View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 22nd, 2014, 12:24 am

Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 My last thought before the draft 
Heisman Winner

Post Re: My last thought before the draft
My final thoughts: Mayhew had to be somewhat in disbelief as he watched the Packers backup QB and the Saints absolutely maul our secondary in the end. The lack of depth got completely exposed and these are the type of teams that will show your weakness in the playoffs.

I know they are a BPA type of mindset and luckily the CB position is deep enough to make that a reality at 23. If it's not a CB, I would expect them to try and get back into the first or early second to nab Jenkins or another that could fall.

I trust them to do the right thing (whatever the pick is) but I know I'll be disappointed if they don't address CB early.

My rankings:

1. Kirkpatrick (and my gut feeling on who they take)
2. Gilmore
3. Jenkins

April 26th, 2012, 10:09 am
Color Commentator - John Madden

m2karateman wrote:
Wayne Fontes wrote:
I was glad to see that Asante Samuel was traded to Atlanta today. I didn't want a thing to do with him. I think he's a good player, but he's on the wrong side of 30 and I don't think that he's the player he used to be. He's also a gambler, which can be good, but if he's going to be relied on as your #1 CB, you don't want him gambling too often, because he'll get burned.

Well, first off nobody said he would be the number one corner here. I think Houston is a more consistent player. Secondly, if the Lions had traded for Samuel, I think they still would have taken a corner somewhere in the draft, even round one if Kirkpatrick somehow fell to them. If you can add talent to your roster, you do it. Not at any price, of course. I think the deal he was given was probably a bit too much, but I wouldn't have been too upset by it if the Lions gave him the same deal. He's still a good corner, and he's better than Aaron Berry, Alfonso Smith or anyone else we have right now behind Houston. And for a late round pick? I'd accept that all day long.

$6 Mil a year for 3 years? I don't know. That scares me a bit.

April 26th, 2012, 10:13 am
RIP Killer

Wayne Fontes wrote:
m2karateman wrote:
Wayne Fontes wrote:
I was glad to see that Asante Samuel was traded to Atlanta today. I didn't want a thing to do with him. I think he's a good player, but he's on the wrong side of 30 and I don't think that he's the player he used to be. He's also a gambler, which can be good, but if he's going to be relied on as your #1 CB, you don't want him gambling too often, because he'll get burned.

Well, first off nobody said he would be the number one corner here. I think Houston is a more consistent player. Secondly, if the Lions had traded for Samuel, I think they still would have taken a corner somewhere in the draft, even round one if Kirkpatrick somehow fell to them. If you can add talent to your roster, you do it. Not at any price, of course. I think the deal he was given was probably a bit too much, but I wouldn't have been too upset by it if the Lions gave him the same deal. He's still a good corner, and he's better than Aaron Berry, Alfonso Smith or anyone else we have right now behind Houston. And for a late round pick? I'd accept that all day long.

$6 Mil a year for 3 years? I don't know. That scares me a bit.

Well if we don't get one of the top 3 corners in the draft, and I think the chances of landing one are slim, any opposing QB is going to scare me.

April 26th, 2012, 10:30 am
Profile WWW

The more I look at the board, the more I think we'll be taking a lineman if they stay at 23.

There are a couple of DB's who I'd consider drafting in the second or third rounds
1) Trumaine Johnson CB/S Montana
2) Jamell Flemming CB Oklahoma
3) Ron Brooks CB LSU

If we got Mercilus, Johnson, and Brooks in the first three rounds, I'd be happy with that. You could then spend 4-7 on OL and value picks.

April 26th, 2012, 10:47 am
Pro Bowl Player

IF the Lions were really testing the market for simply acquiring Samuel, they certainly didn't try hard. I think they were trying to package a deal that gave them draft picks. Atlanta didn't give much at all.

I've seen another theory that has Avril going to the Pat's for the 31st pick overall. But at this point I tend to agree with M2k that the market for him is dried up.

I still believe that DE, WR, and RB are the 3 biggest want's based solely on who the Lions brought in for workouts. If there is one thing I know about Schwartz it's that he puts a premium on pass rusher's first.

I'd be a little shocked to see them take a gamble on a player like Kirkpatrick, or an Olineman (with the whole continuity thing being there and Jeff Backus signing a 2 year 10million deal) in the first round. But they did bring in a few OL's so it's certainly possible. We shall see

April 26th, 2012, 12:29 pm
Profile WWW

Avril hasn't signed his tender so technically he can't be traded. If he were to sign elsewhere we'd get 2 firsts, but they wouldn't be this year.

I think an OL is a possibility, but I don't think a certainty. If they move up, they'd have to go up to like 17 to get ahead of SD, Chicago, and Tennessee who all have issues at CB.

If they trade down, I say get out of the first round all together and try to get a team like St. Louis or Cleveland (3 first rounders!) to jump back in and get some picks at the top of the second.

April 26th, 2012, 1:28 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

DAMMIT. i hope being cheap helps our swiss cheese secondary this season. i see a trade down in our future

April 26th, 2012, 9:48 pm
Reply to topic   [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4