View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently December 21st, 2014, 12:44 am

Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Lions select Riley Reiff, OT, Iowa (Rd 1) 
1st Round Pick

Post Re: Lions select Riley Reiff, OT, Iowa (Rd 1)
With nearly a third of the first round picks spent on d-line (7 DEs and 3 DTs), is there any doubt that this is now a passing league where a good pass rush is seen as the best form of defence?

Kind of makes me feel a bit better about our decision on Avril.

April 27th, 2012, 7:50 am
Hall of Fame Player

UK Lion wrote:
With nearly a third of the first round picks spent on d-line (7 DEs and 3 DTs), is there any doubt that this is now a passing league where a good pass rush is seen as the best form of defence?

Kind of makes me feel a bit better about our decision on Avril.

I was thinking the same thing!!

April 27th, 2012, 9:02 am
Profile WWW
Pro Bowl Player

Could the Lions, hypothetically speaking of course, cut Backus or is his contract guarantees already in play?

April 27th, 2012, 9:55 am
Profile WWW
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

Ferris wrote:
Could the Lions, hypothetically speaking of course, cut Backus or is his contract guarantees already in play?

He had a $1.5M signing bonus, plus some incentive/workout bonuses. If he were cut before the season, the Lions would have to factor that $1.5M into the cap as well as any of the incentive/workout bonuses that were paid.

But why would they release him? Play him at LT this year, let Reiff compete for a starting spot at RT or RG, and use the year to see if Reiff can play LT in 2013.

April 27th, 2012, 10:08 am
1st Round Pick

I woke up and logged on my phone to nfl.com and started scrolling down the draft picks. Got to pick 10 and then it was like DE, DE, DE, DE, DE, DE (I exaggerate a little). Crazy.

April 27th, 2012, 10:14 am
RIP Killer

Ferris wrote:

I have a feeling the Lions will be preparing to part ways with Cherilus, and maybe Jason Fox as well. They won't cut Backus.

It should be an interesting competition in camp for the LT spot between Backus, Reiff and Culbreath. I think Jason Fox is all but done, the poor guy just can't stay healthy and therefore can't be counted on. But I think the Lions would still keep him and Hilliard, and prefer to cut the higher priced Cherilus.

April 27th, 2012, 10:21 am
Hall of Fame Player

vankman79 wrote:
BillySims wrote:
mwill2 wrote:
BillySims wrote:
Reif was the OT that I least wanted. He will not play LT in the NFL. He is projected as nothing more than a Guard by most NFL GM's. At least Adams is a Road Grader in the Running game.

Oh well. I guess I'll have to endure the next decade of a repeat of the hate for Backus only shifted to Reif.

I'm not even mad about this pick though. I have gotten used to the fact that I usually am disappointed with our top pick. The only exceptions to that was Stafford,Suh, and Fairely.

I've not seen him projected as a "nothing more than a guard" by anyone. The various reports I've read all indicate that he's a legit RT and a possible LT. If he happens to be able to play G as well, that's fine, but it seems he'll be able to play RT at the very least.

We'll find out soon enough where he fits and what he can really do, I guess.

So, your saying that because you haven't seen it, it didn't happen. What you seen is what reporters say about him. I listen to Sirius NFL radio all day every day. I hear from NFL GM's and other personnel guys.
I'm not saying your wrong about him. I'm just passing the info I have heard about him.

Anyway, maybe next year will be the first time in the a decade that every jackwagon under the sun won't be projecting an OT to us. Even the last 3 years, something like 60% of all mocks had us taking an OT. Just proves that it's true. If you fling enough turds at the wall, eventually, 1 will stick.

you say you listen to nfl channel all day, well tell us who has made these statements about him only being able to play guard? i have to tell you i drive truck all day long and listen to the nfl channel and i havent heard that at all. well i will admit i dont listen to much of the blitz or late hits because i really cant stand listening to adam shein or gill brandt. adam shein is as dumb as they come and i cant believe that they even put him on the air and gill brandt just always gets off subject telling a story that nobody wants to hear. but that sounds about like something that adam shein would say. everybody had him picked to go in the top 15.

Apparently you don't listen to moving the chains either for the last couple of days. Pat Kirwan has been quoting an O-line Coach, ( that he left un-named ), that he had lunch with. The Coach said the only O-lineman that was worthy of a 1st round pick this year is Kalil. And he said that in a normal year, Kalil would only go in the middle of the 1st round. He ranked Reiff middle of the 2nd round. He had most of this years O-linemen middle of the 3rd round or latter. Which is the traditional area to get your o-linemen. He was high on Schwartz though. So, keep an eye on him.

April 27th, 2012, 10:59 am
Hall of Fame Player

m2karateman wrote:
I have a feeling the Lions will be preparing to part ways with Cherilus, and maybe Jason Fox as well. They won't cut Backus.

It should be an interesting competition in camp for the LT spot between Backus, Reiff and Culbreath. I think Jason Fox is all but done, the poor guy just can't stay healthy and therefore can't be counted on. But I think the Lions would still keep him and Hilliard, and prefer to cut the higher priced Cherilus.

I agree, they won't touch Backus. However,...

Cut or trade Cherilus?

This year or next?

I hadn't thought much about those options; I just thought about dumping / dealing Peterman.

Also...

ESPN.com wrote:
Lions forced to make a long-term choice

April, 26, 2012 / 10:33PM ET
By Kevin Seifert | ESPN.com

EDEN PRAIRIE, Minn. -- Here's how to initiate an orderly transition at a key NFL position: Draft a highly regarded player when there is no immediate job opening. Let said player compete for a job that he'll win only if he's better than the established incumbent. Otherwise, give him a year or more of seasoning before elevating him into a prominent role.

ReiffThat's how I see Riley Reiff's early career going with the Detroit Lions. The player widely considered to be the second-best tackle in the 2012 draft could eventually replace left tackle Jeff Backus. Or he could take over for Gosder Cherilus at right tackle, or perhaps right guard Stephen Peterman. Or, in a perfect world for the Lions, Backus, Cherilus and Peterman defend their spots in training camp and Reiff gets some time to develop in a less urgent environment.

The Lions' choice of Reiff came only after the draft's top three cornerbacks, as well as its top safety, were selected. We'll never know how the Lions valued cornerbacks Stephon Gilmore or Dre Kirkpatrick, or if they were as enamored with safety Mark Barron as they were reported to be. But losing out on the opportunity to address their top needs forced the Lions to address a near-future issue.

They would have entered the 2012 season without a succession plan in place for Backus, but further delay one day would have caught up to them. Team building doesn't always take place in an orderly, linear fashion. You grab the guys you need when they're available, not necessarily when you need them, and you don't look back. That's what the Lions did Thursday evening.

April 27th, 2012, 11:02 am
Profile WWW
Hall of Fame Player

mwill2 wrote:
Billy, you aren't the only person who gets Sirius NFL radio. I've been listening ever since that channel was launched. It's not exactly exclusive information. Who on that radio station is claiming to have access to the entire league's draft boards? Sure, I've heard concerns about Reiff's athleticism but he's still been discussed as a tackle. I've not heard that "most" teams view him as "only" a guard.

But for the sake of argument, let's assume that indeed "most NFL GMs" view Reiff as "nothing more than a guard." Given that Mayhew has drafted better than "most NFL GMs" over the past few years, shouldn't we value his board more than everyone else's board?

And even if he is "only" a guard, most folks complaining about the pick wanted DeCastro. A guard.

For the record, at Martin Mayhew's press conference tonight, he said Reiff can play four positions on our OL. Schwartz said Reiff is a left tackle. Post-draft rhetoric, I know, but the Lions obviously think highly of him.

Obviously the Lions do think Highly of him. I just hope he can play CB also. Because we will continue to get slaughtered defensively if we can't get a legitimate starting CB. I believe that Janoris Jenkins was the far greater value for what he would have done for the Lions than Reiff will do. I do admit he would have been a far riskier pick though.

April 27th, 2012, 11:08 am
Rookie Player of the Year

My thoughts on the tackles:
    -I remember hearing Cherilus' salary recently and it seemed absurdly high for such a mediocre player--ah the old days before the rookie wage scale. ](*,) He's as good as gone.
    -I think it's worth giving Fox one more shot to stay healthy, especially now that we won't be relying on him to step up.
    -I know allenslions said they like Culbreath, but I think he won't make the final cuts. Seventh round, injury last year, and a weed problem? Not a great combination.
    -I always liked Hilliard and think he's worth keeping around as a back-up swing tackle.

April 27th, 2012, 11:13 am
Hall of Fame Player

LionFan57 wrote:
BillySims wrote:
Reif was the OT that I least wanted. He will not play LT in the NFL. He is projected as nothing more than a Guard by most NFL GM's. At least Adams is a Road Grader in the Running game.

Oh well. I guess I'll have to endure the next decade of a repeat of the hate for Backus only shifted to Reif.

I'm not even mad about this pick though. I have gotten used to the fact that I usually am disappointed with our top pick. The only exceptions to that was Stafford,Suh, and Fairely.

Pure Nonsense!

I'm going with Schwartz's take on Reiff!

The Detroit News wrote:
April 26, 2012 at 1:00 am

Lions draft OT Riley Reiff with 23rd overall pick
By Chris McCosky
The Detroit News

The 6-5, 313-pound Riley Reiff was a three-time state wrestling champion in high school in South Dakota. (Associated Press)

Allen Park— Jim Schwartz was very direct.

Iowa offensive lineman Riley Reiff, who the Lions took with the 23rd overall pick Thursday, is a left tackle, Schwartz said, and he's not a developmental player.

"It's not very often that the second offensive lineman on your board goes off at 23," Schwartz said. "Historically, there's four offensive lineman off the board by that point. We were very fortunate to be sitting at 23 and able to get the best player on our board who plays a position we where we were looking to get some younger players into the pipeline."

Reiff, the first Big Ten player selected, is just under 6-6 and 313 pounds and has been compared to Titans Pro Bowl tackle Michael Roos. He has average arm length, but he compensates with exceptional footwork and athleticism.

General manager Martin Mayhew said he could play every offensive line position except center, but Schwartz narrowed it down.

"He's a left tackle," Schwartz said. "He fits the criteria that you want at that position. He's big, tough, he's a former tight end and a three-time state wrestling champ (South Dakota). He comes from a great tradition of offensive linemen at Iowa. He's a good run blocker and a good pass protector.

"Even though he is young and will still improve in certain areas, we're not drafting a guy that's a developmental player."

So what does that mean for starting left tackle Jeff Backus, who will turn 35 in September and is coming off biceps surgery? Will he have to fight for his job? Will he be moved to guard?

"It's way too early to take that approach," Schwartz said. "We'll put them all out there and we'll play. Their play in training camp, in the OTAs and in the preseason, that will determine those things, not anything we are thinking right now."

Reiff is just glad for the chance to compete. Even though he was expected to go much higher than 23, he was not in New York Thursday. Instead, he was sitting in his barn at his home in Parkston, S.D., when he got the call.

"I wasn't watching TV," he said. "I just told myself, 'Whatever happens happens.' It didn't matter to me (where he was drafted). I'm just ready to play football and I am super excited to be a Detroit Lion."

As for competing for a starting job, Reiff was respectful but clearly up for the challenge.

"I will come in and compete and try to learn from the guys," he said. "We will see how it works out. I just know I am going to come in and work hard and make the best of it."

Reiff took over the left tackle spot at Iowa for All-American Bryan Bulaga (Packers). He started 37 of 39 games, 29 of those at left tackle. According to Iowa statistics, he had 38 touchdown-resulting blocks and 264 knock-down blocks in more than 2,500 plays.

"He's big, smart, tough and versatile," Mayhew said. "He was a three-year starter in a good program. We came into the draft thinking we needed to add some young players to that (offensive line) group and Riley fits the mold."

That said, Mayhew worked hard on Thursday to move up higher in the draft in hopes of landing a cornerback. South Carolina's Stephon Gilmore went at No. 10 to Buffalo and Alabama's Dre Kirkpatrick went at No. 17 to Cincinnati.

"We looked at all our options," Mayhew said. "We tried to go up and at one point we talked about moving back. We stayed put and were able to get a really good player."

Reiff had one brief run-in with the police at Iowa. He was involved in a chase on campus during his freshman year. The incident barely raised a flag with the Lions.

"We felt very confident with his explanation," Schwartz said. "It happened right when he went on campus as a freshman. It's something that's long in his past and he hasn't had any issues since. We all have done things as freshmen in college we don't want coming back. We are confident it was an isolated incident."

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2012 ... z1tEeQzEHf

What a monster.

This is why you don't spend a fortune in picks to trade up. (See Jerry Jones). There's still quality players that come to you.

Most of the commentary about Reiff that I have heard, and I listen all day long to Sirius NFL Radio, had him projected as a Guard in the NFL. Could they be wrong? Yes. Since we picked him, I hope they are. Apparently, you guys are mistaking my comments as me being mad about the pick. Your wrong. I even said I am not mad about it in my first comment about Reiff after we drafted him. I am, however, disappointed that we passed on a guy that I believe had far greater value to us than Reiff. And once again, we ignored the most glaring need in the process.

April 27th, 2012, 11:16 am
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

BillySims wrote:

Apparently you don't listen to moving the chains either for the last couple of days. Pat Kirwan has been quoting an O-line Coach, ( that he left un-named ), that he had lunch with. The Coach said the only O-lineman that was worthy of a 1st round pick this year is Kalil. And he said that in a normal year, Kalil would only go in the middle of the 1st round. He ranked Reiff middle of the 2nd round. He had most of this years O-linemen middle of the 3rd round or latter. Which is the traditional area to get your o-linemen. He was high on Schwartz though. So, keep an eye on him.

Billy, the analysis of one offensive line coach is a far cry from "most NFL GMs," which is what you claimed. And this OL coach isn't saying Reiff can't play tackle--the guy is just saying he rates Reiff as a round 2 guy. That's not the same as saying he is "nothing more than a guard."

April 27th, 2012, 11:27 am
Hall of Fame Player

mwill2 wrote:
BillySims wrote:

Billy, the analysis of one offensive line coach is a far cry from "most NFL GMs," which is what you claimed. And this OL coach isn't saying Reiff can't play tackle--the guy is just saying he rates Reiff as a round 2 guy. That's not the same as saying he is "nothing more than a guard."

+ 1.

April 27th, 2012, 11:37 am
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

thelomasbrowns wrote:
My thoughts on the tackles:
    -I remember hearing Cherilus' salary recently and it seemed absurdly high for such a mediocre player--ah the old days before the rookie wage scale. ](*,) He's as good as gone.
    -I think it's worth giving Fox one more shot to stay healthy, especially now that we won't be relying on him to step up.
    -I know allenslions said they like Culbreath, but I think he won't make the final cuts. Seventh round, injury last year, and a weed problem? Not a great combination.
    -I always liked Hilliard and think he's worth keeping around as a back-up swing tackle.

I wouldn't say Culbreath has a "weed problem". Both Fox and Culbreath may still make the team, particularly if they cut Gosder. The Lions have been known to keep five OTs on the roster, with one or two inactive on game day.

Backus
Reiff
Fox
Hilliard
Culbreath

Since Hilliard can move inside, he can be the swing man.

And, I have to say, Culbreath's "injury" last season is extremely suspect, since it remains unspecified in all reports I've seen or heard. I think it was done just to avoid having another team sign him off the PS ala Lydon Murtha.

April 27th, 2012, 11:47 am
Color Commentator - John Madden

I like the pick and I'm not as down on it as some. You need to have a plan for the replacement of Jeff Backus, and Jason Fox is always hurt, Gos isn't a LT, Culbreath smokes a'day, and Hilliard is a backup. The remaining defenders weren't exactly what I would see as being instant upgrades so you go OT and don't look back.

April 27th, 2012, 12:44 pm
Reply to topic   [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next