View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 24th, 2014, 3:02 am

Reply to topic  [ 114 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 ***Bounty-Gate*** 
Hall of Fame Player

Post Re: NFL finds that Saints violated “bounty rule”
ESPN.com wrote:
Gregg Williams wanted 49ers hurt

Updated: April 5, 2012, 12:55 PM ET
ESPN.com news services

Damning Gregg Williams Audio Emerges

On the day that members of the Saints' brass will have their appeals heard for their roles in New Orleans' bounty system, damning audio has been released of Gregg Williams, the man who orchestrated the program, instructing his players to injure San Francisco 49ers players in their wild-card playoff game last season.

Williams, the Saints' former defensive coordinator, did not appeal his indefinite suspension by the NFL. As first reported by Yahoo! Sports, documentary filmmaker Sean Pamphilon, who directed the ESPN 30 for 30 film "Run Ricky Run," has released an audio recording that he says is a speech Williams gave to Saints defensive players the night before the team lost to the 49ers in a playoff game in January.

Some of Gregg Williams' speech can be interpreted as typical rhetoric from an NFL defensive coach but much of it is indefensible, Pat Yasinskas writes. Blog

The sample audio recording is a little less than four minutes long. The full speech was 12 minutes, according to Pamphilon.

Pamphilon was following the Saints last season while working on a documentary featuring former Saints special teams player Steve Gleason, who is currently battling Lou Gehrig's disease.

Williams can be heard in the audio recording instructing his defensive players to injure quarterback Alex Smith, running back Frank Gore, tight end Vernon Davis and receivers Michael Crabtree and Kyle Williams.

According to Pamphilon, Gregg Williams pointed to his chin while telling his players to hit Smith "right there" and says, "Remember me. I got the first one. I got the first one. Go get it. Go lay that m----------- out."

Williams uses one of his favorite slogans in the speech -- "Kill the head and the body will die."

On Gore: "We've got to do everything in the world to make sure we kill Frank Gore's head. We want him running sideways. We want his head sideways."

On running back Kendall Hunter: "Little 32, we're going to knock the f--- out of him."

On Smith: "Every single one of you, before you get off the pile, affect the head. Early, affect the head. Continue, touch and hit the head."

Williams wrote:
“We've got to do everything in the world to make sure we kill Frank Gore's head. We want him running sideways. We want his head sideways.” -- Gregg Williams, on Frank Gore in speech to Saints players before playoff game

On Kyle Williams: "We need to find out in the first two series of the game, that little wide receiver, No. 10, about his concussion. We need to f------ put a lick on him right now. He needs to decide. He needs to f------ decide."

On Crabtree: "We need to decide whether Crabtree wants to be a fake-ass prima donna, or he wants to be a tough guy. We need to find out. He becomes human when we f------ take out that outside ACL."

On Davis: "We need to decide how many times we can bull rush and and we can f------ put Vernon Davis' ankles over the pile."

When asked by ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter for comment on Williams' speech to his players, NFL spokesman Greg Aiello would not comment other than to reiterate that the Saints had been warned, saying "note for background these graphs from our March 21 press release announcing the discipline for Saints management."

The NFL had warned the Saints before the playoffs that it had re-opened its investigation into the team's bounty program and the incentive program needed to cease, but the warning apparently was ignored.

Saints cornerback Malcolm Jenkins, in a post on his Twitter page, blasted Pamphilon for making the audio public.

His tweet: "Sean pamphilon is a coward and should be ashamed for taking advantage of Steve Gleason! How much did u get paid for that audio?"

Pamphilon told Yahoo! Sports that he decided to release the audio because Williams' words, especially about Kyle Williams' concussion history, made him uncomfortable. The film project he is currently working on, "The United States of Football", he told Yahoo!, "looks at the media's effect upon the way the game is played and celebrated, the proper coaching mentality and the effect of concussions and repetitive head trauma."

"The thing that really got me was when he said the thing about No. 10 and concussions. I thought, 'Did he just say that?' That was the red flag for me. And then the comments by the Giants made it hit home even harder."

Giants players had said after their win over San Francisco in the NFC Championship Game that they had targeted Kyle Williams as someone who might fumble on big hits because of his history of concussions.

The Saints' defense certainly was in attack mode against the 49ers. According to ESPN Stats & Information, the Saints sent five or more pass rushers in 30 of Smith's 46 dropbacks (65.2 percent). It was second-most times the Saints used such pressure last season and their third-highest rate of percentage of rushers.

Despite Gregg Williams' tough talk, the 49ers defeated the Saints in a 36-32 shootout in what turned out to be his last game as New Orleans' defensive coordinator. He left the team to become the St. Louis Rams' defensive coordinator before the NFL's penalties were announced.

At the time of the league's ruling, Williams apologized and said he took full responsibility for his actions.

Payton (suspended for one year), Loomis (eight games) and assistant head coach Joe Vitt (six games) were scheduled to have their appeals heard Thursday morning. Loomis and Vitt were at the league offices in New York, with coach Payton to arrive later in the day.

The Saints also were fined $500,000 and forced to forfeit second-round picks in the 2012 and 2013 drafts. Discipline for some of the Saints players involved is forthcoming. NFL commissioner Roger Goodell and league security met with NFL Players Association officials Monday to discuss the investigation and possible penalties for others.

WOW! Just WOW!!

If you didn't understand how low class and wrong this was before... Maybe you do now.

April 5th, 2012, 1:38 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

There is an audio file out there (YouTube) with him saying some of this stuff. And this was in front of the entire defense, so someone like Tracy Porter who claims there was no bounty system is just proven to be a bare faced LIAR. I hope Goodell drops the hammer on Porter, big time, for opening his ignorant yap on the matter.

That said, I think any coach will tend to go to extremes in a pre game meeting in an effort to pump his team up. But this was different. This was pandering the players to injure. This was calling for illegal activity, even as far as hitting someone on the sidelines. Really? REALLY?!

I may have been willing to give Williams and Payton some benefit of the doubt before. Now, not a chance. I'd have a serious issue with Goodell if he reduced the penalties at this point. Payton should still be suspended for all of 2012, and should be on probation for the remainder of his coaching days in the NFL. Williams should be banned from the NFL for life.

April 5th, 2012, 2:31 pm
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

someone PLEASE tell me how this is one of the LEAST penalized teams in the NFL?!?!?!! why is THAT not being mentioned anywhere?

April 5th, 2012, 5:33 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

regularjoe12 wrote:
someone PLEASE tell me how this is one of the LEAST penalized teams in the NFL?!?!?!! why is THAT not being mentioned anywhere?

After Katrina and the SB Victory they became Americas Team. Its as simple as that. They were the good story , so they got the "SuperStar" treatment as they call it in the NBA.

April 5th, 2012, 6:16 pm
Profile ICQ WWW

DJ-B wrote:
regularjoe12 wrote:

After Katrina and the SB Victory they became Americas Team. Its as simple as that. They were the good story , so they got the "SuperStar" treatment as they call it in the NBA.

Oh I understand how it happened....but this all coming out exposes obvious biased calls. Why aren't people talking about it? Not even the commentary shows mention it...does the press have the same gag order as the players and coaching? Players were allowed to be hurt because these " darlings" didn't have to pay the penalties on the field like the rest of the league. I mean think about it....if they were getting the same penalties as the rest of the league, is it not possible (likely even) that some of the players that they injured might not have been so?

I'm not saying the refs deserve equal share of the Blame, but certainly they allowed it to happen on the field. Thats the way I see it anyhow.

April 5th, 2012, 7:25 pm

Fully agree with you.

Media Hype & $$$ are way more important than player safety... dont let anything Goodell or the NFL offices do convince you otherwise.

Saints were making them buttloads of money, and they loved it until the whistle was blown. Then they had to act quickly and Harshly or else their House of Cards would have come crumbling down with the transparency of their greediness visible even to the not well informed.

April 5th, 2012, 7:52 pm
Profile ICQ WWW

regularjoe12 wrote:

I said the same thing when this was first coming out

killwill25 wrote:
I'm not sure, but weren't the Saints in the top 10 least penalized teams. Goodell should re-evaluate officiating too. They were out to injure other teams and the refs didn't notice?...

But Goodell will only dish out on the Saints. God forbid he takes responsibilty for the consistantly inconsistant, S***ty officiating. Did anyone else hear the tape? Gregg Williams won't ever coach in the NFL again

April 5th, 2012, 9:22 pm
Pop Warner Rookie

http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/ ... home-games

and the hits just keep on coming.

Quote:
NEW ORLEANS -- The U.S. Attorney's Office in the Eastern District of Louisiana was told Friday that New Orleans Saints general manager Mickey Loomis had an electronic device in his Superdome suite that had been secretly re-wired to enable him to eavesdrop on visiting coaching staffs for nearly three NFL seasons, "Outside the Lines" has learned.

“If this is going to be a Christian nation that doesn't help the poor, either we have to pretend that Jesus was just as selfish as we are, or we've got to acknowledge that He commanded us to love the poor and serve the needy without condition and then admit that we just don't want to do it.”
-Stephen Colbert-

April 23rd, 2012, 3:56 pm

Nurosa wrote:
http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/7846290/new-orleans-saints-mickey-loomis-eavesdrop-opposing-coaches-home-games

and the hits just keep on coming.

Quote:
NEW ORLEANS -- The U.S. Attorney's Office in the Eastern District of Louisiana was told Friday that New Orleans Saints general manager Mickey Loomis had an electronic device in his Superdome suite that had been secretly re-wired to enable him to eavesdrop on visiting coaching staffs for nearly three NFL seasons, "Outside the Lines" has learned.

Thats "spygate" (1/2 million dollar fine and loss of MORe draft picks) type stuff if true...

April 23rd, 2012, 4:10 pm
Player of the Year - Defense

This goes beyond spygate. If true, every single team that faced the Saints in NO could sue. The statute of limitations might have run out in the 2002-2004 version for federal conviction, but civil is when the parties find out, which is now. They also don't know if anything happened from 2006- present. 2005 they didn't play in NO due to katrina.

April 23rd, 2012, 4:19 pm

So this happened BEFORE their SB? not durring? corrrect?

April 23rd, 2012, 4:24 pm
Pop Warner Rookie

The Article says 2002-2004 but they haven't fully investigated yet.

“If this is going to be a Christian nation that doesn't help the poor, either we have to pretend that Jesus was just as selfish as we are, or we've got to acknowledge that He commanded us to love the poor and serve the needy without condition and then admit that we just don't want to do it.”
-Stephen Colbert-

April 23rd, 2012, 4:26 pm
Player of the Year - Defense

regularjoe12 wrote:

Correct. It was setup in 2000 to listen to own coaches, but rewired in 2002 to listen to opposing coaches. The reporter only learned of it up to 2004, but they really don't know after that. 2003 they went 9-7, 2004 they went 8-8 then 2005 when they didn't play a single home game they went 3-13, which doesn't prove anything, just looks fishy. If the system is still in place, it'll make things even worse, but just 2002-2004 is bad enough.

April 23rd, 2012, 4:58 pm

cool thanks. work tightened their internet belt and I couldn't click the link. Lionbacker still works so im good though! :cheers:

April 23rd, 2012, 5:05 pm

njroar wrote:
regularjoe12 wrote:

Correct. It was setup in 2000 to listen to own coaches, but rewired in 2002 to listen to opposing coaches. The reporter only learned of it up to 2004, but they really don't know after that. 2003 they went 9-7, 2004 they went 8-8 then 2005 when they didn't play a single home game they went 3-13, which doesn't prove anything, just looks fishy. If the system is still in place, it'll make things even worse, but just 2002-2004 is bad enough.

if it was still in place could they have to give back their SB trophy?

April 23rd, 2012, 5:06 pm
Reply to topic   [ 114 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next