View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently August 1st, 2014, 4:04 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Tigers Season Opener 
RIP Killer

Post Re: Tigers Season Opener
Maybe you chumps missed the 2 stellar plays cabby made today...he stole a double from fukodome

April 15th, 2012, 10:20 pm
Heisman Winner

conversion02 wrote:
Maybe you chumps missed the 2 stellar plays cabby made today...he stole a double from fukodome

I didn't miss it, he made several great plays yesterday. The problem was he went 0-5, I want to see those plays on a day he goes 3-4 or so.

April 16th, 2012, 8:21 am
RIP Killer

I guess the fact that he's consistently among the top 5 hitters in the game in every category isn't good enough? The fact is, cabby has always stunk against CHI and god forbide the guy goes 0-fer a few times...verlander blew a win and got blown up in the 9th...why not bad mouth him? Because he's earned his credibility as a cy young and MVP.

FYI - just saw cabby snag a rocket against the royals. Also, he had a sweet bare hander that he grabbed and threw on the run yesterday against the sox

April 16th, 2012, 8:44 pm
League MVP

Co2 - any comments on Cabrera's play(s) last night?

April 20th, 2012, 9:26 am
Exactly... Like I said, wait until July. His offense at 3rd and his lack of defense at this point have been a wash, an $18 million dollar per year wash...

April 20th, 2012, 11:17 am
RIP Killer

And he's averaged 3 damn good plays for each bad one. You clowns crack me up.

What about avilas 2 errors today that cost us the game? Hell, he hasn't been hitting either! Let's run his rectum out of town too. Allstar, who cares, 2 errors, cost us the game and has hit for beans!

Why not scherzer, boesch, and everyone who hasn't been hitting or who has been pitching like crap? Why not fister, he's hurt and will have been out for almost a month when he comes back.

April 22nd, 2012, 9:16 pm
conversion02 wrote:

What about avilas 2 errors today that cost us the game? Hell, he hasn't been hitting either! Let's run his rectum out of town too. Allstar, who cares, 2 errors, cost us the game and has hit for beans!

Why not scherzer, boesch, and everyone who hasn't been hitting or who has been pitching like crap? Why not fister, he's hurt and will have been out for almost a month when he comes back.

I don't care if a player screws up, but the fact remains, we signed an $20 million dollar a year player to take over at first for a $20 million dollar first baseman. It's not that Cabby is committing errors, its that he WOULD be playing fine first base, and he's playing below average 3rd and his offense hasn't been great (just like I said... I said months ago that once he starts faultering with his glove its going to effect his confidence and effect his ability at the plate... and what's happening? He committed a couple of errors and now he's hitting for sh!t)...

That's the issue here. The issue isn't that a player is screwing up, the issue is that he WOULDN'T be screwing up at first base, and moving him to 3rd isn't paying off like it should have. If we would have signed a better than average 2nd baseman, and relief pitcher we would be further ahead right now than having Fielder at 1st and Cabby at 3rd, period.

April 23rd, 2012, 12:07 pm
League MVP

Quote:

I disagree. By my count he has missed 6 balls that would be routine for most major league 3b - that does not count his 2 errors. He has not made even one truly spectacular plays. He has made some decent plays going to his left on soft choppers that I am impressed that he can make but that practically any 3b can make. Categorize those how you want to.

Quote:

Yep Avila had a couple of terrible errors, what the f does that have to do with this argument thats been going on here about Cabrera's position change?

Quote:
Why not scherzer, boesch, and everyone who hasn't been hitting or who has been pitching like crap? Why not fister, he's hurt and will have been out for almost a month when he comes back

Yep Fister injured himself intentionally, lets huff and puff and blow his house down or whatever ridiculous thing you are going to say next. we re making a logical argument that Cabrera full time at 3b doesnt make a ton of sense right now. when and if victor martinez come back it makes a whole lot of sense but still you can look back and think that Ilitch was willing to spend 214 million in FA and rather than go out and fill holes at 3b/2b/lf/5th starter and top of the order the tigers sat on there hands until they had an injury. sure the fielder move has it its definite pros but almost nobody is willing to look at the obvious cons.

April 23rd, 2012, 3:38 pm
Veteran General Manager

wjb21ndtown wrote:
conversion02 wrote:

I don't care if a player screws up, but the fact remains, we signed an $20 million dollar a year player to take over at first for a $20 million dollar first baseman. It's not that Cabby is committing errors, its that he WOULD be playing fine first base, and he's playing below average 3rd and his offense hasn't been great (just like I said... I said months ago that once he starts faultering with his glove its going to effect his confidence and effect his ability at the plate... and what's happening? He committed a couple of errors and now he's hitting for sh!t)...

That's the issue here. The issue isn't that a player is screwing up, the issue is that he WOULDN'T be screwing up at first base, and moving him to 3rd isn't paying off like it should have. If we would have signed a better than average 2nd baseman, and relief pitcher we would be further ahead right now than having Fielder at 1st and Cabby at 3rd, period.

YEAH. His hitting slump has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that he was born to hit clean up, but, Leyland moved him to 3rd in the lineup. It's all because he committed 2 errors in 22 games that he is having the worst slump of his career. WJB? I know your smarter than that.

April 23rd, 2012, 7:00 pm
Veteran General Manager

The Legend wrote:
Quote:

I disagree. By my count he has missed 6 balls that would be routine for most major league 3b - that does not count his 2 errors. He has not made even one truly spectacular plays. He has made some decent plays going to his left on soft choppers that I am impressed that he can make but that practically any 3b can make. Categorize those how you want to.

Unfortunately for you, MLB doesn't go by "YOUR" count.

And you are tilting what you consider a spectacular play so far your way that in your eyes, Cabrera will never make a spectacular play at 3rd. All because you are unwilling to admit that you were wrong about all the doom and gloom you predicted about Cabrera at 3rd base.

April 23rd, 2012, 7:05 pm
League MVP

First of all billy boy its too early to tell anything. I could be completely wrong and Cabrera could improve throughout the season to Gold Glove status. But up until now he is missing balls that most 3b would get. I watch about 60% of the games usually and I have seen clear plays that he hasnt gotten his glove on that most players get. Your statement that MLB disagrees shows how much you actually know about baseball - official scorers rarely call an error unless the ball is mishandled by the fielder ie a pop up that goes uncaught or a grounder under the glove very rarely are called errors. This is why fielding percentage is such a stupid stat - it only reflects stats on balls that the player actually fields. Cabrera has good hands - I ve said that all along - because of that and the way that fielding percentage is calculated he will not have an excessive number of errors. I predict something in the mid 20s. Thats not the problem - the problem is all these plays that dont end up in the box score. The game I referred to previously was a classic one where Cabrera blew multiple plays without anything being called an "error" by the official scorer. Get your nose out of the box scores and watch a full series then come back and talk.

April 23rd, 2012, 7:53 pm
League MVP

usually dont like drew sharp to much but he points out 3 examples in one game of mistakes by cabrere not "counted by MLB as errors"

Quote:
http://www.freep.com/article/20120421/SPORTS02/204210418/Drew-Sharp-Glove-hurts?odyssey=topicpage

Quote:
Those weren't exactly rockets that Texas blistered through the Tigers' infield in the first inning Thursday.

They were makeable plays the Tigers didn't make, fulfilling the skepticism surrounding The Grand Experiment -- for one night anyway.

Miguel Cabrera was a statue at third base, doing quite the impressive Brad Stuart impersonation.

Two grounders he should have at least knocked down rolled into leftfield for singles.

If the torment ended then, all could have been more easily forgotten.

But later, Cabrera attempted a difficult force play at second when he was probably better off going to first, and his throw pulled Ramon Santiago off the bag.

Cabrera angrily smacked his glove.

He wasn't the lone perpetrator of defensive butchery.

Santiago and Prince Fielder muffed relatively easy balls hit at them.

The Rangers resemble the Tigers in that you cannot give that octane-charged lineup extra outs or they'll bury you in a barrage of offensive firepower.

When you've played as well as the Tigers through the first 12 games, it's inevitable that you'll cough up a bad one. But the ugly particulars of this 10-3 loss would more comfortably roll off everyone's shoulders if it hadn't accentuated the primary concerns facing this team.

Don't blame rookie Adam Wilk for this one. If anything, the infielders owe him an apology.

Someone who pitches to contact is only as effective as the fielders behind him, and they didn't have the young man's back.

"They didn't hit the ball too extremely hard off me," Wilk said. "I try to get as many ground balls as I can. I was able to do that, but they just found holes tonight."

It was never about the errors that Cabrera might commit at third. It was about the grounders that others would've stopped that get by him for crucial hits.

This was without question his worst defensive game of the season.

He succinctly referred to his throwing error as "a tough play."

Cabrera's understandably sensitive about his defense.

This game notwithstanding, he hasn't been a horror show at third base. He has worked very hard and has made some pretty good plays.

But overall sound team defense can't be casually dismissed, especially on those occasions when the Tigers can't consistently crush the ball enough against the better teams like Texas to hit through their defensive inadequacies.

Once again, the Tigers couldn't generate more than three runs against an opposing starting pitcher. Japanese import Yu Darvish had his best outing of his pubescent major league career, going beyond six innings for the first time.

Good pitching and defense remain the constants.

How much longer can they keep giving Daniel Schlereth the ball out of the bullpen? He gave up five runs off five hits and two walks in one inning. Who cares if he's one of the few competent lefties in the upper branches of the organization if he can't trust his fastball when he needs a strike?

Jim Leyland wrote it off as just one of those nights when his team simply got its butt kicked up one end and down the other.

It's too bad Wilk couldn't get a fair assessment. He knows batters are going to hit him, meaning he must trust those guys behind him will do their jobs defensively.

They didn't Thursday.

April 23rd, 2012, 8:02 pm
Veteran General Manager

The Legend wrote:
usually dont like drew sharp to much but he points out 3 examples in one game of mistakes by cabrere not "counted by MLB as errors"

Quote:
http://www.freep.com/article/20120421/SPORTS02/204210418/Drew-Sharp-Glove-hurts?odyssey=topicpage

Quote:
Those weren't exactly rockets that Texas blistered through the Tigers' infield in the first inning Thursday.

They were makeable plays the Tigers didn't make, fulfilling the skepticism surrounding The Grand Experiment -- for one night anyway.

Miguel Cabrera was a statue at third base, doing quite the impressive Brad Stuart impersonation.

Two grounders he should have at least knocked down rolled into leftfield for singles.

If the torment ended then, all could have been more easily forgotten.

But later, Cabrera attempted a difficult force play at second when he was probably better off going to first, and his throw pulled Ramon Santiago off the bag.

Cabrera angrily smacked his glove.

He wasn't the lone perpetrator of defensive butchery.

Santiago and Prince Fielder muffed relatively easy balls hit at them.

The Rangers resemble the Tigers in that you cannot give that octane-charged lineup extra outs or they'll bury you in a barrage of offensive firepower.

When you've played as well as the Tigers through the first 12 games, it's inevitable that you'll cough up a bad one. But the ugly particulars of this 10-3 loss would more comfortably roll off everyone's shoulders if it hadn't accentuated the primary concerns facing this team.

Don't blame rookie Adam Wilk for this one. If anything, the infielders owe him an apology.

Someone who pitches to contact is only as effective as the fielders behind him, and they didn't have the young man's back.

"They didn't hit the ball too extremely hard off me," Wilk said. "I try to get as many ground balls as I can. I was able to do that, but they just found holes tonight."

It was never about the errors that Cabrera might commit at third. It was about the grounders that others would've stopped that get by him for crucial hits.

This was without question his worst defensive game of the season.

He succinctly referred to his throwing error as "a tough play."

Cabrera's understandably sensitive about his defense.

This game notwithstanding, he hasn't been a horror show at third base. He has worked very hard and has made some pretty good plays.

But overall sound team defense can't be casually dismissed, especially on those occasions when the Tigers can't consistently crush the ball enough against the better teams like Texas to hit through their defensive inadequacies.

Once again, the Tigers couldn't generate more than three runs against an opposing starting pitcher. Japanese import Yu Darvish had his best outing of his pubescent major league career, going beyond six innings for the first time.

Good pitching and defense remain the constants.

How much longer can they keep giving Daniel Schlereth the ball out of the bullpen? He gave up five runs off five hits and two walks in one inning. Who cares if he's one of the few competent lefties in the upper branches of the organization if he can't trust his fastball when he needs a strike?

Jim Leyland wrote it off as just one of those nights when his team simply got its butt kicked up one end and down the other.

It's too bad Wilk couldn't get a fair assessment. He knows batters are going to hit him, meaning he must trust those guys behind him will do their jobs defensively.

They didn't Thursday.

So, you stoop to quoting that hack "attack" journalist, Drew Sharpe?

He would sell his own mother into the sex slave market if he could win a pulitzer from it.

April 23rd, 2012, 8:20 pm
League MVP

i already disclaimed that, learn to read. also if you watched that game you would have seen multiple examples of cabrera not getting it done in the field.

April 23rd, 2012, 9:58 pm
BillySims wrote:
YEAH. His hitting slump has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that he was born to hit clean up, but, Leyland moved him to 3rd in the lineup. It's all because he committed 2 errors in 22 games that he is having the worst slump of his career. WJB? I know your smarter than that.

If you really think that his batting slump is from Leyland moving him up one batting slot to 3rd in the lineup, then I really have to question how much baseball you've played and even how much baseball you've watched. Jim moves the lineup around all the time, usually to BOOST production at the plate, and it usually works. However, when players are asked to switch positions, even switching from playing in the field to DHing, it has a HUGE effect on their ability at the plate.

I was at the April 11th game at Comerica Park, and I was sitting right by 3rd base when Cabby blew a ball of moderate difficulty (I would say 70% of the 3rd basemen in the league would have gotten it... it was a ball that only the more unathletic power 3rd basemen would miss) that would have NOT allowed TB to take later take the lead, and ultimate win the game. He got up and wouldn't look anyone in the eye. He was nervously looking around, staring at the ground, and you could tell that HE knew that he should have had that ball. Missing plays like that effects his confidence and you have to have your head in the game and your confidence in tact when you're at the plate. Clearly Cabbera has not been that way, and IMO it IS because of his issues with his glove.

April 24th, 2012, 4:52 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next