View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently August 23rd, 2014, 3:08 pm

Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Interactive Mock Draft 2012 - Lions are On the Clock 
Baton Girl

Post Interactive Mock Draft 2012 - Lions are On the Clock
Hey guys, I don't know if you may remember from last year or not when we ran the Interactive Mock Draft where the team forums of each team got to vote on which player their team should take.

Well we are doing it again this year, and the Lions are on the clock. For most of these votes, it's been pretty cut and dry but this pick is going to be interesting. Lots of potential options here, I'm curios to see how you guys vote.

You can cast your vote for who you want your team to pick here:

http://www.footballdraftnotebook.com/InteractiveMockDraft.html

And if you explain why with a brief short description, I will pick the best one and publish it along with the pick in the results section!

April 15th, 2012, 12:42 pm
Profile WWW
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

Post Re: Interactive Mock Draft 2012 - Lions are On the Clock
I don't like the options here. I'd take Vinny Curry or Kevin Zeitler ahead of any of the players listed.

April 15th, 2012, 2:16 pm
Team MVP

mwill2 wrote:
I don't like the options here. I'd take Vinny Curry or Kevin Zeitler ahead of any of the players listed.

I agree. Where is Dre Kirkpatrick, Stephen Gilmore, Vinny Curry, and mark Barron on that list?

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

April 15th, 2012, 4:53 pm

kdsberman wrote:
mwill2 wrote:

I agree. Where is Dre Kirkpatrick, Stephen Gilmore, Vinny Curry, and mark Barron on that list?

If you look at the results of the draft so far, Kirkpatrick, Gilmore, and Barron aren't available at #23. If the draft falls this way, I'd want Curry.

April 15th, 2012, 5:27 pm
Veteran General Manager

kdsberman wrote:
mwill2 wrote:

Already drafted before our pick.

By clicking here: http://www.footballdraftnotebook.com/InterativeMockVotingHistory.html

You can see how the teams ahead of us voted.

April 15th, 2012, 5:28 pm
That draft would pretty much be a worse case scenario for the Lions. Poe would clearly be the BPA, and he plays DT, the WORST possible position for us. At that point I think we'd have to go Peter Konz or Martin, but I would prefer we trade down 3-5 spots and take Konz or Martin around 28, if that looked feasible.

That said, if we were STUCK at 23, I'd take Martin (which is who I voted for, and the lead vote getter), plan on playing him at LG this year and move him to LT next year.

April 15th, 2012, 5:38 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

wjb21ndtown wrote:
That draft would pretty much be a worse case scenario for the Lions. Poe would clearly be the BPA, and he plays DT, the WORST possible position for us. At that point I think we'd have to go Peter Konz or Martin, but I would prefer we trade down 3-5 spots and take Konz or Martin around 28, if that looked feasible.

That said, if we were STUCK at 23, I'd take Martin (which is who I voted for, and the lead vote getter), plan on playing him at LG this year and move him to LT next year.

It's kind of funny--after all the years of Lions fans bitching about Backus, we might end up with Backus mk. II (aka Martin)

April 15th, 2012, 8:31 pm
Baton Girl

Right now Konz leads with 35 votes, Jon Martin is 2nd with 33, followed by Janoris Jenkins with 31 and Whitney Mercilus with 25.

I've going 4 Lions forums voting here so it should be interesting to see how it plays out.

April 15th, 2012, 11:33 pm
Profile WWW
Hall of Fame Player

wjb21ndtown wrote:

I agree with every bit of this except I'd let Martin compete for the LT role and put the loser (Martin or Backus) at RT. Then move Cherilus to RG and let Peterman be the backup that he is; or dump him.

Any way you slice it the line is upgraded.

April 16th, 2012, 8:43 am
Profile WWW
Wow, that's quite a turn around! It was Martin by a landslide (it was like 16 votes for Martin and 9 votes for Konz) last I checked.

LF - I too would like Martin to compete with Backus for the LT spot, I just think at this point Backus would definitely be the clear winner. I mean, he was still the best LT in the NFCN last year, and Martin is said to be somewhat of a project. If Martin can beat out Backus at LT, I'd be all for him taking the spot and asking Backus to play OG or RT. However, I understand your desire to have the "loser" of the two to play RT instead of LT and keep them at an OT spot, but I wouldn't want to see Backus or Martin play RT. IMO they're both too weak to play RT. I realize that I'm asking them to take on a DT instead of a bull rushing DE, but I'm asking them to do it with help, not on an island.

Can anyone answer why we have Peterman at RG and Sims at LG? I thought most teams have intentionally put more "beef" on the right side. Do we do it for balance and to help out Backus?

April 16th, 2012, 2:29 pm
thelomasbrowns wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:

It's kind of funny--after all the years of Lions fans bitching about Backus, we might end up with Backus mk. II (aka Martin)

Backus and Martin were very similar coming out of college, similar 40 time, similar bench press reps, and both noted for protecting their Qbs blind-side. That said, IMO Martin is much more aggressive, and much more in-tune with being an NFL OL-man. I know people question his "mean streak" and I'm not saying the kid is nasty, but he at least has an aggressive side that I've never seen out of Backus. Further, IMO Martin is MUCH better at run blocking, something that Backus has never had to deal with. My concerns with Martin have much more to do with his lateral movement, and his ability to handle stronger NFL DEs while keeping his feet under him. That said, IMO Martin is a much better prospect (IMO) and I think he'll be a more athletic, stronger, meaner version of Jeff Backus that run blocks significantly better. That's a pretty damn good LT in my book.

April 16th, 2012, 2:35 pm

wjb21ndtown wrote:

Can anyone answer why we have Peterman at RG and Sims at LG? I thought most teams have intentionally put more "beef" on the right side. Do we do it for balance and to help out Backus?

Because Sims can pull and block in space, which is what you typically need the LG to do. RG doesn't do much of that in this offense. Sims at RG would be a waste of his skill set.

April 16th, 2012, 2:49 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

mwill2 wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:

Because Sims can pull and block in space, which is what you typically need the LG to do. RG doesn't do much of that in this offense. Sims at RG would be a waste of his skill set.

Well put.

NEVER GIVE UP!

April 16th, 2012, 3:10 pm
Baton Girl

Alright guys the pick is in, your results are updated. You can see who your team selected here:

http://www.footballdraftnotebook.com/InteractiveMockDraftResults.html

Feel free to bookmark that page and continue voting daily. We will do one team every day until the draft

wjb I used your description, although I had to cut it down a lot. Thanks for this

April 16th, 2012, 5:25 pm
Profile WWW
mwill2 wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:

Thanks MWill - It just seems like his size could be better utilized at the RG spot, opening holes for off-tackle runs and dives to the power side. Makes sense though...

April 16th, 2012, 7:13 pm
Reply to topic   [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next