View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently December 20th, 2014, 12:33 am

Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Fairely and LeShoure? Bus Tickets out of town? 
Post Re: Fairely and LeShoure? Bus Tickets out of town?
WarEr4Christ wrote:
WJB: I'm not even gonna try to change your mind but there is plenty of TV evidence to the contrary. How many times did Nate come over and tout CJ on national t.v.? How many times has Nate stated he was willing to talk to X to the press? I remember reading at least 2. And these are just the one we see or read, there are probably many more behind the scenes I'm sure. Nate has been a blessing to this team in leadership, and catches. Last year he struggled, but the year before he was hot if I remember correctly. But no worries, you have your opinion and it is what it is. Thankfully we don't have any power when it comes to the roster, so if he stays or goes we have to deal with it either way.

Most agree that he's not worth $6.5 million, which is what he makes. That's utterly ridiculous for his production on the field. Further, he grabs media attention every chance he gets. IMO he realizes that he increases his paycheck and his perceived worth for opening his mouth, and does so accordingly. Most of what he says is obvious BS. I really don't see it as anything more than pandering.

April 14th, 2012, 5:02 pm
Player of the Year - Offense

wjb21ndtown wrote:
WarEr4Christ wrote:
WJB: I'm not even gonna try to change your mind but there is plenty of TV evidence to the contrary. How many times did Nate come over and tout CJ on national t.v.? How many times has Nate stated he was willing to talk to X to the press? I remember reading at least 2. And these are just the one we see or read, there are probably many more behind the scenes I'm sure. Nate has been a blessing to this team in leadership, and catches. Last year he struggled, but the year before he was hot if I remember correctly. But no worries, you have your opinion and it is what it is. Thankfully we don't have any power when it comes to the roster, so if he stays or goes we have to deal with it either way.

Most agree that he's not worth $6.5 million, which is what he makes. That's utterly ridiculous for his production on the field. Further, he grabs media attention every chance he gets. IMO he realizes that he increases his paycheck and his perceived worth for opening his mouth, and does so accordingly. Most of what he says is obvious BS. I really don't see it as anything more than pandering.

He was slated to make $6.5 this year because he restructured to help the cap last year. He did the same thing again this year. For a veteran that knows contracts aren't guaranteed and to push off money to a point where WHEN not if he's cut and released, he will never get the full amount of the contract he signed, shows a lot. He did have more drops last year, but still caught a higher % (67) when targeted than CJ (63). CJ's made catches were just in more productive areas. I'm not saying in any shape or form that Nate was better than CJ, but its not like he slacked off. He's still the most productive #2 we've had in a very long time.

April 14th, 2012, 5:33 pm
RIP Killer

njroar wrote:
He was slated to make $6.5 this year because he restructured to help the cap last year. He did the same thing again this year. For a veteran that knows contracts aren't guaranteed and to push off money to a point where WHEN not if he's cut and released, he will never get the full amount of the contract he signed, shows a lot. He did have more drops last year, but still caught a higher % (67) when targeted than CJ (63). CJ's made catches were just in more productive areas. I'm not saying in any shape or form that Nate was better than CJ, but its not like he slacked off. He's still the most productive #2 we've had in a very long time.

Umm...Nate restructured so that his money was received as a bonus, which can be prorated. He got that money upfront, rather than as game checks. Believe me, he didn't put himself in any financial "harms way" by restructuring. Same with Suh and Stafford and any else that restructured. They aren't risking anything.

And while I agree that Nate has been a better second receiver than we've had in some time, it doesn't mean he's worth the money he's being paid. He's getting paid more than some top receivers on other teams. I've said the same thing about Corey Williams, and about Nate. I don't necessarily want the Lions to get rid of them, but I don't think they are close to being worth what they are paid. With all the complaining people are doing about not being able to sign free agents, there's a couple of reasons why. They are overpaid.

April 14th, 2012, 7:49 pm
ST Coordinator – John Bonamego

of course they are a little overpaid, they came to a franchinse that was a miserable laughingstock for 10 yrs before they got here. lets see a little bit of sustained success and groom the younger plays before we start shipping the people that contributed to the success out of town

April 14th, 2012, 8:06 pm
Varsity Benchwarmer

The Legend wrote:
of course they are a little overpaid, they came to a franchinse that was a miserable laughingstock for 10 yrs before they got here. lets see a little bit of sustained success and groom the younger plays before we start shipping the people that contributed to the success out of town

THANK YOU!!!! =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> I may have said 20 years but who cares lol

April 15th, 2012, 12:24 am
QB Coach

I guess it's a perspective thing, because I'd much rather have a team full of Burleson's who looks to make those around him better, than having a few Ochocinko/Owens types. Too bad we can't get feedback from Lions players who've played with him to see what kind of character and leadership he provides. We on the other hand can only gaze from the outside and make our judgments based upon salary and heresay.

2 Chronicles 10:14, "if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land."

April 15th, 2012, 2:20 am
RIP Killer

Boy, you guys just are NOT getting it. Where did I say "ship" anybody in my post? It's simply a matter of finances. The team still has needs, correct? Those needs can be solved, at least to a point, by the team signing free agents, or at least improving upon those they sign. If Burleson and CWill took less money, the team could make some of those signings they simply don't have the money for right now. Yes, I'd like to see both guys be more productive....but that could be said of about 45 of the players on the roster. And while having a roster full of Burlesons will get you a hardworking, harmonious team, it won't get you a winner. Talent is a big part of winning. Nate is talented, but you can't put him in the same league as CJ, Larry Fitz, or even Ocho or TO in their prime. I dislike Ocho and TO, but their talent was head and shoulders above Nate.

April 15th, 2012, 5:58 am
Hall of Fame Player

The Detroit Lions.com wrote:
Lions address off-the-field issues in team meeting

By Tim Twentyman

The Lions held a team meeting on Monday and head coach Jim Schwartz did address the off-the-field issues surrounding a few of the team’s second-year players during that meeting.

Schwartz briefly spoke about the offseason marijuana possession charges of tackle Johnny Culbreath, defensive tackle Nick Fairley and running back Mikel Leshoure (two separate charges).

Lions quarterback Matthew Stafford said Schwartz's message to the team was brief and simple.

"We've come so far. We don't want anything to hold us back," Stafford said of the message. "I think everybody knows that. Some of the guys that were having trouble are younger guys and they’ll figure it out. We’ll be there to help them along.”

Fairley, Leshoure or Culbreath did not address the team, according to Stafford.

“Like I said, these guys are young guys, but they’re grown men and they understand what they need to do, to do what they can to correct it and not let it happen again,” Stafford said. “Everyone makes mistakes, this is life, and we just make sure their heads in the right place moving forward and just get ready for the seasons.

“Anytime something like that happens it’s obviously disappointing and surprising at the same time. It’s a tough situation to deal with, but at same time these guys are going to get back to work just like we are and prepare for the season.”

I heard about this on the radio as well and the way I understood it was that Stafford took had a lead role in the discussion with the offenders. He was understanding yet firm. Great leadership. Very mature!

April 16th, 2012, 11:09 pm
Profile WWW
The Legend wrote:

But now that we're a respectable team we don't need to KEEP over-paying these guys, and over-paying these guys is HURTING the team. I would rather have Tracy Porter AND Michael Bush (or Payton Hillis) than Nate, and that's about what he's currently costing us - ridiculous.

April 16th, 2012, 11:30 pm
Modmin Dude

PFT wrote:
Mayhew says Lions won’t shy away from players who have used marijuana
Posted by Mike Florio on April 19, 2012, 4:44 PM EDT

Despite recent marijuana-related incidents involving the team’s top two draft picks in 2011 (Nick Fairley and Mikel Leshoure), the Detroit Lions won’t be shying away from players with marijuana in their past.

Lions G.M. Martin Mayhew explained the team’s position on Thursday.

“The league has really changed over the years,” Mayhew said, via Anwar Richardson of MLive.com. “If you go back 10, 15 years ago, and a guy had a positive test, that was a big deal. That was something to be very concerned about. It still is, but not at the level it was years ago. There are certain things we want to hear from guys. There are certain things we don’t want to hear from guys. It doesn’t help us to tell you [media] what those things are.”

The main thing teams want to hear from players who have marijuana in their history is that, if push comes to shove, they’ll stop using it. As mentioned earlier today, many teams care about marijuana use only to the extent that the player ends up being unable to play due to repeated positive tests, and the suspensions that inevitably arise. (As former Buccaneers and Colts coach Tony Dungy explained last year on PFT Live, some teams aren’t so quick to overlook illegal drug use.)

The other reality is that, for all the players who get in trouble for using marijuana in college, plenty more of them don’t get in trouble for it. Dumping players from draft boards simply because they got caught will disqualify a team from landing talented players who, once they realize the stakes, will put down the bong and never look back.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... marijuana/

April 20th, 2012, 1:30 pm
ST Coordinator – John Bonamego

gee...ya think he might be talking about anyone specifically?\

cough cough jenkins cough cough

April 20th, 2012, 2:12 pm
Hall of Fame Player

regularjoe12 wrote:

Either that or he's putting the idea that we would draft Jenkins so that another team trades ahead of us to take him and thus, let's someone else slide to us.

April 20th, 2012, 5:59 pm
BillySims wrote:
regularjoe12 wrote:

Either that or he's putting the idea that we would draft Jenkins so that another team trades ahead of us to take him and thus, let's someone else slide to us.

I highly doubt that anyone will trade up in round one ahead of the 23 pick for Jenkins. If we want him at 23 he'll be there, and, IMO he'll be gone long before our 2nd round pick.

April 20th, 2012, 7:51 pm
Varsity Benchwarmer

sounds like to me that unless these guys screw up again or Goodell puts the hammer down they arent going anywhere. Same thing for Burleson he's gonna be on this years roster so guys complain all you want :-({|=

April 21st, 2012, 9:16 am
Reply to topic   [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3