View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently December 21st, 2014, 1:17 pm

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Draft Coverage 
Team MVP

Post Draft Coverage
Quote:
League looking for ways to put suspense back into the draft
Posted by Mike Florio on April 18, 2012, 6:56 PM EDT
Getty ImagesIt started several years ago, with ESPN’s Chris Berman telling the audience what the draft pick would be as the Commissioner strolled to the podium to confirm what Berman had said. It’s gotten worse recently, with NFL Network and ESPN reporters tipping the picks before they’re announced — and with NFLN and ESPN cameras showing players getting a phone call from the team that is going to take them.

The effort to pre-inform the TV audience has become a buzz kill, removing all intrigue from the drum-roll effect of the Commissioner’s left foot, right foot march to the middle of the stage. Even for fans at Radio City Music Hall, the presence of large video screens (one-ear headsets are distributed for listening to either NFL Network or ESPN) spoils the surprise.

Richard Deitsch of SI.com reports that the NFL, ESPN, and NFL Network are discussing ways to avoid this. The league says that it won’t show players on the phone from the green room on draft night.

Still, tipping picks is a broader issue of TV production. Even if cameras aren’t showing the player on the phone, the on-air talent can let the cat out of the bag based on things they separately see and hear.

With two networks televising the draft, intervention by the league shouldn’t be needed. Fans would surely flock to the network that decides on its own to defer to the Commissioner, and the bump in ratings would force the other network to do the same.

The problem is that the media is wired to always be first. In this specific context, it’s far more important to let nature take its course and create a real “and the winner is . . . .” moment.

Unless and until the networks figure this out, the viewers will regard both to be losers.

THANK GOD.

I emailed the NFL 2 years ago about this issue (with no reply).

I dont know about the rest of you, but I HATE it when they blow the pick by either La Confora announcing it early, or showing the player in the green room on his phone celebrating. Gee..I wonder who the pick is...

I miss the surprise. I miss wondering who the pick is going to be. Sure hope this is true and they are trying to fix it.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

April 18th, 2012, 9:43 pm
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

Post Re: Draft Coverage
kdsberman wrote:
Quote:
League looking for ways to put suspense back into the draft
Posted by Mike Florio on April 18, 2012, 6:56 PM EDT
Getty ImagesIt started several years ago, with ESPN’s Chris Berman telling the audience what the draft pick would be as the Commissioner strolled to the podium to confirm what Berman had said. It’s gotten worse recently, with NFL Network and ESPN reporters tipping the picks before they’re announced — and with NFLN and ESPN cameras showing players getting a phone call from the team that is going to take them.

The effort to pre-inform the TV audience has become a buzz kill, removing all intrigue from the drum-roll effect of the Commissioner’s left foot, right foot march to the middle of the stage. Even for fans at Radio City Music Hall, the presence of large video screens (one-ear headsets are distributed for listening to either NFL Network or ESPN) spoils the surprise.

Richard Deitsch of SI.com reports that the NFL, ESPN, and NFL Network are discussing ways to avoid this. The league says that it won’t show players on the phone from the green room on draft night.

Still, tipping picks is a broader issue of TV production. Even if cameras aren’t showing the player on the phone, the on-air talent can let the cat out of the bag based on things they separately see and hear.

With two networks televising the draft, intervention by the league shouldn’t be needed. Fans would surely flock to the network that decides on its own to defer to the Commissioner, and the bump in ratings would force the other network to do the same.

The problem is that the media is wired to always be first. In this specific context, it’s far more important to let nature take its course and create a real “and the winner is . . . .” moment.

Unless and until the networks figure this out, the viewers will regard both to be losers.

THANK GOD.

I emailed the NFL 2 years ago about this issue (with no reply).

I dont know about the rest of you, but I HATE it when they blow the pick by either La Confora announcing it early, or showing the player in the green room on his phone celebrating. Gee..I wonder who the pick is...

I miss the surprise. I miss wondering who the pick is going to be. Sure hope this is true and they are trying to fix it.

I completely agree. They can still show all that green room footage (or players getting the call at home)...just do it after the name has been announced. The effect will be much better for the television viewer, with a much greater feeling of suspense. The NFL Network has had superior draft coverage for at least three years and I suspect they'll work to get it right.

Unfortunately, I suspect ESPN will continue to make a mess of their draft coverage and not change a thing. I find ESPN unbearable on draft day.

April 18th, 2012, 9:56 pm
Mr. Irrelevant

NFL Network would be a LOT better if they got rid of La Canfora. I actually really don't like him at all and I hate having to see that dude on TV. Maybe it's just because he took over for Schefter and I liked Schefter a lot. I don't know. I just think they could have hired someone better.

April 19th, 2012, 12:59 am
Team MVP

Footsoldier32 wrote:
NFL Network would be a LOT better if they got rid of La Canfora. I actually really don't like him at all and I hate having to see that dude on TV. Maybe it's just because he took over for Schefter and I liked Schefter a lot. I don't know. I just think they could have hired someone better.

I feel the EXACT same way. Feel like we have a dang nerd filling us in "around the league".

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

April 19th, 2012, 1:48 am
Player of the Year - Offense

kdsberman wrote:
Footsoldier32 wrote:

I feel the EXACT same way. Feel like we have a dang nerd filling us in "around the league".

The only difference is La Canfora beats Schefter a majority of the time, without Schefter's ego. Schefter bought into his own hype. La Canfora might seem goofy, but he's done his time in the beat sector and still maintains his approachability. Try to talk to Schefter and you'll never get a response. Talk to La Canfora and you'll get responses as well as conversation.

Different styles, yes, but also completely different personalities.

As for the coverage, it's not going to change a thing if the agents and players themselves are tweeting out the info prior to the announcement on TV.

April 19th, 2012, 10:30 am
Hall of Fame Player

Personally, I don't mind all the green room feeds. I have seen the announcers jump to conclusions and be wrong often enough that you just don't really know who the pick is until you here Roger say, " with the ____ pick in the 1st round, the _______________'s select ________________ , University of_____ /_____State University".

April 19th, 2012, 10:41 am
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

BillySims wrote:
Personally, I don't mind all the green room feeds. I have seen the announcers jump to conclusions and be wrong often enough that you just don't really know who the pick is until you here Roger say, " with the ____ pick in the 1st round, the _______________'s select ________________ , University of_____ /_____State University".

Are you watching the same draft as the rest of us? Its been pretty apparent who the picks are for years now, with maybe 1 mistake per draft in the first few rounds.

April 19th, 2012, 2:50 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Team MVP

DJ-B wrote:
BillySims wrote:

Are you watching the same draft as the rest of us? Its been pretty apparent who the picks are for years now, with maybe 1 mistake per draft in the first few rounds.

I agree. The last time there was any surprise in my opinion was in 2006 when we drafted Ernie Sims. I remember Jay Cutler and Matt Leinart still on the board and really getting excited when Paul Tagliabue (spelling?) went to the podium. But....those days are over.

April 19th, 2012, 2:53 pm
Mr. Irrelevant

njroar wrote:
kdsberman wrote:
Footsoldier32 wrote:

The only difference is La Canfora beats Schefter a majority of the time, without Schefter's ego. Schefter bought into his own hype. La Canfora might seem goofy, but he's done his time in the beat sector and still maintains his approachability. Try to talk to Schefter and you'll never get a response. Talk to La Canfora and you'll get responses as well as conversation.

Different styles, yes, but also completely different personalities.

As for the coverage, it's not going to change a thing if the agents and players themselves are tweeting out the info prior to the announcement on TV.

I've never wanted to have a conversation with either of those guys. I just want to hear the news from them. I've never done or had any interest in tweeting with these people so I couldn't care less about any of that stuff. Personally I haven't gotten a sense of ego from Schefter but I have from LaCanfora so it's just the opposite for me. All a matter of taste though dude.

April 19th, 2012, 3:07 pm
Hall of Fame Player

The Detroit News wrote:
April 24, 2012 at 1:00 am

Barry Sanders to announce Lions' second-round pick at draft
By Detroit News wire services

Barry Sanders is one of five Hall of Famers who will announce their teams’ picks. (Gregory Shamus/Getty Images)

The Lions' second-round pick will be announced by Hall of Famer Barry Sanders in Friday at the NFL draft. It will be the second year in a row Sanders has announced the Lions' pick.

Sanders is one of five Hall of Famers who will announce their teams' picks. Dermontti Dawson (Steelers), Willie Brown (Raiders), Roger Wehrli (Cardinals) and Dwight Stephenson (Dolphins) are the others. Former Michigan star Anthony Carter will do the honors for the Vikings.

Washington, Oakland, New Orleans and Arizona do not have second-round selections, so their representatives will announce their third-round picks.

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2012 ... z1swzyJmqn

April 24th, 2012, 6:03 am
Profile WWW
Hall of Fame Player

I find it hilarious that Anthony Carter will announce the Vikings pick instead of Cris " The Brow " Carter. LOL.

April 24th, 2012, 11:13 pm
Color Commentator - John Madden

Honestly, I don't have a problem with things leaking out. We're going to find out eventually, so why do we need to hear Roger Goddell Castro make the announcement? If you follow the draft on Twitter you'll find out soon enough anyway. This is just a ploy for the people who are casual viewers who will tune in tomorrow night and not on Friday or Saturday. For people like me who will sit and watch the whole thing, it doesn't matter if there's the "drama" that comes with hearing it from the commish or not.

April 25th, 2012, 3:07 pm
Team MVP

Ok Jason La Confora, dont ruin this thing now!! You've said enough about Gilmore...now keep quiet.

April 26th, 2012, 7:45 pm
National Champion

Is it just me, or is the NFL dragging this draft out? It sdeems like every pick is in right away, but they take an extra 5-7 minutes to talk in between. I think some of these ESPN announcers like to hear themselves talk...

April 26th, 2012, 8:24 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Hystrix wrote:
Is it just me, or is the NFL dragging this draft out? It sdeems like every pick is in right away, but they take an extra 5-7 minutes to talk in between. I think some of these ESPN announcers like to hear themselves talk...

They were doing it on NFL Network too. They kept saying the picks are in and saying there is a log jam.. but not once did they reveal who the pick was when this was happening. Of course they speculated and were right on in most cases.

NEVER GIVE UP!

April 27th, 2012, 11:58 am
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next