View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently August 29th, 2014, 2:15 pm

Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 My last thought before the draft 
Post Re: My last thought before the draft
njroar wrote:
He isn't signing for the same reason most vets don't sign right away.... the ability to work out on their own with their own people instead of being relegated to the team facilities. You have to remember that the new CBA is very restrictive to how much working out players can do. Maybe Cliff feels he needs to work harder and he wouldn't get the same level at the facilities as he could working with a private company. As long as he doesn't sign, he doesn't have to report and he can't be fined since he's not under contract. If he signs and holds out, he's fined per day.

As for a trade, it won't happen unless its something Cliff has already agreed too. I think he'll sign one of the offer sheets to a long-term deal eventually, but there's no rush to get anything done right now.

BS! If he wanted to "voluntarily" workout harder, he could. The only reason he's not doing it is so he can dog it and not be subject to rigorous workouts that may get him hurt. He isn't doing this so he can "workout harder." That's nonsense.

April 23rd, 2012, 5:39 pm
Player of the Year - Defense

wjb21ndtown wrote:
njroar wrote:
He isn't signing for the same reason most vets don't sign right away.... the ability to work out on their own with their own people instead of being relegated to the team facilities. You have to remember that the new CBA is very restrictive to how much working out players can do. Maybe Cliff feels he needs to work harder and he wouldn't get the same level at the facilities as he could working with a private company. As long as he doesn't sign, he doesn't have to report and he can't be fined since he's not under contract. If he signs and holds out, he's fined per day.

As for a trade, it won't happen unless its something Cliff has already agreed too. I think he'll sign one of the offer sheets to a long-term deal eventually, but there's no rush to get anything done right now.

BS! If he wanted to "voluntarily" workout harder, he could. The only reason he's not doing it is so he can dog it and not be subject to rigorous workouts that may get him hurt. He isn't doing this so he can "workout harder." That's nonsense.

So its perfectly normal practice that Miami players have done for years, but nonsense that a Purdue player would do it? So anyone that doesn't do what you think they should do is a dog and being lazy. That's nonsense.

April 23rd, 2012, 6:30 pm
Veteran General Manager

wjb21ndtown wrote:
njroar wrote:

YEAH :!: Because by dogging it, it will help prove that he is deserving the contract that he wants :!:

April 23rd, 2012, 7:42 pm
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

I guess Drew Brees, Ray Rice, Matt Forte, and Wes Welker are also dogging it.

April 23rd, 2012, 7:46 pm
Heisman Winner

mwill2 wrote:
njroar wrote:

Exactly. Under the franchise tag, I'm pretty sure the player is only paid for regular season games. Avril can wait until after the preseason to sign without losing any money, right? At this point, waiting is the best way for him to gain leverage. He can make the team go through camp without him and see if that will motivate the front office to offer a better deal.

I'm with you on this one. Avril has only one lever to yank on in this scenario and it is to not sign and withold his 'services'. It's part of the negotiating process, nothing else. It doesn't make him a turd, its just how things work. Porcher did the same thing when they tagged him. He held out until training camp and signed a long term deal, for something in between his demands and the teams offer. I would be very surprised if he gets traded this week, to tell the truth.

April 23rd, 2012, 10:14 pm
QB Coach

The one thing I haven't seen mentioned here with regard to a possible Avril trade is that he can't be traded until he signs an offer. Currently he's not under contract, so the Lions can't trade him. He'd either have to sign his franchise tag, or agree to a different contract, sign that one, and then be traded. A player who hasn't signed can't be traded.

That's my understanding anyway. I could be wrong though....

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson

April 24th, 2012, 9:58 am
RIP Killer

Touchdown Jesus wrote:
The one thing I haven't seen mentioned here with regard to a possible Avril trade is that he can't be traded until he signs an offer. Currently he's not under contract, so the Lions can't trade him. He'd either have to sign his franchise tag, or agree to a different contract, sign that one, and then be traded. A player who hasn't signed can't be traded.

That's my understanding anyway. I could be wrong though....

I believe you are correct. He would have to sign his franchise offer, then the Lions could trade him for whatever they agree to. The team they trade him to would already have a deal ready for him to sign. If the Lions got a second and fourth round pick for him, I'd think it was worth it. I just don't see them getting a first rounder for Avril now....not with what seems to be a high contract demand.

April 24th, 2012, 10:49 am
RIP Killer

You are both correct, you cannot trade a player who hasn't signed a contract.

April 24th, 2012, 11:01 am
Profile WWW
Color Commentator - John Madden

I was glad to see that Asante Samuel was traded to Atlanta today. I didn't want a thing to do with him. I think he's a good player, but he's on the wrong side of 30 and I don't think that he's the player he used to be. He's also a gambler, which can be good, but if he's going to be relied on as your #1 CB, you don't want him gambling too often, because he'll get burned.

April 25th, 2012, 4:22 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

i cant wait till saturday which should be the last time we see todd mcshay for a while.

April 25th, 2012, 7:54 pm
Team MVP

Killwill25 wrote:
i cant wait till saturday which should be the last time we see todd mcshay for a while.

Amen to that.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

April 25th, 2012, 8:12 pm
RIP Killer

Wayne Fontes wrote:
I was glad to see that Asante Samuel was traded to Atlanta today. I didn't want a thing to do with him. I think he's a good player, but he's on the wrong side of 30 and I don't think that he's the player he used to be. He's also a gambler, which can be good, but if he's going to be relied on as your #1 CB, you don't want him gambling too often, because he'll get burned.

Well, first off nobody said he would be the number one corner here. I think Houston is a more consistent player. Secondly, if the Lions had traded for Samuel, I think they still would have taken a corner somewhere in the draft, even round one if Kirkpatrick somehow fell to them. If you can add talent to your roster, you do it. Not at any price, of course. I think the deal he was given was probably a bit too much, but I wouldn't have been too upset by it if the Lions gave him the same deal. He's still a good corner, and he's better than Aaron Berry, Alfonso Smith or anyone else we have right now behind Houston. And for a late round pick? I'd accept that all day long.

April 25th, 2012, 9:10 pm
Veteran General Manager

Reports are that Osi Umenyiora can be had for a 3rd round pick. I say do it.

April 25th, 2012, 9:34 pm
Varsity Captain

Agreed!

April 25th, 2012, 9:37 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

I just felt like more Mcshay abuse was needed

April 25th, 2012, 10:39 pm
Reply to topic   [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next