View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 17th, 2014, 9:45 pm

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Good beat writers for the Lions? 
Stats Boy

Post Good beat writers for the Lions?
Hey guys, I've been working on a site that displays Lions related tweets and organizes them based on type (i.e. players, writers, bloggers). I have plenty of players and enough bloggers, but I'm struggling with finding enough good quality writers.

Do you guys happen to know any good writers I should add? I'm looking for guys that are good at breaking news or getting creditable rumors out. Not looking so much for the guys who like to talk about non-football or their personal life.

The only writers that seem to really cover the Lions I've found so far are:

@espn_nfcnblog
@lionsmlive
@schottey
@cmccosky
@ttwentyman
@davebirkett
@newslions
@freeplions
@kffllions

The site can be found here if you want to check it out or see how the writers I have work currently: http://www.nfltweeter.com/lions I'd appreciate any feedback on the site as well.

Any other writers besides the ones I'm using that you guys feel are worth adding?

Thanks again

April 23rd, 2012, 2:16 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Post Re: Good beat writers for the Lions?
Is that your site? If so, Kudos. Not only do I not follow twitter, I generally despise the concept. 99% of things people tweet nobody else Should give a poop about (but many do because not enough is going on in their life), but for things like sports I am ok with it, just refuse to set one up.

However this site is pretty amazing for the amount of combined valid content and I will probably end up checking it from time to time to see what people are disucssing Re: Lions even if I never actually sign up for twitter.

April 23rd, 2012, 2:39 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

It's not news, but @DirtySuh is pretty funny.

April 23rd, 2012, 3:07 pm
Team MVP

DJ-B wrote:
Is that your site? If so, Kudos. Not only do I not follow twitter, I generally despise the concept. 99% of things people tweet nobody else Should give a poop about (but many do because not enough is going on in their life), but for things like sports I am ok with it, just refuse to set one up.

However this site is pretty amazing for the amount of combined valid content and I will probably end up checking it from time to time to see what people are disucssing Re: Lions even if I never actually sign up for twitter.

Thank you! Couldnt agree more about the Twitter thing.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

April 23rd, 2012, 3:32 pm
Stats Boy

DJ-B wrote:

kdsberman wrote:

Thank you! Couldnt agree more about the Twitter thing.

Thanks DJ, glad you enjoy the site. I do hope you will continue to check it out or pass along to others who will find it useful.

And yep, that's one of the main reasons I created the site. Twitter is a mess and filled with garbage. I'm absolutely obsessed with football though. Rather we like it or not, twitter is becoming one of the fastest breaking news sources out there. This creates some sort of median. Still get breaking news, and organized news, for your team... but the fluff is filtered out.

Even for people with twitter, its just a more convenient way to look at team related tweets. Unfortunately the players can participate in the "garbage" tweets quite often. So separating them from the writers and bloggers allows you to look at only content you want.

Let me know if you guys come up with anymore writers I should throw in there.

April 23rd, 2012, 7:11 pm

Not to tweak the subject, but are you not looking for a way to monetize at somepoint? Id hope at least something like simple ads even if its just 1 at the top or bottom. Itsd a great idea and if marketed properly could end up making you some cheddar.

/business brain

And now back to Football. :)

April 23rd, 2012, 9:27 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Stats Boy

DJ-B wrote:
Not to tweak the subject, but are you not looking for a way to monetize at somepoint? Id hope at least something like simple ads even if its just 1 at the top or bottom. Itsd a great idea and if marketed properly could end up making you some cheddar.

/business brain

And now back to Football. :)

I am looking to monetize it. Just haven't figured out the right way yet. For starters I want to offer something of value to the end user. I don't want to start off with annoying or intrusive ads. I want to give the user what they want. Once I see a decent following I'm going to look at more innovative ways to advertise. I have a few ideas.

Thanks for your thoughts, glad you think its ad worthy!

April 23rd, 2012, 10:17 pm
Player of the Year - Defense

@AnwarRichardson is the guy who replaced killer.

As for monetizing it, you could run into legal issues since nothing being posted is yours. You're simply reposting other's words which would fall under copyright. Retweeting it is fine, but trying to sell it is no different than trying to take credit for reposting the New York Times on your own site and selling it.

April 24th, 2012, 12:26 am

njroar wrote:
@AnwarRichardson is the guy who replaced killer.

As for monetizing it, you could run into legal issues since nothing being posted is yours. You're simply reposting other's words which would fall under copyright. Retweeting it is fine, but trying to sell it is no different than trying to take credit for reposting the New York Times on your own site and selling it.

there is a big difference between charging a fee for people to view his site (which i believe he could get in trouble for) and putting ads on a site that is effectively just a tweet-filter. Cant see anything wrong with that nor any way he could get in trouble for it.

April 24th, 2012, 4:58 am
Profile ICQ WWW
Stats Boy

Anwar is awesome. Thanks man, good find. Keep them coming!

Yes, I plan to use ads. Ideally in a less intrusive and more strategic way. I've spoke with my attorney about it and he doesn't see any problems with having adds on the site or affiliates. Right now I'm more worried about having a good product. Thanks for your concern.

April 24th, 2012, 11:11 am

Great site. Love the info, hate Twitter, so this is perfect for me!

April 24th, 2012, 11:35 am
Modmin Dude

lionsflow wrote:
Anwar is awesome. Thanks man, good find. Keep them coming!
IMHO there isn't any good Lion's beat writers since Killer passed.
That said, for Lions info, I currently follow:
    @JohnKreger
    @JimBrandstatter
    @ttwentyman (Tim Twentyman)
    @DetroitLionsNFL
    @lionsinwinter
I think that's it....if I run across more I'll post them here.

April 24th, 2012, 1:07 pm
Stats Boy

thelomasbrowns wrote:

Yep twitter is a pain. Unfortunately there is a lot of good information in the middle of all the garbage.. not to mention thats the fastest way to figure it out. This just offers a way too see it with most the garbage filtered.

April 26th, 2012, 1:28 pm
1st Round Pick

Location: Cloudy Town, Minnesota. 763.18 miles from Ford Field
lionsflow wrote:
thelomasbrowns wrote:

Yep twitter is a pain. Unfortunately there is a lot of good information in the middle of all the garbage.. not to mention thats the fastest way to figure it out. This just offers a way too see it with most the garbage filtered.

Only reason I am on it...

@Lions2SB2

Follow me on Twitter: @W2G4U

April 26th, 2012, 4:16 pm
Profile WWW

I visit this site almost daily, but you should have some kind of feedback mechanism. Many of the active players (Chris Harris for example) aren't even on the team anymore.

Thanks for your efforts.

May 29th, 2012, 10:44 am
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next