View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently December 20th, 2014, 4:06 am

Reply to topic  [ 144 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Cornerbacks 
RIP Killer

Post Re: Cornerbacks
Killwill25 wrote:
The more I think about it, the more I think that it has to be Dre. If he makes it to 17, I can't see us not trying to get that pick from Cincy. He has the tools to completely take Wrs out of the game. I'd fully support trading up for him and hopefully throw in phonso smith in order to hold on to a pick or two

Problem is, if Gilmore is off the board by then (entirely possible), then the Bengals will keep the pick to get Kirkpatrick for themselves. I couldn't see them trading it away, unless the Lions overpaid in the trade. And that is something Mayhew doesn't do.

As I continue to tweak my final mock draft, it seems more and more likely that unless the Lions trade up they will miss out on Gilmore and Kirkpatrick, and will end up going either OT or DE at #23.

April 18th, 2012, 11:12 am
Team MVP

m2karateman wrote:
Killwill25 wrote:
The more I think about it, the more I think that it has to be Dre. If he makes it to 17, I can't see us not trying to get that pick from Cincy. He has the tools to completely take Wrs out of the game. I'd fully support trading up for him and hopefully throw in phonso smith in order to hold on to a pick or two

Problem is, if Gilmore is off the board by then (entirely possible), then the Bengals will keep the pick to get Kirkpatrick for themselves. I couldn't see them trading it away, unless the Lions overpaid in the trade. And that is something Mayhew doesn't do.

As I continue to tweak my final mock draft, it seems more and more likely that unless the Lions trade up they will miss out on Gilmore and Kirkpatrick, and will end up going either OT or DE at #23.

That is how my final mock is/has been turning out also. I see a slim chance Gilmore or Kirkpatrick will be there. But I know who will be. Janoris Jenkins :lol:

Which is why I can really see Mayhew "trying" to move up due to his apparent love for Kirkpatrick.

If that doesnt happen, Barron (if hes there) should be the target, and if hes not there, Id really like to see them get Vinny Curry.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

April 18th, 2012, 2:24 pm
Team MVP

Quote:
Janoris Jenkins vehemently denies smoking marijuana while at North Alabama

Last week, citing both AFC and NFC decision-makers, Albert Breer reported that highly touted cornerback prospect Janoris Jenkins continued to use marijuana at North Alabama last season after getting booted off the University of Florida team for two drug-related arrests.

Aaron Wilson, from scout.com, caught up with Jenkins who offered a passionate denial.

"I wasn't smoking marijuana at North Alabama," Jenkins said in a telephone interview. "If anybody wants to know, they can give my coaches a call. I wasn't partying. They've been saying a lot of things about me that aren't true without getting my side of the story. It's been a humbling experience.

"You've got to be a man, you've got to be honest and straightforward. I've matured. My past is my past. People can judge me for how far I've come. I want to know why all of a sudden this is out there about me. Why didn't it come out after the combine when I was straightforward with the scouts? The timing is very interesting to me."

Wilson took Jenkins' advice and reached out to North Alabama's defensive coordinator Tony Pecoraro, who vouched that the cornerback was clean during his time with the program.

"Of course, he got drug tested when he was there and he passed those tests," Pecoraro said. "For him to get into school, our athletic director put in a bunch of stipulations and he had to do community service hours, do a mentoring program, take random drug tests. If anything had come back positive from those, he wouldn't have been out there. It was a zero tolerance policy. He did everything we asked him to do."

It's tough to decipher the truth. Who knows how serious North Alabama took their "zero tolerance" policy, and even if Jenkins was drug tested, there are ways to beat those depending on how truly random they were.

It's also reasonable to believe Jenkins is being completely honest -- that he had a wake-up call after being unceremoniously booted by the Gators -- and he completely cleaned up his act. Maybe in the vicious cycle of misinformation leading up to the draft, someone from an NFL front office leaked these falsehoods to intentionally hurt Jenkins' stock so they would get a steal if he fell. Honestly, would anyone really put it past an NFL team?

As a talent, Jenkins remains a fit for what the Detroit Lions need. On Wednesday, Mel Kiper said he could step in and help the Lions right away. But it seems inconceivable Detroit would touch a player with a history of drug issues after the offseason arrests of Mikel Leshoure and Nick Fairley. It would be a small public relations nightmare.

Interesting.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

April 18th, 2012, 4:42 pm
5th Round Pick - Traded

m2karateman wrote:
Killwill25 wrote:

There is a chance that Decastro falls.

April 18th, 2012, 6:26 pm
Team MVP

liontrax wrote:
m2karateman wrote:
Killwill25 wrote:

You really think so?

April 18th, 2012, 6:34 pm
5th Round Pick - Traded

kdsberman wrote:
liontrax wrote:
m2karateman wrote:
Killwill25 wrote:

You really think so?

I follow what they say on NFL Network, as well as read as much as I can find online. The bottom line for some of these GM's is that you don't take Guards in the early part of the 1st, so I wouldn't be surprised to see him fall.

April 18th, 2012, 7:32 pm
RIP Killer

liontrax wrote:
kdsberman wrote:
liontrax wrote:
m2karateman wrote:
Killwill25 wrote:

You really think so?

I follow what they say on NFL Network, as well as read as much as I can find online. The bottom line for some of these GM's is that you don't take Guards in the early part of the 1st, so I wouldn't be surprised to see him fall.

Tough to say. You think the Seahawks regret taking Steve Hutchinson 17th overall? DeCastro is being touted as the best guard coming out since Hutchinson. Mike Iupati was taken 17th overall, and DeCastro is considered a better prospect than him.

It's interesting. If you look at the history of guards selected in round one, or early round two, almost all of them have had pretty good careers. I think it's a safe bet that DeCastro goes in the first round, and won't fall out of the top 20.

April 18th, 2012, 7:49 pm
Team MVP

Without getting off topic, if I were a team that desperately needed a guard, theyd be morons not to take DeCastro.

April 18th, 2012, 9:38 pm
RIP Killer

kdsberman wrote:
Without getting off topic, if I were a team that desperately needed a guard, theyd be morons not to take DeCastro.

Exactly. Another thing to keep in mind: at the Stanford Pro Day, teams were asking DeCastro to work as a center as well, and from all accounts he seemed comfortable and not entirely out of place doing it. There are also teams that think DeCastro could play RT in a pinch, and would probably do pretty well similar to what Damien Woody did for the Lions and Jets.

That is a player with versatility, talent and value. If the Lions traded up to get him, say if he got past the Eagles and fell all the way to #16, I'd be all for it. But something tells me DeCastro doesn't get past the Cowboys, and is likely to go as early as the Chiefs pick.

April 19th, 2012, 8:52 am
Hall of Fame Player

m2karateman wrote:
Killwill25 wrote:

If we have to pass on CB in the 1st round, I would not mind taking a chance on Chase Minnefield in the 2nd round. His dad was a pretty good CB for the Browns. So, hopefully, the apple hasn't fallen far from the tree.

April 19th, 2012, 9:18 am
RIP Killer

I have to say I've got a feeling that Mayhew will swing a draft day deal for Asante next week. Think about it the defense and how they are building back from the line:

Year one (DL) - add Suh in the draft and in FA KVB
Year two (LB) - add Durant and Tulloch
Year three (CB) - add Asante and a draft pick pick

April 19th, 2012, 10:11 am
Profile WWW
Player of the Year - Offense

Except Asante costs too much. You don't swing a trade for someone that you can't fit under the cap without guarantees that he renegotiates. Dealing with the Eagles who overinflate value way too much, and negotiating with agent at the same time is something that rarely happens. Too many ifs.

April 19th, 2012, 10:20 am
RIP Killer

njroar wrote:
Except Asante costs too much. You don't swing a trade for someone that you can't fit under the cap without guarantees that he renegotiates. Dealing with the Eagles who overinflate value way too much, and negotiating with agent at the same time is something that rarely happens. Too many ifs.

I think Asante will renegotiate and don't think Mayhew would ever get jacked on a trade. I have nothing concrete, just a feeling. The Lions were linked to him a bit last year and that can continue to grow as time rolls on - plus I think he comes at a cheaper price this year.

April 19th, 2012, 11:06 am
Profile WWW
Varsity Captain

Ya, what he said. :cheers:

April 19th, 2012, 1:19 pm
RIP Killer

I wonder if Mayhew could swing a trade where we send Alfonso Smith to Philly for Asante Samuel. The Lions could include a conditional late round 2013 pick that would escalate based on PT for Samuel. But at least the Eagles would feel like they are missing a CB now, and the Lions can feel like they got rid of a player they didn't want, and don't have to give up as high of a pick in exchange since a player was involved.

I think it's a possibility, but I agree with Pablo that Samuel would have to lower his salary for the Lions to get him under the cap.

April 19th, 2012, 1:27 pm
Reply to topic   [ 144 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next