View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently August 31st, 2014, 12:20 am

Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Who will be in the chat room for round 1? 
Post Re: Who will be in the chat room for round 1?
m2karateman wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
I just wanted to vent for a minute:

I can't stand the new draft format. There just isn't enough on day one. It's round 1 and a TON of speculation. I hate it. There isn't enough that actually happens to be "news worthy" so those draft idiots just spout on and on about "sleepers" and fallen prospects. It's annoying.

IN truth, the only thing different is the time between picks, and the day of the week it takes place. The first round was more drawn out in the past with the 15 minutes between picks, and as such was far more boring. I think the new format is better, because it actually cuts down on the level of discussion and speculation between picks. It's not like none of that was taking place before the format change. So, I really don't know where all the hate comes from....other than that is your natural state, it seems.

I liked it better when Rd 1 and 2 were both done in day 1, rather than just round 1.

April 23rd, 2012, 4:04 pm
Mr. Irrelevant

wjb21ndtown wrote:
m2karateman wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:

I can't stand the new draft format. There just isn't enough on day one. It's round 1 and a TON of speculation. I hate it. There isn't enough that actually happens to be "news worthy" so those draft idiots just spout on and on about "sleepers" and fallen prospects. It's annoying.

IN truth, the only thing different is the time between picks, and the day of the week it takes place. The first round was more drawn out in the past with the 15 minutes between picks, and as such was far more boring. I think the new format is better, because it actually cuts down on the level of discussion and speculation between picks. It's not like none of that was taking place before the format change. So, I really don't know where all the hate comes from....other than that is your natural state, it seems.

I liked it better when Rd 1 and 2 were both done in day 1, rather than just round 1.

Ditto. What about fans whose team traded down into the 2nd and didn't get to make a pick on the first night? They had to wait a whole other day to see their pick. I didn't really like that.

April 23rd, 2012, 4:26 pm
RIP Killer

Footsoldier32 wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
m2karateman wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:

Ditto. What about fans whose team traded down into the 2nd and didn't get to make a pick on the first night? They had to wait a whole other day to see their pick. I didn't really like that.

But here's the thing....people complained that the first day took too long. Remember they used to have the first THREE rounds on day one, then the last four on the second day.

The league, it seems, tried to respond to those complaints. But in truth, they just wanted an excuse to be the draft on the tube in prime time. This is the second most watched NFL event for the entire year, so I can understand that they wanted to get the advertising dollars and everything else that goes with being on in prime time. It's a business, and that was a business decision.

But wjb's claim is that the new format creates more conversation and speculation between picks....and in reality that's just not possible with the reduced time between picks.

April 23rd, 2012, 4:31 pm
Where do I say it creates more conversation and speculation BETWEEN PICKS?

I don't, anywhere... What I mean is, after Day 1 is over, they go on, and on, and on, about NOTHING. It's not even newsworthy after the first 1/2 hour. It horrible coverage and news agencies trying to drag out a story that isn't there. It's been turned into garbage TV.

April 23rd, 2012, 5:37 pm
RIP Killer

I like that it is prolonged, especially between the 1st and 2nd rounds. It allows teams to reset their boards. It allows for more trades to open the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

I like the primetime format as well, what else am I going to watch? Grey's Anatomy, 1 of 162 baseball games, some reality show?

Heck, I wouldn't mind if the draft was 7 rounds and 7 days long all in primetime - it would allow fans to get into each round and the type of talent who might be available for their team. Right now, most fans only know the top few talent and who their team might get in round one.

I realize I'm kinda of diehard when it comes to the draft but it is one of my favorite times of the football year - probably a product of growing up a Lions fan.

Go ahead, make the draft a weeklong event, it will drive WJB crazy if nothing else!

April 23rd, 2012, 5:51 pm
Profile WWW
All State

I'll probably stop thru for a hot minute , kick the bo-bo's and shoot the shy+

April 23rd, 2012, 5:52 pm
Hall of Fame Player

m2karateman wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:

I hate the new format because it starts on Thursday. I have to work for a living. Under the old format, it was a Saturday and Sunday affair. And I was able to make sure I had those 2 days off. In my line of work, it is difficult to get Thursday and Friday off.

April 23rd, 2012, 7:32 pm
RIP Killer

wjb21ndtown wrote:

Sorry, I assumed you were talking about the conversations that take place between picks, not afterward.

Given that the draft ends around 11 pm or so ET, I guess I still don't understand the issue.

I guess what bothers me most about the discussions during the picks is that you get these experts talking about how such and such team should pick such and such player, then when the team picks someone else, they gush about the pick. At least be honest. At least say "I can't understand this pick, I think it's a huge reach, doesn't fill their needs, etc.". When the Jags took Tyson Alualu a couple years ago, you could see the dismay in the eyse of Kiper, but he still managed to make it sound like it was a sensible pick.

At least be honest, that's what I'd like to hear from them.

April 24th, 2012, 8:18 am
5th Round Pick - Traded

Like the new format, face it, the draft is big-time news and one of the highlights of the year. So, now it's prime time. Have been following the draft since the Lions took Billy Sims.

Gentlemen, Enjoy the draft, can't join you this year, vacationing in Galveston. Will be looking forward to your perspectives on this board when I return. GO LIONS!

April 24th, 2012, 10:31 am
All State

The thing I dont like is the " legends" announcing the 2nd and 3rd rds. Its all about $ , they're trying to get people to tune in , and in turn make advertisers pay more and give us more commercials .. I actually like the new format , and they are honest depending on who it is . But they can't bash the pick too bad, they have to be PC , especially in this day and age with everyone being all soft about petty boo boo garbage .

April 24th, 2012, 12:14 pm
RIP Killer

Detroit_LIons wrote:
The thing I dont like is the " legends" announcing the 2nd and 3rd rds. Its all about $ , they're trying to get people to tune in , and in turn make advertisers pay more and give us more commercials .. I actually like the new format , and they are honest depending on who it is . But they can't bash the pick too bad, they have to be PC , especially in this day and age with everyone being all soft about petty boo boo garbage .

They don't have to "bash" the pick, the team or the player. Questioning it is not bashing it. But like I said, they will sit there and talk about how the team should be focusing on ____________ or ______________ . Then when the team takes ____________, they will start to talk about how good a fit the guy is, his positive traits, or how he could "surprise some people". Please. Why can't they just say "I don't understand that pick....." or "I don't think he was a value this early....." or "They clearly went for need here more than best player". I don't think any of those is "bashing" anything. It's just speaking their mind, and likely the minds of the fan base of the team involved.

April 24th, 2012, 3:57 pm
m2karateman wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:

Sorry, I assumed you were talking about the conversations that take place between picks, not afterward.

Given that the draft ends around 11 pm or so ET, I guess I still don't understand the issue.

I guess what bothers me most about the discussions during the picks is that you get these experts talking about how such and such team should pick such and such player, then when the team picks someone else, they gush about the pick. At least be honest. At least say "I can't understand this pick, I think it's a huge reach, doesn't fill their needs, etc.". When the Jags took Tyson Alualu a couple years ago, you could see the dismay in the eyse of Kiper, but he still managed to make it sound like it was a sensible pick.

At least be honest, that's what I'd like to hear from them.

He did the exact same thing when the Lions drafted Gosider Cherilus. You could tell that the whole ESPN staff was baffled, but they still painted it in a positive light.

Maybe they're worried about "access" when criticizing a GM. I mean, the GM doesn't have to let these guys into the building if they don't want to.

That said, I can't see why they don't do Rd. 1 and 2 on day one. I had no problem with staying up late, and I loved the old format (but I'll admit that it was a little long)... I would literally stay in whatever I woke up in, pretty much all day Sat. and Sun. and watch nothing but NFL draft coverage... Now, not so much. I literally only watch the first picks up until we pick in Rd. 1, then I glance at the TV every time we're up. I use to watch every pick of the entire draft every year.

I wish they would do:
Day 1 (Friday): Rd. 1&2
Day 2 (Sat.): Rd. 3-5
Day 3 (Sunday) Rd. 6-7 + analysis

April 24th, 2012, 5:00 pm
Hall of Fame Player

The access wasn't what it is now. But, I have followed the NFL draft since it was 17 rounds.

April 24th, 2012, 11:30 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Detroit_LIons wrote:
I'll probably stop thru for a hot minute , kick the bo-bo's and shoot the shy+

lol. same here

April 25th, 2012, 2:56 am
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

I will try.. "El Prego" may not be too happpy with me taking over the TV AND the computer. espically since it's not even football season yet (girls do NOT understand! lol)

The good news..i think she is comming around and becomeing a fan. She didnt even fight it when i bought a Lions onesie for the bun in the oven!

April 25th, 2012, 1:06 pm
Reply to topic   [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next