View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 30th, 2014, 10:03 am

Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 My last thought before the draft 
Pro Bowl Player

Post My last thought before the draft
I've thought the Lions have had Mercilus on there radar for a long time. IF he is still there at 23, an interesting draft day trade could be in the works.

Lions draft Mercilus
Trade Avril to the Eagles for Samuel and their second round pick (give up their compesatory? 7th). 2 - 14 (I dont think that's too high for an older corner vs. younger DE and helps both teams get better on paper)

Lions draft S Harrison with that pick

With their second pick best avail linemen. OT Zebrie Sanders or G Amini Silatolu , Maybe someone slips down that shouldn't?

I'm guessing third and fourth rounds go RB, WR I won't even guess who. BPA

fifth rounder linebacker /special teams player to replace the loss of Bobby Carpenter

7th round - project quarterback to replace Stanton.

Getting close. Think that'd be a pretty good draft for us.

April 20th, 2012, 11:25 am
Profile WWW
Hall of Fame Player

Post Re: My last thought before the draft
Quote:
Trade Avril to the Eagles for Samuel and their second round pick (give up their compesatory? 7th).

You can not trade comp picks.

April 20th, 2012, 5:34 pm
RIP Killer

Ferris wrote:
I've thought the Lions have had Mercilus on there radar for a long time. IF he is still there at 23, an interesting draft day trade could be in the works.

Lions draft Mercilus
Trade Avril to the Eagles for Samuel and their second round pick (give up their compesatory? 7th). 2 - 14 (I dont think that's too high for an older corner vs. younger DE and helps both teams get better on paper)

With their second pick best avail linemen. OT Zebrie Sanders or G Amini Silatolu , Maybe someone slips down that shouldn't?

fifth rounder linebacker /special teams player to replace the loss of Bobby Carpenter

Well, as Billy said the compensatory picks can't be traded, so any team with one of those isn't going to move it.

I don't think the Eagles are too, too interested in getting DEs. They have a few of them on their roster that are still worthwhile. They are more interested, I think, in defensive tackles.

But, if the Lions and Eagles could make a deal that would give us Samuel and give them Avril, there would have to be deals in place for both players before the deal could be completed. I don't think it's going to happen. I think Samuel would rather be cut than settle on a new deal that may underpay him just so the Eagles can get compensation. He's not willing to help them out at all. And I don't know that Avril will sign a deal that will allow the Lions to move him to the Eagles. I don't think that Philly is being seen as a great destination by too many players now.

April 21st, 2012, 10:12 am
Pro Bowl Player

About an hour after I posted that trade scenario mlive posted a link

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/20 ... ade_m.html

M2k, I noticed your final mock still had Mercilus there. I really don't know the trade value scenarios i.e. what philly would give vs. Detroit (who obviously can't give up their comp pick) but in my hypothetical let's just say we give up our other 7th. Or wtvr is fisible.

I think something like this would be a plan B? Maybe they are hoping Stephen Gilmore is there at 23? And if what you just said M2k that Philly is more interested in a DT, who know's maybe they'll trade away Corey Williams and pick up another DT in the draft?

I would be happy with any scenario that improves the team.

April 21st, 2012, 10:56 am
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

Ferris wrote:
About an hour after I posted that trade scenario mlive posted a link

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/20 ... ade_m.html

M2k, I noticed your final mock still had Mercilus there. I really don't know the trade value scenarios i.e. what philly would give vs. Detroit (who obviously can't give up their comp pick) but in my hypothetical let's just say we give up our other 7th. Or wtvr is fisible.

I think something like this would be a plan B? Maybe they are hoping Stephen Gilmore is there at 23? And if what you just said M2k that Philly is more interested in a DT, who know's maybe they'll trade away Corey Williams and pick up another DT in the draft?

I would be happy with any scenario that improves the team.

I wouldn't have a problem with the Lions getting a DE in round one. And they really don't even have to trade Avril if they do take one. They could always move LoJack to another team, or consider moving Willie Young (though I'd rather they keep him and let him develop further). But if what they feel are their top players are already gone and they elect to take Mercilus, or Perry, or some other DE, I'd be perfectly OK with that.

I read someplace just a few minutes ago that Philly is close to sending Samuel someplace in a trade, and it should happen before the draft. Unless the Lions have got Avril to agree that he'll sign a deal with another team that they have on the table for him, I don't think Detroit is the team Philly is dealing with. Reports say that it's Denver.

If the Lions were to be looking at making a trade with Philly involving Avril, the Lions would have to get something else besides Samuel. I would be upset if it were a straight exchange. Avril is younger, and has another 5-8 years of playing time. Samuel might have two or three seasons left in him, and he expects to be paid like he's still a PBer.

The Lions would have to get a pick in return, and I'd think they would be fishing for a 4th rounder, at least.

Samuel + 2012 4th round pick = Avril

I think that's fair.

April 21st, 2012, 2:10 pm
NFL Team Captain

Ferris wrote:

Lions draft Mercilus

Only problem with this is that the Eagles are shopping Asante for 5th or 6th round pick, so we actually could keep Avril and still get Asante, then of course comes his salary, not sure what it is, but i believe it is a wee bit high.

April 21st, 2012, 9:11 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Trading Avril for an old guy with a huge salary and a pick that will probably only be a depth guy? Come on guys...

As Mayhew has said, they're not in the business of getting rid of their good young players. Cliff just has to come down to earth a bit and then they'll sign him to a long-term deal. Look what happened with Tulloch--Mayhew's a smart guy.

April 21st, 2012, 10:17 pm

My final thought, trade up into the top 15 for dre kirkpatrick because he is the best CB in this draft.

April 22nd, 2012, 7:29 am
Team MVP

Killwill25 wrote:
My final thought, trade up into the top 15 for dre kirkpatrick because he is the best CB in this draft.

Of course we all have opinions, but I don't think Dre is the BEST in the draft, but surely one of the best and the #1 guy I want besides Barron.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

April 22nd, 2012, 8:36 am

kdsberman wrote:
Killwill25 wrote:

Of course we all have opinions, but I don't think Dre is the BEST in the draft, but surely one of the best and the #1 guy I want besides Barron.

rite on. Who would you consider to be the best CB in this draft?

April 22nd, 2012, 12:17 pm
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

Killwill25 wrote:
kdsberman wrote:
Killwill25 wrote:

rite on. Who would you consider to be the best CB in this draft?

Most would say Claiborne is the best. Most of the draftniks have Gilmore as #2--I've heard Gilmore could be a top 10 pick. Not sure if that will happen but it seems Kirkpatrick is the only one who might be there at #23.

April 22nd, 2012, 12:49 pm
Team MVP

I think Claiborne is #1, but IMO i think Jenkins is the second best because im looking at his football playing and not his off field bull crap. I think whoever gets him is getting one hell of a good CB, of course gambling but thats beside the point. I love Kirkpatrick though and will be very surprised if he is there at 23 and think if we didnt take him we'd be dumb. But i have no doubt Mayhew would pull the trigger, and I still would not be surprised to see us trade up to get him,

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

April 22nd, 2012, 1:03 pm

kdsberman wrote:
I think Claiborne is #1, but IMO i think Jenkins is the second best because im looking at his football playing and not his off field bull crap. I think whoever gets him is getting one hell of a good CB, of course gambling but thats beside the point. I love Kirkpatrick though and will be very surprised if he is there at 23 and think if we didnt take him we'd be dumb. But i have no doubt Mayhew would pull the trigger, and I still would not be surprised to see us trade up to get him,

Jenkins is definetely underrated at this point cuz the other stuff. It seems as though poeple are just so much in love with the height of all the other prospects. Jenkins could be every bit as good as Joe Haden or Dunta Robinson. I just can't wait to see how this all shakes out.

If we end up with Dre in rd 1, would you take Jenkins in rd2(hypothetical, I know he prolly won't be available that late)?

April 22nd, 2012, 11:33 pm
Heisman Winner

thelomasbrowns wrote:
Trading Avril for an old guy with a huge salary and a pick that will probably only be a depth guy? Come on guys...

As Mayhew has said, they're not in the business of getting rid of their good young players. Cliff just has to come down to earth a bit and then they'll sign him to a long-term deal. Look what happened with Tulloch--Mayhew's a smart guy.

thank you..

April 22nd, 2012, 11:46 pm
RIP Killer

thelomasbrowns wrote:

We all know Mayhew is a smart guy. But you are assuming that Avril will come down in his salary demands, and that is something we don't know. It is for that reason that alternatives should be looked at.

And I'm sorry, but Avril hasn't exactly set the world on fire as a defensive end in this league. Yes, he had a good 2011. Whoopee. That doesn't entitle him to look to be paid 8 figures per season over the course of five or six years. If that's what he is demanding, he's being very unrealistic.

So, the question is, do you get something for him now, or do you let him play on the franchise tag this season and watch him walk next season. I can GUARANTEE you that he will want a clause in place for him signing the tag that says that the team can't tag him again next year. If the Lions placate him to that end, they'll get nothing in return for him next year once he leaves in FA.

His market value right now is as high as its ever been. It will only go down from here unless he pulls off a MONSTER year. And that is the premise of moving him. The fact that he's only had one good season, is demanding quite a bit of money more than what he should, and the Lions could get good return for him in trade right now. We have good depth at DE, and there will be some good DEs available to us in this particular draft in round one.

Addition by subtraction.

I'm not saying get rid of Avril at all costs. But if it looks like he's just not going to be realistic (from what I've heard the Lions have made several offers and Avril's agent hasn't even as much as countered). If that's the case, get what you can for him and let him be some other teams headache.

April 23rd, 2012, 8:56 am
Reply to topic   [ 52 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next