View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently July 28th, 2014, 4:35 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Tigers Season Opener 
Team MVP

Post Re: Tigers Season Opener
aManNamedSuh wrote:
The Legend wrote:
hah - i said it didnt work out? where the f did i say that? billy was on here gloating about a spectacular play that wasnt. sorry to burst the bubble but cabrera's not a great fielder, it doesnt really matter the position he plays he ll always be below avg defensively. cabrera and prince fielder could just as easily spend some time at DH and have the same hitting effect but soften the blow defensively.

Who would then play 3rd is the question.

A side note, I just read that V-Mart could be back THIS year albeit late this year.

That would be insane.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

April 11th, 2012, 2:54 pm
League MVP

anyone see the ninth inning today? thats one of those plays where you wonder if someone else could have made and if that play is made its probably a tigers win

April 11th, 2012, 5:25 pm
The Legend wrote:
anyone see the ninth inning today? thats one of those plays where you wonder if someone else could have made and if that play is made its probably a tigers win

I don't wonder, I know that Inge would have made that play. I'm not an Inge fan, but that ball was within his range. Cabby knew it too... I was sitting 136 Row 10, and his body language went to hell after he missed that one.

April 11th, 2012, 10:23 pm
Veteran General Manager

wjb21ndtown wrote:
Billy, I think I told you that it would work out great, at first. Like I said, wait until the end of July, or wait until he takes another one to the eye... I think it's hilarious that FOUR GAMES into this thing that you guys think that there's a large enough sample size to say that it was a great move. Who's holding onto their prediction hoping it works? I think we're just adequately awaiting the results.

6 Games and 1 error with 1 outstanding play and another 1 in which he fielded a bunt and threw out the bunter, ( someone said he couldn't do that. Can't remember who.) All in all, he has had a very solid opening week.

April 12th, 2012, 10:45 pm
League MVP

outstanding play? you are crazy if you think that was an outstanding play. ill give him credit that he looks much more motivated defensively than he ever has before but thats about it. in 6 games he s made 1 error, missed 2 other balls not called errors that cost the team runs (one of which contributed significantly to a loss) that probably most major league 3b would make and nearly missed the easiest foul pop up you will ever see - looking like a fool in the process but at least he hasnt been hit in the face yet. he s made some decent plays ranging to his left but he is far from tested so far. robin ventura a former 3b will probably go after him this weekend when the tigers visit the white sox. on the flip side loving the fear that fielder-cabrera have put in opposing pitchers, the 5-1 record and fielder has actually looked decent at 1b defensively.

April 13th, 2012, 1:31 am
Team MVP

All I know is that Scherzer better step it up big time if the Tigers want to win on the road today.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

April 13th, 2012, 11:14 am
Heisman Winner

The Legend wrote:
outstanding play? you are crazy if you think that was an outstanding play. ill give him credit that he looks much more motivated defensively than he ever has before but thats about it. in 6 games he s made 1 error, missed 2 other balls not called errors that cost the team runs (one of which contributed significantly to a loss) that probably most major league 3b would make and nearly missed the easiest foul pop up you will ever see - looking like a fool in the process but at least he hasnt been hit in the face yet. he s made some decent plays ranging to his left but he is far from tested so far. robin ventura a former 3b will probably go after him this weekend when the tigers visit the white sox. on the flip side loving the fear that fielder-cabrera have put in opposing pitchers, the 5-1 record and fielder has actually looked decent at 1b defensively.

Okay I've finally been able to see the missed ball that "contributed significantly to a loss". You can't count on a third base man playing at double play depth to make that play. Sorry, it wasn't a horrible miss.

I think what is being missed here is that I don't think anyone is going to argue that Miggy is a gold glove third base man, but simply a decent enough glove to make the plays being asked of him. I don't care if he looks "like a fool in the process" so long as he gets the job done in the end, which he did in the outlined play. I'll ask once again if you want to replace Miggy at 3rd, who do you put their and who do you take out of the current lineup?

April 13th, 2012, 11:57 am
League MVP

I completely disagree with your assessment of that play, the ball was not hit hard. Cabrera was slow to react and when he did he had trouble sliding his feet and ended up diving...

In regards to your question its not a totally fair question and doesnt reflect on why my stance is as it is. As I said in the offseason - if Dombrowski had known there was 214 million to spend he could have gone after Jose Reyes and Aramis Ramirez and had money to spare. My criticism is No 1 to bring in Fielder with that amount of money and duration, if they paid him 40 million for 1 yr or 70 for 2 yrs and then see what the deal with Martinez is I would be happier. If Ilitch had communicated with Dombrowski the amount of money he was willing to spend on the market surely Dombrowski would have gotten help at 2B, LF, 3B and for a 5th starter. No 2 criticism is that VMart is for all intents and purposes done for the year so why rush the Cabrera at 3b scenario. It doesnt make sense to have Cabrera there full time until 2013 and even then only IF VMart comes back healthy. Leyland likes lineup flexibility - okay fine, rotate Cabrera at 1b/3b/dh and fielder at 1b/dh. Cabrera DHing or playing 1B could leave 3b to a number of players - Worth/Inge/Kelly/Santiago and they probably should have considered Raburn over there also. To me DHing Delmon Young to get Andy Dirks bat and glove in the lineup isnt a necessity. Young actually runs fairly well and has a big arm. Dirks has better range with a weaker arm. Dirks doesnt have a lot of speed or power and doesnt hit much better than Kelly and Santiago for average and has less pop than Inge. I like the kid but I dont understand why its so much better to have his glove in LF than having a considerably better glove at 3b. Finally I dont like to see the best hitter in the American League take balls off his face if I dont have to. You do realize how unusual that was right and not because of any coincidence?

April 13th, 2012, 8:00 pm
Heisman Winner

Well thought out reasoning. I understand your view point, but I'm more willing to see what happens with Cabby at 3rd. I will not defend that position if he turns out to be horrible, but my stance is I'd like to see how he does, I'm willing to allow a few balls more talented defensive players might have made go. Right now there currently isn't a better option to play 3rd, that just my opinion.

The ball to the face was the result of a player getting accustomed to playing 3rd base again.

I'm sure Dombrowski would agree with your regarding the money situation this past offseason. We'll never know, but for now I like Fielder and I'm glad he's a Tiger.

April 13th, 2012, 8:09 pm
League MVP

i like fielder too, was lucky to meet him (and i thought i was lucky that i met cecil) when we were both little kids and it blows my mind that at that time he was hitting bombs out of tiger stadium and is now a mega star filling the seats - then again his dad was a helluva lot more physically imposing than my dad so maybe that was inevitable but he is filling the seats and excitement is sky high.

watching todays game now, cabby biffed a ball with 2 outs in the 2nd, ultimately not called an error and didnt cost a run but if you are just looking at box scores you miss a lot of this and many times it results in runs. this type of play doesnt show up in stats but i saw it all the time last year from betemit while people seemed so happy with him, good news is i think cabrera is better in the field at 3b than betemit was

April 13th, 2012, 8:33 pm
League MVP

why do we have schlereth still????

April 13th, 2012, 9:53 pm
Veteran General Manager

The Legend wrote:

Not a Schlereth fan. But, you picked this game to ask that question. He pitched a great game until the 6th inning. But, Schlereth is usually good only for 5 innings. That was the case again today. And Leyland was apparently clueless about Schlereth being only a 5 inning pitcher.

Another beef I have about yesterdays game:

8th inning when we were at bat:

Jackson was at 3rd and Boesch was on 1st with Miggy at the plate with 1 out. (I had to Listen on XM Radio so I had to listen to the White Sox broadcast team). The White Sox Broadcast team called Miggy hitting into a DP before he stepped into the batters box. I was thinking the same thing. Why wasn't Leyland? I would have had Miggy take the pitch and have Boesch take off for 2nd Base on the 1st pitch. That would have left the White Sox with a decision. 1: try to throw Boesch out at 2nd base and let Jackson score the tying run. 2: Or just hold the ball and give Boesch 2nd base on defensive indifference. Either way, there would have been no chance for a double play.

The worst that could happen is that they somehow manage to hold Jackson on 3rd and be able to throw out Boesch. Not, very likely. Jackson would have been halfway to home plate the moment the ball was heading towards 2nd base.

April 14th, 2012, 11:26 am
Veteran General Manager

P.S. Just adding that the above scenario I just mentioned might have changed fortunes in the 9th inning. But, it might not have either. We will never know for sure.

April 14th, 2012, 11:28 am
The Legend wrote:

Schlereth is trash. I wish we would have gotten rid of him and gotten a real 2nd baseman and called it an offseason. We'll see...

April 14th, 2012, 3:35 pm
Veteran General Manager

BillySims wrote:
The Legend wrote:

Not a Schlereth fan. But, you picked this game to ask that question. He pitched a great game until the 6th inning. But, Schlereth is usually good only for 5 innings. That was the case again today. And Leyland was apparently clueless about Schlereth being only a 5 inning pitcher.

Another beef I have about yesterdays game:

8th inning when we were at bat:

Jackson was at 3rd and Boesch was on 1st with Miggy at the plate with 1 out. (I had to Listen on XM Radio so I had to listen to the White Sox broadcast team). The White Sox Broadcast team called Miggy hitting into a DP before he stepped into the batters box. I was thinking the same thing. Why wasn't Leyland? I would have had Miggy take the pitch and have Boesch take off for 2nd Base on the 1st pitch. That would have left the White Sox with a decision. 1: try to throw Boesch out at 2nd base and let Jackson score the tying run. 2: Or just hold the ball and give Boesch 2nd base on defensive indifference. Either way, there would have been no chance for a double play.

The worst that could happen is that they somehow manage to hold Jackson on 3rd and be able to throw out Boesch. Not, very likely. Jackson would have been halfway to home plate the moment the ball was heading towards 2nd base.

Self correction about Schlereth. I was thinking Sherzer in my comments about Schlereth.

April 14th, 2012, 10:05 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next