View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently December 19th, 2014, 6:42 pm

Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Lions select Riley Reiff, OT, Iowa (Rd 1) 
Hall of Fame Player

Post Re: Lions select Riley Reiff, OT, Iowa (Rd 1)
But, it's too late now to take it back. So, hopefully, we can find a couple of gems in the next couple of rounds.

April 26th, 2012, 11:48 pm
All State

I find it ironic that we drafted an OT and I'm STILL sad even though this is what we've been wanting for years. I just think the No. 1 prospect Right OG would have been a better pick then the No. 2 OT who may or may not have the talent to become a LT. Is he better then Gos? I'm sure he is. Put him in at the start of the season, and push Gos to RG and Peterman off the MF'in roster. I would still have rather had DeCastro, Glenn, or Konz who could have all played RG or maybe Center(Konz mainly) vs. a guy that can play RT and MAYBE LT.

April 26th, 2012, 11:49 pm
Div 1 - Starter

BillySims wrote:
mwill2 wrote:
BillySims wrote:
Reif was the OT that I least wanted. He will not play LT in the NFL. He is projected as nothing more than a Guard by most NFL GM's. At least Adams is a Road Grader in the Running game.

Oh well. I guess I'll have to endure the next decade of a repeat of the hate for Backus only shifted to Reif.

I'm not even mad about this pick though. I have gotten used to the fact that I usually am disappointed with our top pick. The only exceptions to that was Stafford,Suh, and Fairely.

I've not seen him projected as a "nothing more than a guard" by anyone. The various reports I've read all indicate that he's a legit RT and a possible LT. If he happens to be able to play G as well, that's fine, but it seems he'll be able to play RT at the very least.

We'll find out soon enough where he fits and what he can really do, I guess.

So, your saying that because you haven't seen it, it didn't happen. What you seen is what reporters say about him. I listen to Sirius NFL radio all day every day. I hear from NFL GM's and other personnel guys.
I'm not saying your wrong about him. I'm just passing the info I have heard about him.

Anyway, maybe next year will be the first time in the a decade that every jackwagon under the sun won't be projecting an OT to us. Even the last 3 years, something like 60% of all mocks had us taking an OT. Just proves that it's true. If you fling enough turds at the wall, eventually, 1 will stick.

you say you listen to nfl channel all day, well tell us who has made these statements about him only being able to play guard? i have to tell you i drive truck all day long and listen to the nfl channel and i havent heard that at all. well i will admit i dont listen to much of the blitz or late hits because i really cant stand listening to adam shein or gill brandt. adam shein is as dumb as they come and i cant believe that they even put him on the air and gill brandt just always gets off subject telling a story that nobody wants to hear. but that sounds about like something that adam shein would say. everybody had him picked to go in the top 15.

April 27th, 2012, 12:02 am
Color Commentator - John Madden

Being from Iowa and being a Hawkeye fan I am happy with the pick. He is an immediate upgrade at the right tackle position and will push Backus for the left tackle spot. This will bring depth and youth to an aging o-line. While he may never be a pro-bowl LT I think he will be a better LT than Backus. Above average LT and a good pick IMHO.

walterfootball.com wrote:
Riley Reiff, 6-5/313

Offensive Tackle

Iowa

Riley Reiff Scouting Report
By Charlie Campbell

Strengths:
Quick feet
Mirrors well with speed rushers
Knee bend
Anchors well against bull rushers
Quality run blocker
Good pad level
Mobility to hit blocks on the second level
Athletic
Recoverability
Reliable pass protector
Smart
Advanced technique
Flexible to play zone-blocking or man-blocking scheme
Kicks out well to set up perimeter runs
Ready to play immediately in the NFL
Durable
Experienced

Weaknesses:
Arm length is less than ideal
Doesn't overpower in the ground game
Allowed some sacks in 2011
Good enough athleticism, but not an elite athlete

Summary: The consensus second-rated offensive tackle in the 2012 NFL Draft is a well-rounded prospect. Reiff is a good athlete who is a dependable pass protector and a quality run blocker. Reiff was clearly well coached at Iowa, and he enters the NFL with the ability to be a high level technician at left tackle.

In the pass-driven NFL, teams need reliable blind-side protectors, and Reiff fits the bill. He has quick feet and mirrors speed rushers well. He has good knee bend that allows him to maintain leverage against defensive linemen. Reiff has enough strength and weight in his base to anchor against bull rushers.

Reiff had an excellent game last season against Pitt speed-rusher Brandon Lindsey. Everything that Lindsey threw at Reiff was stopped with ease. However, Reiff allowed a sack to Pitt defensive end Aaron Donald. Against Oklahoma, Reiff faired well against pass rusher Frank Alexander. As in the Pitt contest, another defender, R.J. Washington, beat Reiff for a sack. Reiff generally was very dependable to be a good pass protector for Iowa.

Reiff is a strong run blocker who has the strength to move linemen off the line of scrimmage. He can be a drive blocker and has the mobility to hit blocks on the second level of the defense. Iowa had a strong ground game and Reiff was an essential part of it.

Reiff should be able to step in and play immediately in the NFL. It would be a good idea though to give Reiff some help against speed-rushers, as is the case with most rookies, if not veterans. It is expected that Reiff will go in the 6-13 range of the 2012 NFL Draft, and be a long-term answer at tackle for the team that takes him. Reiff also projects to have the ability play right tackle.

Player Comparison: Ryan Clady. Reiff's game mirrors Clady. They both are nice athletes who play with good technique. Clady is a well-rounded blocker who can run block and pass block. In the 2008 NFL Draft, the Broncos took Clady with the 12th overall pick. Reiff should go in the same area.

NFL Matches: St. Louis, Miami, Carolina, Buffalo, Kansas City, Arizona

As mentioned, Reiff should go in the 6-13 range on draft day. The Rams need a left tackle, and if they miss out on Trent Richardson or Justin Blackmon, they might take Reiff with the sixth selection. The Dolphins need a right tackle, and Reiff could be the best player available at a position of need. Carolina will consider offensive tackle as Jordan Gross will finish his career before Cam Newton enters his prime. The Panthers could start Reiff at right tackle before having him replace Gross in a few years.

The Bills need tackle help and Reiff could be their guy at No. 10. The Chiefs have a huge hole at right tackle, and if they don't sign a veteran free agent, Reiff could fill the void for Kansas City. If he some how he gets past those five teams, it would be a surprise if the Cardinals passed on him at 13. Tackle has been a weak spot for them for years, and Reiff would be an instant upgrade.

April 27th, 2012, 12:03 am
Pro Bowl Player

Great Pick. A typical "best player that fell to us" Mayhew move. I don't expect to be getting back into the top 10 draft picks anymore so I will gladly deal with being wrong about what I thought the Lions might do. Crazy as heck first round. Precision pick by the Lions, love it!

April 27th, 2012, 12:16 am
Profile WWW
Player of the Year - Offense

BillySims wrote:
mwill2 wrote:
BillySims wrote:
Reif was the OT that I least wanted. He will not play LT in the NFL. He is projected as nothing more than a Guard by most NFL GM's. At least Adams is a Road Grader in the Running game.

Oh well. I guess I'll have to endure the next decade of a repeat of the hate for Backus only shifted to Reif.

I'm not even mad about this pick though. I have gotten used to the fact that I usually am disappointed with our top pick. The only exceptions to that was Stafford,Suh, and Fairely.

I've not seen him projected as a "nothing more than a guard" by anyone. The various reports I've read all indicate that he's a legit RT and a possible LT. If he happens to be able to play G as well, that's fine, but it seems he'll be able to play RT at the very least.

We'll find out soon enough where he fits and what he can really do, I guess.

So, your saying that because you haven't seen it, it didn't happen. What you seen is what reporters say about him. I listen to Sirius NFL radio all day every day. I hear from NFL GM's and other personnel guys.
I'm not saying your wrong about him. I'm just passing the info I have heard about him.

Anyway, maybe next year will be the first time in the a decade that every jackwagon under the sun won't be projecting an OT to us. Even the last 3 years, something like 60% of all mocks had us taking an OT. Just proves that it's true. If you fling enough turds at the wall, eventually, 1 will stick.

If you listen to GMs prior to the draft, you're inhaling the smoke screen, or you're listening to ex-GMs.

Mayhew said they believe he can play 4 positions (everyone except C). He doesn't have to replace Backus this year, but he immediately displaces Peterman wherever he plays, and can step up for Backus next year.

BPA isn't what we think, its BPA according to the front office.

April 27th, 2012, 12:32 am
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

Billy, you aren't the only person who gets Sirius NFL radio. I've been listening ever since that channel was launched. It's not exactly exclusive information. Who on that radio station is claiming to have access to the entire league's draft boards? Sure, I've heard concerns about Reiff's athleticism but he's still been discussed as a tackle. I've not heard that "most" teams view him as "only" a guard.

But for the sake of argument, let's assume that indeed "most NFL GMs" view Reiff as "nothing more than a guard." Given that Mayhew has drafted better than "most NFL GMs" over the past few years, shouldn't we value his board more than everyone else's board?

And even if he is "only" a guard, most folks complaining about the pick wanted DeCastro. A guard.

For the record, at Martin Mayhew's press conference tonight, he said Reiff can play four positions on our OL. Schwartz said Reiff is a left tackle. Post-draft rhetoric, I know, but the Lions obviously think highly of him.

April 27th, 2012, 12:32 am
Player of the Year - Offense

Here's the one thing that boggles me...

33 1⁄4 in (84.5 cm) arms

Joe Thomas (32 1⁄2 in 82.6 cm)
Jake Long (32 7⁄8 in 83.5 cm)

How are they less than ideal?

April 27th, 2012, 12:44 am
Color Commentator - John Madden

njroar wrote:
Here's the one thing that boggles me...

33 1⁄4 in (84.5 cm) arms

Joe Thomas (32 1⁄2 in 82.6 cm)
Jake Long (32 7⁄8 in 83.5 cm)

How are they less than ideal?

From what I have read technique is more important than arm length........When it all comes down to it tape is the most important factor when evaluating any player. Look at all the combine studs who have been huge busts. Vernon Ghoston, Jason Smith, etc.

April 27th, 2012, 12:51 am
Hall of Fame Player

BillySims wrote:

Pure Nonsense!

I'm going with Schwartz's take on Reiff!

The Detroit News wrote:
April 26, 2012 at 1:00 am

Lions draft OT Riley Reiff with 23rd overall pick
By Chris McCosky
The Detroit News

The 6-5, 313-pound Riley Reiff was a three-time state wrestling champion in high school in South Dakota. (Associated Press)

Allen Park— Jim Schwartz was very direct.

Iowa offensive lineman Riley Reiff, who the Lions took with the 23rd overall pick Thursday, is a left tackle, Schwartz said, and he's not a developmental player.

"It's not very often that the second offensive lineman on your board goes off at 23," Schwartz said. "Historically, there's four offensive lineman off the board by that point. We were very fortunate to be sitting at 23 and able to get the best player on our board who plays a position we where we were looking to get some younger players into the pipeline."

Reiff, the first Big Ten player selected, is just under 6-6 and 313 pounds and has been compared to Titans Pro Bowl tackle Michael Roos. He has average arm length, but he compensates with exceptional footwork and athleticism.

General manager Martin Mayhew said he could play every offensive line position except center, but Schwartz narrowed it down.

"He's a left tackle," Schwartz said. "He fits the criteria that you want at that position. He's big, tough, he's a former tight end and a three-time state wrestling champ (South Dakota). He comes from a great tradition of offensive linemen at Iowa. He's a good run blocker and a good pass protector.

"Even though he is young and will still improve in certain areas, we're not drafting a guy that's a developmental player."

So what does that mean for starting left tackle Jeff Backus, who will turn 35 in September and is coming off biceps surgery? Will he have to fight for his job? Will he be moved to guard?

"It's way too early to take that approach," Schwartz said. "We'll put them all out there and we'll play. Their play in training camp, in the OTAs and in the preseason, that will determine those things, not anything we are thinking right now."

Reiff is just glad for the chance to compete. Even though he was expected to go much higher than 23, he was not in New York Thursday. Instead, he was sitting in his barn at his home in Parkston, S.D., when he got the call.

"I wasn't watching TV," he said. "I just told myself, 'Whatever happens happens.' It didn't matter to me (where he was drafted). I'm just ready to play football and I am super excited to be a Detroit Lion."

As for competing for a starting job, Reiff was respectful but clearly up for the challenge.

"I will come in and compete and try to learn from the guys," he said. "We will see how it works out. I just know I am going to come in and work hard and make the best of it."

Reiff took over the left tackle spot at Iowa for All-American Bryan Bulaga (Packers). He started 37 of 39 games, 29 of those at left tackle. According to Iowa statistics, he had 38 touchdown-resulting blocks and 264 knock-down blocks in more than 2,500 plays.

"He's big, smart, tough and versatile," Mayhew said. "He was a three-year starter in a good program. We came into the draft thinking we needed to add some young players to that (offensive line) group and Riley fits the mold."

That said, Mayhew worked hard on Thursday to move up higher in the draft in hopes of landing a cornerback. South Carolina's Stephon Gilmore went at No. 10 to Buffalo and Alabama's Dre Kirkpatrick went at No. 17 to Cincinnati.

"We looked at all our options," Mayhew said. "We tried to go up and at one point we talked about moving back. We stayed put and were able to get a really good player."

Reiff had one brief run-in with the police at Iowa. He was involved in a chase on campus during his freshman year. The incident barely raised a flag with the Lions.

"We felt very confident with his explanation," Schwartz said. "It happened right when he went on campus as a freshman. It's something that's long in his past and he hasn't had any issues since. We all have done things as freshmen in college we don't want coming back. We are confident it was an isolated incident."

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2012 ... z1tEeQzEHf

What a monster.

This is why you don't spend a fortune in picks to trade up. (See Jerry Jones). There's still quality players that come to you.

April 27th, 2012, 6:37 am
Profile WWW
1st Round Pick

I like this pick.

1. We will undoubtably have a glaring need at LT in the next season or two. The GM of the Vikqueens had the following to say about LT's in free agency (admittadly, about Kalil): "There is never or rarely ever a left tackle that's going to come available in the unrestricted free agent market". Hopefully, we will be picking in the bottom third of the next two drafts. So to be able to pick up what many saw as a top 15 talent LT at 23 in the draft seems like a no-brainer to me. Billy's not happy with the pick, seeing it as another decade of Jeff Bakus mkII rather than the premier LT he was hoping for, but where were we ever going to get a Matt Kalil type player given the reality of the LT FA market and where we should be picking in the draft?

2. wjb advocated heavily for Konz and made a number of good points in favour of that pick (even if those points may have been repeated a touch more than was necessary :) ) - ie he makes an aging unit instantly younger, he makes the unit instantly better (beating out Peterman for G this year) and he potentially fills a crucial position for the forseable future (beating out Raiola next year). I think all those positives apply for Reif too - he makes the OL younger, he makes it better (beating out Godser, who may then slide to RG) and he potentially fills a crucial position (LT) for the forseable future.

3. Best case scenario for our OL in 2013 - Reiff turns out to be a LT calibre player, Godser turns out to be a better RG than he was RT, one of Fox or Culbreath turns out to be a starting RT, we get a centre of the future in the remainder of this draft or the next. We start: LT - Reiff; LG - Simms; C - Riola (mentoring our C pick); RG - Godser; RT - Fox/Culbreath. That's an oline that could be set and playing together for years.

4. Overall, looks like another classy Mayhew move to me. Whilst all around him were giving away draft picks to move up, we essentially picked up 8 or more spots of value and filled a positon of need, without giving anything up.

5. I am always a massive kool-aid drinker around this time of year - I struggle to think of any Lions picks I criticised at the time they were made, even during the Millen years :shock: :lol: . So take everything above with a massive pinch of salt and start preparing for the worst! Still, I've got a lot of faith in Mayhew, so a bit more hope that I might be proven right ...

April 27th, 2012, 6:45 am
Hall of Fame Player

The Detroit News wrote:
April 27, 2012 at 1:47 am

Lions pick Riley Reiff is good insurance for Mayhew's previous investment

John Niyo

The 6-5, 313-pound Riley Reiff was a three-time state wrestling champion in high school in South Dakota. (Associated Press)

Allen Park -- Martin Mayhew was an NFL cornerback, so he knows the value of that position better than most.

Now he's a general manager, though, so he has to know the true value of every position on an NFL roster.

And since his franchise quarterback is probably worth at least $100 million on his next contract — to say nothing of the $70 million-plus rookie deal quarterback Matthew Stafford signed as the No. 1 overall draft pick a few years ago — Mayhew had to know the pick was obvious when NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell put the Lions on the clock Thursday night.

Protect your investment with a value pick at a premium-value position. And that's exactly what Mayhew did, making Iowa offensive tackle Riley Reiff the choice with the 23rd pick of the first round.

"A good, solid offensive lineman," the Lions GM said. "We came into this draft thinking that we needed to try to add some young players to that group."

So they did, just as I argued they'd better back in January.

With three starters on the offensive line in their 30s, the eldest being veteran left tackle Jeff Backus, who'll turn 35 in September, this one simply makes sense.

Backus has been as durable as they come, starting 176 consecutive games ever since Matt Millen made him his first draft pick as GM in 2001. But he's coming off another significant injury — surgery to repair a torn bicep muscle, after last year's torn pectoral — this offseason.

Throw in an uncertain future at right tackle with an inconsistent starter in Gosder Cherilus, who at 27 is a year removed from microfracture knee surgery, and you've got real concerns about Stafford's well-being moving forward.

Second lineman picked

In his first three years at the helm, Mayhew drafted only three offensive linemen among 21 picks, spending his resources elsewhere. Two of those linemen were seventh-round picks, one of whom (Lydon Murtha) was plucked off the Lions practice squad by Miami and the other (Johnny Culbreath) who spent his rookie season on injured reserve and then got busted for marijuana possession in January.

Backus' presumptive heir until now was Jason Fox, a fourth-round pick in 2010 who has missed most of his first two seasons with injuries. The Lions haven't given up on him, but they can't count on him anymore than they can count on Backus playing until he's 40.

"It's very important," Mayhew said. "We like the guys we have. It's good to have five quality starters. But it's good to have a young guy in the pipeline with Riley's talent level."

The Lions were a bit surprised Reiff was still available when they selected. That's what teams always say, of course. But as coach Jim Schwartz noted, "It's not very often that the second offensive lineman goes off the board at No. 23 overall. Historically, there's usually about four guys off the board by then."

That might say something about this year's class of offensive lineman — and most mock drafts overrated Stanford's Jonathan Martin and Georgia's Cordy Glenn — but there's a lot to like about Reiff, the first Big Ten player selected Thursday night.

I might've gone with Stanford guard David DeCastro, who went with the next pick to Pittsburgh. (The Steelers always seem to get it right, don't they?) But Reiff appears to be a more athletic version of Green Bay's Bryan Bulaga, his predecessor at Iowa, where coach Kirk Ferentz knows how to develop linemen.

Reiff is strong and tough — a three-time state champion wrestler who lost just one match among 132 in high school — and smart, all the traits the Lions decision-makers keep talking about. No surprise, then, that Mayhew began his Thursday night press conference like this: "Riley Reiff. Big, smart, tough guy."

Secondary issues

They came in thinking about other needs, certainly. Most notably, there's a flashing red light at cornerback, and Mayhew confirmed the team looked to move up, likely with an eye on addressing it.

This year's draft began with a flurry of such moves, too. There were four trades in the first half-hour of Thursday night's first round. There were four in the entire first round last year.

So if nothing else, this new collective bargaining agreement — complete with a rookie wage scale — has made Day 1 of the draft a little more entertaining, even if Seahawks owner Paul Allen was spoiling the suspense on his Twitter account. That's a little late for the Lions, who spent roughly Allen's net worth on top-10 selections over the last decade or so.

But for a change, those picks finally started panning out, beginning with Calvin Johnson, who was in New York to celebrate his new video-game fame and dropped by Radio City Music Hall to announce the Lions' selection.

It wasn't a cornerback, but I wouldn't fret about that yet. Secondary help is readily available on Day 2.

And as Mayhew will admit, cornerbacks aren't the premium position that quarterbacks, offensive tackles and defensive lineman are, even in this pass-happy league.

Still, a run on defensive backs began with Dallas trading up to No. 6 to land LSU's Morris Claiborne.

After Buffalo selected South Carolina cornerback Stephon Gilmore, a player the Lions — and some other teams — coveted with the 10th pick, the likelihood of landing a cornerback in the first round had dwindled. Cincinnati's pick at No. 17 — Alabama's Dre Kirkpatrick — was the last, best option. (And no, Janoris Jenkins wasn't a serious option for any NFL team Thursday night.)

"We tried to go up," Mayhew said. "At one point we were talking about moving back. We ended up staying put and got a really good player."

At a really important position.

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2012 ... z1tEjGyPuJ

I heard the rumor that the Lions tried to trade up but I'm glad they didn't. I'm guessing they considered trading back and get Konz because they never expected Reiff to be there at # 23!

April 27th, 2012, 6:53 am
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

Reiff was seen as a guard by some teams because of his short arms. That said, it doesn't mean he can't play LT in the pros. There are plenty of guys who play LT that don't have Crane-like wingspans. Reiff gives us someone who can step into one of four positions if called upon. I would have preferred DeCastro, but I will trust the front office in Allen Park.

April 27th, 2012, 7:00 am
Rookie Player of the Year

m2karateman wrote:
Reiff was seen as a guard by some teams because of his short arms. That said, it doesn't mean he can't play LT in the pros. There are plenty of guys who play LT that don't have Crane-like wingspans. Reiff gives us someone who can step into one of four positions if called upon. I would have preferred DeCastro, but I will trust the front office in Allen Park.

Looks solid to me...

April 27th, 2012, 7:03 am
RIP Killer

photoshopped your arms onto his body....... [-X

April 27th, 2012, 7:06 am
Reply to topic   [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next