View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 2nd, 2014, 8:56 am

Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 1st Round Pick 

Who do you like?
Janoris Jenkins-CB 6%  6%  [ 2 ]
Nick Perry-DE 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
Luke Kuechly-LB 9%  9%  [ 3 ]
Cordy Glenn-G/T 12%  12%  [ 4 ]
Peter Konz-C/G 39%  39%  [ 13 ]
Mike Adams-T 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Mark Barron-S 30%  30%  [ 10 ]
Total votes : 33

1st Round Pick 
Post Re: 1st Round Pick
If we got a DE, without trading Avril, I would be really disappointed.

IMO the pick has to be OL or DB, unless they're bent on drafting Kuchenly and he falls and we trade up to get him, but I don't see that happening.

I would also support a WR pick, but he better be damn good.

April 12th, 2012, 3:30 pm
Heisman Winner

I have a feeling that the Lions will move up in the draft to get Dre Kirkpatrick.

April 12th, 2012, 4:48 pm
Team MVP

aManNamedSuh wrote:
I have a feeling that the Lions will move up in the draft to get Dre Kirkpatrick.

I couldnt agree more. I have a very strong gut feeling that will happen.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

April 12th, 2012, 4:57 pm
5th Round Pick - Traded

I'd prefer Gilmore, think he has more upside. Plus they may not have to move up to get him.

April 12th, 2012, 8:50 pm
5th Round Pick - Traded

Additionally, I wouldn't be surprised to see the top 3 corners as well as Barron already gone by 23. Then it will be interesting to see what they do.

April 12th, 2012, 8:57 pm
Hall of Fame Player

kdsberman wrote:
aManNamedSuh wrote:

I couldn't disagree more! This is Mayhew, not Millen. Mayhew lets the draft come to him with that first pick; 2nd round is a different story. You could see movement there.

Besides, IF the Lions moved up in the 1st rd, I'd be pissed if they didn't go for a top notch / low risk Offensive lineman vs Kirkpatrick.

April 13th, 2012, 6:30 am
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

LionFan57 wrote:
kdsberman wrote:
aManNamedSuh wrote:

I couldn't disagree more! This is Mayhew, not Millen. Mayhew lets the draft come to him with that first pick; 2nd round is a different story. You could see movement there.

Besides, IF the Lions moved up in the 1st rd, I'd be pissed if they didn't go for a top notch / low risk Offensive lineman vs Kirkpatrick.

LF57, I understand where you're coming from, but you have to remember that last year Mayhew made an attempt to move up in the first round. You also have to recall that he has moved up twice in the past two drafts to get players he liked (Jahvid Best and Mikel LeShoure).

If what allenslions reported about the visit Dre Kirkpatrick had in Allen Park, and both Schwartz and Gunner liked him a ton, it wouldn't surprise me if the Lions did move up a few spots to get ahead of Tennessee and Cincinnati's second selection in the round to get Kirkpatrick.

I'm not saying I would be in favor of it, but it wouldn't surprise me. I agree that the offensive line needs to be addressed more urgently in this draft. But there appears to be pretty good depth at OG in this draft, but not quite as good depth at corner. Unless Jon Martin or Cordy Glenn falls to us at #23, I don't see an immediate starting tackle that will be there. However, I do see some guards who may very well be there in round two that could start over Peterman (Brandon Brooks, Kelechi Osemele and Brandon Washington). Unless Jenkins falls to us in round two, I don't see a CB in this draft capable of starting immediately that will be there in round two.

In the end, you'd have to look at it this way...if both Kirkpatrick and Jon Martin are available, who would you prefer to see the Lions move up for, and why? I think Kirkpatrick is a more pro ready prospect, and will have a better career. Martin, although I like his technical skills, seems to lack a natural aggression, and at times has trouble with power rushers because of it.

April 13th, 2012, 10:08 am
m2karateman wrote:
LionFan57 wrote:
kdsberman wrote:
aManNamedSuh wrote:

LF57, I understand where you're coming from, but you have to remember that last year Mayhew made an attempt to move up in the first round. You also have to recall that he has moved up twice in the past two drafts to get players he liked (Jahvid Best and Mikel LeShoure).

If what allenslions reported about the visit Dre Kirkpatrick had in Allen Park, and both Schwartz and Gunner liked him a ton, it wouldn't surprise me if the Lions did move up a few spots to get ahead of Tennessee and Cincinnati's second selection in the round to get Kirkpatrick.

I'm not saying I would be in favor of it, but it wouldn't surprise me. I agree that the offensive line needs to be addressed more urgently in this draft. But there appears to be pretty good depth at OG in this draft, but not quite as good depth at corner. Unless Jon Martin or Cordy Glenn falls to us at #23, I don't see an immediate starting tackle that will be there. However, I do see some guards who may very well be there in round two that could start over Peterman (Brandon Brooks, Kelechi Osemele and Brandon Washington). Unless Jenkins falls to us in round two, I don't see a CB in this draft capable of starting immediately that will be there in round two.

In the end, you'd have to look at it this way...if both Kirkpatrick and Jon Martin are available, who would you prefer to see the Lions move up for, and why? I think Kirkpatrick is a more pro ready prospect, and will have a better career. Martin, although I like his technical skills, seems to lack a natural aggression, and at times has trouble with power rushers because of it.

Who to move up for? If it's apples to apples (same spot, same compensation) I think Jon Martin should be the pick, and that's mainly because 1) the importance of the position, 2) Backus' age, 3) and our lack of quality depth at the spot. I know Backus has been uber reliable, but he has been banged up the past two seasons, and he isn't getting any younger. I know people have spoken well about Culbreath and Fox, but I wouldn't want to count on them to start for any number of weeks if Backus should go down for a while, or even worse, have a career or season ending injury (basically the same thing).

M2 - do you really think Cordy Glenn can play LT in the NFL? I think he MAY be able to do it on a team like the Ravens that concentrates primarily on rushing the ball, but on a typical pass-heavy team I don't think I would want him playing LT for me. RT, hell yea, LT, probably not, at least in my book.

I agree that Mayhew "would" probably trade up to get Dre, but I don't think it would be a great move, for the same reasons that M2 suggests, the OL needs more help. We need to fix the damn OL.

April 13th, 2012, 10:54 am
Team MVP

Yes, we definetely need to fix the O-line. But if we did move up to take Dre, I would support that decision 100%. 1)because I trust Mayhew 2)We desperately need a solid CB 3)Personally, and for the same reasons M2 said, Im not a huge fan of Martin

Plus I still stick to my opinion that Martin will be gone before Kirkpatrick anyway.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

April 13th, 2012, 11:11 am
Color Commentator - John Madden

I'm liking the idea of Cordy Glenn more and more as I see him as being the safest player we could take. I do have some Aaron Gibson/Stockar McDougle concerns about his weight, though. It seems like he could play 4 spots on the line which would be very helpful. There are always players who slip through the cracks and drop on draft day. The Lions took advantage of that with Fairley last year. This year it could be Kirkpatrick, which we might be able to use as a CB or S.

April 13th, 2012, 11:18 am
RIP Killer

interesting take

MLive wrote:
NFL Draft Expert Interview Series: Jonathan Martin wouldn't give Detroit Lions true left tackle

As the NFL draft approaches, the mock drafts have a new name for the Detroit Lions to take with the No. 23 overall pick. Names like Dre Kirkpatrick, Janoris Jenkins and Stephen Gilmore – all cornerbacks – seem to have given way to another: Stanford offensive tackle Jonathan Martin.

The 6-foot-5, 312-pounder anchored a line that kept kept Andrew Luck – the likely No. 1 overall pick in the 2012 draft – upright. The Cardinal went 11-2, losing an overtime game to Oklahoma State in the Fiesta Bowl.

Luck was sacked just 11 times in the 2011-12 season. Naturally, Martin would be a perfect fit for Detroit's left tackle spot, which has been filled by Jeff Backus since 2001. Backus re-signed with the Lions for two years, but someone will have to take the veteran's critical position of protecting franchise quarterback Matthew Stafford.

Yet Martin would be risky, says Drew Boylhart, NFL analyst for The Huddle Report. Quite simply, the position he played in college doesn't translate to what Detroit would need him to do.

"He was in a college program that had two tight ends, blocking for Andrew Luck," Boylhart tells MLive, as part of the NFL Draft Expert Interview Series. "Seven players on the line of scrimmage, blocking. He really didn't do what a normal left tackle does. He wasn't out an island taking on the pass rushers, the quick ones. So I was never that high on him and I gave him a second-round grade."

It's not to say Martin has no shot to become a solid left tackle in the NFL. It's just not the slam dunk many would have you believe.

"It would be developmental," Boylhart explained. "You're going to have to get him stronger, he's going to have to show he can do workouts better and he's going to have to show he has that lateral agility which, to my knowledge, he hasn't shown. So he'll be there (at No. 23)."

Instead, Boylhart thinks Mike Adams will be hard for the Lions to turn down. The Ohio State product has some off-field red flags, without question, but he doesn't see Adams as being quite as risky as Jenkins, who Boylhart says he wouldn't take, regardless of round.

At 6-foot-8, 320 pounds, Adams has the potential to be a force at left tackle, even comparing with USC's Matt Kalil, who many believe will go to Minnesota with the third overall pick.

"I'll tell you this: (Adams) can play left tackle, and he can play it as a top 10 talent," Boylhart says. "If he's sitting there, it's very hard to pass on a guy like that. You will look for excuses to overlook off-field issues and hope that he may turn out because left tackles with his type of talent don't come around very often."

April 13th, 2012, 12:00 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

wjb21ndtown wrote:
M2 - do you really think Cordy Glenn can play LT in the NFL? I think he MAY be able to do it on a team like the Ravens that concentrates primarily on rushing the ball, but on a typical pass-heavy team I don't think I would want him playing LT for me. RT, hell yea, LT, probably not, at least in my book.

I didn't say left tackle, just tackles. Cordy Glenn could be used at RT as an upgrade over Cherilus, who could then either be released or moved inside to play guard and then release Peterman. Either way, our offensive line gets much better. I think Glenn is far more athletic than Cherilus, and hopefully far more intelligent. Glenn would DEFINITELY be an upgrade over Peterman, so once again, we win. I don't see Glenn as being a starting LT for the Lions, but at least we'd know he could step into the role in a pinch and not completely embarrass himself. He did play against some pretty good DEs in the SEC, and did pretty well.

I agree somewhat with the article that says Martin would be a project for the Lions, which I don't like. However, I don't agree that Mike Adams would be hard to pass on. The guy just isn't that consistent and has some major issues with bending. He doesn't move laterally all that well, and doesn't seem to use his hands all that well despite his pterodactyl-like wingspan. In truth, I'd rather have Martin over Adams, since with Martin at least we have a guy who will work hard. I don't trust Adams to do that, and see him as another Stockar McDougle. Tons of talent, but no desire to drive him to use it well.

April 13th, 2012, 3:33 pm
Hall of Fame Player

m2karateman wrote:
LionFan57 wrote:
kdsberman wrote:
aManNamedSuh wrote:

I'm really very comfortable with the BPA strategy and I think that most everyone agrees that (for the Lions this year) excludes QB, TE, WR & probably DL. All things being equal I'd hope we could get a quality OL or DB with that pick without having to spend any ammo to move up and get one. Based on the importance of the position I'd prefer OL over DB but to your point we'd likely get better value at DB with the 23rd pick and deal with OL in the 2nd rd.

Having said that, if I follow your own mock draft we could have Kirkpatrick, (and I'm fine with that) OR... potentially we could even slide back 2 or 3 spots and still be able to get one of your own top 5 choices.

I would prefer to use the strategy Mayhew has used the last 2 years and trade up from our 2nd rd pick to snatch a player of value.

April 14th, 2012, 9:11 am
Profile WWW
Hall of Fame Player

Pablo wrote:

"He was in a college program that had two tight ends, blocking for Andrew Luck," Boylhart tells MLive, as part of the NFL Draft Expert Interview Series. "Seven players on the line of scrimmage, blocking. He really didn't do what a normal left tackle does. He wasn't out an island taking on the pass rushers, the quick ones. So I was never that high on him and I gave him a second-round grade."

It is precisely that reason that he would fit Detroit like a glove.

April 14th, 2012, 12:09 pm
I really don't like the idea of Cordy Glenn at all. Maybe as a potential RT, but his weight issues and potential inteligence issues scare me. I'd rather draft a pure RT, or OG, or OC than draft a utility player with weight issues. I'd rather draft Kevin Zeitler, or Kelechi Osemele later in the draft than draft Glenn in the first round. I'm hoping he's gone (and I think he will be) and we don't have that decision to make.

April 14th, 2012, 3:47 pm
Reply to topic   [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next