View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 1st, 2014, 4:54 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 4-7 Players Lions Targeting in Round One 
RIP Killer

Post 4-7 Players Lions Targeting in Round One
Let the speculation begin.

Quote:
Martin Mayhew: Lions have 4 to 7 candidates for first-round pick

Detroit Lions general manager Martin Mayhew said the team has narrowed the number of players it is considering drafting with the No. 23 overall pick in next week's NFL draft.

“We’re probably between four and seven guys that we really feel very comfortable with that are great fits for us that we’re very excited about having,” Mayhew said during a news conference at team headquarters in Allen Park.

The Lions finished their meetings today, in preparation for the draft, which begins April 26. Mayhew said he and his staff “have a good feel for these guys,” but he would not speak specifically about any draftable players.

Mayhew said that, unlike past years, when the Lions picked Matthew Stafford No. 1 overall or Ndamukong Suh No. 2 overall, too many players are in the mix to discuss.

“We’re going to be very careful about who we talk about and how we talk about them,” he said. “We’re not going to talk about any particular players and how much we like them or don’t like them. We’re not going to talk about who’s on our board, who’s not on our board. It’s going to be a very different process at 23, I think, than it is at 2, and so we’re going to be careful with that.”

Mayhew says running back Jahvid Best has been doing everything at voluntary workouts this week. Best missed much of last year after having concussions.

If being truthful, sounds like there are 4 players they really like and another 3 they see as consolation prizes.

I think the group they really includes CBs Kirpatrick and Gilmore, S Barron and DE Mercilus.

I also think the consolation prizes are along the OL, Martin, Konz, Adams (assuming DeCastro and Glenn are long gone).

That said, I'm sure they have a number of guys ranked higher not in that group of 4-7 - if any of them fall the Lions would pounce.

April 20th, 2012, 1:55 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

Post Re: 4-7 Players Lions Targeting in Round One
I'm thinking Kirkpatrick, Gilmore, Barron, Perry, Mercilus, Martin and Glenn are the guys they are looking at. All of them have a shot of being there at 23. The one least likely to be available is Gilmore. Most likely is Mercilus or Perry.

April 20th, 2012, 5:53 pm
Team MVP

m2karateman wrote:
I'm thinking Kirkpatrick, Gilmore, Barron, Perry, Mercilus, Martin and Glenn are the guys they are looking at. All of them have a shot of being there at 23. The one least likely to be available is Gilmore. Most likely is Mercilus or Perry.

Call me crazy, or crazy as hell if you prefer. BUT, i wouldnt be surprised if Janoris Jenkins was one of those guys. Mayhew said in his press conference yesterday that marijuana issues are NOT going to change their mind on who they feel is the best player.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

April 20th, 2012, 6:58 pm
League MVP

May hew was probably talking about dre Kirkpatrick

April 20th, 2012, 8:18 pm
Team MVP

The Legend wrote:
May hew was probably talking about dre Kirkpatrick

Im sure he was, but not limited to JUST Dre.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

April 20th, 2012, 9:46 pm
RIP Killer

Whether or not Jenkins is included is going to depend on a couple things:

1. Do the Lions feel his days of thumbing his nose at the "establishment" is behind him? Remember, he got busted multiple times at Florida, so it became a matter of putting himself before the team. I don't think Mayhew/Lewand/Schwart would accept that mindset. The guy who reported the story about Jenkins having admitted to three teams he continued using mj at North Alabama may have had a motive to leak something like that. Jenkins is vehemently denying it, and even his coaches at North Alabama say that he passed every test he was given, and it was quite a few of them. I also remember reading a few stories right after the Combines about how teams were impressed with his honesty about the Florida situation, and his sincerity in saying he's put that behind him. It all depends on what the front office believes.

2. Is his talent worth the possible headache? Jenkins is being praised by some scouts as the best pure cover corner in the draft, including Claiborne. The Lions single biggest need is to land a corner that can be physical and shut down receivers. Jenkins can be that guy. But once he gets a bunch of money in his pocket, what's the odds he returns to the thug life? Will he be a locker room headache, or will he be the person he is trying to portray himself as right now?

When Mayhew spoke of not being too concerned over the marijuana use, I think he was talking about situations like Culbreath and Fairley. These guys got caught, didn't create a big issue for the team, and never had a previous drug issue. The team isn't going to cut them loose over that. LeShoure, on the other hand, may be in slightly hotter water than those two because after he got caught the first time he apparently didn't learn his lesson. That's a reason for concern.

Kirkpatrick is similar to Fairley and Culbreath, but Jenkins is worse than the LeShoure situation.

And I don't think Mike Adams testing positive will hurt his stock all that much. If he were considered a top 15 or top 20 talent, I think it would be much more important. He's pretty much moved down to second round status anyways, and at that point teams are going to be looking at the possibility of him getting his head right and putting it all together on the field. If they think he will work towards being a solid NFL player, he'll go in the 32-40 range. If teams think he's an idiot who will be the second coming of Stockar McDougle, he'll slide further down, possibly even as far as our second round pick.

April 21st, 2012, 10:04 am
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]