, 11:51 am
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Nice to hear this coming from Nate.

NEVER GIVE UP!

April 13th, 2012, 1:03 pm
QB Coach

This is why Nate needs to stay on the team!!!! He consistently provides this leadership and builds up those around him. He may not be flashy in his own right, but he does get the job done and leads those around him. Nate definitely needs to stay!

We don't need the S. Rogers fiasco of 5 years ago.

2 Chronicles 10:14, "if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land."

April 13th, 2012, 3:51 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

WarEr4Christ wrote:
This is why Nate needs to stay on the team!!!! He consistently provides this leadership and builds up those around him. He may not be flashy in his own right, but he does get the job done and leads those around him. Nate definitely needs to stay!

I'd like to think that the FO recognizes this when it comes to Nate.

NEVER GIVE UP!

April 13th, 2012, 4:18 pm
WarEr4Christ wrote:

If Nate wants to "lead" he should do it by catching the balls that are thrown his way. Sorry, but I see this as a worthless spotlight grab, and judging by his prior behavior I would be willing to bet that Nate smokes too...

April 13th, 2012, 9:38 pm
QB Coach

WJB: I'm not even gonna try to change your mind but there is plenty of TV evidence to the contrary. How many times did Nate come over and tout CJ on national t.v.? How many times has Nate stated he was willing to talk to X to the press? I remember reading at least 2. And these are just the one we see or read, there are probably many more behind the scenes I'm sure. Nate has been a blessing to this team in leadership, and catches. Last year he struggled, but the year before he was hot if I remember correctly. But no worries, you have your opinion and it is what it is. Thankfully we don't have any power when it comes to the roster, so if he stays or goes we have to deal with it either way.

2 Chronicles 10:14, "if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land."

April 14th, 2012, 9:25 am
Veteran General Manager

TheRealWags wrote:
PFT wrote:
Nate Burleson will lay down some law to arrested Lions
Posted by Josh Alper on April 13, 2012, 10:15 AM EDT

The three members of last year’s Lions draft class that have been arrested on marijuana charges since the end of the regular season should clear some space on their calendar.

Wide receiver Nate Burleson wants to have a discussion with the trio — defensive tackle Nick Fairley, running back Mikel Leshoure and offensive tackle Johnny Culbreath — about running afoul of the law this year. Burleson thinks the Lions have come too far to let off-field things retard their progress and plans to share those thoughts with the players in private conversations.

“I’m a little bit different, I don’t want to put people on blast in front of the team,” Burleson said, via Dave Birkett of the Detroit Free-Press. “Sometimes you’re going to need to do that. Or a certain guy, certain situations, they need to feel that embarrassment of everybody looking down on them. But some of these guys that we saw on the board, these are good young men and I know that they’re passionate about being professional athletes, it’s just that they make mistakes.”

There were red flags about the possibility of those mistakes before the Lions added the players to the organization, but they chose to ignore them. They’ve gotten burnt by that this offseason, but if Burleson and other veterans can get everyone in line the fallout should have minimal impact on the year to come.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... ted-lions/
Great display of leadership, Nate! Glad to have you on board!

It's only good if those players respect and see Nate as a team leader.

April 14th, 2012, 12:15 pm
Reply to topic   [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next