View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 22nd, 2014, 10:20 pm

Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 1st Round Pick 

Who do you like?
Janoris Jenkins-CB 6%  6%  [ 2 ]
Nick Perry-DE 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
Luke Kuechly-LB 9%  9%  [ 3 ]
Cordy Glenn-G/T 12%  12%  [ 4 ]
Peter Konz-C/G 39%  39%  [ 13 ]
Mike Adams-T 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Mark Barron-S 30%  30%  [ 10 ]
Total votes : 33

1st Round Pick 
Team MVP

Post Re: 1st Round Pick
Im not worried because i highly doubt we go OL in Rd 1 anyway. I think they are focused on defense.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

April 14th, 2012, 4:57 pm
Hall of Fame Player

kdsberman wrote:
Im not worried because i highly doubt we go OL in Rd 1 anyway. I think they are focused on defense.

You could be right...

Detroit Free Press wrote:
Expect Lions trades, but not at expense of future draft picks

April 16, 2012
By Dave Birkett
Detroit Free Press Sports Writer

The Lions tried to trade for the draft's best cornerback last year, offering first-, second- and fourth-round choices to Arizona in a failed bid to move up eight spots and take Patrick Peterson fifth overall.

It's unlikely they'll make a play for this year's best corner, Peterson's former LSU teammate Morris Claiborne -- the price to move into the top six from No. 23 would probably include future draft choices and be too prohibitive -- but history says there's a good chance the Lions will strike at least one deal.

In three years as Lions general manager, Martin Mayhew has made four draft-day trades and has moved up to get a player he covets each of the last two years. He has never given up a future year's pick in any of the deals.

In 2010, Mayhew moved up four spots to take running back Jahvid Best at the end of the first round. Last year, he climbed 18 spots for another running back, Mikel Leshoure, in the second round.

And in 2009, he moved down twice, sending the Lions' third-round pick to the Jets for three draft choices, and their sixth-rounder to Denver for a seventh-round pick and 2010 fifth-rounder.

While the jury remains out on the Best and Leshoure moves in part because of injuries to both players -- the Vikings took Chris Cook and Everson Griffen with the picks they got back in the Best trade, and Seattle got John Moffitt and Kris Durham -- Mayhew has been decisive and unwavering when it comes to acquiring top-notch talent.

So who could he target this year, and at what price?

Using the draft value chart and last year's offer for Peterson as a starting point, the Lions could move up to the 13th overall pick by parting with the same package of first-, second- and fourth-round choices.

That should be enough to land any defensive back besides Claiborne -- Alabama's Dre Kirkpatrick and Mark Barron are the most intriguing possibilities -- or a top prospect at a lesser position of need, such as guard David DeCastro (Stanford) or linebacker Luke Kuechly (Boston College).

The Lions might not need to go that high to get Kirkpatrick or South Carolina's Stephon Gilmore, two cornerbacks who've piqued their interest. But they could be tempted to move ahead of corner-needy teams such as the Bengals (who pick 17th and 21st) and Titans (20th) for a lesser package.

According to the draft value chart, first-, third- and fifth-round choices would be enough to wrestle the 16th pick from the Jets, first-, fourth- and fifth-rounders would get them ahead of the Titans, and both trades could include a late-round pick in return.

Is that too prohibitive a price to pay for a team with 21 returning starters, coming off a 10-6 season, with a starting spot open in the secondary? Come draft day, Mayhew might have to decide.

April 16th, 2012, 5:05 am
Profile WWW
wjb21ndtown wrote:
I really don't like the idea of Cordy Glenn at all. Maybe as a potential RT, but his weight issues and potential inteligence issues scare me. I'd rather draft a pure RT, or OG, or OC than draft a utility player with weight issues. I'd rather draft Kevin Zeitler, or Kelechi Osemele later in the draft than draft Glenn in the first round. I'm hoping he's gone (and I think he will be) and we don't have that decision to make.

After seeing tape of Glenn working out without pads, I've changed my opinion on him. It wasn't the workout that impressed me, it was seeing him without pads. I no longer have any concern that he has weight issues. His weight isn't in his gut, he's just a big, big man. I still think he's going to be gone when we pick, but if he's there I would love to land him. I think he can play OG or even OT for us immediately, and be an immediate upgrade over his replacement. Some people say he could be an LT. I wouldn't go that far, but I think he could be one of the best RTs in the game.

April 25th, 2012, 12:29 pm
Color Commentator - John Madden

I like Glenn enough to take at 23. I wouldn't want to move up for him. I think he's got a lot of talent, but I have some concerns about his foot speed at LT. Other than that, he could replace Gos at RT or Peterman at RG. If there aren't any better options at CB or DE, then I'd feel even better about taking Glenn. I think he's a good enough player that he may qualify as BPA when we pick.

I don't want to trade up, even though there are some good players that will go 5-8 spots ahead of us. Is a trade down a possibility? Sure, and Denver might be a team that wants to move ahead of the Steelers to grab either a RB or DL.

April 25th, 2012, 4:07 pm
Varsity Captain

How far do you think the Lions would have to move up in order to draft Baron?

What the trade entail?

April 26th, 2012, 3:44 am
Hall of Fame Player

Boz wrote:

What the trade entail?

The cost would be way to much! We'd probably need to get to the 6-12 range and probably cost our 1st & 2nd this year plus next years 1st. If you thought this was the one player you needed to get you to the big dance then maybe; but it's to much when we're still this far away.

April 26th, 2012, 8:27 am
Profile WWW
Team MVP

LionFan57 wrote:
Boz wrote:

What the trade entail?

The cost would be way to much! We'd probably need to get to the 6-12 range and probably cost our 1st & 2nd this year plus next years 1st. If you thought this was the one player you needed to get you to the big dance then maybe; but it's to much when we're still this far away.

I agree. I wouldnt move up that far for anyone. I am all for moving up maybe 4 spots at the most to get Dre though.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

April 26th, 2012, 10:44 am
RIP Killer

LionFan57 wrote:
Boz wrote:

What the trade entail?

Agreed. Mark Barron is getting a bunch of looks as early as the 6th or 7th overall pick. Getting that pick would cost us tremendously, and I don't know that Barron is quite as good as Eric Berry, who was taken 5th overall.
I'd prefer the Lions to wait and see if they can move up a few spots if someone like Gilmore or Kirkpatrick is still there at #16 or so. Trade our third rounder and move up and grab him.

April 26th, 2012, 10:44 am
RIP Killer

PFT wrote:
Lions may look to move up for a starter in the secondary

Detroit’s secondary struggled in a season-ending loss to the Packers and a postseason-ending loss to the Saints, and if the Lions want to take the next step and beat good passing teams like the Packers and Saints next season, secondary is a position they’d like to upgrade tonight in the first round of the NFL draft. And the Lions might just be desperate enough for secondary help that they’ll trade up to get a player they’re confident can start from Day One.

Four players in this year’s draft look like they could step in and start immediately and provide an upgrade in the Lions’ secondary: Cornerbacks Morris Claiborne, Stephon Gilmore and Dre Kirkpatrick, and safety Mark Barron. There’s virtually no chance of the Lions landing Claiborne, but there has been some discussion that the Lions might try to move up to secure Gilmore or Kirkpatrick, and ESPN’s John Clayton reported this morning that Detroit would love to be able to move up to get Barron.

Getting Barron, however, would be costly. When I wrote yesterday that I didn’t buy the mock drafts having the Eagles drafting Barron at No. 15, Adam Schefter wrote back that not only would the Eagles not get a chance at 15, the Cowboys wouldn’t get a chance at him at 14, either. Moving up for Barron would require a jump up at least 10 spots for the Lions, who have the 23rd pick in the first round, and that may be a bigger jump than the Lions can afford to take.

Gilmore is likely to be gone within the first dozen picks, too, and that means the Lions likely won’t get him either. That leaves Kirkpatrick, whose stock seems to be dropping as reporters get more information from teams about where they rank him, and that means the Lions may have a shot at him. Kirkpatrick thinks the Lions would be a perfect fit for him, and if the Lions agree, they may decide to move up a few spots to ensure it can happen.

and

Det News wrote:
NFL draft: Doubtful Lions would take a chance on Janoris Jenkins

NEW YORK – The draft prospect who has sparked the most spirited debate among Detroit Lions fans is North Alabama cornerback Janoris Jenkins.

From a talent standpoint, Jenkins is considered one of the top corners in the draft and someone who belongs in the top half of the first round. But he comes with major character flaws and presents a serious risk for whichever team drafts him.

While the Lions, despite a glaring need at cornerback, are expected to pass on Jenkins with the 23rd pick, Sports Illustrated’s Peter King tweeted this morning that he’s “hearing some noise about Janoris Jenkins at the bottom of round one."

The New England Patriots and Cincinnati Bengals both have two picks in the second half the first round and a need at cornerback. Both Bengals picks (17 and 21) come before the Lions are on the clock.

Jenkins started his college career at Florida but was dismissed from the team last spring after his third arrest (and second for possession of marijuana). He also has four kids by three women.

NFL Network draft analyst Mike Mayock said Wednesday he doesn’t expect Jenkins to go in the first round.

“Love his tape,” Mayock said. “He’s got great feet. He’s as natural a corner as there is in the draft, but there’s a long litany of issues off the field, and I don’t see it happening in the first round.”

April 26th, 2012, 12:21 pm
Profile WWW
Team MVP

Mayock obviously knows a ton more than I do. He doesnt think Jenkins goes in the 1st...I do (actually, I have the Lions taking him. The way I look at it is, ya..he has done some really stupid things, and did them over and over again. But he (apparently) grew up from that stuff. And he is being 100% honest about. Its not a maturity thing like Burfict. Jimmy Smith had issues last year, but he went 1st Rd. I know Jenkins is worse but..

I dont know. I see him going in first round.

April 26th, 2012, 2:19 pm
RIP Killer

more and more buzz about the Lions trading up

MLive wrote:
ESPN's John Clayton says Detroit Lions interested in trading up for Alabama safety Mark Barron

According to John Clayton, the Lions are making a play to move up and draft Alabama safety Mark Barron.

Outside of the first few picks, there is little certainty about how the first round of the NFL Draft will shake out. Even if you think you have a good idea what teams are looking for, it's difficult to account for potential trades and how they will impact the the draft board.

The Detroit Lions are sitting at 23, and it's increasing expected the team will be unable to address its biggest need -- the secondary -- at that position. Safety Mark Barron and cornerbacks Morris Claiborne, Stephon Gilmore and Dre Kirkpatrick are all projected to be off the board.

The team has other options at 23, including the best defensive end or offensive lineman remaining, or they could look to trade up. According to ESPN's John Clayton, that's exactly what the Lions are exploring just hours before the draft.

In a SportsCenter segment that aired Thursday afternoon, Clayton said the Lions are looking to move up 10 to 12 spots, with Barron as their primary target.

Clayton reported New England and San Diego are also interested in trading up for Barron. The Patriots hold two first-round picks (27, 31), while the Chargers are currently at 18.

Talking about the possibility of moving up at a press conference last week, Lions general manager Martin Mayhew said the new rookie salary scale has made it easier.

"I think it's made it more likely for teams to go up into the high picks."

Mayhew has shown a willingness in recent drafts to move up the board for a target. In 2010, the Lions got back into the first round to select Jahvid Best. Last year, the team again moved up for a running back, taking Mikel Leshoure in the second round.

Detroit also made a play for Patrick Peterson last year, offering the Arizona Cardinals a package of picks for their No. 5 selection. The Cardinals declined the offer and made the cornerback out of LSU their top choice.

April 26th, 2012, 2:44 pm
Profile WWW
Team MVP

Regarding the above Mark Clayton report:

WOW.

Id be excited as hell to get Mark Barron. But we can forget about next years first round pick, thats for sure.

April 26th, 2012, 2:53 pm
RIP Killer

kdsberman wrote:

WOW.

Id be excited as hell to get Mark Barron. But we can forget about next years first round pick, thats for sure.

pick 32 is virtually a 2nd rounder... :shock:

April 26th, 2012, 3:15 pm
Profile WWW
Team MVP

Pablo wrote:
kdsberman wrote:

WOW.

pick 32 is virtually a 2nd rounder... :shock:

What are you saying.

April 26th, 2012, 3:20 pm
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

There are teams in the top-10 that are apparently desperate to trade down. If that's true--if there are multiple teams wanting to trade down--then that's good news for any team trying to trade up. The Lions can essentially shop for the best trade-up deal and pull the trigger if Barron (or whomever) falls to the right spot.

One thing we know for sure about Mayhew--he doesn't get fleeced in trades. If the Lions trade up in this draft, I expect it will be a relatively good bargain.

April 26th, 2012, 3:22 pm
Reply to topic   [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next