View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently December 20th, 2014, 1:18 pm

Reply to topic  [ 144 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Cornerbacks 
Team MVP

Post Re: Cornerbacks
I agree with M2 in thinking Jenkins will keep it clean. The thing is, you never know what you're gonna get with any player. And I think Jenkins would have a lot of nerve to screw things up now that hes been given this huge oppurtunity to not only play in the NFL, but to most likely be a first round pick.

Now im not saying that his off-the-field concerns are nothing to be alarmed about, but the way I look at it is he is a VERY good CB and we are drafting him to play football, not marry your daughter.

I honestly think that if Kirpatrick and Gilmore and Barron are gone, and Jenkins is still there, we'd be a little dumb not to consider him.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

April 10th, 2012, 2:57 pm
Color Commentator - John Madden

If it hadn't been for the Fairley, Leshoure, and Cullbreath incidents I'd be ok with the Lions selecting Jenkins. Now considering what did happen I just don't think the Lions can afford to take the risk. He may be the next Pac-Man he may be the next Revis but the Lions can't afford to do it.

April 10th, 2012, 8:44 pm
Player of the Year - Offense

Why can't they afford it? You think anyone with red flags won't have breach language in their contracts? Leshoure, Fairley and Culbreath won't miss any time. Someone being arrested doesn't make the team suddenly avoid anyone that has issues. The number of players this year with red flags is astonishing. We going to avoid everyone?

April 10th, 2012, 8:59 pm
RIP Killer

njroar wrote:
Why can't they afford it? You think anyone with red flags won't have breach language in their contracts? Leshoure, Fairley and Culbreath won't miss any time. Someone being arrested doesn't make the team suddenly avoid anyone that has issues. The number of players this year with red flags is astonishing. We going to avoid everyone?

It's one thing to have a red flag based on one incident. Jenkins has had multiple incidents.

And when he said "they can't afford it", I think what is meant that the Lions can't afford to use a first round pick on a player that they can't trust to act within the rules and keep himself from getting suspended due to off-field issues. It's one thing to think that a guy has a work ethic issue, or that he has lack of starting experience in college. But now we are talking about a kid who was so dumb that he got kicked out of the Gators football program because he just didn't "get it".

Personally, I have mixed feelings. I love his talent, and the Lions sure could use it in the secondary. But it's hard to ignore his past actions and what effect getting a boatload of money will do to him. If he returns to his criminal ways, the Lions will have wasted a first round pick on a kid who had the most obvious of issues. It's about the same as those who second guess the Jahvid Best pick. The Lions traded up to get a player they KNEW had injury issues. In hindsight, I'll bet the Lions would NEVER do that deal, nor pick him. They took a shot, and to this point it certainly has not paid off. The Lions can't really afford to "miss" on first round prospects like that.

April 11th, 2012, 11:09 am
Team MVP

Quote:
Janoris Jenkins “kept smoking” at North Alabama
Posted by Evan Silva on April 12, 2012, 7:17 PM EDT
Getty ImagesCornerback prospect Janoris Jenkins was kicked off the Florida Gators’ football team last April after three marijuana-related arrests. Jenkins opted against the NFL supplemental draft, and played his senior season for Terry Bowden at North Alabama.

But Jenkins didn’t turn over a new leaf.

NFL Network’s Albert Breer reports that Jenkins has revealed in pre-draft team interviews that he didn’t stop smoking at the Division II school. While the truthfulness is somewhat honorable, league executives weren’t exactly pleased to hear it.

“This is a multiple offender of the drug policy in college, and it’s not like there were no character concerns at North Alabama,” one AFC personnel executive told Breer. “He had multiple opportunities to get away from it. He didn’t at Florida, and he went to North Alabama and he wasn’t clean there. … It was more of the same.”

Several, if not most, NFL evaluators consider Jenkins the second best on-field cornerback prospect in the 2012 draft, behind only LSU’s Morris Claiborne. But Jenkins may not even be drafted in the first round.

“He gets to North Alabama, and he’s still smoking because he’s got this big-fish, little-pond thing going,” one NFC executive said. “I don’t see him going in the first round, and a lot of teams have him off their board completely.”

An AFC college scout told Breer that he doesn’t believe Jenkins is a bad guy. But he still would want no part of Jenkins in the first round of the draft.

“He’s not a bad person,” said the scout. “He just makes a lot of dumb, dumb mistakes. He just smokes and [has sex], and that’s essentially what it is. … And there’s just awful decision-making associated with that. I don’t think he’s a bad person. But he has a lot of soul-searching to do.

“I wouldn’t touch him in the first round.”

My thoughts have changed.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

April 12th, 2012, 8:16 pm
5th Round Pick - Traded

Great article find kds, and what great timing for it's release. I'm with you on staying away from Jenkins, the Lions already have enough tokers.

April 12th, 2012, 8:39 pm
Team MVP

Someone will gamble on him but I doubt he goes in the first round. Teams have had this info for awhile so most have already slotted him either later on or off their boards. I'll pass.

April 12th, 2012, 9:15 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Im with you guys. Pre that article I woulda been ok if they took him at 23. Now I would be ok if he makes it to our 2nd round pick taking him, bu our 1st Rounder HAS to be a producer with low risk. We should reach, but we should also avoid knuckleheads. JJ is a knucklehead.

April 13th, 2012, 3:27 am
Profile ICQ WWW
Hall of Fame Player

Post Jenkins didn’t turn over a new leaf
kdsberman wrote:
PFT.com wrote:
Janoris Jenkins “kept smoking” at North Alabama
Posted by Evan Silva on April 12, 2012, 7:17 PM EDT

Cornerback prospect Janoris Jenkins was kicked off the Florida Gators’ football team last April after three marijuana-related arrests. Jenkins opted against the NFL supplemental draft, and played his senior season for Terry Bowden at North Alabama.

But Jenkins didn’t turn over a new leaf.

Getty Images

NFL Network’s Albert Breer reports that Jenkins has revealed in pre-draft team interviews that he didn’t stop smoking at the Division II school. While the truthfulness is somewhat honorable, league executives weren’t exactly pleased to hear it.

“This is a multiple offender of the drug policy in college, and it’s not like there were no character concerns at North Alabama,” one AFC personnel executive told Breer. “He had multiple opportunities to get away from it. He didn’t at Florida, and he went to North Alabama and he wasn’t clean there. … It was more of the same.”

Several, if not most, NFL evaluators consider Jenkins the second best on-field cornerback prospect in the 2012 draft, behind only LSU’s Morris Claiborne. But Jenkins may not even be drafted in the first round.

“He gets to North Alabama, and he’s still smoking because he’s got this big-fish, little-pond thing going,” one NFC executive said. “I don’t see him going in the first round, and a lot of teams have him off their board completely.”

An AFC college scout told Breer that he doesn’t believe Jenkins is a bad guy. But he still would want no part of Jenkins in the first round of the draft.

“He’s not a bad person,” said the scout. “He just makes a lot of dumb, dumb mistakes. He just smokes and [has sex], and that’s essentially what it is. … And there’s just awful decision-making associated with that. I don’t think he’s a bad person. But he has a lot of soul-searching to do.

“I wouldn’t touch him in the first round.”

My thoughts have changed.

Good article!

This is not a promising 1st rd pick if you ask me. Even IF he comes out of college and stays out of trouble for a year or even two; it's just a question of time until he gets busted again and misses some time due to a suspension. The 3rd offense in the NFL is a whole year!! At this rate he'd have his 3rd offense by the end of his 2nd season. (Not to mention the likelihood of him having at least 2 more kids by then, which is a distraction that I don't even want to get into).

The good news is that there's no violent behavior (bar fights / guns / gangs / etc) but that could change too once he has a million bucks in his pocket.

If he was still there in the 2nd rd I might take a chance but he won't last that long.

Furthermore, Mayhew has said that character is an important ingredient and I seriously doubt he'd gamble any pick on this guy. And that was BEFORE LeShoure & Fairly got busted!

Last edited by LionFan57 on April 13th, 2012, 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

April 13th, 2012, 6:14 am
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

Based upon this information (if it is true), there is no question Kirkpatrick falls out of the first round. Definition of insanity: keep doing what got you kicked out of Florida, and think that things will get better for you.

He smoked his way out of some pretty damn good money. Hope it was worth it. I think he may even fall out of the top 50 now. What an idiot.

April 13th, 2012, 10:12 am
ST Coordinator – John Bonamego

m2karateman wrote:
Based upon this information (if it is true), there is no question Jenkins falls out of the first round. Definition of insanity: keep doing what got you kicked out of Florida, and think that things will get better for you.

He smoked his way out of some pretty damn good money. Hope it was worth it. I think he may even fall out of the top 50 now. What an idiot.

Fixed

April 13th, 2012, 10:16 am
regularjoe12 wrote:
m2karateman wrote:
Based upon this information (if it is true), there is no question Jenkins falls out of the first round. Definition of insanity: keep doing what got you kicked out of Florida, and think that things will get better for you.

Fixed

Hahaha... Nice...

I think someone (Bengals for sure) would take him in the 2nd round, if someone doesn't take a risk and grab in the first based on his talent alone.

Now, should this change our draft strategy? If we can stand pat or maybe even move down a bit in the first and get an OG/OC, and move up in the 2nd and get Jenkins he becomes a lot less risky. We could get a top flight OLman and CB, albeit with some risk associated with the CB. I don't mind taking "project players" after the first round, and Jenkins really isn't even a project, he just needs to learn how to live - he knows how to play the game.

That said, I'd still pass on Jenkins... I would worry about his poor decisions and drug habits creeping into other teammate's lives. I mean, can anyone tell me that this guy wouldn't be best friends with Culbreath and Leshoure? He's a known pothead, and so are they. I think it just encourages the behavior.

April 13th, 2012, 10:56 am
Hall of Fame Player

regularjoe12 wrote:
m2karateman wrote:

Fixed

That's funny. At # 23 I have zero interest in Jenkins. At # 54 you have my attention!! I just can't see him lasting that long tho.

All things being equal I'd rather have an offensive lineman with the 23rd pick anyway.

I fully agree; What an idiot!!

April 13th, 2012, 11:09 am
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

CBS Sports wrote:
Projecting the Draft: Detroit Lions

The Lions need cornerback help in the worst way, and former NFL defensive back Martin Mayhew, in his fourth draft as Detroit's general manager, should be in fine position to restock the position.

Beginning in the first round, the Lions are likely to have multiple players on the board that fill a pressing need in the defensive backfield.

Two options they've studied closely, Dre Kirkpatrick of Alabama and South Carolina's Stephon Gilmore, are the kind of big, physical corners coach Jim Schwartz and defensive coordinator Gunther Cunningham prefer in a press-bump scheme. Both players are ready to start, whereas the next tier of prospects, including Trumaine Johnson (Montana), might have a steeper learning curve.

The Lions do have other areas of relative weakness, such as offensive tackle, where Jeff Backus is coming off injury and closer to 40 years old than he is 30, and that doesn't begin to account for a revolving door at right tackle.

And as much as the Lions have the pyrotechnics to score with most anybody, they won't survive in the postseason without the threat of a running game. Jahvid Best, Mikel Leshoure and Kevin Smith have talent but all have significant question marks if cast as the team's featured back.

If an elite blocker is around at No. 23 overall, Mayhew might have to grab that player -- Jonathan Martin of Stanford or Riley Reiff of Iowa, for example -- and cross his fingers that he can get a solid cornerback in the second or third round. If the Lions want to contend and step outside the Packers' shadow in the NFC North, they'll need to hit on multiple early picks, which puts some unfamiliar pressure on the front office to score and score big with picks 23, 54 and 85 overall.

Five players Martin Mayhew and the Lions should contemplate:

CB Stephon Gilmore, South Carolina (NFLDraftScout.com overall ranking: 19)
The temptation will be there to draft Whitney Mercilus of Illinois or Courtney Upshaw (Alabama), two of the top pass rushers in the draft given Kyle Vanden Bosch turns 34 this season and Cliff Avril's $10 million franchise tender has caused unrest in long-term negotiations with the Lions. Gilmore size, long arms and the scouting perspective that he brings a very low "bust" factor because of his experience and skill set adds up to the sensible selection as a steady starter for years to come.

OT Jonathan Martin, Stanford (NFLDraftScout.com ranking: 24)
Martin has been losing ground to Cordy Glenn (Georgia) and Bobby Massie (Mississippi), setting up the potential for the Lions to grab a cornerback at No. 23 and potentially trade back into the first round for a prospect they covet -- as they've done in previous drafts under Mayhew -- to end Thursday night (April 26) with two of their top 20-rated players. Martin might not have the feet for left tackle or the fierce demeanor to hold down the right side, but the junior has upside and would instantly improve the Lions' leaky o-line.

CB Brandon Boykin, Georgia (NFLDraftScout.com ranking: 73)
A scrappy 5-10, 182 with return skills and better power than you'd guess from a Polaroid, Boykin can be a third cornerback or contribute on special teams as a rookie but has the drive and skills to earn a more regular role. He's going to be out-sized by elite receivers and might not enjoy practice workouts against 6-5 Calvin Johnson. But he's explosive in short areas and gives no quarter in man-to-man coverage.

FS Trenton Robinson, Michigan State (NFLDraftScout.com ranking: 113)
The Lions have closely scouted Robinson and improvement at the back end of the defense is vital for survival against the improved passing attacks in the NFC North. Robinson has cornerback size and speed but his physical style of play stands out at safety. In tandem with Louis Delmas, the Lions' safety duo would cover as much ground as any pair in the NFL.

LB Nigel Bradham, Florida State (NFLDraftScout.com ranking: 100)
The ranks are extremely thin at linebacker behind the starters. Re-signing Stephen Tulloch was key and incumbent starters DeAndre Levy and Justin Durant will be back, but only developmental linebacker Doug Hogue returns from last season's roster. Bradham has the trademark intensity to earn a starting spot and the athleticism to turn and run with tight ends. Where he'll make his mark with the Lions is plugging the hole as a potential run-defense anchor.

April 16th, 2012, 10:36 am
Profile WWW
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

The more I think about it, the more I think that it has to be Dre. If he makes it to 17, I can't see us not trying to get that pick from Cincy. He has the tools to completely take Wrs out of the game. I'd fully support trading up for him and hopefully throw in phonso smith in order to hold on to a pick or two

April 18th, 2012, 2:23 am
Reply to topic   [ 144 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next