View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 23rd, 2014, 1:57 pm

Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Vikings contemplating trading 3rd pick 
Pop Warner Vet

Post Vikings contemplating trading 3rd pick
http://www.nflgridirongab.com/2012/04/07/vikings-may-look-to-trade-3-pick-may-wait-till-draft-to-do-it/

I am going both ways as to whether the Lions would be interested in this trade. Ostensibly it looks like the Lions did very little in FA, but signing our free agents was a big step. You'd think there may be some draft time magic but what would we do with the #3 pick? Trade up for CB? That would be a big reach and would probably carry a hefty price tag. What do you guys think?

April 10th, 2012, 12:30 pm
Team MVP

Post Re: Vikings contemplating trading 3rd pick
I think in the rare case we did move up, it would HAVE to be for Kalil. Claiborne would be interesting, but why trade that far up when we have a chance at landing a solid CB at 23.

Again, it would HAVE to be for Kalil.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

April 10th, 2012, 12:59 pm
Mr. Irrelevant

Super hefty price. I say no. I'm sure that the Vikings know that they would be stupid to pass on Kalil anyway.

April 10th, 2012, 2:48 pm
RIP Killer

Imagine what the Falcons gave up last season to move up to #6 to get Julio Jones. Now add even more. That's what it will take for the Lions to move up to get the third overall from Minnesota.

Would Mayhew REALLY do that? Would he trade away that much for one player? And strengthen a division rival with picks in the process?

My answer is an emphatic NO!

I don't think the Vikings are interested in trading down that far anyways, based on what was said by the GM. I could see St. Louis possibly moving up to secure getting Kalil or Claiborne. Tampa Bay might consider it to make sure they get Claiborne. And I think there would be an outside chance of Miami panicking and moving up to get Tannehill, but I think that is very remote. Jacksonville doesn't have a second round pick, and in all likelihood is looking to move back themselves. And quite frankly, I don't see the Panthers or Bills being that anxious to trade up that far.

Beyond those teams, I don't see Minnesota trading back quite so far.

April 10th, 2012, 2:59 pm
Veteran General Manager

m2karateman wrote:
Imagine what the Falcons gave up last season to move up to #6 to get Julio Jones. Now add even more. That's what it will take for the Lions to move up to get the third overall from Minnesota.

Would Mayhew REALLY do that? Would he trade away that much for one player? And strengthen a division rival with picks in the process?

My answer is an emphatic NO!

I don't think the Vikings are interested in trading down that far anyways, based on what was said by the GM. I could see St. Louis possibly moving up to secure getting Kalil or Claiborne. Tampa Bay might consider it to make sure they get Claiborne. And I think there would be an outside chance of Miami panicking and moving up to get Tannehill, but I think that is very remote. Jacksonville doesn't have a second round pick, and in all likelihood is looking to move back themselves. And quite frankly, I don't see the Panthers or Bills being that anxious to trade up that far.

Beyond those teams, I don't see Minnesota trading back quite so far.

I am almost considering it a foregone conclusion that Miami is going to trade up to #3 for Tannehill.

Look at it like this. Miami has been rejected by Jim Harbaugh, Jeff Fisher, Peyton Manning, Matt Flynn, and Alex Smith.

I believe that Steven Ross will be convinced that Cleveland is planning on drafting Tannehill at #4. So, he will demand a trade up to #3.

Yes, Steven Ross is just a big enough dork to get dooped.

April 10th, 2012, 3:16 pm
Pop Warner Vet

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2012/04/martin_mayhew_says_detroit_lio_1.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+detroit-lions+%28Detroit+Lions+-+MLive.com%29

Mayhew says Detroit will not reach for players so it seems like a resounding no that we would trade up.

April 11th, 2012, 9:24 am
RIP Killer

chilledmonkeybrains wrote:

Trading up and reaching for a player are two different things entirely. The article never said Mayhew wouldn't consider moving up. If the Lions feel a player is available ahead of their pick that likely won't be there when they pick, and that player represents a value, they'll try to move up and get him. They tried last season with Patrick Peterson, and Mayhew made the same statements in the press before the draft, that they won't reach for a player to fill a position.

It wouldn't surprise me if the Lions were to trade up to try and get a player they think is worth it. Let's say the Lions have Stephon Gilmore very highly rated on their board. He drops past the Jets at 16 and the Bengals pick at 17...the Chargers are now on the clock. Mayhew thinks it's worth a third rounder to move up, and makes the offer to the Chargers because Gilmore is THE top rated player on Detroit's board and rates higher than the second rated player on their board. He will make the offer, and won't feel like he's reaching to fill a need.

April 11th, 2012, 11:18 am
QB Coach

Say the Vikings trade #3 to the Dolphins so they can get Tannehill. Where does Kalil end up then? The Browns and Bucs don't need a LT. Do the Rams take him at #6? Probably. But if he makes it to 7 do we consider moving up for him?

April 11th, 2012, 4:14 pm
RIP Killer

As for moving up in the draft, here is a recent article from my fellow Spartan, the Goose... a little Cowboys focused but hey he lives in Big D

Quote:
Rick Gosselin: In the NFL, the higher the pick, the better the player

The two words any Cowboys zealot wants to hear from Jerry Jones, when spoken sincerely, are "Super Bowl."

The two words any Cowboys zealot should never want to hear from Jones, when spoken in any context, are "trade down."

Trading down helped Jimmy Johnson build a dynasty at Valley Ranch in the early 1990s. But since Johnson's departure in 1994, every trade down by the Cowboys in the first round of a draft seems to have pushed the franchise further away from another Super Bowl.

Johnson traded down in 1990 and wound up drafting the NFL's all-time leading rusher _ Emmitt Smith. Johnson traded up in 1991 and grabbed Pro Bowl defensive tackle Russell Maryland, then traded both down and up in 1992 and came away with Texas A&M cornerback Kevin Smith.

But Johnson was a wizard in the draft room _ the rare NFL head coach with a better handle on the draft than his personnel department. He had a knack of knowing where he had to go to get the players he wanted _ up, down or staying put when it was time to stay put.

The Cowboys have not possessed that same trading acumen since Johnson's departure from their draft room.

Understand that when you trade down, you are leaving behind a better player on the draft board. You get quantity in the form of extra picks in a trade-down but you are losing the quality of the choice you are vacating.

And you win in this league with quality, not quantity. The higher the pick, the better the player. There are more Hall of Famers who were first-round draft picks than all of the other rounds combined.

The draft was implemented to ensure competitive balance. The worst teams got the highest picks. When you trade down, you are giving up the competitive advantage the NFL built in for you.

The Cowboys went into the 1995 draft with the 28th overall pick but traded it to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers for a pair of second-round choices. The Bucs took linebacker Derrick Brooks and the Cowboys wound up with running back Sherman Williams and guard Shane Hannah.

Brooks played in 11 Pro Bowls and helped the Buccaneers win their only Super Bowl. Williams and Hannah combined to start three NFL games.

In 1996, the Cowboys traded away the last pick in the first round to the Washington Redskins for the seventh pick in the second round. The Redskins took offensive tackle Andre Johnson; the Cowboys grabbed defensive end Kavika Pittman in the second round and center Clay Shiver in the third, a deal that didn't really help either team.

But the Cowboys passed up future defensive Pro Bowlers Tony Brackens and Lawyer Milloy, plus the all-time leading receiver of the New York Giants _ Amani Toomer _ by moving out of that 30 hole.

In 2004, the Cowboys were in need of a running back, and even though Oregon State's Steven Jackson was still on the board, the Cowboys traded the 22nd pick of the draft to Buffalo. The Bills took quarterback J.P. Losman and the Cowboys drafted Julius Jones in the second round. Losman and Jones are long gone, but Jackson is still going to Pro Bowls in St. Louis.

Then there's the 2009 draft, when the Cowboys traded out of the first and the second rounds. They dealt their first-rounder to Detroit in the Roy Williams trade and sent their second to Buffalo for two later draft choices.

That left the Cowboys with the quantity they obviously coveted _ 12 draft choices over the final five rounds. Three seasons later, only three of those 12 picks remain and none start: quarterback Stephen McGee, linebacker Victor Butler and tight end John Phillips.

The Cowboys also traded a pair of first-rounders to Seattle for wide receiver Joey Galloway in 2000. He wasn't the difference-maker the Cowboys expected him to be, but the two players selected in those vacated Dallas draft slots became an NFL rushing champion (Shaun Alexander) and a Pro Bowl pass rusher (Andre Carter).

Since winning their last Super Bowl, the Cowboys have traded completely out of the first round five times. Pittsburgh has never traded out of the first round during that same stretch and traded down just once. The Steelers have won two Super Bowls, three AFC championships and eight division titles since 1996.

Quality wins in this league, not quantity. The higher you draft, the better player you'll get. The 14th overall pick in the 2012 draft will be better than the 18th pick, 23rd pick or 51st pick. Staying put works in Pittsburgh. The Cowboys should pay better attention to what works in this league.

April 11th, 2012, 4:36 pm
Profile WWW
Team MVP

inheritedlionsfan wrote:
Say the Vikings trade #3 to the Dolphins so they can get Tannehill. Where does Kalil end up then? The Browns and Bucs don't need a LT. Do the Rams take him at #6? Probably. But if he makes it to 7 do we consider moving up for him?

No question the Rams would have to be the favorite.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

April 11th, 2012, 4:49 pm
RIP Killer

kdsberman wrote:
inheritedlionsfan wrote:

No question the Rams would have to be the favorite.

The Rams would definitely take Kalil, and move Safford inside to guard or to right tackle. I'd be shocked if they didn't, particularly with Jeff Fisher at the helm now. He understands the value of a solid LT.

April 11th, 2012, 5:24 pm
League MVP

actually i think saffold would probably move to rt and they d either cut jason smith or move him to guard. i bet whoever traded up to no 3 would take kalil and not tannehill. rams are probably going to end up with blackmon at no 6. bradford desperately needs some receivers and that would be a decent first step.

April 11th, 2012, 7:32 pm
RIP Killer

The Legend wrote:
actually i think saffold would probably move to rt and they d either cut jason smith or move him to guard. i bet whoever traded up to no 3 would take kalil and not tannehill. rams are probably going to end up with blackmon at no 6. bradford desperately needs some receivers and that would be a decent first step.

The Vikings won't trade the pick to a team looking to take Kalil, unless said team is offering a bounty of picks. The idea behind any team moving up to that spot is that they'd be targeting Tannehill ahead of Cleveland. My understanding is that when a team makes an offer to trade up, the other team asks who they are moving up for. If Minnesota has their heart set on taking Kalil, they won't make the move to a team targeting him specifically, unless they get a deal similar to what the Rams got.

As for the Rams needing a receiver, I agree. However, a team should NEVER pass up on a franchise LT over a WR if they are in the market for both positions, which the Rams are. With two picks high in the second round, the Rams could still land a solid number one receiver, and have improved their o-line tremendously as well.

As it stands, I don't think anyone will offer enough to Minnesota to get the third pick. They should stand pat and take Kalil. If they don't, then they're being pretty stupid.....which is fine, because it really benefits the Lions.

April 13th, 2012, 6:23 am
RIP Killer

m2karateman wrote:
However, a team should NEVER pass up on a franchise LT over a WR if they are in the market for both positions, which the Rams are.

Really? The Lions took CJ (2) over Joe Thomas (3) in 2007 - how did that work out? The next year Jake Long was taken with the first overall pick.

How are the Browns and Dolphins looking right about now? Both franchise LTs to be sure but LTs don't get you to the playoffs.

Then we had the next year (2009) with 3 top ten tackles - Jason Smith (Rams - 2), Andre Smith (Bengals - 6), and Eugene Monroe (Jaguars - 8 ).

You have to still look at the ratings of the player and not simply focus on the position.

April 13th, 2012, 10:46 am
Profile WWW
Color Commentator - John Madden

This is a lot of bluster I think more than substance. They don't want to take a LT, even though Charlie Johnson is garbage, and are trying to bait the Dolphins into making this move. I doubt St. Louis would make a move up. They are in a position to set up their franchise for the next decade with the haul they got from the Redskins. I'm not even sold that the Browns would take Tannehill at #4. They could take Richardson, Wright at 22, and then in the second round take Kirk Cousins/Brandon Weeden. Just sayin'.

April 13th, 2012, 12:17 pm
Reply to topic   [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next